NFL 2006-The Road To New Orleans

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:24 pm
Okay. I think I got this straight. But I would appreciate it if someone could confirm this:

The 1st game of this weekend pits two of the Division Winners from the AFC against each other: Indy vs Baltimore
The 4th game of the weenend has the other two AFC Division Winners playing: New England vs San Diego.

Meanwhile, the 2nd game this weekend has two of the NFC Division Winners meeting: Philly vs New Orleans.
The 3rd game features the other two NFC Division Winners: Seattle vs Chicago.

On Jan 21, the winner of Game 2 plays the winner of Game 3 for the NFC title and the winner Game 1 goes against the winner of Game 4 for the AFC title.

And that leads to the Super Bowl on Feb 4th.

Does that look right? Thank you.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 08:13 pm
I think you're dead on, johnboy. Because the home teams won all four games last weekend, all remaining teams are division winners. I don't know for a fact that the order you give is correct without checking the schedule, but your matchups are definitely correct. Chicago and San Diego have home field advantage as long as they continue to win. Should they lose, Baltimore and New Orleans are the second seeds. Indy and Philly are third seeds, and New England and Seattle fourth. The higher seed will be home team in all games until the Super Bowl. Does that make things a bit more clear?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 09:33 pm
Thank you Cowdoc. I have posted the games on the other thread, The Idiot's Guide to the Super Bowl Game Game.
I have tried to explain what players need to do to pick through to the end.

As I mentioned, there don't seem to be a lot of folks on A2K interested in the NFL other than those of us already involved. But I do keep trolling.

I will be retiring as the host of this A2K NFL thing after this season. I will be nagging to the very end. Please get your selections in. Or else you will hear from me.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:13 pm
I think I sent nagging pm's to everyone. If I missed anyone, please let me know.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:26 am
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:32 am
<waves>
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:38 am
Sweet, Osso is starting a wave.

Football must be right around the corner
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 10:52 am
... back at ya, johnboy.

You still planning on not being the coordinator this year?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 12:14 pm
Jo...I would prefer not to run this. But I would caution anyone interested that it is a bit time-consuming. Perhaps 5 hours a week when we had about 18 players. Admittedly, I am a computer idiot, so perhaps some of my pencil and paper and highlighter stuff could be made more efficient.
But still, a pretty big investment of time.
Here are the component parts and perhaps if someone doesn't want to do the whole thing there could be some sharing of chores:
1) Posting the schedule for the next week's games (no later than Monday particularly if there is a Thursday game) along with pertinent or impertinent info: "1 pm St Louis (4-5) @ Carolina (5-4)."
2) Nagging slackers publically or via pm on Fri-Sat-Sun.
3) Recording the picks that participants make.
4) Chasing the participants to get the games they forgot to pick in.
5) Tabulating who wins each week on Tuesday.
6) Updating the standings on Tuesday.
and, and this is the biggie
7) Keeping the chatter going. I noticed a similar game on Yahoo Fantasy Sports. But it requires registration there. I don't think a lot of us take this thing that seriously to do that. And the scoring penalizes people who don't play every week. The success of this is the easy accessibility from A2K and the fact that in the recap on Tuesdays of how we all did, everyone gets his/her name mentioned at least once. That has always been my objective in my writing.
8) Adding asides (such as Deviant of the Week, which proved to be popular) requires time.

Jo: I would be delighted to step aside totally if someone else offers to do it. But whoever undertakes this should understand the commitment required. -john-
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:02 pm
How about splitting up the tasks? Surely one person could do the nagging while another did the calculating, etc.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:30 pm
Exactly what I was suggesting, Jespah. I would caution against one person agreeing to take on the whole thing all at once.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:24 pm
I'm no good with data and spread sheets, sheet!

Facile enough at chatter, but that isn't the hard part.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:37 pm
Osso: How about the position of Chief Nagger? You will be informed of who is missing on Saturday. You will learn that some of them always come in by Sunday, but others have to be chased down and dragged in. Can you say Sublime?
0 Replies