Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 06:17 am
In fact, you could not do better to demonstrate a subjective point of view than to point out that someone believed something wrong despite a contrary consensus.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:22 am
Setanta wrote:
In fact, you could not do better to demonstrate a subjective point of view than to point out that someone believed something wrong despite a contrary consensus.

Great circular argument ya got going there.

Hope you are having a super morning.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 07:27 am
I'm having a wonderful morning--i just demolished your Noah's Ark nonsense in the Bobble versus Science thread.

There's no circular reasoning there--i'm just pointing out that one person holding an opinion contrary to absolutely everyone else's opinion is the best example of subjectivity which anyone could dream up. I did not advance the statement as a logical basis for anything, i just made an observation.

If you're going to use expressions such as "circular reasoning," you need to know when to apply them, and when they just make you look silly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
real life wrote:
Ros,

There are some things that you consider to be wrong.

And I've little doubt that concerning at least these some of these things, it would not matter if the rest of the world considered them right, you would say 'I don't care, the rest of the world is wrong for considering them right. These things are wrong.'

I think you're missing the point of what subjective means, and why your original statement, several pages back, was incorrect.

But I'll continue to try to see if we can understand each other here. If you could please give me an example of somthing which you consider universally "wrong" which doesn't involve a human interaction (and therefor a human judgement), then maybe I can see what you're talking about.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 08:19 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
Ros,

There are some things that you consider to be wrong.

And I've little doubt that concerning at least these some of these things, it would not matter if the rest of the world considered them right, you would say 'I don't care, the rest of the world is wrong for considering them right. These things are wrong.'

Try to explain to him, Ros...that even if everything he is saying is so...

...that would not make those "wrongs" any less subjective.

I'm trying. But it's so hard to get through. Now I feel like George Bush trying to win a war in Iraq... "it's HARD. It's just really hard." Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 03:30 pm
Yes, it's hard work.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:35 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Yes, it's hard work.

Thanks JL
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 06:54 pm
I see RR is still throwing out platitudes that he hopes will stick and just slide down the wall in an oozy mess.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 07:42 pm
Hi, Wiz. I can't imagine that he has any hope they might stick. I suspect his payoff is pure aggression for its own sake--as is the payoff for some of his opponents. Just fun.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 02:33 am
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 03:32 pm
real life wrote:
Therefore YOU do not believe all morality is subjective.
rosborne979 wrote:
Not only is morality subjective, it doesn't even exist outside of our (human) thought.
Exclusive of the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence, how certain can man be that the higher animals alive today (or in the past - such as man's predecessors) in no way have/had morality "outside of our (human) thought"?

Further, if you argue that morality is wholly subjective, what is to stop me from successfully arguing that a family of chimps has a merited measure of morality?

Further if you argue that morality is wholly subjective what is to stop me from successfully arguing that a colony of bees (making up a hive) has a merited measure of morality?

AFAICT and at least by a goodly portion of the definition of morality, there does not appear to be the implicit need for self-awareness to enable some form of morality; but only the need for rules by which can be defined: good and bad and neutral.

Even if one was to argue successfully that morality is implicit to self-awareness and therefore no other animal but man can function in a moral sense (if anyone wants to try and argue this please do!) it only opens up the can of worms of demonstrating the claim of self-awareness.

Quote:
Personal morality defines and distinguishes among right and wrong intentions, thoughts or actions. Human conscience is widely acknowledged to encourage individuals to do right; its origins and role are the subject of much discussion. Belief in an effective system of divine judgment often helps with personal motivation, as classically seen in the success of Medieval codes of knighthood and the spread of Islam. The desire to conform to the behavior of a group to which an individual belongs or aspires to belong is also a powerful force, though it may generally apply to more general cultural norms and customs, where the dichotomy is between proper and improper behavior.

Group morality develops from shared concepts and beliefs and is often codified to regulate behavior within a culture or community. Various defined actions come to be called moral or immoral. Individuals who choose moral action are popularly held to possess "moral fibre", whereas those who indulge in immoral behavior may be labelled as socially degenerate. The continued existence of a group may depend on widespread conformity to codes of morality; an inability to adjust moral codes in response to new challenges is sometimes credited with the demise of a community (a positive example would be the function of Cistercian reform in reviving monasticism; a negative example would be the role of the Dowager Empress in the subjugation of China to European interests). Within nationalist movements, there has been some tendency to feel that a nation will not survive or prosper without acknowledging one, common morality.

Codified morality is generally distinguished from custom, another way for a community to define appropriate activity, by the former's derivation from natural or universal principles. In certain religious communities, the Divine is said to provide these principles through revelation, sometimes in great detail. Such codes may be called laws, as in the Law of Moses, or community morality may be defined through commentary on the texts of revelation, as in Islamic law. Such codes are distinguished from legal or judicial right, including civil rights, which are based on the accumulated traditions, decrees and legislation of a political authority, though these latter often invoke the authority of the moral law.

Morality can also be seen as the collection of beliefs as to what constitutes a good life. Since throughout most of human history, religions have provided both visions and regulations for an ideal life (through such beliefs characterized by 'the god(s) know what's best for us') morality is often confused with religious precepts. In secular communities, lifestyle choices, which represent an individual's conception of the good life, are often discussed in terms of "morality". Individuals sometimes feel that making an appropriate lifestyle choice invokes a true morality, and that accepted codes of conduct within their chosen community are fundamentally moral, even when such codes deviate from more general social principles.

While some philosophers and biologists hold that morality is a thin crust hiding egoism, amorality, and anti-social tendencies, others see morality as a product of evolutionary forces and as evidence for continuity with other group-living organisms. Proponents of what could be called "Natural Outgrowth Theory" see no conflict between evolutionary biology and morality since moral codes generally prescribe behavior that enhances individual fitness and group well-being.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morality
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 06:08 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Therefore YOU do not believe all morality is subjective.
rosborne979 wrote:
Not only is morality subjective, it doesn't even exist outside of our (human) thought.

Exclusive of the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence, how certain can man be that the higher animals alive today (or in the past - such as man's predecessors) in no way have/had morality "outside of our (human) thought"?

Further, if you argue that morality is wholly subjective, what is to stop me from successfully arguing that a family of chimps has a merited measure of morality?

Further if you argue that morality is wholly subjective what is to stop me from successfully arguing that a colony of bees (making up a hive) has a merited measure of morality?

Hi Chumly, you can try to argue those points, but whether or not you will make your case successfully has yet to be seen.

And more importantly, even if you did make that case successfully, all you will have demonstrated is that some form or morality is exhibited outside of human behavior, but it will not change the fact that morality is subjective, if anything, it'll be even more subjective based on the reasoning and motivations of different species. And subjectivity, of course, was the main point of the original exchange begun by RL.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 08:53 pm
Hi-yah rosborne979,

I surely would never try and argue that morality is any less subjective (unless I was being funny) if it can be shown that it applies to creatures that may lack the degree of self-awareness some claim man has.

To make my argument as per other creatures and their ability to enable a sense of morality all I need to show is that they live by rules and that these rules can be argued to be a moral system at least with the definition I have provided as per "Codified morality" & the "Natural Outgrowth Theory".

So I ask you: do not chimps live by rules of which if they follow good things are more likely to happen and if they don't bad things are more likely to happen? And I also ask you: why does it matter if you can or cannot prove self-awareness, and are you up to the challenge of proving man has self-awareness and free wile if you argue it is essential in order to have a "Codified morality"?

I know I am rambling off from the beaten trail as per the original exchange begun by RL, but I just cant help it, it's fun Cool

Time to get some supper!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:01 pm
I see where you're going with this Chumly. I think animals that have what might appear to be moral behavior patterns have acquired them in the usual Darwinian way. Bees that don't function as a team don't compete well with similar bees. Monkey's that don't learn how to "behave" don't get the chance to mate. I think human behavior is exactly the same. I think we may project moral concepts onto what is essentially survivalist behavior.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:26 pm
Eorl wrote:
I see where you're going with this Chumly. I think animals that have what might appear to be moral behavior patterns have acquired them in the usual Darwinian way. Bees that don't function as a team don't compete well with similar bees. Monkey's that don't learn how to "behave" don't get the chance to mate. I think human behavior is exactly the same. I think we may project moral concepts onto what is essentially survivalist behavior.

It's called anthropomorphism. And we are exceedingly good at it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:32 pm
Anthropomorphism applies to more than just this, but yes we are good at it. Sometimes real life appears to say something that makes me swear he's a real person !!! Razz
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 16 Jul, 2006 09:40 pm
Now that's funny!!

This brings up a thread I started a while ago that survivalism itself is a form of morality (anthropomorphism aside or not). My lofty moral goal of taking lots of holidays this summer has meant I have not added to it recently but it's an entertaining read (at least it was for me) and I will add to it later.

What Is Morality?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:05 am
A life without spirituality is like a car without gas.

A total eclipse of the heart, the breathless living dead.

"Life without spirituality" is an oxymoron...

Spirituality is the spice of life. Life is sustained by the spirit.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 01:41 am
Close

A life without spirituality is like a car without ghosts.

A life without food is like a car without gas.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 02:53 am
Ghost cars; cops love 'em, I hate 'em!
0 Replies