REPENT!!! THE END IS HERE????

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:36 pm
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
... I teach comparitive religions ...

What were the Eleusinian Mysteries all about then Foxy?

Are you seriously asking or this this a test? As any discussion on these is of necessity rather lengthy, would you be more interested in the greater or lesser mysteries?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:57 pm
Hang on just a sec - lemme grab a pommegranite and get comfy here on this shock of wheat straw ... this could be interesting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:59 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Hang on just a sec - lemme grab a pommegranite and get comfy here on this shock of wheat straw ... this could be interesting.

yeah really, I love pagan ritual analysis. Perhaps Persephone will join us to share your pommegranity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:

What were the Eleusinian Mysteries all about then Foxy?

Are you seriously asking or this this a test? As any discussion on these is of necessity rather lengthy, would you be more interested in the greater or lesser mysteries?

Translation: I don't have a clue what you're talking about, so hang on while i scramble around and cobble something together.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:45 pm
Goodness...I haven't heard anything about the Eleusinian mysteries for a long time.

Also, I thought that only a fairly fragmented knowledge had remained to us?

If anyone really knows a lot about them, that's cool.

Has more been discovered since I last read about them? Do I remember wrongly?

More! Hurry up!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:46 pm
There was that novel, if i could only remember it . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:49 pm
Mary Renault, The Bull from the Sea . . . great novel . . . ends with heroine going off to participate, if i recall correctly. Did you read any Mary Renault, Miss Wabbit? The King Must Die, perhaps . . . ?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:50 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I submit that by the evidence such is not the case; what you demonstrate is not teaching but rather is the preaching of a particular religious construct. For one to teach anything in honest, nonpartisan manner, that one must draw upon objective, legitmately authoritative source material, transmitteng therefrom to the target audience a balanced, accurate, non-agendized sum-and-substance precís of the subject at study. Now, while I don't teach comparative religion - in fact I don't much teach anything at all, having neither the patience nor the compassion to perform the excercize meaningfully - I've long studied it, diligently, objectively, and in painstaking depth through post-secondary and into graduate academic setting along with ongoing independent study, theologic, philosophic, and historic. From my point of view, it is difficult to determine whether your demonstrated disingenuousness pertaining to the matter derives from conscious, agenda-driven duplicity or from a mere paucity of knowledge and understanding. In anyevent, the promulgation of misinformation is not teaching, it is, at the most charitable, proselytization, if not outright propagandizing. And BTW - I'm of the broad school which holds that the academically accepted and generally applied course title for the matter here at discussion is "Comparative Religion", in the singular, not, as in your useage, "Comparative Religions", the plural. A pedantic, perhaps even (and if so, admittedly) pedagogic, point to be sure, but a valid, concrete point none the less..

And the last course I took was "Comparative Religions" (plural) and the one before that was as you said, "Comparative Religion" singular. I have found that in the less stodigly rigid academic circles either is widely used and quite appropriate. The difference may lie in whether the coursework is more of a comparison of religious beliefs within religion in general or whether one is looking at the different beliefs and practices within different denominations and/or religious groups. It is the latter in which I generally teach, in mostly nonacademic settings, though I have studied both in academic and nonacademic settings.

To wit:.

From a Muslim site
http://www.muslimtents.com/shaufi/b22/b22_pdf.htm

Generic using both terms
http://www.comparativereligion.com/

From a Buddhist site:
March 9, 2004: Basic Buddhism - The End of Suffering
Comparative Religions/Jim Maechling
Palos Verdes Peninsula High School
Palos Verdes, California
http://www.urbandharma.org/kusala/revkus/upcoming04.html

An academic listing
http://www2.pfeiffer.edu/~mabdulla/academic_courses.htm

Now, having said that, I will comment that my statement re comparative religions was in direct response to a rather snotty remark from another member that I should know something about what different groups believe before expressing an opinon. Other than on a very limited basis on theological points, I can't think of any time in months, maybe years, that I have even engaged in a discussion on comparative religion or religions here, so you really have no clue as to what legitmately authoritative source material I use and have used nor whether I transmit to the target audience a balanced, accurate, non-agendized sum-and-substance precíís of the subject at study. Your presumption that I do not is both speculative and mildly insulting.

I have long acknowledged that you are a nonreligious if not anti-religious type and have allowed you your opinions realizing that they came from that perspective. I would think a balanced, accurate, non-agendized discussion would also allow a Christian to express personal opinions from his/her perspective as well. And that is all I have been doing. Not teaching sir. Nor preaching. But absolutely expressing my opinion.

Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
There is a difference between 'scripture' and a New Testament.

Yeah ... precisely the same differentiation as may be made between same as between "Novels" and Moby Dick.

What I apparently explained very poorly in the earlier discussion in which I was trying to correct a member that the books of the New Testament were selected at the Council of Nicea was to explain the difference between the manuscripts that the Church used at that time and the New Testament that we have today. I would approach the subject differently if I had to do it all over, but I would not change my opinion in any way that the manuscripts used in the Second through the Fourth Century Church was not the same 'Scriptures' as the "New Testament" that was accepted at the Council of Trent more than a millenium later. All the manuscripts that were incorporated into the New Testament, however, were circulating in that earlier time. It's just that a relatively small number of the documents actually made it into the book.

Quote:
Quote:
There is a difference between authoritarian writings and what would be considered 'canonized' as Scripture.

Yeah, sorta; the functional difference is consensus of opinion, and even that is not uniform across the various religions which derive their particular, occasionally conflicting, itterations of "scripture" from the Abrahamic mythopaeia. Not to say, mind you, that the Abrahamics are singular in such respect, far from it - just putting them at the top of the list of those displaying enthusiasm for the practice.

Your own unique perspective is showing here. Smile

I will stick to my guns that many writings that would have made it into the New Testament were lost for one reason or another, some writings that probably should not have made it into the New Testament, at least as incomplete as they are, should not have been included, and many writings that probably should be in the New Testament were not included because there was not sufficient agreementon their authority. Nevertheless, through all that, the Church wound up with a pretty exceptional document that we call the New Testament.

Quote:
Quote:
There was no full agreement and there has never been full agreement among the Church leaders hten or now as to all the interpretation of the writings and/or which ones deserved to be elevated to the status of Scripture.

Thus unambiguously putting the lie to the notion any one or another anthology of myths, mysteries, morés, aphorisms, fables, parables, hero legends, and assorted other fanciful literary excercizes might represent the immutable, revealed, incontravertable truth of some omnipotent, omniscient, patristic overseer.

See my previous comment.

Quote:
Quote:
And as I do not care to exchange insults with any member here, I'll move on until such member, trolls, and children take their naps.

Well, that's up to you, but if you're not going to use 'em, don't leave your binky and your teddy there; pick 'em up and put 'em back in your cubbyhole. And don't wander too far off if you don't wanna miss snack time.

Oh, and Set ... mind the sticks if you would, please; play nice now.
[/QUOTE]

Well, unlike some I do this for fun. And I will reserve the right to limit my participation to discussions with folks who actually like to discuss things and can do so without being childish and hateful and thus allow for civil discourse and a pleasant exercise.. Each to their own I guess.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:55 pm
Setanta wrote:
Mary Renault, The Bull from the Sea . . . great novel . . . ends with heroine going off to participate, if i recall correctly. Did you read any Mary Renault, Miss Wabbit? The King Must Die, perhaps . . . ?

Read everything she ever wrote......

Theseus indeed is said to have, as I recall, restored the mysteries, and does participate.

But I have read about them elsewhere, but have zilch scholarly knowledge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 03:58 pm
Well, certainly, Miss Renault was not a fount of detailed information--but very little is actually known of them, and what little there was was buried by the goddamned Christians in the sixth or seventh century. Fortunately, they were unable to completely expunge the records of the ancient world, although they did their damnedest. Christians in the first millenium of the current era were the Taliban of their day.

Fox gets caught out making up stories, and describes it as childish and hateful to have it pointed out. Typical.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 04:02 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, certainly, Miss Renault was not a fount of detailed information--but very little is actually known of them, and what little there was was buried by the goddamned Christians in the sixth or seventh century. Fortunately, they were unable to completely expunge the records of the ancient world, although they did their damnedest. Christians in the first millenium of the current era were the Taliban of their day.

Fox gets caught out making up stories, and describes it as childish and hateful to have it pointed out. Typical.

They have often been the Taliban of their day.

Henry VIII's Reformists wiped out almost all trace of English religious sculpture, and a whole lot more besides, just as one other example.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 05:34 pm
dlowan wrote:
They have often been the Taliban of their day.

Henry VIII's Reformists wiped out almost all trace of English religious sculpture, and a whole lot more besides, just as one other example.

One of the great trio of nineteenth century Boston histoirans was John Motley, who wrote, among other works, The Rise of the Dutch Republic. He tells the story of the rebellion against the Spaniards (who then owned the Nethelands--what we would today call Belgium, Holland and parts of western Germany) from the abdication of Charles V in 1555 to the assassination of William the Silent in 1584. He describes in detail the iconoclasts, who were especially active in Antwerp and what is now Belgium. One cannot escape the conclusion that he approved, this scion of Massachusetts Puritanism two centuries on. I rather suspect that it would not take much, were there an opportunity, for modern fundamentalists to "turn Taliban" in our own times.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 07:15 pm
I just watched a Futurama episode and it said the 2nd comming happend in the year 2443. So we got nothing to worry about.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
Christians in the first millenium of the current era were the Taliban of their day.

hi Setanta,

Does that include the first couple centuries when they were relatively few in number; and just having 'no political influence' might have been seen as a positive development since it wasn't uncommon that they were killed for their beliefs?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:21 am
Yes, it was uncommon that they were killed for their beliefs in the first century of the current era. It was only later, centuries later, that there was any official policy to kill christians. Rather, they were seen (if they were noticed at all) as a sect of the Jews. The Romans made no distinction between christians and other Jews. The policy of the later Julio-Claudian emperors and the Flavians was basically don't ask don't tell with regard to cults--so long as they were no threat to established order, they were ignored. You don't get active persecution of Christians (still then seen as a Jewish sect) until the Severids in the early third century, and that resulted from their political support of the rivals of Septimius Severus--they were "persecuted" for backing a loser, not for their creed. Don't make stuff up, "real life."

One of the local fundy loony groups threw a flyer up on our porch . . .

The House of Yaweh Newsletter

Nuclear War to start September 12, 2006

We Must Warn the World.

My Dear Friends,

We must warn the world of nuclear wars that will start no later than September 12, 2006. You need to take part in this Last Days Work of Yaweh.

-- excerpted from the newsletter of "Yisrayl Hawkins"

Since the first century of the current era, the concept of the last days has been kept on at least a simmer, when not actually boiling over. In every century of our era, there have been such claims, and in the middle ages, claims of the coming "millenium" were a cottage industry to fleece the gullible.

An interesting take on these sorts of claims is the Fifth Monarchy men. Do an online search about them, they were important in the seventeenth century era of the Puritans in England. After the end of the civil wars in England, the rump of the Long Parliament was finally dissolved. Soon, Oliver Cromwell declared himself the Lord Protector. He convened what is known as the Barebones Parliament. (It was so named for one member, Praisegod Barebones, whose family name was probably orignally Barbon, or Barbonne.) The fifth monarchists created enough trouble, without actually having the numbers to successfully oppose Cromwell, that he dissolved the Barebones Parliament, and ruled as Lord Protector without a parliament.

I rather suspect that this sort of thing will continue for as long as christianity continues to batten upon the credulous.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, it was uncommon that they were killed for their beliefs in the first century of the current era. It was only later, centuries later, that there was any official policy to kill christians. Rather, they were seen (if they were noticed at all) as a sect of the Jews. The Romans made no distinction between christians and other Jews. The policy of the later Julio-Claudian emperors and the Flavians was basically don't ask don't tell with regard to cults--so long as they were no threat to established order, they were ignored. You don't get active persecution of Christians (still then seen as a Jewish sect) until the Severids in the early third century, and that resulted from their political support of the rivals of Septimius Severus--they were "persecuted" for backing a loser, not for their creed. Don't make stuff up, "real life."

One of the local fundy loony groups threw a flyer up on our porch . . .

The House of Yaweh Newsletter

Nuclear War to start September 12, 2006

We Must Warn the World.

My Dear Friends,

We must warn the world of nuclear wars that will start no later than September 12, 2006. You need to take part in this Last Days Work of Yaweh.

-- excerpted from the newsletter of "Yisrayl Hawkins"

Since the first century of the current era, the concept of the last days has been kept on at least a simmer, when not actually boiling over. In every century of our era, there have been such claims, and in the middle ages, claims of the coming "millenium" were a cottage industry to fleece the gullible.

An interesting take on these sorts of claims is the Fifth Monarchy men. Do an online search about them, they were important in the seventeenth century era of the Puritans in England. After the end of the civil wars in England, the rump of the Long Parliament was finally dissolved. Soon, Oliver Cromwell declared himself the Lord Protector. He convened what is known as the Barebones Parliament. (It was so named for one member, Praisegod Barebones, whose family name was probably orignally Barbon, or Barbonne.) The fifth monarchists created enough trouble, without actually having the numbers to successfully oppose Cromwell, that he dissolved the Barebones Parliament, and ruled as Lord Protector without a parliament.

I rather suspect that this sort of thing will continue for as long as christianity continues to batten upon the credulous.

Your current characterization of early Christians as basically invisible and of no consequence doesn't really fit well with your earlier statement that they were the 'Taliban' of that era , ( thereby implying that they were a powerful governing elite and ruled with an iron fist and forced all to accept their religion and live by it's tenets......or else).

Which theory do you really mean to support?

btw I said nothing of an 'official policy' to kill Christians. If they often lost their lives , property etc due to their faith, whether it was resultant from an 'official policy' or not, the deed is still done, is it not?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:52 pm
The millenium encompassing the 4th through 14th Centuries CE most accommodatingly invites parallels to be drawn between the Christians of then and the Taliban of today.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 11:19 am
From ABC, this may be interesting to those who are interested in end time theologies and beliefs.

The opening question is provocative. Do we have the power to control our destiny or does God and/or nature operate on a timeline that's going to be followed no matter what humankind does? And how many who believe in the Biblical tribulations to come think it will appear as by natural means or acts of human ordained war when it does?

"Last Days on Earth"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 11:36 am
real life wrote:
Your current characterization of early Christians as basically invisible and of no consequence doesn't really fit well with your earlier statement that they were the 'Taliban' of that era , ( thereby implying that they were a powerful governing elite and ruled with an iron fist and forced all to accept their religion and live by it's tenets......or else).

Which theory do you really mean to support?

I stated that they were the "Taliban" of the first millenium of the current era. I then said that they were not the objects of the persecution of the authorities in the first century of the current era. I pointed out that there was no official policy of persecuting "Christians" until the advent of Septimius Severus (end of the second century of the current era), and that they were then attacked for political, and not religious reasons--they backed the loser. Which lead us to this:

Quote:
btw I said nothing of an 'official policy' to kill Christians. If they often lost their lives , property etc due to their faith, whether it was resultant from an 'official policy' or not, the deed is still done, is it not?

If you can demonstrate that it occurred. But if it were not a matter of official policy, i ask you what support you have that such a practice was common (as you inferentially alleged earlier). Without records that such persecution was casaully and commonly carried out, we fall back on Christian legend--almost all of which refers to official persecution, and almost all of which before Septimius Severus, and in the nearly one century between Severus and Diocletian, has no support in the written records. One then comes face to face with an unsubstantiated allegation of persecution from the supporters of a sect in love with the notion of martyrdom for the faith (although usually, only in those circumstance in which one does not oneself actually suffer any physical pain).
0 Replies