Political Correctness: Make a Judgment

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:37 am
Mexica writes
Quote:
I agree, sort of. I really cannot understand how anyone can conclude that the use of "tar baby" in the above described context had any racial intent. Of course, that's not to say that it was said without any racial over- or undertones, but there is no real proof of racial malicious intent. So why use time trying to determine if it was said with malice?

Now, I agree it was insensitive of Mr. Romney to utter "tar baby" only if he was aware of the racial connotation associated with that word. However, if ignorant of its potential to racially offend, it would seem his political aspirations have suffered a set-back as a result of his ignorant use of a word he thought racially benign. In either case, the onus was incumbent upon Mr. Romney to act diplomatically and use sensitive language- he didn't, and now he'll have to shoulder the political fallout, whatever it may be. In other words, the situation he finds himself in is his fault and his fault alone.

A reasonable assessment. However, most of my growing up was in the segregated South, I had parents and neighbors who would never believe they were racist but definitely held racist views arising out of their own cultural upbringing, and more enlightened social conscience was slow in coming. And in all that, I honestly had never heard the term 'tarbaby' used in any kind of racial way and did not think of it that way myself.

Maybe I should have known better. Maybe Mr. Romney should have known better. But does anybody seriously think that these days a politician making a political speech would intentionally use a word that he had any idea would be heard as a racial slur by anybody?

The reasonable process would be when an unintended gaffe is pointed out, you acknowledge your ignorance, apologize for the unintended offense, and everybody moves on.

Not much in politics is reasonable these days, however.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:17 pm
snood wrote:
Lash, here is the post of mine which offended you (minus only an aside to edgarblythe agreeing with his comment that people seemed to want Obama to be "flawless") I've bolded the remarks that offended you:

You are in error. The remark you bolded didn't offend me. What irked me is that you were clearly talking about me, but didn't have the cajones to either address me or drop the pretense and refer to me directly. It's just one of a few admitted pet peeves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My intent was only to defend Obama for not having settled in his mind about gay marriage.

Had that been true, you wouldn't have expanded to negative characterizations of me. Therefore, I say you had additional intentions... I don't mind so much that you did--but that you tried to avoid admitting it.

We disagree about the amount of damage he can and will do to the cause of gay marriage, especially compared to some of the other candidates.

How do you know what damage I think he can do? I've never addressed that issue. I'm pissed that he doesn't view gay people as equal to him and you and me, and thinks he should add in on the side of those who would deny civil rights to roughly 5% of the general population. It pisses me off.
I think his freedom to come to his own conclusions about that issue is similar to your or anyone's freedom of speech.

You are in error again. He has a right to his own opinion. He has a right to his own vote. But, as Blatham's thread indicates, exercise of that right in the form of activism or voting against the full rights of citizens who are gay makes him a homophobe and an oppressor of a segment of our society. I'm not trying to change your mind about homosexuality--but you must see how denying someone rights to equality is more than speech.
If I was insulting to use the example of "demanding to use any word they damn well want" in trying to defend someone...
A reminder. That wasn't insulting at all. I actually think you are pretty clear on that. I think your entire re-angled approach is intentionally dishonest.

I don't think I deserved to be called a coward or a homophobe, but since I first offended you, perhaps we can call it even, accept that we differ on the significance of Obama's view, and move on.

I should try to speak less aggressively. Mincing words seems dishonest to me--but I don't seek to offend. You didn't offend me and I would say nothing you have said changes the intent of what I communicated to you, although "coward" was a bit strong.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 10:13 pm
I can't say I completely understand what you're pissed about, Lash.

My intention in that post - in that whole thread - is defending (and I hate being defensive) my support of Obama. Not to insult you, not to defend homophobia or the resistance of gay marriage.

You want - I think - an admission that I meant you, when I said "they" in that statement. Further, it seems you want an admission of the dishonesty involved in not being upfront that I meant Lash, and not "they".

Okay - I meant Lash, and not "they", and I can see how it could be seen as dishonest not to make a point of using your name. But the post and the reason for it was not all about Lash, or even mostly about Lash, or Snood's dishonest tactics in getting a jab in at Lash.

By the way -You say I have no idea what you think would be the significance of Obama's stance on gays. I have some idea about it, because you suggested his stance could mean "oppression" to gays, didn't you?

Look, I don't want to fight with you Lash. If I wanted to, I wouldn't sneak around trying to say sneaky things to start it up - I'd do what I used to do, and say something nasty right up front. We've been through some very ugly exchanges that I very much regret.

Can you let this thing go?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 03:56 am
Lash wrote:
Had that been true, you wouldn't have expanded to negative characterizations of me. Therefore, I say you had additional intentions...

"I say" is right. What you are stating here is an interpretation, not a fact.

Lash wrote:
I don't mind so much that you did--but that you tried to avoid admitting it.

And that's a second interpretation, based on the debatable assumption that the first one is correct. Have you considered the possibility that your first interpretation is mistaken, and that Snood had nothing to avoid? If not, why didn't you? And if you did, why did you dismiss this possibility?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:38 pm
Thomas--
His admission cleared it up for me.

snood--
I appreciated you clearing that up. Actually, the forthright insult you mentioned in your post is preferable (to me) than the sneakier indirect swipe. Again--thank you. All better.

My central irritation with Obama (and you) on this point is not how Obama's opinion may affect gay marriage, but that he doesn't recognise gay people as his equals.

But, we can drop it if you wish.

Frankly, for the record, I am happy you have Obama to defend. I am excited about his candidacy. Just probably won't vote for him. I'm happy for you, too.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:21 am
Good knows I have my problems with Snood's politics, but I've never considered him a coward... and I don't see evidence he's a homophobe here either. Interestingly, I attacked that same post for being overly sensitive about Obama. Laughing I don't think someone who supports Civil Unions could, or rather should, be considered to be denying anyone civil rights. Nor do I think a black man should necessarily have to stand shoulder to shoulder with gay men for gay rights (I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with either, but I'm more opposed to bullies than I am to confrontation). Frankly, I find this supposition absurd. I don't even think a gay man should necessarily have to stand shoulder to shoulder with gay men for gay rights. Surely, along with the right to protest we have the right not to. I don't see how Obama should have any less right to choose his battles than anyone else and I most certainly don't see cause to label Snood coward or homophobe based on his support of Obama. That's waaaaaaaay over the top, Lash.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
Appreciate the dialogue, O'Bill. I'll explain my comments to see if you can understand why I made them. I hope no one thinks my remarks are re-opening the disagreement with snood, as we have settled it.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Good knows I have my problems with Snood's politics, but I've never considered him a coward...
When you have an agreement not to make personal remarks to another poster--and then you see where they have made personal remarks about you, but by not naming you, followed the letter of the agreement--if not the spirit, you may consider that fine. I consider it dishonest and in the realm of cowardly. I may not be "right," but that is my honest opinion.
and I don't see evidence he's a homophobe here either.
If you read blatham's thread {paraphrased}: "Anti-Gay Marriage Is Homophobic," you'll understand my comment. I thought Blatham's thread title was over the top, or that there was some bit of light in the anti-gay marriage issue, which could save those against gay marriage from the charge of homophobia, but as I read and thought, I discovered Blatham was correct. The only reason to be against gay marriage is because the people wanting to get married are gay--and that is the definition (to me) of homophobia--hence my former remark which you take issue with. If you can prove me wrong, please do so. I'm open to it, but quite skeptical of your ability to do so.
Interestingly, I attacked that same post for being overly sensitive about Obama. Laughing I don't think someone who supports Civil Unions could, or rather should, be considered to be denying anyone civil rights.
Civil Unions are lesser, not equal. That is quite simple.

Nor do I think a black man should necessarily have to stand shoulder to shoulder with gay men for gay rights (I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with either, but I'm more opposed to bullies than I am to confrontation). Frankly, I find this supposition absurd. I don't even think a gay man should necessarily have to stand shoulder to shoulder with gay men for gay rights.
The military imagery sort of clouds the issue. My remark sourced from my opinion that those who have suffered abuse should be more sensitive when they see others suffer it. This is just an opinion, but one closely held. You KNOW the suffering. You've FELT the suffering. And you choose to INFLICT the suffering, unable to claim the ignorance of most racists and homophobes. Whether or not you agree, I hope you at least understand why I made those remarks.

Surely, along with the right to protest we have the right not to.
Surely.
I don't see how Obama should have any less right to choose his battles than anyone else and I most certainly don't see cause to label Snood coward or homophobe based on his support of Obama.
I see. You were not privy to many facts as you wrote this post. Snood's support of Obama wasn't the reason for my remarks--although they are related.
That's waaaaaaaay over the top, Lash.
Maybe you understand now.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:29 pm
I sure didn't mean to reopen any worms-cans between you two. I understand you just fine, Lash. Seems I always do. I don't see what's lesser about Civil Union than Marriage... Seems like we covered this a year or two ago, but I'm not sure. I couldn't rightly care less, myself, but I can understand how some religious people wish to keep the word Marriage to themselves... not the "Rights" mind you. I remember Nimh making an excellent argument that the homophobe angle is not unlike the racist angle of years ago. The difference is choice. It has not been definitively proven that there is no choice involved in homosexuality. Don't bother convincing me I'm wrong; I do believe there are millions with NO choice... but also believe there are fence sitters as well that could be encouraged one way or another. I've known too many women (and probably more men than I know) that have dabled in it, only to learn they were straight all along... or even mostly straight. This being the case, and with the subject being anathema to so many religious folks... I think it reasonable to respect gay rights while not encouraging homosexuality. While such an admission, or position, in your mind may make me a bigot; I'll remind you that's only your opinion and each of us are entitled to our own.

Myself; I think marriage could fairly be considered a religious term and would therefore be unopposed to it being done away with as far as government is concerned entirely. Give everyone a "Civil Union" License and let the churches sort out who gets married... or not.

I still think "coward" was, at least, the wrong word as your justification doesn't support it. I'd also be curious to learn if you think I, too, am a homophobe?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
O'Bill wrote:
I don't see what's lesser about Civil Union than Marriage . . .

Many insurance carriers only recognize marriage as a basis for offering dependent coverage within a group policy; many hospitals and hospices only recognize marriage a basis for visiting rights, domiciliary rights (when the "next of kin" is allowed to stay overnight at the facility) and the right to make decisions for an in-patient with diminished capacity; many state and local tax codes only recognize marriage as the basis for the joint-filing of returns.

In 1996, Congress rammed through a measure in record time, and President Clinton immediately signed it into law, which is known as the Defense of Marriage Act. It does not prevent states from recognizing same-sex marriage, as some anti-gay-marriage activists claim, but it does negate the "full faith and credit" provision of the Constitution with regard to same-sex marriage, and it prohibits the recognition of same-sex marriage by the Federal government.

The act reads:

1. No state (or other political subdivision within the United States) need recognize a marriage between persons of the same sex, even if the marriage was concluded or recognized in another state.

2. The Federal Government may not recognize same-sex or polygamous marriages for any purpose, even if concluded or recognized by one of the states.

Article IV, Section I, of the Constitution reads:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Without the Defense of Marriage Act, other states would be obliged to recognize, to give "full faith and credit" to a same-sex marriage legally contracted in another state. I do not know if anyone has ever challenged the Defense of Marriage Act on such a basis, but given the difficulty the proponents of same-sex marriage currently face in simply obtaining recognition of the right to marry, i rather doubt it. A lawyer would have to comment on whether such a case would have merit.

In the "landmark" 1954 decision in Brown versus Board of Education, which concerned itself with segregated schools, Mr. Justice Warren, writing the majority opinion, wrote:

We conclude that, in the field of public education, the doctrine of "separate but equal" has no place. Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal.

I would say, and i know that many proponents of same sex marriage would say, that civil unions and marriage are not only not equal, but will always be inherently unequal.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:12 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I sure didn't mean to reopen any worms-cans between you two. I understand you just fine, Lash. Seems I always do. I don't see what's lesser about Civil Union than Marriage...

Then, you support the heterosexuals being limited to Civil Unions and the homosexuals adopting the term marriage...

I couldn't rightly care less, myself, but I can understand how some religious people wish to keep the word Marriage to themselves... not the "Rights" mind you.

I don't think they have the right to exclude the word from use by people they don't like. It's unchristian.

I remember Nimh making an excellent argument that the homophobe angle is not unlike the racist angle of years ago. The difference is choice. It has not been definitively proven that there is no choice involved in homosexuality.

OK, to move forward, what if it is 100% choice? Consenting adults shouldn't be discriminated against because of what they like to do in bed, should they? Who gets to decide who is worthy of marriage? Do you feel comfortable telling other people they don't have the rights you do?

Don't bother convincing me I'm wrong; I do believe there are millions with NO choice... but also believe there are fence sitters as well that could be encouraged one way or another.

Why would you want to encourage someone who to ****? That seems bizarre.
I've known too many women (and probably more men than I know) that have dabled in it, only to learn they were straight all along... or even mostly straight. This being the case, and with the subject being anathema to so many religious folks... I think it reasonable to respect gay rights while not encouraging homosexuality.

This is sad. Your argument puts you in a position of superiority, as if you are the arbitor of how people should live. "Encouraging homosexuality...?" How about living your life and letting others live theirs? What if you were the minority group here and the homosexuals were concerned with your life--and worried about "encouraging" your football viewership or pool playing habits? It's so frighteningly easy for some of us to actually buy into this hideous social hierarchy and not see how easily it could be turned on us. Don't approve them or their "lifestyle" if you don't want to--but don't assume superiority over them. They are as human as you are--they should have all the rights you have. It is so hard for me to understand how you can deny that.
While such an admission, or position, in your mind may make me a bigot; I'll remind you that's only your opinion and each of us are entitled to our own.
True.

I still think "coward" was, at least, the wrong word as your justification doesn't support it. I'd also be curious to learn if you think I, too, am a homophobe?

As your comment on my post preceded your knowledge of what I referenced, I'm not impressed with your opinion on the particular point re "coward". As to homophobe, the definitions vary greatly. Some require that homosexuals are hated, some require only that the homophobe in question seeks to reduce a homosexual's enjoyment of their full rights as a citizen.

So, depends on the context. Blatham's thread did convince me that people who seek to reduce gay rights are homophobic. Does that define you?

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:25 pm
Allrighty then. Until such time as the two did furnish equal rights, I would have to side with ya'll. Only the "separate by equal" portion of that argument gives me pause... as there is no "separate" if the law is well written. Every marriage is separate from every other no matter what you call it. I repeat; I'd just as soon like to see the word marriage removed from law to eliminate the argument all together. I empathize with both the gays and the religious folks, but, I think the religious folks far outnumber the gays, have always had their sacred word, and their rights to at least that much should be recognized. Hence, I think the word should be given back to the Church where it belongs. Let them do with it what they will. I would be unopposed to harsh penalties for any form of stigmatization applied to Civil Unions as a protective measure... at any rate... but it would be best to simply recognize all Marriages as Civil Unions in the eyes of the Law.

Ps. I didn't know, or remember, Clinton did that. I'm surprised there isn't more animosity towards him for it. Judging by Lash's passion; I'd expect Liberals to being doing back-flips.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 01:47 pm
The reference to "separate but equal" is not as between one marriage and another, but as between marriage and civil union (if you are responding to my post). Marriage and civil union are not equal in terms of how the two descriptions of contract are and can be distinguished by the law as put into practice in the thousands of jurisdictions which make up the United States. I agree that the law should see marriage and civil union as equivalent contracts, and that one term or the other ought to be dispensed with, and the same rights offered to all adults. However, you will continue to the have the problem that religious people want to have marriage recognized as a unique contractual state, and to deny it to couples of the same sex.

As for what Clinton ever did nor didn't do, you make an assumption which i considered unwarranted--several, in fact. One is that simply because Clinton was a Democrat, that he could be considered a liberal. It would help to remember that in 1992, the elder Bush was seen as an economic disaster, and business leaders looked to Clinton to create a healthy business climate, from which they could profit. Keep in mind that liberals howled about the "cowardice" of the elder Bush for not taking a stronger stance against the Chinese government after the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989. Not only did Clinton not take a firm stance with the Chinese, he couldn't wait to start doing deals with them, which is one reason that business leaders continued to favor him. In fact, he couldn't wait to make trade deals with China and to give them "favored nation" status, and positively peed his pants at the prospect of huge campaign contributions from the Chinese.

Which leads us to another assumption of yours, which is that someone whom you are pleased to describe as liberal will necessarily approve of everything that Clinton did. Do you consider it reasonable to suggest that every self-described conservative in this country approves of everything that the Shrub does or has done?

Finally, you assume that people with liberal opinions did not object to the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. Many did, but as is so often the case when the Congress wants to steal a march on the public, and the President is willing to cooperate, it got very little press for a controversial topic, and the conservative Republicans who then dominated Congress could assure that the word got out to their conservative and religious constituency without relying on major media outlets--which outlets gave the Act the ho-hum treatment. In fact, the vocal support of same sex marriage which you see ten years later is in many respects a product of the anger and disillusionment that liberal Americans felt at the collusion of Clinton with a Republican Congress in the passage of the Act.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:03 pm
Lash wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I sure didn't mean to reopen any worms-cans between you two. I understand you just fine, Lash. Seems I always do. I don't see what's lesser about Civil Union than Marriage...

Then, you support the heterosexuals being limited to Civil Unions and the homosexuals adopting the term marriage...

I couldn't rightly care less, myself, but I can understand how some religious people wish to keep the word Marriage to themselves... not the "Rights" mind you.

I don't think they have the right to exclude the word from use by people they don't like. It's unchristian.

I remember Nimh making an excellent argument that the homophobe angle is not unlike the racist angle of years ago. The difference is choice. It has not been definitively proven that there is no choice involved in homosexuality.

OK, to move forward, what if it is 100% choice? Consenting adults shouldn't be discriminated against because of what they like to do in bed, should they? Who gets to decide who is worthy of marriage? Do you feel comfortable telling other people they don't have the rights you do?

Don't bother convincing me I'm wrong; I do believe there are millions with NO choice... but also believe there are fence sitters as well that could be encouraged one way or another.

Why would you want to encourage someone who to ****? That seems bizarre.
I've known too many women (and probably more men than I know) that have dabled in it, only to learn they were straight all along... or even mostly straight. This being the case, and with the subject being anathema to so many religious folks... I think it reasonable to respect gay rights while not encouraging homosexuality.

This is sad. Your argument puts you in a position of superiority, as if you are the arbitor of how people should live. "Encouraging homosexuality...?" How about living your life and letting others live theirs? What if you were the minority group here and the homosexuals were concerned with your life--and worried about "encouraging" your football viewership or pool playing habits? It's so frighteningly easy for some of us to actually buy into this hideous social hierarchy and not see how easily it could be turned on us. Don't approve them or their "lifestyle" if you don't want to--but don't assume superiority over them. They are as human as you are--they should have all the rights you have. It is so hard for me to understand how you can deny that.
While such an admission, or position, in your mind may make me a bigot; I'll remind you that's only your opinion and each of us are entitled to our own.
True.

As your comment on my post preceded your knowledge of what I referenced, I'm not impressed with your opinion on the particular point re "coward". As to homophobe, the definitions vary greatly. Some require that homosexuals are hated, some require only that the homophobe in question seeks to reduce a homosexual's enjoyment of their full rights as a citizen.

So, depends on the context. Blatham's thread did convince me that people who seek to reduce gay rights are homophobic. Does that define you?

I'm temped to not respond at all, since you're too lazy to properly separate quotes... and it's a real pain to do so after someone marks up a post with color... but I like you, so I'll respond down here and hope you can figure out the where/why. It won't be as detailed as it would have been.

I do not presume to put myself in a position of superiority. Contrarily, I'd say that description fits better with those who view all who are less progressive than they are with contempt. I think you're on a hypocritical path when you recognize gay rights while treating those indoctrinated in religion for millennium's views with wanton disregard. I'm neither gay nor religious, but have no trouble empathizing with either.
Then, you support the heterosexuals being limited to Civil Unions and the homosexuals adopting the term marriage...Lash, this is idiotic and demonstrative of a total disrespect for religious tradition.

Back to your "this is sad"; BS. I don't have any problem with people who smoke pot, or drink alcohol nor consider them bad in any way shape or form but I can understand that religious folks think neither should be encouraged... and I respect their right to think this way. Look down your nose from your perch all you wish, but you won't convince me otherwise.

I don't seek to reduce gay rights but neither do I feel it just to totally disregard millennium's of religious tradition... and moreover consider it foolhardy to ask a minority politician, with plenty of hurdles to negotiate as it is... to be bullyragged into championing a cause that contradicts his own religious beliefs. IMHO, there is room for disagreement here that doesn't require homophobia.

Last time I encountered genuine homophobia at a wedding; I slow danced with a gay man in solidarity... and thoroughly enjoyed the bewilderment on bigoted faces. Yours and Blatham's definition for homophobe needs some work.

(That last post was in response to Setanta's exclusively... this one is to Lash's... I'm multi-tasking.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 02:20 pm
Laughing LOL Set... I assumed none of those things. You did. Or, more accurately, you assumed I assumed them. Laughing Just as a "for instance": I distinctly remember the liberals doing back flips over Clinton's non-reaction to the massacre at Tienanmen Square. Remember; my beloved sister is a text book liberal... and may have been living with Soz and 150 other vegetarians at the time. :wink:

To the extent that religious people actually wish to confer less rights to gays (other than use of the term "marriage") I would agree it is out of bigotry and would not support it. Again, give the term back to the church where it belongs.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 03:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
The reference to "separate but equal" is not as between one marriage and another, but as between marriage and civil union (if you are responding to my post). Marriage and civil union are not equal in terms of how the two descriptions of contract are and can be distinguished by the law as put into practice in the thousands of jurisdictions which make up the United States.

Do I understand you correctly? You would have no problem with civil union if they conferred the same rights on the couples entering them as marriage does? You don't care about the symbolic part?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:09 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think it reasonable to respect gay rights while not encouraging homosexuality.

What in Jesus's name is "encouraging homosexuality"? What does that even mean?

Is telling people growing up and fearful about admitting they're homosexual that it's OK to be gay - as OK as it is to be straight - "encouraging homosexuality"?

Is wanting to give gays the same rights and opportunities as straight people "encouraging homosexuality"?

Is saying that gay people should be able to get married just the same as straight people are "encouraging homosexuality"?

Is including gay characters on the same footing in the same kind of roles in TV series or, say, cartoons, "encouraging homosexuality"?

If it's not any of that, then what is it, and is it even halfway something that happens on a relevant scale? And if it is any of the above, how does treating being gay as just as OK and normal as being straight amount to "encouraging" it?

How could one argue that treating gay people as equal to straight people - which is basically what saying that being gay is as OK as being straight comes down to - means "encouraging" it?

And by far most importantly of all - doesnt the whole notion that homosexuality is something you shouldnt "encourage" imply or admit that being gay is in fact something less than OK, something less valuable or right than heterosexuality? Isnt a rejection of the equal rights of gay people as equally worthy citizens implied in the very notion?

How can one say that one is for equal rights for gays , but that they shouldnt be encouraged? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:10 pm
(Mind you, I responded to that post of O'Bill's as I read it, and havent read this page of the thread yet.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:36 pm
I am too lazy to give everyone their respective bubbles. Therefore I am speaking in red and Bill, in black.

Quote:
I do not presume to put myself in a position of superiority.
When your argument included "dabblers" in sexual orientation, who you deemed "fence-sitters," who could be encouraged to fornicate with the opposite sex-- I can't be held responsible for whatever I say to that. LOL. I can't believe you said that. I thought the homos were the ones recruiting. From my reading of your statements, you have a superior attitude toward gay people.

Quote:
Contrarily, I'd say that description fits better with those who view all who are less progressive than they are with contempt.
Equality is a basic human right.

Quote:
I think you're on a hypocritical path when you recognize gay rights while treating those indoctrinated in religion for millennium's views with wanton disregard.
If the gays were preventing the religionists from marrying, I'd be saying the same thing.

Quote:
I'm neither gay nor religious, but have no trouble empathizing with either.
Yes, you do.

Quote:
Quote:
Lash, this is idiotic and demonstrative of a total disrespect for religious tradition
It shows your error. If Civil Unions and marriage were the same,as you said, you should have no problem switching them. But, you know they aren't, and you knew it when you suggested they were equal. However, I am glad I've at least been able to communicate to you my total lack of respect for religious tradition.
Quote:
Back to your "this is sad"; BS. I don't have any problem with people who smoke pot, or drink alcohol nor consider them bad in any way shape or form but I can understand that religious folks think neither should be encouraged... and I respect their right to think this way.
I respect their right to think that way, too. But I draw the line and making laws to enforce it.

Quote:
I don't seek to reduce gay rights but neither do I feel it just to totally disregard millennium's of religious tradition... and moreover consider it foolhardy to ask a minority politician, with plenty of hurdles to negotiate as it is... to be bullyragged into championing a cause that contradicts his own religious beliefs. IMHO, there is room for disagreement here that doesn't require homophobia.
....bullyragged...?

Quote:
Last time I encountered genuine homophobia at a wedding; I slow danced with a gay man in solidarity... and thoroughly enjoyed the bewilderment on bigoted faces. Yours and Blatham's definition for homophobe needs some work.
I'm comfortable that denying someone equal rights due to their same sex orientation is homophobia, irrespective of who they dance with.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:44 pm
And, the back flipping begins.

nimh wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think it reasonable to respect gay rights while not encouraging homosexuality.

What in Jesus's name is "encouraging homosexuality"? What does that even mean?
It means exactly what it sounds like.

nimh wrote:
Is telling people growing up and fearful about admitting they're homosexual that it's OK to be gay - as OK as it is to be straight - "encouraging homosexuality"?
No. But to some; telling a straight kid that it's ok to be gay is. I've known religious folks (bigots in your book) that changed their tune when they learned their child was irrevocably gay... but they wouldn't have encouraged it otherwise.

nimh wrote:
Is wanting to give gays the same rights and opportunities as straight people "encouraging homosexuality"?
Nope.

nimh wrote:
Is saying that gay people should be able to get married just the same as straight people are "encouraging homosexuality"?
It is to the faithful of thousands of years old religion... because the term is irrevocably included in their holy books. What's wrong with letting the originators of the term own it. Again; make all legal Unions Civil Unions, give the term marriage back to the church where it belongs and the argument becomes mute.

nimh wrote:
Is including gay characters on the same footing in the same kind of roles in TV series or, say, cartoons, "encouraging homosexuality"?
Yep. Is including drinking or pot smoking characters in the same kind of roles in TV series or, say, cartoons, "encouraging drinking or pot smoking"? Studies say yes. Do you understand religious people's objections to these things? I do.

nimh wrote:
If it's not any of that, then what is it, and is it even halfway something that happens on a relevant scale? And if it is any of the above, how does treating being gay as just as OK and normal as being straight amount to "encouraging" it?
That's pretty simple Nimh. Beer commercials aren't allowed on during cartoons because they were found to encourage drinking. I don't see a damn thing wrong with drinking beer, but I understand that others do... and don't want their kids to be encouraged to do it.

nimh wrote:
How could one argue that treating gay people as equal to straight people - which is basically what saying that being gay is as OK as being straight comes down to - means "encouraging" it?
See the examples above.

nimh wrote:
And by far most importantly of all - doesnt the whole notion that homosexuality is something you shouldnt "encourage" imply or admit that being gay is in fact something less than OK, something less valuable or right than heterosexuality?
Yes... as written in the bible, the Koran and probably dozens of other religious books that have been studied and believed for thousands of years. Do parents not have a right to teach their own kids their own religion?

nimh wrote:
Isnt a rejection of the equal rights of gay people as equally worthy citizens implied in the very notion?
No. It is perfectly ok for you or I to go grab a beer and no one of consequence is saying otherwise. That doesn't mean it's ok to encourage their kids to do it.

nimh wrote:
How can one say that one is for equal rights for gays , but that they shouldnt be encouraged? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Not that tough if you give religious folks a fraction of the respect you demand for gays.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 05:46 pm
Bill,

You may want to re-read a couple of nimh's questions and your answers. I've only read a couple and you have blatantly contradicted yourself at least twice.
0 Replies