NFL 2006-The Road To New Orleans

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:11 pm
Eagles will be terrible. When they were winning Da Boys, Gmen, and Skins were in sorry shape-which is not the current case. Niners will improve because they drafted a freakishly(I hate to use that adjective) athletic TE that will account for double digit touchdowns. Da Boys success depends, believe it or not, on someone other than T.O.-Julius Jones and Bledsoe. I bet most of you are unaware that Larry Allen left Dallas? That's very important. Let's see what else, Cardinals! Look out for the Cardinals and keep an eye on their D.

Top 5 teams:
Colts
Gmen
Seahawks
Skins
Chiefs/Pats

Bottom 5 teams:
Titans
Bills
Raiders
Niners
Lions

Two of the biggest games of the year will be Gmen vs. Skins and whomever comes out on top of those will be in good position for a 1st Rnd Bye.

Also keep an eye on the same faces in new places:

1. McNair with Ravens
2. Edge with Cards
3. Lavar Arrington with Gmen
4. John Abraham in Atlanta(With him and Kerney rushing off the edges together Shocked )
5. TO in Dallas
6. Culpepper in Miami

Then we will have impact rookies:

1. R Bush in NO
2. Brian Calhoun in Detroit
3. Vernon Davis in SF
4. Phillip Rivers in San Diego
5. Sinorice Moss with the Gmen

It should be a good season with all that, and more, to look forward to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:31 pm
You are taking the Texans out of the bottom five?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:34 pm
Hi, Child of Light. I gather from that last posting that you are in. As is Pantolones from Mexico. He claims to be naive about this. Be wary of him; he knows his sports. Welcome to both of you. 15 players.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:53 pm
I'd like to point out that you don't have to commit to the whole season as this is not a fantasy league doohicky. You can play whenever you want. Strictly low key fun and a little trash talk.
We welcome any opinions on team rankings as COTL just posted
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:34 pm
i'll see what i can do about getting jes on board... Mr. Green
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:40 pm
Er, could Panz and RJB explain what we do here, on this thread?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:44 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
i'll see what i can do about getting jes on board... Mr. Green

She will be gone by the time football season rolls around, Region. About the time of the first kick off, jes will be marching somewhere in the Middle East, toting her shoulder-held anti tank gun.

Have you forgotten already?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:52 pm
i hear there's an internet cafe next to the barracks...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 02:47 pm
Now up to 17 folks signed up. Sublime from his 35th floor condo in Chicago (he was one of our hosts for the A2K thing in that city) said he would play but perhaps not every week as he tends to be a slacker.
I note that this thread is now "Featured." I don't know what that means but it is kind of cool.

So here is how this has worked in the past. Perhaps Pan and I will make some modifications as we go along this year.
In the early few weeks of the season, NFL games are scheduled for Thursday night, Sunday, and Monday night. Later on, Thursday night is turned over to college football.
On Tuesday afternoon/evening I would write about how we all did the previous week and would post the schedule for the next week. I am thinking we may want to move the schedule posting from Tuesday to Sunday or Monday.

The format of the schedule posting will look like this (at least this is how it might look if I do it; pan may have a different format if he does it):

Week #1:
9/7 (8:30 pm): Miami @ Pittsburgh
9/10 (early games): Seattle @ Detroit
Philadelphia @ Houston
and so on through
9/11 (10:00 pm): San Diego @ Oakland

I am hoping that Pan will throw in some pertinent commentary on the matchups to help folks make their selections. The maximum number of games to pick is 16; later on that drops to 14 or so as teams take turns getting a bye week.

So this is what the players here are expected to do. Publically post your selections of the winners of each game. I would prefer that that bedone succiinctly (makes recording picks a hell of lot easier):

"I am going with Pitt, Seattle, Houston etc"

When you get to the last game you must do one more thing. You need to predict the total number of points that the two teams will score in the game. We use that as the tiebreaker in the scoring (more about that in the next post). So you might say:

"and San Diego (27)." Again, the 27 is the total number of points scored by the two teams.

A couple of warnings: Please check your picks before hitting submit to be sure you selected in all of the games and have indicated the total number of points in the final game of the week.
And please remember that the deadline is one minute before the kickoff of the first game of the weekend. We have made a few exceptions in the past if someone was a bit tardy, but they will be very, very rare in the future as we get more players. All times listed are ET.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:00 pm
Thanks, RJB..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:34 pm
So here is what happens here in the decidedly low-tech A2K NFL Command Center. I have a spreadsheet for each week with rows showing the games and columns for each of the players. I record the picks and then, after the games are over, every correct pick is awarded a green highlighting and every wrong pick gets a red highlighting. The player with the most greens wins the week. If there is a tie there, the player who is closest to the total number of points scored in the final game wins the week.
In the past I had rankings based on weeks won and on total greens vs reds. This year I think we should do something akin to a batting average in baseball as a measure to accomodate slackers; I mean folks who miss a week for some reason: wins vs games picked
Does that make sense, panzade?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:38 pm
Are you gonna make a different topic for the game, or use this one? It doesn't matter to me, but we'll feature whichever one has the game.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 03:43 pm
As Joseph Smith said: This is the place.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 05:44 pm
Count me in.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:10 pm
welcome, tico. Did anyone get the Joseph Smith reference, by the way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 06:48 pm
Something about Salt Lake City? I thought it was a good line...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:33 pm
rjb,

thanx for dusting off my "27" Smile
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 08:56 pm
I am a bit amazed that I remembered 27, Region. I am not as senile as I thought I was.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:05 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You are taking the Texans out of the bottom five?

Yeah, two years ago they were 7-9 with basically the same team. This year they will have Eric Moulds, Andre Johnson, Dominick Davis, and David Carr. So the offense shouldn't be too bad, especially when you consider they got a new offensive minded coach who teams have been chasing after since Elway retired. But don't get me wrong, i don't expect anything better than 9-7.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:29 pm
As I understand it, Joseph Smith actually said "This is the pits!", but the guy next to him misunderstood and the quote stuck forever. By the way, sublime, I'll be in Chicago from the 3rd to the 9th. Want to meet for a libation?
0 Replies