Political Correctness: Make a Judgment

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:56 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
But this bubbling over of white guilt and kneeling down and kissing Al Sharpton's feet until Al has got his fill of him is grotesque.

Speak for yourself--i'm not reacting to "white guilt," and i don't kiss anyone's feet, nor am i a supporter or admirer of Sharpton.

The comment was racist and sexist, whether or not you are willing to see that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:57 pm
Lash wrote:
I don't like firings.

Can't the audience make a choice about him?

I think it is a two week suspension. Likely with pay, but not sure. Rather more serious is the damage to his reputation.

But it is a corporate decision and thus is a reflection of monetary considerations above all. They are covering their ass.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
But this bubbling over of white guilt and kneeling down and kissing Al Sharpton's feet until Al has got his fill of him is grotesque.

Speak for yourself--i'm not reacting to "white guilt," and i don't kiss anyone's feet, nor am i a supporter or admirer of Sharpton.

You're also not Don Imus, of whom I was speaking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
You quoted me before making your remark, so it was understandable that i would consider your remarks as reflecting on what i had written, even if the reference was to Imus.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 03:51 pm
I'm with the few that see this as way more to do about nothin' than it deserves. It's ridiculous that people can't say what they want. Who cares? Does Imus saying "nappy headed ho's" make the Rutgers players nappy headed ho's? Evidently it does. They accepted the words and allowed them to hurt.

Did Imus saying Ho's make me, as a female, a Ho? No. Imus doesn't define me. He doesn't owe me an apology because he wasn't talking about me. I'm not a Ho. Maybe he was talkin bout some a ya'll, but not me.

If someone at a party had said this, would you have demanded an apology? If that person said something about white honkys as a group of you stood around bantering, would you have said "Whoa! Hold up. You need to apologize for that! That's racist and hurt my feelings? I hope not.

Come on. He's not on public airwaves, he's on cable. Turn the channel. Write to the station. But the rest of this 24 hour coverage, suspension, press conferences with college women talking about how hurt they were, and Sharpton carrying on and talking about redemption... Give me a break.

Redemption? Groveling? It's all grossly ridiculous, IMO.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:03 pm
For what its worth,here is my reply to another person talking about this subject.

He started out by saying that if it was stupid and ignorant it had to be racist.

Here is my response,which sums up the whole thing for me...

Not everything that is stupid and ignorant is racist,but everything racist is stupid and ignorant.

You are misunderstanding me.
While I do 100% agree that what he said was stupid,I personally dont think it was racist.
IF he knew it might be received as racist,then he was stupid.
But I dont think he knew that.
After all,he has a 30 year history of making those kinds of stupid comments,and nobody has ever complained before,at least not like this.
So,why now is it considered racist?
Why now are people calling for his head,and demanding he apologize,when for his whole career he has made assinine comments like this without being punished for it?

If he had been punished before then you might have a valid case.

The reason I mentioned Sharptons comments is because he is all of a sudden the final arbiter of what is racist or not.
If you look at his own history,he has made some extremely racist comments on his own,so he is in no way qualified to judge Imus or demand an apology.
The only people that should be demanding an apology are the women at Rutgers that he insulted.

I listened to their press conference today and cant help but wonder how they can allow anyone to have that much power over them.
One of them said that his comments had "taken the joy away" or words to that effect about winning the championship.
I dont understand how that is possible.
His comments had nothing to do with their championship,only their appearance.

Now,before you think I am defending Imus,I will say again that he was wrong,and his comment was extremely stupid.
But,I dont think it was meant to be racist.I just think he tried to tell a joke and failed.
Comics do that on stage all the time,yet they dont get crucified for
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:23 pm
If I called you an ignorant cracker but didn't "mean it to be racist", would it be any less racist? Why then is it a relevant point (and I think he isn't so stupid he doesn't know this is racist, by the way) that Imus "didn't mean" it as racist when he said "nappy-headed hos"?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:26 pm
snood wrote:
If I called you an ignorant cracker but didn't "mean it to be racist", would it be any less racist? Why then is it a relevant point (and I think he isn't so stupid he doesn't know this is racist, by the way) that Imus "didn't mean" it as racist when he said "nappy-headed hos"?

No,it wouldnt be racist,at least not to me.
I dont let anyone have that much power over me,and I refuse to play the "victim game".
I dont go looking to be insulted,nor do I let words like that bother me.

So,if you were to call me that,no I wouldnt think it racist.
I would just ignore it or laugh at it.

Sorry if that disapoints you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:27 pm
No disappointment here. The statement would be racist whether you acknowledged it or not. Sorry if you're too ignorant to see that.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:32 pm
snood wrote:
No disappointment here. The statement would be racist whether you acknowledged it or not. Sorry if you're too ignorant to see that.

I dont believe that.
Something can only be racist or insulting if you choose to take it that way.
If you give someone else that much power over your own self worth,what does that say about you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:37 pm
I think people need to grow a little thicker skin.

If you were to call me a white cracker, honky Ho b!tch or anything else, it would say more about you than it would about me.

I think when the Rutgers woman talked about the statement being an insult to all women, she would have done more service to have said women are strong, capable beings and then show that by having the team mebers talk about their acomplishments and how it doesn't matter what some radio personality says about them, that they are very proud of their efforts and hard work.

I dunno, it just came across as whiney, and when we talk about allowing someones stupid, thoughtless comments to hurt our feelings it tends to support the weaker sex / weaker race image. I'd have rather had them stand with their shoulders thrown back (rather than slooping in their seats) and their chest out with smiles on their faces making it known that they are bigger and better people than Imus or anyone else that makes such backwards uneducated statements.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:20 pm
Bastard.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:37 pm
Here are some choice comments from Imus in the past...

On blacks:

"William Cohen, the Mandingo deal." (Former Defense Secretary Cohen's wife is African-American.)

"Wasn't in a woodpile, was he?" (Responding to news that former black militant H. Rap Brown, subsequently known as Abdullah Al-Amin, was found hiding in a shed in Alabama after exchanging gunfire with police. Imus is here alluding to the expression "nigger in the woodpile.")

"Knuckle-dragging moron." (Description of basketball player Patrick Ewing.)

"We all have 12-inch penises." (After being asked what he has in common with Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Latrell Sprewell from the New York Knicks, and Al Sharpton.)

"Chest-thumping pimps." (Description of the New York Knicks.)

"A cleaning lady." (Reference to journalist Gwen Ifill, possibly out of pique that she wouldn't appear on his show. "I certainly don't know any black journalists who will," she wrote in the April 10 New York Times. The Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page used to appear, but after he made Imus pledge not to make offensive comments in the future, he was never asked back.)

On Jews:

"I remember when I first had [the Blind Boys of Alabama] on a few years ago, how the Jewish management at whatever, whoever we work for, CBS, or whatever it is, were bitching at me about it. […] I tried to put it in terms that these money-grubbing bastards could understand."

"Boner-nosed … beanie-wearing Jewboy." (Description of Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post, a frequent guest.)

On women:

"That buck-tooth witch Satan, Hillary Clinton." […] "I never admitted it when I went down there and got in all that big jam, insulting Bill Clinton and his fat ugly wife, Satan. Did I? Did I ever say I was sorry for that?"

On Native Americans:

"The guy from F-Troop, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell." (This is a reference to the zany Indian characters on the 1960s TV sitcom F-Troop. They had names like "Roaring Chicken," "Crazy Cat," and "Chief Wild Eagle.")

On Japanese:

"Old Kabuki's in a coma and the market's going up. […] How old is the boy? The battery's running down on that boy." (Reference to Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi, who died the following week.)

On gays:

"I didn't know that Allan Bloom was coming in from the back end." (The homosexuality of the author of The Closing of the American Mind became widely known when Saul Bellow published Ravelstein, a novel whose protagonist was based on Bloom, who by then was deceased.)

"The enormously attractive [NBC political correspondent] Chip Reid, I can say without being accused of being some limp-wristed 'mo."

On the handicapped:

"Janet Reno's having a press conference. Ms. Reno, of course, has Parkinson's disease, has a noticeable tremor. […] I don't know how she gets that lipstick on (laughter) looking like a rodeo clown."

-From an article in Slate Magazine, by Timothy Noah
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:57 pm
Lash wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Lash wrote:
I am more pissed about "hos"--and the gender angle. Nappy headed isn't a problem for me--my family used to use that term when our kid's hair is not groomed...

Referring to the women's team as hos pisses me off in a major way.

Bastard.

Ever listen to rap music?

Yes. What's your point? I hate that, too.

It's a hell of a lot more offensive to women than what Imus said.

But I don't hear Al Sharpton complaining about that.

Why is that?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:10 pm
They actually have complained about rap--

I never knew that other ****.

People should turn him off.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 03:32 am
snood wrote:
Here are some choice comments from Imus in the past...

On blacks:

"William Cohen, the Mandingo deal." (Former Defense Secretary Cohen's wife is African-American.)

"Wasn't in a woodpile, was he?" (Responding to news that former black militant H. Rap Brown, subsequently known as Abdullah Al-Amin, was found hiding in a shed in Alabama after exchanging gunfire with police. Imus is here alluding to the expression "nigger in the woodpile.")

"Knuckle-dragging moron." (Description of basketball player Patrick Ewing.)

"We all have 12-inch penises." (After being asked what he has in common with Nat Turner, Malcolm X, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Latrell Sprewell from the New York Knicks, and Al Sharpton.)

"Chest-thumping pimps." (Description of the New York Knicks.)

"A cleaning lady." (Reference to journalist Gwen Ifill, possibly out of pique that she wouldn't appear on his show. "I certainly don't know any black journalists who will," she wrote in the April 10 New York Times. The Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page used to appear, but after he made Imus pledge not to make offensive comments in the future, he was never asked back.)

On Jews:

"I remember when I first had [the Blind Boys of Alabama] on a few years ago, how the Jewish management at whatever, whoever we work for, CBS, or whatever it is, were bitching at me about it. […] I tried to put it in terms that these money-grubbing bastards could understand."

"Boner-nosed … beanie-wearing Jewboy." (Description of Howard Kurtz of the Washington Post, a frequent guest.)

On women:

"That buck-tooth witch Satan, Hillary Clinton." […] "I never admitted it when I went down there and got in all that big jam, insulting Bill Clinton and his fat ugly wife, Satan. Did I? Did I ever say I was sorry for that?"

On Native Americans:

"The guy from F-Troop, Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell." (This is a reference to the zany Indian characters on the 1960s TV sitcom F-Troop. They had names like "Roaring Chicken," "Crazy Cat," and "Chief Wild Eagle.")

On Japanese:

"Old Kabuki's in a coma and the market's going up. […] How old is the boy? The battery's running down on that boy." (Reference to Japanese Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi, who died the following week.)

On gays:

"I didn't know that Allan Bloom was coming in from the back end." (The homosexuality of the author of The Closing of the American Mind became widely known when Saul Bellow published Ravelstein, a novel whose protagonist was based on Bloom, who by then was deceased.)

"The enormously attractive [NBC political correspondent] Chip Reid, I can say without being accused of being some limp-wristed 'mo."

On the handicapped:

"Janet Reno's having a press conference. Ms. Reno, of course, has Parkinson's disease, has a noticeable tremor. […] I don't know how she gets that lipstick on (laughter) looking like a rodeo clown."

-From an article in Slate Magazine, by Timothy Noah
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix.

This list proves my point.
Over the years he has been as insulting as possible,being racist and sexist to just about everyone.
Hw was allowed to continue without any kind of sanctions before,so he had no reason to expect this time to be any different.

Why was it?
Why is he being crucified now if he wasnt any other time?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:23 am
mysteryman wrote:

Why was it?
Why is he being crucified now if he wasnt any other time?

Obviously some finally and now realised that he crosed the line?

Why not before and why not with others?

I don't know.

But I'm glad that a very influential man had been stopped - and that such gets now a bit attention again - worldwide.
This certainly is helpfull for others.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:23 am
I am sorry, but calling Hillary "Satan" is not a commentary about women. It's just the truth.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am sorry, but calling Hillary "Satan" is not a commentary about women. It's just the truth.

There's no need to apologize, smegma-breath.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:58 am
Setanta wrote:
You quoted me before making your remark, so it was understandable that i would consider your remarks as reflecting on what i had written, even if the reference was to Imus.

I quoted you to respond to what you had to say. That doesn't make everything I said about you.
0 Replies