George

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:23 am
Beverly Hills 90210
Detroit Lions 0
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:51 am
ossobuco wrote:
Ok, question, who are the new Dave Meggetts, the Walter Paytons, the Bo Jacksons, the Marcus Allens, the Joe Montanas, the Jerry Rices?

There are plenty of Dave Meggetts out there, he wasn't anything spectacular, and I' ve always considered Joe Montana to be vastly overrated considering the team he had around him, so you could plug in a half dozen quarterbacks with equal skills to replace him, but the rest of the group are true superstars of the game and as of now I see no one playing of the same caliber.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:11 pm
I only saw Meggetts a few times, thought he was a small tank. Montana, swoon...

Well, I've been looking up some stats. Thinking about following the Seahawks.

My participation in this thread is likely to be as a bundle of uninformedness, unless I finally buy a small tv.. still, it'll be fun to get interested in football again.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:56 pm
Oh my. Pan just started this thread a few days ago. I sent out a slew of pms Sunday. I got home this afternoon and note that we seem to have 11 players signed up already:
rjb, pan, osso, LionTamerX, Region Philbus, edgarblythe, cowdoc, george, jpinmilw, J_B. and, I think, Sozobe.
cjhsa stopped by but didn't indicate whether or not he was in. And then there is Gusenigma. I think I have 5 or 6 pms sent to others but not yet opened. I would be disappointed if we didn't get 3 from that group. Still have 5 pm's to send. So we are on target to get to the high teens.
The old thread is still there, but Pan seemed to indicate that the A2K Mods prefer that a thread on something like this start over periodically. Makes sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 01:41 pm
I just wanted to see it so I can start to know what this is all about... as in, in the teens for what, exactly.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 02:36 pm
teens, as in the # of players indicating a willingness to play. I troll for new players, but never for teens.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 03:28 pm
Play what, though, exactly?

Predicting who will win the Super Bowl?

I'm fairly useless there, as I will predict the Packers whether they have a chance or not (this year, maybe, just maybe...)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 04:08 pm
Here is how this works:
Once a week, probably on Tuesday, panzade or I will post the schedule of games through the following Monday night. The format will look like this:
9/7 ... Miami @ Pittsburgh
9/10 . Seattle @ Detroit
All you have to do is post your predictions of who will win. It can be as minimal as "Pitt, Det" etc through the 16 games.
Pan will be helping you out with some stats to guide you through the process.

A knowledge of football is NOT required. I won the first year despite never having my TV turned on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 07:58 pm
Oh, I know plenty about football, it's just that my loyalty to the Packers overwhelms everything else. :-)

As in, if the Packers are playing, I'm probably always gonna say they're going to win... but I might be more rational with everyone else.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:23 pm
sozobe wrote:
Oh, I know plenty about football

Ha. Sozobe sure does seem confident, doesn't she?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
Er um let me backtrack -- I know plenty about the game, and have had seasons where I'm absolutely on top of every little thing going on in at least the NFC if not the whole NFL. I haven't been a serious fan in that mold for a few years now though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:33 pm
OK, so I guessed there was a game here, having just gotten exhilarated via FBaezer's soccer thread, but haven't known anything about what you're doing.

I'll go look at the old threads, soon. Well, sometime soon.

Sozobe and I have a bond as I was involved in unrequited love for Paul Hornung in the late fifties at the same time I was about to enter a convent, so I prayed for him.

Can you beat that?

Of course, circumstances didn't work out.

Part of my growing up to become sardonic.

I guess I need to pick the PACKERS second.

Sigh, I think it's useless to go for the 49'ers.

Sure as I give up on them, they will miraculously reconvene and just win.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 08:56 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I was involved in unrequited love for Paul Hornung in the late fifties at the same time I was about to enter a convent, so I prayed for him.

Can you beat that?.

No, I can't think that anyone can top that story.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:28 pm
As it happened, I got over all that. (smiles)

Just sayin', I was once very intense about football.
Now looking around bemusedly

As in,

who are all these coaches?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jul, 2006 11:30 pm
I remember Holmgren as an early guy. Don't know later opinions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:11 am
Holmgren is coaching the Seahawks now, who I think you mentioned as a possible Osso-love-receiver.

By the way, one fairly good way to follow football w/o a TV is via Yahoo (I did this last year when the Packers were playing but it wasn't showing on network/ basic cable). They do this live update thing, you open a certain page and it stays current ("Field goal, Longwell, 43 yards" et al).

Packers have a brand-new coach which is good news/ bad news -- the old one was NOT working so I'm glad to see him gone, but there's nearly always a transition period for a new coach, even if he's good. And Brett doesn't have the luxury of time.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:29 am
Not to mention... you still have to actually sign AJ...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 02:07 pm
I think I reeled in 3 additional players, but I am not sure. Jespah, like Sozobe, didn't really commit. But I am hoping we can reel them in. Dragon19 expressessd a willingness to play again but said the demands of a new job may be distracting. Fbeaser from Mexico is a definite. I am hoping to get his brother. I have a few unanswererd pm's floating around. So we seem to be up to 14 players. A fine start.

I was talking to Andy, one of my employees, about the NFL and this thread. He follows the sport pretty closely and is a long-time Steelers fan. He won't be able to play because he will be on tour with his band for a month or two in the fall. I mentioned that last season for the first few weeks when I posted the game schedule I would list the teams' last season records.

Well intended, he suggested, but perhaps meaningless. Due largely to free agency (where players whose contracts expire jump to another team for more bucks) a team's composition can change dramatically from one year to the next.

I am hopeful that Panzade will be able, over the next few weeks, to give a little sketch of each team's prospects for the upcoming season.

Pan and I realize that this thread is pretty low-key and we intend to keep that flavor. It will be nice, though, to have some insight in running this from someone with more than half a brain.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:19 pm
My problem with football is that I don't care anymore. I used to be an avid Giants fan, grew up in a Giants household, and was a true diehard until I moved to Chicago and married a Bears fan. I grew up hating the Bears and they're the only game in town, so I stopped watching.

One of the earliest arguments in my marriage was cheering when the Bears blew a 12-yard field goad in the final seconds of the game, grabbing defeat out of what should have been a sure win. Well, not argument really, but I've never seen anyone go after a yard full of leaves the way Mr B did that day :wink:
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:48 pm
Ok, so I got a PM.

And I'm no NFL fan, I know less than your average american about the game, but safe, sound competition is fun so I'll sign up if you don't mind a little bit of slacking from my part (I still don't know how this nfl fantasy thing works).
0 Replies