Diesels ---- the cars of the immediate future

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 04:31 pm
Yes to the above.

Since years, I'm driving Opel/Vauxhall (GM) diesels (mainly Astra).
This summer, I'll get the new Astra with a 150PS 1.9 CDTi 16V engine giving:
Quote:

Impressive acceleration and torque (0-60 8.8 secs, 134 MPH top speed, 315 Nm torque)
Uncompromised fuel economy (48.6 MPG combined)
Low CO2 emissions (157 g/km combined)
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:03 pm
Adrian wrote:
Direct injection diesels DO NOT use glow plugs. Only precombustion chamber type diesels need them. Some direct injection engines use some preheating of the fuel or air but not using glow plugs. They use wire grid heaters on the intake, or heating elements in the intake manifold, or heated fuel rails. There are other methods but they don't use glow plugs.

The 7.3 & 6.0 litre Ford/IH PowerStroke engines both use glow plugs with a DI system.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:05 pm
The TDI is sorta an IDI/DI hybrid--the pre-chamber is part of the PISTON, as a VW mechanic explained to me.

Too bad the new ones are quiet...not much can match the roar of a Cummins B at full-power. Smile
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:07 pm
The only way to get a Cat diesel in a Ford is with an F-650 or larger. Period. I am 100% certain of this. If you have a diesel F-450, you have an International engine, either a 7.3 or 6.0 litre turbo diesel.

The 5.9 Cummins uses a heater in the intake. 2-stroke Detroits have NO heater--the cold-start system is a can of ether.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 10:26 pm
Cat had a "Caterpillar Light Truck Clean diesel " program which used 2 body styles and 2 diff Cat diesels. Now, sit down you aint gonna believe, the first was a F-150 supercab witha cat small block CIDI

the other used the F-250 body (mines a 450 short bed crew cab with a slight bulge in the firewall ( its just a 250 with extra springs) with a marine cat (still uses the "power stroke" badge. It was a trial balloon, made for the horsey set and commercial fishermen whod grown accustomed to the caterpillar marines. I bought mine in 2000, and still have it. The 650 is the body style that is used as a super towing vehicle for fifth wheel RVs . Its high , but not much higher than the 450.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:24 am
Prove it. Unless and until you can, it's in the same category as the 150MPG carb & the engine that runs on water--BS.

IH's lawyers would go postal over Cat using the PSD name. The F-450 is ONLY available as a chassis-cab (no bed) dually. It emphatically is NOT an F-250 with "extra springs"--the chassis is completely different. The 450 has larger axles, 2WD models have a leaf-sprung beam axle in front (the 250 & 350 use the twin I-beam suspension iwth coils), & the brakes are larger.

You are a fraud.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 06:14 am
Jarlax- son of ex. read SAE 1999-01-2243. on the F150 Caterpilla diesel before you pronounce your wisdom to the world. Catrepillar/Ford had a whole product line and tech info out started in 1997 and , since, i guess 2001, had not been marketed. Im sorry no one called you .
originally you posted that the only engine I could get was the 6.0 , then you admitted they still had the 7.3, now heres a new one for you. Go to the RV enthusiasts.these were not "concepts" because they had, through the partnership had a limited market presence (and gtreat incentives)

. i agree, about the extras on the 450, I was being cute. It is basically the same body style, thats what I meant.
With the exception of the wheels, everything else looks like an f 250. The body is not pumped up .
Theres a lot we all dont know so before you pop a vessel, learn about fords various partnerships with Cat and some others like the standard (not after market) LNG conversions for the V8 and V10
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 07:15 pm
You are a complete lying fraud. The ONLY diesel available in the F-250/350/450/550/E-350/450 line is the 6.0 PSD. Period. I AM ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CERTAIN OF THIS. The 7.3 was dropped last year in vans (mid-2003 in pickups & Excursions), & I think International has totally dropped the T444E (their MDT version) in favor of the VT365.

I'm pretty well-familiar with the SD line, since my boss and I went through buying an F-550 about a year and a half ago.

www.thedieselstop.com for Ford truck info--and proof that Farmerman is a lying fraud.

PS--Ford has NEVER put a Cat diesel in anything short of an MDT.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
In Australia the base diesel engine in the F series is a 4.2L 6cyl which Ford sources from MAN. Have never heard of Ford using CAT engines in anything smaller than the LN series but, you never know. Companies do different things in different markets.

Oh, and about the glow plug issue. I'm waiting to get in touch with a few people but it seems that in cold weather markets they are still used. Will get back to you when I hear more.

Jarlaxle, theres no need to get angry. Farmerman MAY be wrong but that doesn't mean he's a liar or a fraud.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:21 pm
ok , j, you have some issue with dealing with facts , you are not 100% sure of anything sir. Im not a truck driver but i like my2 Ford diesel trucks , If im not driving a cat diesel in my one truck, then dont believe me , I gAF , if you dont have the interest to learn a new fact each day then youll stay a closed headed moron.
I bought the damn thing from a Fd dealer and they had the cat patch sales for the farmers and Rvers. Maybe j lax was asleep for couple of years.
Now back off before you stroke out.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 03:31 am
I'm calling your bluff: Post pictures showing this imaginary "Caterpillar" engine. Unless and until you do, it's in the same category as the 150MPG carb & the engine that runs on water--BS. You are a fraud. I am 100% sure of this.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:44 am
you are not as informed as you believe you are . Theres a whole world of farm vehicles and RV that you seem to just ignore.

I like to wager, Do you like to wager?
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 03:27 pm
Post a picture. Unless and until you do, this is in the realm of the 150MPG carbuerator & the engine that runs on water: BS.

You are a complete lying fraud.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:09 pm
yeh yeh yeh schmuck. If you arent bright enough to track this down yourself, i have no responsibility to train you, of course unless you maybe want to make it worth my while. ive only been driving the thing for over 3 years.
pS engines can run on water if you know the chemistry
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:39 pm
Post a picture. Unless and until you do, this is in the realm of the 150MPG carbuerator & the engine that runs on water: BS.

You are a complete lying fraud.

I HAVE done the research...which is why I am ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CERTAIN that you are a lying fraud. Ford has NEVER PUT A CATERPILLAR DIESEL IN ANYTING SMALLER THAN AN F-600, period. I am absolutely 100% certain of this.

I will bet you $1,000,000 per day for 1,000,000 days that I am right.

PS--The diesel planned (since cancelled) for the F-150 was a 4.5 litre V6 built by International-Navistar; essentially 3/4 of a 6.0 PSD. Ford is now considering a small Cummins for the 150. The HD's still use the Navistar 6.0 PowerStroke.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 06:23 pm
ooooh now youre backing up eh? By The way, The F 150 was a 3.5L CAt

The F4 , 5 and 6 were all prototypes and the final version was the ^%) which , you now agree IS in the Ford line. They made a few of the HD 450 and up in 1999. But you didnt know that so it didnt exist . I see. Ill just drive my nonexistent truck around AND feel like Im transcending this entire plane . doosh
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 08:25 pm
What are you SMOKING? I mentioned the F-650 (never heard of the ^%), I must say) six posts ago. I plainly said it was available with (among other choices) a Cat diesel.

Why would Ford pay 2 companies to develop light-duty diesels for the F-150? That fails the laugh test. It simply makes no sense, especially given Ford's 20+ year history with IH/Navistar.

Prove it. Post pictures, post a VIN. Unless and until you do, this is in the realm of the 150MPG carbuerator & the engine that runs on water: BS. You are still a fraud.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 05:23 am
shows that you have no clue. Im not a trucker , so this BS of yours is not makin a dent.
You obviously did not tread the
SAE-199-01-2243 on the little CAT used in the F150.

im done with you, you have one song and its getting kind of dull listening .

as Charlie Brown said, "If you cant be right, be wrong at the top of your lungs"
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
What does "being a trucker" (which, I must point out, I am not) have to do with anything? Ah, I see...just your latest diversion from the fact that YOU HAVE BEEN EXPOSED AS A COMPLETE LYING FRAUD.

Prove it. Post pictures, post a VIN. Unless and until you do, this is in the realm of the 150MPG carbuerator & the engine that runs on water: BS. You are still a fraud.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:37 am
I said see the above report , if you can read.its about the small cat they put in the 150 (which of course , you are 1005 certain never happened either)

http;//www.osti.gov/fcvt/1999-01-2243.pdf

open this , itll show that you have room to learn. When you say youre 100% certain, recognize that we always have room to learn. Since youre just a rude person who gets his jollies from standing on a street corner yelling at passersby, then I want to distance myself from you lest people think Im a little squirrely too. See ya
0 Replies