Diesels ---- the cars of the immediate future

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 02:27 pm
Walter-Do you know what the additive is that is used in Germany to formulate "winter Diesel"? Id like to know for information to provide my states DEP with the suggestions to consider reformulation to get away from MTBE.

weve had a VAuxhall engined loader that had glo plugs in each cylinder. they are not like spark plugs youd have to lift the entire injector assembly from the engine
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:03 pm
Having done a longer internet search, farmerman, I only can say that the put some kind of additive in the Diesel, which makes the parafine-particles smaller.
None of the companies gives any better explanation.

(However, I learned that there is a "interim Diesel" in early autumn and late spring as well, for temparatures up to -13°C.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
yep, thats the reason for the higher viscosity in diesel. Here (US) they use the MTBE I mentioned. Thats a poor choice for us , for envionmental reasons. things like ketones would work but they have a nasty habit of dissolving rubber
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 03:03 am
Hey Farmerman! look what I found! Mini In GB But since the Cooper name is reserved for the racier version, I'm not sure you'll get a Diesel Cooper. But remember, they use BMW motors, and the BMW 320d is a very fast car! My nephew had one, and he showed me how fast!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 05:49 am
bigdice

Mini IS a BMW company, they don't just use motors (which they actually don't!!!) by BMW.

The Diesel version is called MINI ONE D
MINI ONE D: D-Day Has Arrived

but I'm really not sure, if they export it to the USA.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:45 am
IM IN HEAVEN> I need one of those mini-Ds. Im trying to convince Mrs F that we need a new car to tow behind the RV and our present jeep is almost 250k of bad miles . i want a tow car that can fit inside a tow box trailer and the coop is just the vehicle. and diesel ohhh, be still my heart. Im going to call a colleague in Ireland and see what he can come up with in availability. It may not be available in US , but its easy to bring cars over (of course I havent done that for about 10 years and i dont know how heightened security affects the delay factor)
Thanks Bigdice and Walter, Im a big kid when it comes to these things
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
Something more to play with:

Mini D
0 Replies

owi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
btw. MINI D has a TOYOTA engine
0 Replies

Cheytdi

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
Banned TDI
My wife has an early 01 Jetta TDI .We get 45 MPG. This is the best car we ever bought. WHY HAVE THEY BEEN BANNED IN MA,ME,VT and 2 other states? WHY WHY WHY?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:41 pm
Re: Banned TDI
Cheytdi wrote:
My wife has an early 01 Jetta TDI .We get 45 MPG. This is the best car we ever bought. WHY HAVE THEY BEEN BANNED IN MA,ME,VT and 2 other states? WHY WHY WHY?

Say what? The Jetta GL and GLS with the 1.9L TDI engine is available in MA and I've never heard anything about it being banned in any other state either.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 12:31 am
This may be completely extranneous information, farmerman, but there is a chemical used in oil & gas well servicing that has the same effect on parafines which interfere with various servicing operations. It's put out by the Treadolite division of Petrolite and usually eliminates the need for hot oiling. Probably useless knowledge and anyway, we usually use hot oil. That's about all the company bookkeeper has to offer on dissolving parafines.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:14 am
thanks roger, ill look this up.
I just saw that jeep is gonna make a diesel Liberty. It will be available this spring. It uses a new block . Itll have a turbo and intercooler so it should be peppy enough.
Theyre projecting a 40+ mpg. Now the problem I see in the US. Usually the diesel pumps are really disgusting and lots of oil drippings . I see a new bay configuration with steel grates on which the vehicles stop.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:57 am
Quote:
I dont know where you guys get this NO GLOW PLUG, all diesels have to have ignition at starting. Even though diesel self ignites by the compression, I dont know of any engines that dont have glow plugs for assurance of fire, especially at cold starts.

MOST diesels have no glow plugs. Only smaller ones used them--they've been around since WW2 firing with no starting aids at all (like the Detroit 2-stroke bus engines that powered Sherman tanks). The 5.9 Cummins has NEVER had glow plugs, & it's been around for 20 years. No semi I've ever seen had glow plugs.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:00 am
Quote:
If you get a class C, you can get a diesel also. Ford has 2 diesels available, an IH 7.5 and the CAT 8.5.

Completely false. Ford offer ONE diesel in pickups & vans: the International 6.0 litre PowerStroke. You have to go to the F-650 or 750 to get the Cummins or Cat.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:05 am
farmerman wrote:
Walter-Do you know what the additive is that is used in Germany to formulate "winter Diesel"? Id like to know for information to provide my states DEP with the suggestions to consider reformulation to get away from MTBE.

My suggestion is simply to spike it with 10-15% K-1 kerosene or JP-4 jet fuel. A diesel will burn it happily, & it won't gel.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 06:48 am
Diesel reality check
Some interesting facts about diesel engines.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:34 am
FORD HAS ACTUALLY 3 ENGINES THAT CAN BE ORDERED, THE 7.3 , THE NEW6.0, AND THE SPECIAL ORDER CATERPILLAR, *(WHICH I HAVE ON MY 2000 450 RIG AS A TOW VEHICLE) THE CAT WAS A SHORT DURATION MEMEBR OF THE AFTER MARKET MOB. ALTHOUGH THEY DONT ADV IT , YOU CAN STILL GET IT, AS YOU CAN THE 7.5. WHEN WE STARTED THIS THREAD , THE 7.5 WAS STANDARD AND THE CAT WAS A SPECIALL LTD FOR RVS AND DUAL WHEEL FOR GOOSE NECK OR FIFTH WHEEL CAMPERS. THERES A LOT OF THINGS THAT THE CAR COS DONT PUT IN THEIR BOOKS (LIKE AVAILABLE COLORS AS WELL AS POWER )

FUNNY, WHEN THIS THREAD STARTED, I ASKED A DODGE MECHANIC ABOUT THE CUMMINGS AND HE SAID, YEH THEY HAVE GLOW PLUGS, HOW ELSE WOULD THEY START IN WINTER? IM AWARE OF OTHER ENGINES THAT USE OTHER DETONATION BUT IT ALL COMES BACK TO SOME FORM OF HOT WIRE AT START UP AND ECM CONTROLLED COMPRESSION EXPLOSIONS AFTER IT STARTS

MTBE IS THE WAY MOST STATES HAVE TAKEN TO FORMULATE WINTER DIESELS. NOW THEYRE TRYING TO HAVE IT REMOVED CAUSE IT MESSES UP GROUND WATER. WHAT MAY MAKE SENSE, ISNT ALWAYS THE WAY THAT INDUSTRY SOLVES A PROBLEM.fUNNY,
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:47 pm
farmerman,
I don't know how to convnce you that diesel engines do not have to have glowplugs.

"All functions in a modern engine are controlled by the ECM communicating with an elaborate set of sensors measuring everything from R.P.M. to engine coolant and oil temperatures and even engine position (i.e. T.D.C.).Glow plugs are rarely used today on larger engines. The ECM senses ambient air temperature and retards the timing of the engine in cold weather so the injector sprays the fuel at a later time. The air in the cylinder is compressed more, creating more heat, which aids in starting. Smaller engines and engines that do not have such advanced computer control use glow plugs to solve the cold-starting problem."

The mechanic you spoke with is sadly lacking in product information. "It all comes back to some form of hot wire at start up/" No, not a hot wire, but hot wires in a grid that instantly heat the incoming air enough for it to start with the methodology referred above.

We experienced an extremely cold winter. Our 1996 VW Passat with 240,000 miles, left out doors in -10 to -20, started without a jump. It has glow plugs and they needed about 20 seconds for the light to go out. And then it took no more than 2- 3 secs to start. When it starts, it doesn't exactly start. It goes from stopped to runninng. This is ten year old technology. Diesels have come a long way since then as the excerpt above indicates.

REPEAT AFTER ME '"DIESEL ENGINES DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE GLOW PLUGS FOR STARTING."
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:32 am
Direct injection diesels DO NOT use glow plugs. Only precombustion chamber type diesels need them. Some direct injection engines use some preheating of the fuel or air but not using glow plugs. They use wire grid heaters on the intake, or heating elements in the intake manifold, or heated fuel rails. There are other methods but they don't use glow plugs.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 03:56 pm
jarlaxle,

Great information about diesels, groups opposed,etc.

We had a VW 1978 Rabbit diesel. Sold it with about 90,000 miles. Then a 1986 Jetta diesel which we got on European delivery. 58 hp. The first one the dealer in Frankfort had ever sold with A/C. When the A/C engaged, the car almost stopped. Driving in the alps, my 14 year old son was put in charge of disengaging and engaging the A/C while I had two hands on the wheel and shifter.
After a roll over, a deer collision, and 180,000 miles, we sold it for $500.
Then we got a 1996 VW Passat with The TDI engine. TDI stands for Turbo Direct Injection. The "D" does not stand for "Diesel." The car has 240,000 miles on it. It stayed outdoors this winter and started without problems at well below zero temps. It burns about a pint of oil in 3,000 miles. I should point out that I use
5-30W fully synthetic oil year round. Even in 90 degree summer weather. I have it changed about every 10,000 miles.

Adrian, thanks for the backup about glow plugs. However, I have to disagree about direct injection diesels not having glow plugs. The TDI VW diesels do have glow plugs or, at least, used to have them. Like the TDI Passat I wrote about in this post.

The passing of the glow plugs is being eclipsed by the development of the Common Rail Fuel Injection system. Look it up in google. It has made diesels even more efficient, more environmently friendly, much, much quieter, and tougher.
0 Replies