NFL 2006-The Road To New Orleans

CowDoc

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:32 pm
Or J_B or anyone else who's interested, for that matter. Let me know and I can meet you downtown.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 07:05 am
CowDoc wrote:
As I understand it, Joseph Smith actually said "This is the pits!", but the guy next to him misunderstood and the quote stuck forever. By the way, sublime, I'll be in Chicago from the 3rd to the 9th. Want to meet for a libation?

I'll post this on the Chicago greet thread for you and we'll get the party started. Let's talk about it over here
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:01 am
My new job keeps me out of town a lot but I'll be home on weekends rjb...hope that's ok.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:36 pm
NFL Notes: #1:
The Pittsburgh Steelers won the Superbowl last year. But they lost a few players...and then they gained one. That could be trouble.
They drafted a receiver named Santonio Holmes. So far, since signing, he has been arrested twice. Once for disorderly conduct, once for domestic violence. So far, it seems, he feels no remorse for embarrassing himself or the team. Rather, he seems to feel he is above it all.
Ben Roethisberger, the QB and leader of the team, said he tried to call Holmes several times during the summer but never got a call back. Holmes, for his part, is dismissive, saying he never got any calls from Ben.
The Steelers are a classy team. They have accomplished a lot by building a sense of "family" (as much as can be done when many members of the family are making millions of dollars a year). Much of the credit goes to the coach, Bill Cowher.

So here comes this prima donna rookie, Santonio Holmes.

Could be trouble in Steeltown.

Do you see it like that, Pan?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 08:42 pm
The Steelers seem to lose and gain good players and yet somehow remain a contender. I don't predict a repeat, just hope they don't hit a slump.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:07 pm
Wait a second I thought football was canceled after January 26, 1986. Cool

I'll be here trashing the Packers and supporting Da Bears.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2006 07:27 pm
sublime1 wrote:

I'll be here trashing the Packers

Has anyone other than johnboy noticed the strange resemblance between gus and sublime? hmm. They "both" hate the Packers.. hmm.

Five more weeks until kick-off. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome. Just indicate an interest.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 02:03 pm
So the first pre-season NFL game is tonight. I am the moderator of this thread and I have no idea who the game is between!!!
That is the point here. If you know something about NFL or know nothing, you are more than welcome to play. It takes about 5 minutes a week to participate. If you get lucky, there is a glorious trophy awarded at the end of the season. The real games start Sept 9th. Please join in.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
Less than a month now until the start of the NFL season! Johnboy continues to troll for new players to join us. A2K is not the most sports oriented place so we do keep it very, very simple.
This is not fantasy football where knowledge of the game is important but time-consuming. Five minutes a week is all that I am asking and you don't need to know anything about the NFL! Please join us before Sept 9th.

(as a total aside to sublime and J_B, the band Bella Morte will be in Chicago next Sunday as part of their warm up for a nationwide tour in October. Andy, the singer, is one of my store managers, and three of his bandmates (Gopal, Micah and Tony) have worked for me in various capacities over the years. Andy puts on quite a show; worth the 10 bucks admission price. He knows about A2K and the Chicago contingent, and would get a kick out of meeting any of you. A warning, though: he is a huge Steelers fan and is probably the only Goth-Republican in the country).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
I don't put much stock in the preseason, but the Texans looked pretty good in their first game.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 11:54 am
sublime1 wrote:
Wait a second I thought football was canceled after January 26, 1986. Cool

I'll be here trashing the Packers and supporting Da Bears.

The Bears definitely suck!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
(as a total aside to sublime and J_B, the band Bella Morte will be in Chicago next Sunday as part of their warm up for a nationwide tour in October. Andy, the singer, is one of my store managers, and three of his bandmates (Gopal, Micah and Tony) have worked for me in various capacities over the years. Andy puts on quite a show; worth the 10 bucks admission price. He knows about A2K and the Chicago contingent, and would get a kick out of meeting any of you. A warning, though: he is a huge Steelers fan and is probably the only Goth-Republican in the country).

sent you a pm...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:08 am
Unless I manage to buy a lap top soon I won't be on this thread much...we're doing 60 hour weeks, plus I'm playing in the band every weekend...so it goes.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 11:11 am
panzade wrote:
Unless I manage to buy a lap top soon I won't be on this thread much...we're doing 60 hour weeks, plus I'm playing in the band every weekend...so it goes.

Panzade is sandbagging.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:26 pm
A mere 13 days until the start of the NFL season! September 7th is the day. Johnboy is so excited. This Sunday I will post the schedule for the first weekend's games.

You don't need to register as a player (unlike a fantasy league) and the time commitment can be be as little as 5 minutes a week. It would be helpful to me, though, if you can express your interest in participating so I can buy enough snacks for everyone.

The procedure for participating follows in a reposting. I hope we can bump up the cast of characters from 17.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:28 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

So here is how this has worked in the past. Perhaps Pan and I will make some modifications as we go along this year.
In the early few weeks of the season, NFL games are scheduled for Thursday night, Sunday, and Monday night. Later on, Thursday night is turned over to college football.
On Tuesday afternoon/evening I would write about how we all did the previous week and would post the schedule for the next week. I am thinking we may want to move the schedule posting from Tuesday to Sunday or Monday.

The format of the schedule posting will look like this (at least this is how it might look if I do it; pan may have a different format if he does it):

Week #1:
9/7 (8:30 pm): Miami @ Pittsburgh
9/10 (early games): Seattle @ Detroit
Philadelphia @ Houston
and so on through
9/11 (10:00 pm): San Diego @ Oakland

I am hoping that Pan will throw in some pertinent commentary on the matchups to help folks make their selections. The maximum number of games to pick is 16; later on that drops to 14 or so as teams take turns getting a bye week.

So this is what the players here are expected to do. Publically post your selections of the winners of each game. I would prefer that that bedone succiinctly (makes recording picks a hell of lot easier):

"I am going with Pitt, Seattle, Houston etc"

When you get to the last game you must do one more thing. You need to predict the total number of points that the two teams will score in the game. We use that as the tiebreaker in the scoring (more about that in the next post). So you might say:

"and San Diego (27)." Again, the 27 is the total number of points scored by the two teams.

A couple of warnings: Please check your picks before hitting submit to be sure you selected in all of the games and have indicated the total number of points in the final game of the week.
And please remember that the deadline is one minute before the kickoff of the first game of the weekend. We have made a few exceptions in the past if someone was a bit tardy, but they will be very, very rare in the future as we get more players. All times listed are ET.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Popcorn, please...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:43 pm
I have some time, late on a Saturday night. So I am going to post the schedule for the first week, which starts on Sep 7th. No action is required at this point by yall. This just gets it up there and out of my way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 07:49 pm
Bring it on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2006 08:14 pm
As one of the know-nothings, I could use the extra time to consider matters.
0 Replies