Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:08 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Until you conquer your fear of the barbaric monster you think is god...the truths will remain veiled and obscure to you.

Frank, why do you think Rex is motivated primarily by fear?

For the same reasons that cause me to guess that an animal floating on a pond saying quack, quack, quack...is a duck.

I'm listening to his music...you are listening to his lyrics.

They don't match.

Ok Frank, if you say so. But I'm pretty good at hearing the music amidst the lyrics, and I think some of that music you're hearing is coming from you, not Rex.

Quack quack Wink

Keep listening. I been listening to Rex for almost a decade now...and I am almost certain about where the music originates...and the tune that is being played.

But I understand that you disagree...and so be it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:09 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Until you conquer your fear of the barbaric monster you think is god...the truths will remain veiled and obscure to you.

Frank, why do you think Rex is motivated primarily by fear?

For the same reasons that cause me to guess that an animal floating on a pond saying quack, quack, quack...is a duck.

I'm listening to his music...you are listening to his lyrics.

They don't match.

Ok Frank, if you say so. But I'm pretty good at hearing the music amidst the lyrics, and I think some of that music you're hearing is coming from you, not Rex.

Quack quack Wink

Keep listening. I been listening to Rex for almost a decade now...and I am almost certain about where the music originates...and the tune that is being played.

But I understand that you disagree...and so be it.

Fair enough. I'll keep listening. I've been wrong before.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:31 am
After reading the religious threads for a few years, while also being privy to a few revealing views into the personalities of many of the members, who seem unusually rigid and evangelical-- I think self-loathing has a dramatic role in how many people "use" religion.

Not directing that at anyone in particular. It just sort of struck me reading a mix of a few religious threads in the past day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:45 am
Yes I've spend days wondering why I shouldn't start a thead about myself titled Dys and expain to everyone how misuderstood and self-flagellated I am (as well as handsome). Give the glory to god.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 09:49 am
Thank you, God, that he didn't start that thread.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:02 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:

Yes, they have made themselves into a god. Right and wrong are determined only by what they want to have or to do at any given moment.

Are you suggesting you do not do this?

I don't need to suggest it.

Right and wrong are not subjective concepts, determined by your whim or mine.

Of course they are.

If not, then who or what do you think determines right and wrong?

I doubt that you believe this in practice.

Do you consider rape to be wrong?

Should society punish rape, or is this just your subjective opinion?

If you hold that this should be a universally upheld moral position, then your argument for subjective morality rings rather hollow.

Your examples are limited to the world of people. This is not a universal quality, it's a quality of humanity, one which varies from culture to culture. Do you think there were never any cultures in which certain forms of rape were never accepted?

You cannot make a blanket statement about the universality of right and wrong, and then defend your case by asking me specifically how I feel about something. That's dumb.

Right and wrong are judgements that people make about things. The concepts of Right and Wrong simply do not exist without people to create them.

For millions of years animals on this planet stalked each other, killed each other and ate each other, all before humans had evolved. But never once during all that natural carnage did anything occur which was morally Right or Wrong. Right and Wrong, as we use the concepts did not exist.

No, Ros, what 'other cultures' believe is not the point.

What YOU think about it is exactly the point.

YOU stated that YOU think all morality is subjective.

My point is that YOU do not really believe that in practice. YOU hold some moral positions that YOU think should be universally held.

YOU think some things always ought to be considered right and YOU think some things always ought to be considered wrong.

Therefore YOU do not believe all morality is subjective.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:15 am
real life wrote:

My point is that YOU do not really believe that in practice.

Gosh, Ros...don't you realize that Life knows what you believe and do not believe better than you do.

Quote:
YOU hold some moral positions that YOU think should be universally held.

Geezus Kerist...now Life is saying that because you might "think" some positions ought to be "universally held"...

...that means those positions are objective rather than subjective.

Wow.

And to think that people waste their money taking courses in logic!

Quote:
YOU think some things always ought to be considered right and YOU think some things always ought to be considered wrong.

Egad...how pitiful a distortion of the reasoning process!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:17 am
Life's reasoning:

A equals B...

...and J equals M...

...therefore oranges are square!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:59 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

My point is that YOU do not really believe that in practice.

Gosh, Ros...don't you realize that Life knows what you believe and do not believe better than you do.

I know. I get a kick out of watching RL totally botch the argument and then try to lecture me with his own error.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
real life wrote:

Sure, it would be nice if everyone did things my way. But that doesn't mean that I think my judgements are inherently part of nature, or even of the culture.

When I say "universal", I'm talking about raw nature, not involving humanity and our cultures.

I get the sense that when you say "universal", you are using it as "universal humanity".

real life wrote:

No I don't. Not in a universal (raw nature) sense.

The concepts of Right and Wrong are purely subjective constructs related to a human ability to make judgements of things. That's all I'm saying. Just because I happen to have things that I personally consider Right and Wrong doesn't change that.

real life wrote:

Not only is morality subjective, it doesn't even exist outside of our (human) thought.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:14 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Sure, it would be nice if everyone did things my way. But that doesn't mean that I think my judgements are inherently part of nature, or even of the culture.

When I say "universal", I'm talking about raw nature, not involving humanity and our cultures.

I get the sense that when you say "universal", you are using it as "universal humanity".

real life wrote:

No I don't. Not in a universal (raw nature) sense.

The concepts of Right and Wrong are purely subjective constructs related to a human ability to make judgements of things. That's all I'm saying. Just because I happen to have things that I personally consider Right and Wrong doesn't change that.

real life wrote:

Not only is morality subjective, it doesn't even exist outside of our (human) thought.

Fact is...almost the only way (perhaps THE only way) for them to be objective rather than subjective...is if they were mandated by some higher authority. (Dys, read that as DOG!)

But of course, the existence of a higher authority is about as subjective a guess as is possible.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:41 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
[
"The Bible tells me so".

I did not write the book but it's message stands often in contradiction to your farsighted views Frank.

You quote the perplexity and miss the value of the book.

You magnify the literality and miss the spirituality.

You have sought the evil instead of the holy when it is the holy that puts the evil into perspective.

You use literal interpretations when literal interpretations mean nothing if they rest on a weak foundation of error.

You use a western mind to try to understand eastern thought.

Until you address these matters, the truths will be veiled and obscured from you.

You wouldn't recognize "truth", Rex, if it fell on you.

Yada yada yada
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:54 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
[
"The Bible tells me so".

I did not write the book but it's message stands often in contradiction to your farsighted views Frank.

You have sought the evil instead of the holy when it is the holy that puts the evil into perspective.

You use literal interpretations when literal interpretations mean nothing if they rest on a weak foundation of error.

Until you address these matters, the truths will be veiled and obscured from you.

Yada yada yada

Work on your fear of this boogeyman. You will be whole again.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:55 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
[
"The Bible tells me so".

Yada yada yada

Frank the only emotion I feel from God is love...

So keep putting up your strawman And I will keep knocking it down.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:11 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
[
"The Bible tells me so".

Yada yada yada

If you think Zeus is your buddy...go for it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:28 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
[
"The Bible tells me so".

Yada yada yada

If you think Zeus is your buddy...go for it.

Zeus was styled after a man (human) YET, "biblically" God is not flesh and blood but Spirit. There is profit in the Bible. God formed, made and created humans, the earth and all living things.

This just shows that by leaving religion unchecked it can easily turn into "self worship". Self worship is a danger to society. Frank you are a danger to society by your rejection of God for you own inordinate deification.

Do you cut out God so you can sin without impunity Frank?

You claim to not know but then you KNOW that the Bible is wrong?

You selectively read the Bible so you only know what you want to know not what is actually meant. This is not Biblical research, it is Biblical perversion and subversion of the text.

You need to look at the SCOPE of the Bible and not just extract what fits your warped view of God.

It is like reading history and saying that the Americans did not participate in WW2 because at one time we were against joining in.

You forget about what came AFTER that but just keep quoting this and someday you may actually believe your own self delusion Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:55 pm
RexRed wrote:

Zeus was styled after a man (human) YET, "biblically" God is not flesh and blood but Spirit. There is profit in the Bible. God formed, made and created humans, the earth and all living things.

This just shows that by leaving religion unchecked it can easily turn into "self worship". Self worship is a danger to society. Frank you are a danger to society by your rejection of God for you own inordinate deification.

You selectively read the Bible so you only know what you want to know not what is actually meant. This is not Biblical research, it is Biblical perversion and subversion of the text.

You need to look at the SCOPE of the Bible and not just extract what fits your warped view of God.

It is like reading history and saying that the Americans did not participate in WW2 because at one time we were against joining in.

You forget about what came AFTER that but just keep quoting this and someday you may actually believe your own self delusion Frank.

You are a certifiable nut case, Rex...but I love ya just the same.

Peace to you. Enjoy the rest of America's birthday party.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:

You are a certifiable nut case, Rex...but I love ya just the same.

Peace to you. Enjoy the rest of America's birthday party.

Ditto, the people at the funny farm have your number Frank. Smile

Time for this sheep dog to clock out...

Happy 4th!

Happy birthday USA!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 11:00 pm
Ros,

There are some things that you consider to be wrong.

And I've little doubt that concerning at least these some of these things, it would not matter if the rest of the world considered them right, you would say 'I don't care, the rest of the world is wrong for considering them right. These things are wrong.'
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 02:22 am
real life wrote:
Ros,

There are some things that you consider to be wrong.

And I've little doubt that concerning at least these some of these things, it would not matter if the rest of the world considered them right, you would say 'I don't care, the rest of the world is wrong for considering them right. These things are wrong.'

Try to explain to him, Ros...that even if everything he is saying is so...

...that would not make those "wrongs" any less subjective.
0 Replies