REPENT!!! THE END IS HERE????

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:38 pm
Neo, are we gonna be able to sit back an' have a cold drink, or a you gonna shun evil, Hell-bound free thinkers like me?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 11:32 pm
xingu wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Well it certainly escapes me how Christians, fundamentalist or otherwise, are such a subversive group, and it certainly sounds more dangerous to me to call them 'dangerous' than does any 'danger' they could possibly present.

We're not talking about a "narrowly defined instance" here. We're talking about a group of conservative Christians who want to tear down the wall that separates church and state. They want laws based on the Bible. It's called Christianism. And it does not comprise of a few weirdo's on the fringe that have little or no following.

From the conservative newspaper Washington Times;
Quote:
President Bush and the Republican Party in his home state of Texas are being criticized by Democrats on the touchy issue of whether America is a Christian nation.

At its convention in Austin, the Texas Republican Party voted to reaffirm a plank in its platform that disputes "the myth of the separation of church and state." The plank celebrates the United States as "a Christian nation."

An official of an organization affiliated with the Democratic National Committee castigated the action.

"This is part and parcel of who the GOP and their conservative base are," said David Harris, spokesman for the National Jewish Democratic Committee. "While this is nothing new, it certainly raises to new excesses the lengths this Republican Party is going to in order to tear down the wall separating church and state.

"It is a wall deeply cherished by American Jews -- and many other Americans for that matter," Mr. Harris added.

A prominent Democrat called on Mr. Bush to repudiate the Texas party's action.

"The Texas party has been off the charts for a long time," said James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute. "Frankly, I would hope President Bush would repudiate that. We are calling on him to do so."

Mr. Zogby said the Texas conservative platform "goes against what Bush has said and flies in face of what he has stood for, but it reflects more a policy of [U.S. Rep.] Tom DeLay and some of those hard-liners on the Christian right."
SOURCE

From a speech given by a Baptist on a Baptist website;

Quote:
I have given this long account of the Baptist heritage for religious liberty for a reason. It serves as a preface to what I am about to say and must say. The Baptist presence -- and it is a significant presence, upwards from 25% at last count -- within the "Religious Right" is an aberration. It is a repudiation of all that Baptists stood for until the last 20 years. That may surprise you since so many Baptists are prominent in the leadership of the "Religious Right" which has been working overtime to tear down the wall of separation between church and state. Surprise alone, however, is not an adequate emotion for this situation. I now must tell you why you should be alarmed by this development.

Baptists are "born again" Christians. No one is born a Baptist. We are the ones who believe that each person must come to faith by individual and personal conviction and commitment. Baptists have always believed in the power of the gospel to win hearts and change lives. All the gospel needs is a free and open hearing. That is why religious liberty is so important to Baptists. For us, real faith can never be produced by compulsion or coercion. For us, real faith can never be passed down like an heirloom from one generation to the next. For us, real faith must be accepted freely by individual commitment and conviction.

The "Religious Right" has a different understanding of faith. They intend to make the United States a Christian nation by political action and legislation. For them, politics is a mission field. For them, getting voters to the polls is like raising armies for crusades to reclaim the holy land. For them, faith can be spread by inquisition, imposition, and coercion.

SOURCE

Let me say that I believe all, or most all, those who want to destroy the wall that seperates church and state are conservative Christians that believe in the Rapture as defined by the Robertson's, Falwell's and so on.

But I also believe not all people who believe in Rapture want to destroy the church and state seperation as defined in our Constitution.

It's amazing to me, xingu, that you cannot see the hypocrisy in your own camp.

You posted a link on 'Christianism' that is from The Daily Kos, a political website that expresses a liberal viewpoint.

So, what does this unabashed liberal blog say to convince us of the grave danger of 'tearing down the wall of separation between church and state' ?

The Daily Kos wrote:
Many Americans identify themselves as Christians. This includes liberals, moderates, conservatives, blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, Democrats, Republicans and independents. The values of Christianity closely mirror the values of liberalism that this nation was founded upon, often to the extent that some Christians believe that they are the values this nation was founded upon.

Take poverty, for example. Christ tells us, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me (Matt. 25:40)". Helping the poor is a Christian value. This is mirrored in the Declaration of Independence when it says that "All men are created equal". Rich, poor, liberal, conservative -- we are all equal. We are all Americans. We should pursue the common good because it is good for all.

He uses the command of Christ to help the poor as a justification for the liberal political agenda!

Are you onboard with this guy that the political process should indeed be used to fulfill the commands of Christ? That this is the true role of government?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 06:04 am
Real wrote:
It's amazing to me, xingu, that you cannot see the hypocrisy in your own camp.

You posted a link on 'Christianism' that is from The Daily Kos, a political website that expresses a liberal viewpoint.

WOW Real. Maybe I should drop my hypocrisy and post conservative blogs about conservative points of view only. We all know that conservatism is unbiased and never lies.

I noticed you didn't have much to say about the conservative Washington Times or the Baptist website. I guess they're OK. I didn't practice any hypocrisy there, did I?

Real wrote:
So, what does this unabashed liberal blog say to convince us of the grave danger of 'tearing down the wall of separation between church and state' ?

Obviously you have either;
1. Not read the blog
2. Don't understand what you read.

Real wrote:
He uses the command of Christ to help the poor as a justification for the liberal political agenda!

Damn Real, I was reading the wrong Bible. I was reading the liberal Bible. I should have been reading the conservative Bible.

Now let me see, what does this conservative Bible say;

Blessed [are] the rich in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] keep that thou hast, and screw the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me. Matthew 19:21

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a poor man to enter into the kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the rich. Matthew 26:9

And he called [unto him] his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this rich widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: Mark 12:43

He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the poor he hath sent empty away, for he knew they were lazy. Luke 1:53

The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the rich; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luke 4:18

And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed [be ye] rich: for yours is the kingdom of God. Luke 6:20

Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the rich the gospel is preached. Luke 7:22

But when thou makest a feast, call the rich, the maimed, the lame, the blind: Luke 14:13

And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the rich; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore [him] fourfold. Luke 19:8

For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he stayed rich, that ye through his wealth might be rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9

Real wrote:
Are you onboard with this guy that the political process should indeed be used to fulfill the commands of Christ? That this is the true role of government?

Does Kos say "the political process should indeed be used to fulfill the commands of Christ" or are those who want to tear down the wall that separates the church and state say that?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 08:47 am
May I point out to RL that Christianity isn't the only religion that commands the people to help the poor?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 09:54 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
May I point out to RL that Christianity isn't the only religion that commands the people to help the poor?

Maybe not. But you'd be hard put to name any religion that puts the command into practice to the extent that Christianity does. You would be hard put to name other religions that have significantly established schools, hospitals, thrift shops, soup kitchens, leper colonies, homeless shelters, etc. etc. etc. for the good of all, not just those of their particular faith to the extent that Christians have done this. It is a cornerstone and foundation of Christian faith and practice.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:15 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Maybe not. But you'd be hard put to name any religion that puts the command into practice to the extent that Christianity does. You would be hard put to name other religions that have significantly established schools, hospitals, thrift shops, soup kitchens, leper colonies, homeless shelters, etc. etc. etc. for the good of all, not just those of their particular faith to the extent that Christians have done this. It is a cornerstone and foundation of Christian faith and practice.

Try the Muslim religion.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/review-858-p327/$File/irrc_858_Krafess.pdf

http://www.answers.com/topic/zakat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42567-2005Apr10.html

http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/charity/charity_zakat10b.html

Try the Buddhist religion.

http://www.google.com/Top/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Buddhism/Engaged_Buddhism/Organizations/

One of the problems with Christians who give this type of reply is their ignorance of anything outside of their religion. Closed minds, ignorance and an obscene pride in their religion makes them think their religion is the only one out there who bother to help people outside of their own religion.

The Christian religion is the richest religion in the world so it has the opportunity to help a greater number of people. It also means its followers are in lesser need than those in poorer countries. So it would make sense that other poorer religions with a greater number of poor and needy people will contribute more of their resources to those of their own in need.

Wealth or dogma does not make the Christian religion better then any other religion in any respect.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:49 am
xingu wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Try the Muslim religion.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/review-858-p327/$File/irrc_858_Krafess.pdf

http://www.answers.com/topic/zakat

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42567-2005Apr10.html

http://www.themodernreligion.com/misc/charity/charity_zakat10b.html

Try the Buddhist religion.

http://www.google.com/Top/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Buddhism/Engaged_Buddhism/Organizations/

One of the problems with Christians who give this type of reply is their ignorance of anything outside of their religion. Closed minds, ignorance and an obscene pride in their religion makes them think their religion is the only one out there who bother to help people outside of their own religion.

The Christian religion is the richest religion in the world so it has the opportunity to help a greater number of people. It also means its followers are in lesser need than those in poorer countries. So it would make sense that other poorer religions with a greater number of poor and needy people will contribute more of their resources to those of their own in need.

Wealth or dogma does not make the Christian religion better then any other religion in any respect.

Sir, I TEACH comparitive religions. Take care in what you cite as ignorance of other religions. Just down the street from where I live is a Jewish community center that is open to everybody. And it's a really neat place.

But if you will read carefully what I wrote, I did NOT say that other religions do not help the poor. Here is what I posted verbatim:

Quote:

Now for the sake of argument, please list a few Islamic schools that are open to the general public.

Please list oh three or four hospitals and/or universities that Islam in the name of Islam has built and makes available to everybody in other than hugely predominant Islamic nations.

Where are the soup kitchens in New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles that are organized by Buddhists or Hindus or Moslems? There must be at least a few. But if you go seek them out, you're much more likely to find them organized and staffed by Christian congregations or organizations.

It is true there are few poor countries in which Christianity is the predominant religion. There is a long running debate whether Christians are better off because they are Christian, or whether they are Christian because they are better off. An interesting paradox don't you think?

But Islam seems to have a LOT of money to build mosques. One minority segment of it apparently has a LOT of money to buy bombs and explosives and fund terrorist activities. You would think they would be able to cobble together a thrift shop or a homeless shelter or a soup line here and there wouldn't you?

I have never said that Islam or any other non-Christian religion does not do any good whatsoever. All do some good and all have offered some blessings for their people.

But I will defend Christianity every time it is attacked on the benevolence issue, because no religion can even come close to competing with Christianity there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:34 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Sir, I TEACH comparitive religions

That ^^^ gives you no special authority (and please remember to use spellcheck).

The post that your sentence ^^^ is attached to is clear evidence of your tremendous knowledge gaps in terms of what various religious groups offer to their surrounding communities.

It's positively frightening that you are in a position of instructing others. That's how the world gets into the messes it does. People without knowledge teaching others.

<shudders>

A gated mind is a dangerous thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
ehBeth wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

That ^^^ gives you no special authority (and please remember to use spellcheck).

The post that your sentence ^^^ is attached to is clear evidence of your tremendous knowledge gaps in terms of what various religious groups offer to their surrounding communities.

It's positively frightening that you are in a position of instructing others. That's how the world gets into the messes it does. People without knowledge teaching others.

<shudders>

Amen.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:48 am
ehBeth wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

<shudders>

Yes I did typo misspell comparative. It was, however, posted in a sentence in a response to a member who accused me of ignorance of other religions. So sorry I offended you Miss Authority on What Makes the Messes in the World. I personally think if there was more Christian charity, and less liberal-condescending-patronizing-claiming-moral-authority-I'm-better-than-you-are types of arguments, not only would the world be in less of a mess, but A2K and other forums like it would be a lot more edifying and more fun..
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
Oh, we're blaming liberals now are we?

Let's see... who is it that it's in charge of Iran? The Conservatives. (Religious fundamentalist conservatives, but conservatives nonetheless).

Who's in charge of Saudi Arabia and therefore responsible for its tyrannical treatment of its people and women? (Well, the Head of State is a Liberal, but the majority of the policy makers are Conservatives).

Who was in charge of Afghanistan and responsible for keeping Osama bin Laden safe? The Consevative Taleban.

In fact, quite a lot of the Islamic Fundamentalist terrorism can be linked to states (if we're to believe the Bush administration) that have Conservative political parties, except for Iraq and Syria's Ba'th Party which are actually left-wing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 09:27 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Oh, we're blaming liberals now are we?

Let's see... who is it that it's in charge of Iran? The Conservatives. (Religious fundamentalist conservatives, but conservatives nonetheless).

Who's in charge of Saudi Arabia and therefore responsible for its tyrannical treatment of its people and women? (Well, the Head of State is a Liberal, but the majority of the policy makers are Conservatives).

Who was in charge of Afghanistan and responsible for keeping Osama bin Laden safe? The Consevative Taleban.

In fact, quite a lot of the Islamic Fundamentalist terrorism can be linked to states (if we're to believe the Bush administration) that have Conservative political parties, except for Iraq and Syria's Ba'th Party which are actually left-wing.

Who blamed liberals? (They usually are at fault, but every now then actually get something right.)

But you have to define what you mean by 'conservative' and 'liberal' before your statement makes sense, however. The European definitions of these terms tend to mean very different things from how most Americans define the terms. The classical definitions have been turned topsy turvy over here.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Sir, I TEACH comparitive religions.

Sounds like you still have a lot to learn.

Foxfyre wrote:
Now for the sake of argument, please list a few Islamic schools that are open to the general public.

Please list oh three or four hospitals and/or universities that Islam in the name of Islam has built and makes available to everybody in other than hugely predominant Islamic nations.

Where are the soup kitchens in New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles that are organized by Buddhists or Hindus or Moslems? There must be at least a few. But if you go seek them out, you're much more likely to find them organized and staffed by Christian congregations or organizations.

A dumb statement from someone who claims to teach comparative religions. Perhaps you should educate yourself and read what I supplied.

Quote:
Exact figures are not easy to track. Faith-based nonprofits saw donations increase 5.5% last year, to $81.78 billion, according to estimates by the American Association of Fundraising Counsel, which does not specifically track Muslim charitable giving. Unlike the major Christian or Jewish charities, which rely on local offices and foundations to channel funds to various causes, America's Islamic charities have yet to build such sophisticated networks.

Many believe it's simply a matter of time before America's Muslim community, now estimated at between 6 million and 10 million strong, will build institutions rivaling those built by Christians and Jews.

SOURCE

Foxfyre wrote:
I personally think if there was more Christian charity, and less liberal-condescending-patronizing-claiming-moral-authority-I'm-better-than-you-are types of arguments, not only would the world be in less of a mess, but A2K and other forums like it would be a lot more edifying and more fun.

A very, very stupid and condescending statement showing your extreme bias and closed mind that seems to think only in terms of stereo-typing.
I can better understand why Santanta get frustrated and insults you as it is next to impossible to have an intelligent debate with people like you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
xingu wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Sir, I TEACH comparitive religions.

Sounds like you still have a lot to learn.

Don't we all?

Foxfyre wrote:

A dumb statement from someone who claims to teach comparative religions. Perhaps you should educate yourself and read what I supplied.

I teach comparative religions including what the various religious groups believe, teach, and put into practice. So far you haven't responded to any questions I've asked, so I'm assuming you have no answers to the questions.

Quote:
Exact figures are not easy to track. Faith-based nonprofits saw donations increase 5.5% last year, to $81.78 billion, according to estimates by the American Association of Fundraising Counsel, which does not specifically track Muslim charitable giving. Unlike the major Christian or Jewish charities, which rely on local offices and foundations to channel funds to various causes, America's Islamic charities have yet to build such sophisticated networks.

Many believe it's simply a matter of time before America's Muslim community, now estimated at between 6 million and 10 million strong, will build institutions rivaling those built by Christians and Jews.

SOURCE

The issue was not what Christians 'are going to do' or what Muslims 'are going to do' but what are they doing? Islam has been around for 12-1300 years now. That was time to do at least some of it don't you think?

Foxfyre wrote:
I personally think if there was more Christian charity, and less liberal-condescending-patronizing-claiming-moral-authority-I'm-better-than-you-are types of arguments, not only would the world be in less of a mess, but A2K and other forums like it would be a lot more edifying and more fun.

A very, very stupid and condescending statement showing your extreme bias and closed mind that seems to think only in terms of stereo-typing.
I can better understand why Santanta get frustrated and insults you as it is next to impossible to have an intelligent debate with people like you.

It's okay Sweetie. I understand that only liberals can make personally insulting statements to other members and it isn't allowed of conservatives. You'll just have to consider the source here.

Only those who can't answer the questions without hanging themselves have any problems with me. But the fact that you do is fine with me. Just ignore anything I post and I'll do the same with you and we'll get along fine.

(But until you can answer the questions I asked, you really have no leg to stand on.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 05:22 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Sir, I TEACH comparitive [sic] religions.

If that is actually so (and i personally think that Fox is an inveterate liar who makes up much of the barrage of claims she makes for her academic background and activities), it is a pathetic comment on the standards set down by the people who employ you to do so.

You have demonstrated an appalling ignorance about the First Ecumenical Council at Nicea, and about the Council of Trent, just to provide two examples from this thread--without going into the glaring ignorance of history and comparative religion you have elsewhere demonstrated. I personally don't consider you to be, based upon your performance at this site, qualified to teach comparative religion to a group of ten-years in a Sunday school class--any number of whom have a better shot at knowing the correct spelling of the word comparative.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 06:59 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

No need to point it out Wolf. I am well aware of it.

My point is that if one believes there is a 'wall of separation between church and state' to the extent that most liberals CLAIM to believe it (at least when they want to bash others for anything that resembles moral principles as a part of public policy) , then it seems a bit hypocritical to justify their own political agenda on the basis that it is in accordance with obedience to the commands of Christ.

There is an influential movement among liberals right now to try to appeal to religious folks by using religious language and bring them to support politically liberal causes by appearing to be motivated by religious or moral principle.

The passage from Matt 25 quoted in xingu's Daily Kos link is one that is very frequently used to try to present liberals as the ones who are 'really' motivated by moral and religious principle in caring for the poor by raising taxes on them, for example.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:17 pm
It is a sad commentary when one who cannot use upper case letters correctly can only find the incorrect spelling of the word comparative to debate a fellow poster.

Calling his opponent a liar seems to imply that Mr. Setanta is above other mortals and he has a mystic knowledge of their persona that nobody else is aware of.

IMHO, Foxfyre (who I do not always agree with) makes many a good argument that is glossed over by her opposition with little thought or actual proof.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:27 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So sorry I offended you Miss Authority on What Makes the Messes in the World. I personally think if there was more Christian charity, and less liberal-condescending-patronizing-claiming-moral-authority-I'm-better-than-you-are types of arguments, not only would the world be in less of a mess, but A2K and other forums like it would be a lot more edifying and more fun..

Wow - if Fox's own post right here isnt the perfect example of a condescending, patronizing, claiming-moral-authority, I'm-better-than-you-are type of argument, itself. Striking.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It is a sad commentary when one who cannot use upper case letters correctly can only find the incorrect spelling of the word comparative to debate a fellow poster.

Intrepid - I added the emphasis here. I agree that criticising the other poster's spelling is pretty silly - it admittedly does make one look like one is desperate for arguments. But you are wrong to say that the spelling thing was the only thing found in argument against Foxfyre's sometimes mindboggling descriptions of the Christians' supposed moral, open-minded superiority. There was a bunch of other things said as well.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 07:46 pm
nimh wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Intrepid - I added the emphasis here. I agree that criticising the other poster's spelling is pretty silly - it admittedly does make one look like one is desperate for arguments. But you are wrong to say that the spelling thing was the only thing found in argument against Foxfyre's sometimes mindboggling descriptions of the Christians' supposed moral, open-minded superiority. There was a bunch of other things said as well.

I specifically responded to a member who thought it important to direct an intentional personal insult to another member. In this case that member happened to be me.

Now then, to address your somewhat milder insulting comment: please show me in any place where I said anything about the Christian's supposed moral, open-minded authority. Take your time. I'll wait.

I fully admit that I think and said the Church has much more to show for its faith in the way of universities, hospitals, homeless shelters, food kitchens, thrift shops, leper colonies, etc. etc. etc. than what you can attribute to any other faith. If you disagree, I invite you to compile a comparative list of the universities, hospitals, homeless shelters, food kitchens, thrift shops, leper colonies, etc. etc. etc. that are organized and managed by other faith groups for the benefit of all people, not just their own faith.

And that point came up in direct response to a member who was excoriating the Christian Church/faith. I did not suggest that other faiths are not benevolent, and you will not be able to find any quote of mine at any time or any place where I said that.

What is mind boggling is that the liberals on the forum can say the most personally insulting things to anybody and nobody cares. But let the target respond in kind and POUNCE!!!! Why is that do you think?
0 Replies