Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:37 am
So, Frank, your superiority of understanding compells you to resort to playground taunts? Can't be of much value if that is what it leads you to.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
A life without spirituality is my idea of a good life, partially because spiritual phrases irk me. The worst has got to be ancient wisdom.

I've nothing against ancient wisdom per se, it's just that somehow after some conversation with someone, my mind has permanently associated it with pseudoscientific, spiritual gobbledy-gook.

Because let's face it, spirituality is just as prone to dogma and being contrived as religion is.

Come to think of it, pretty much everything is.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:20 pm
fresco wrote:
For example, to be conscious of "ourselves" at all is to some extent a "spiritual position" because it assumes a transcendent position of "self observation".

Fresco, what do you consider this transcendent position of "self observation" to be? Illusory in some way? A meaningless set of words to describe...?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:36 pm
Doktor S wrote:
The distinction between the 'material' and the 'non material' is disengenuous to begin with, as nothing has been demonstrated to be non-material.
Do you mean in action or in thought? This goes to Fresco's position too. By Dok's definition that would suggest the mental states (such as pleasure, pain, love, hate, belief) are only personified by their demonstrable physicality.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:43 pm
Chumly wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
The distinction between the 'material' and the 'non material' is disengenuous to begin with, as nothing has been demonstrated to be non-material.
Do you mean in action or in thought? This goes to Fresco's position too.

Well, both.
The 'non-corporeal, non-material' reality is by all rational means of explanation, an invention. There is no rational grounds for assuming an extra-natural reality. Thus, the dichotomy between the two is disingenuous at it's very root.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:55 pm
I edited my post prolly before just as you responded, could you give your view on this?
Quote:
By Dok's definition that would suggest the mental states (such as pleasure, pain, love, hate, belief) are only personified by their demonstrable physicality.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 03:58 pm
Chumly wrote:
I edited my post prolly before just as you responded, could you give your view on this?
Quote:
By Dok's definition that would suggest the mental states (such as pleasure, pain, love, hate, belief) are only personified by their demonstrable physicality.

Well, I suppose I would agree. Love, hate, belief, pleasure, etc are only labels we give to physical manifestations. If these things did not manifest in the physical, there would be no reason for the labels.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:12 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:38 pm
Hello Chumly?

So how was the vacation? I'm curious to see what you've come up with...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:40 pm
Ashers wrote:
fresco wrote:
For example, to be conscious of "ourselves" at all is to some extent a "spiritual position" because it assumes a transcendent position of "self observation".

Fresco, what do you consider this transcendent position of "self observation" to be? Illusory in some way? A meaningless set of words to describe...?

No....I am simply pointing out that the very act of "self-assessment" is in a sense a "spiritual evaluation". Ironically this is where "the path to spirituality" would seem to start, but progress may involve a move away from such evaluation. (e.g. "observe the self without judgement" Krishnamurti) .....it is a move from "I believe/don't believe" to "IT believes/doesn't believe".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Hello Chumly?

So how was the vacation? I'm curious to see what you've come up with...
I'm on it as we speak! I have not forgotten my friend, it's just that this thread was so interesting. I hope you'll forgive me for indulging here and there, so much to learn so little time.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:23 pm
OK I get you, thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:47 pm
Synonymph wrote:
Let's not get this thread locked.

Openmindedness is key. If something is beyond the realm of your own personal comprehension, no need to ridicule it. The unexplainable is not all that threatening, is it?

The actions of some do give one thoughts about that "threatening", thing.

These discussions are simply more fun to me if openmindedness is at least attempted. When people come around suggesting how ridiculous another's thoughts or ideas or beliefs are, everything goes to hell (no pun intended).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:56 pm
My dog blinked the universe into existence in its entirely 10 minutes ago. How much weight are you willing to give this theology? How about a religion that demands the extermination of all lesser peoples? Are you willing to dialogue with open-mindedness as per these two?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:15 pm
Re: A life without spirituality.
snood wrote:
Anyway - to my question. How many people here live life without spirituality?

First, thanks for starting this thread Snood. I think this question is far more engaging than one on religion if only because the lines are less clearly drawn.

My short answer to the question, "do I live life without spirituality?" would have to be no. I am always aware, in every day life of an essence to the world around me which hints of a somehow meaningful "unknown" within the naked elegance of nature itself.

It is this unknown which is spirituality for me.

I've always loved the works of Loren Eiseley. I don't see things exactly as he did, but very very close. Here's a little sample...

Loren Eiseley wrote:
"I would say that if `dead' matter has reared up this curious landscape of fiddling crickets, song sparrows, and wondering men, it must be plain to even the most devoted materialist that the matter of which he speaks contains amazing, if not dreadful powers, and may not impossibly be, as Hardy has suggested, `but one masks of many worn by the Great Face behind.' " (Eiseley L., "The Immense Journey", 1958)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:43 pm
Chumly:
Quote:
My dog blinked the universe into existence in its entirely 10 minutes ago. How much weight are you willing to give this theology?

When I say it is helpful to be openminded, I don't expect anyone to surrender their common sense or sanity at the door, for the sake of social correctness. Do you see the discussion in this thread thus far as on par with a ten-minute old, dog-blinked universe?

Quote:
How about a religion that demands the extermination of all lesser peoples? Are you willing to dialogue with open-mindedness as per these two?

As soon as we run across anyone in this thread who professes belief in their dog as creator of the universe, or in a religion such as the one you suggest, I'll submit myself to be judged for openmindedness. Until then, I'll regard your post as an attempt to introduce extreme notions simply for the purpose of confrontational dissembling. If you don't wish to discuss spiritual matters peacefully, why not just abstain?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:45 pm
Re: A life without spirituality.
rosborne979 wrote:
snood wrote:
Anyway - to my question. How many people here live life without spirituality?

First, thanks for starting this thread Snood. I think this question is far more engaging than one on religion if only because the lines are less clearly drawn.

My short answer to the question, "do I live life without spirituality?" would have to be no. I am always aware, in every day life of an essence to the world around me which hints of a somehow meaningful "unknown" within the naked elegance of nature itself.

It is this unknown which is spirituality for me.

I've always loved the works of Loren Eiseley. I don't see things exactly as he did, but very very close. Here's a little sample...

Loren Eiseley wrote:
"I would say that if `dead' matter has reared up this curious landscape of fiddling crickets, song sparrows, and wondering men, it must be plain to even the most devoted materialist that the matter of which he speaks contains amazing, if not dreadful powers, and may not impossibly be, as Hardy has suggested, `but one masks of many worn by the Great Face behind.' " (Eiseley L., "The Immense Journey", 1958)

Thanks for a thoughtful post, Rosborne. I certainly don't have all the answers. There are a lot of things that create in me a sense of wonder.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:15 pm
snood wrote:
When I say it is helpful to be openminded, I don't expect anyone to surrender their common sense or sanity at the door, for the sake of social correctness. Do you see the discussion in this thread thus far as on par with a ten-minute old, dog-blinked universe?
I accept the Dog Universe as just as plausible and mertible as any other theology, and is no more or less a surrendering of "common sense or sanity at the door" than any other theology. You infer, for reasons yet to be explained that you disagree the Dog Universe has equal merit to other theologies, so let's hear your rationale for your lack of open-mindedness.
snood wrote:
As soon as we run across anyone in this thread who professes belief in their dog as creator of the universe, or in a religion such as the one you suggest, I'll submit myself to be judged for openmindedness.
Again I will accept both the Dog Universe and the Lesser Peoples to be the equal of any other theology thus we can indeed address your open-mindedness claim within that context.

The fact of the matter is: the popularity of lack thereof of a given theology is not a legitimate justification for or against open-mindedness of said theology.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:32 pm
Chumly wrote:
snood wrote:
I accept the Dog Universe as just as plausible and mertible as any other theology, and is no more or less a surrendering of "common sense or sanity at the door" than any other theology. You infer, for reasons yet to be explained that you disagree the Dog Universe has equal merit to other theologies, so let's hear your rationale for your lack of open-mindedness.
snood wrote:
As soon as we run across anyone in this thread who professes belief in their dog as creator of the universe, or in a religion such as the one you suggest, I'll submit myself to be judged for openmindedness.
Again I will accept both the Dog Universe and the Lesser Peoples to be the equal of any other theology thus we can indeed address your open-mindedness claim within that context.

The fact of the matter is: the popularity of lack thereof of a given theology is not a legitimate justification for or against open-mindedness of said theology.

But wouldn't you agree that someone would actually have to present themselves as actually professing a belief, before we can judge whether or not someone else is open to it? You are simply producing hypotheticals to make a tortured point - and derail the thread.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:40 pm
Nope because unless or until you can demonstrate one theology to be merited beyond another all must be treated equally from the persptove of your open-minded pretext. It does not matter one iota what name you give them; "hypothetical" or any other moniker.
0 Replies