YAY!!!!!!

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:50 am
Asherman wrote:
Neither President Taft, nor Hoover deserve these slurs on their reputations.

It is rather telling that, when comparing Bush to Taft and Hoover, it is the latter two who suffer by the comparison.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:07 pm
Rolling Stone National Affairs Daily feed Apr 11, 2006 4:07 PM
by Tim Dickinson
Hyping Zarqawi

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." -- Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, in an internal 2004 memo praising the propaganda campaign to hype the threat of Iraq's "terrorist mastermind" Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
I'm frankly amazed this Washington Post story from Monday hasn't gotten more play.

What it exposes is that Bush administration never stopped lying to the American people about the threats faced in Iraq. Just as it did with WMD before the war, the administration hyped the threat posed by Zarqawi during the occupation -- this time to make it seem as though Iraq were a vital part of the battle with Al Qaeda.

Today, we know Zarqawi as the mastermind of the insurgency, Al Qaeda's main man in Iraq, the diabolical plotter behind all of those suicide and roadside bombs. The administration spun this line, and the American media, myself included, swallowed hook, line and sinker. But it turns out that Zarqawi's role in Iraq has been shamelessly hyped in a "psychological operations" propaganda effort -- aimed both at Iraqis and, in apparent contravention of Pentagon policy, at the American public.

Last summer, Col. Derek Harvey -- a top military intelligence officer in Iraq and who handled Iraq intel for the Joint Chiefs of Staff -- told a gathering of Army brass that Zarqawi's violence represented "a very small part of the actual numbers . . . The long-term threat is not Zarqawi or religious extremists, but these former regime types and their friends."

Harvey continued, "Our own focus on Zarqawi has enlarged his caricature, if you will -- made him more important than he really is."

As outlined in documents obtained by the Post, the propaganda effort to hype Zarqawi had two intended effects: To unify Iraqis, who would blame this meddling outsider for the violence in their country, and to make Zarqawi an enduring symbol stateside -- one that justified continued U.S. presence in Iraq.

These Power Point slides prepared for top U.S. commander in Iraq, General Casey, are startling, in that they show just how naked and calculating this deception of the American people was, listing the "home audience" as a major target of the propaganda effort.

This text describes the "results" of operation "Villainize Zarqawi."

Through aggressive Strategic Communications Abu Musab al-Zarqawi now represents:

-- Terrorism in Iraq

-- Foreign Fighters in Iraq

-- Suffering of Iraqi People (Infrastructure Attacks)

-- Denial of Aspirations (Disrupting Transfer of Sovereignty)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:11 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Rolling Stone National Affairs Daily feed Apr 11, 2006 4:07 PM
by Tim Dickinson
Hyping Zarqawi

"The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date." -- Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, in an internal 2004 memo praising the propaganda campaign to hype the threat of Iraq's "terrorist mastermind" Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
I'm frankly amazed this Washington Post story from Monday hasn't gotten more play.

What it exposes is that Bush administration never stopped lying to the American people about the threats faced in Iraq. Just as it did with WMD before the war, the administration hyped the threat posed by Zarqawi during the occupation -- this time to make it seem as though Iraq were a vital part of the battle with Al Qaeda.

Today, we know Zarqawi as the mastermind of the insurgency, Al Qaeda's main man in Iraq, the diabolical plotter behind all of those suicide and roadside bombs. The administration spun this line, and the American media, myself included, swallowed hook, line and sinker. But it turns out that Zarqawi's role in Iraq has been shamelessly hyped in a "psychological operations" propaganda effort -- aimed both at Iraqis and, in apparent contravention of Pentagon policy, at the American public.

Last summer, Col. Derek Harvey -- a top military intelligence officer in Iraq and who handled Iraq intel for the Joint Chiefs of Staff -- told a gathering of Army brass that Zarqawi's violence represented "a very small part of the actual numbers . . . The long-term threat is not Zarqawi or religious extremists, but these former regime types and their friends."

Harvey continued, "Our own focus on Zarqawi has enlarged his caricature, if you will -- made him more important than he really is."

As outlined in documents obtained by the Post, the propaganda effort to hype Zarqawi had two intended effects: To unify Iraqis, who would blame this meddling outsider for the violence in their country, and to make Zarqawi an enduring symbol stateside -- one that justified continued U.S. presence in Iraq.

These Power Point slides prepared for top U.S. commander in Iraq, General Casey, are startling, in that they show just how naked and calculating this deception of the American people was, listing the "home audience" as a major target of the propaganda effort.

This text describes the "results" of operation "Villainize Zarqawi."

Through aggressive Strategic Communications Abu Musab al-Zarqawi now represents:

-- Terrorism in Iraq

-- Foreign Fighters in Iraq

-- Suffering of Iraqi People (Infrastructure Attacks)

-- Denial of Aspirations (Disrupting Transfer of Sovereignty)

And now he's dead! YAY!!!!!!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:37 pm
McGentrix, "And now he's dead! YAY!!!!!!" hahaha. Well that's what I said years ago when he was first reported dead. But psyops aimed at manipulating a domestic audience is still very much alive. That's very disturbing to those who dont like mass manipulation and lying the world into war. I'm not surprised you failed to address the psyops issue.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:48 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
McGentrix, "And now he's dead! YAY!!!!!!" hahaha. Well that's what I said years ago when he was first reported dead. But psyops aimed at manipulating a domestic audience is still very much alive. That's very disturbing to those who dont like mass manipulation and lying the world into war. I'm not surprised you failed to address the psyops issue.

Really? I was surpirsed at my self actually. I had sort of made a policy to not respond to post dealing with conspriracy theories.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:54 pm
So you are denying what Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt and Col. Harvey are saying? You deny the existence of the Zarqawi psyops program? "These Power Point slides prepared for top U.S. commander in Iraq, General Casey, are startling, in that they show just how naked and calculating this deception of the American people was, listing the "home audience" as a major target of the propaganda effort." The Washington Post is lying about the propaganda effort"
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:42 pm
A voice of sanity among the insane.

Quote:

Video available at,

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

Scroll down to,

Michael Berg on CNN: Not what Soledad expected

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:47 pm
Interesting article on the guy

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/200607/zarqawi
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:49 pm
The gentleman referred to in the linked article in the above post, Mr. Michael Berg, is being interviewed on CBC as i type this. He states that his son was killed by Zarquawi because of the Abu Ghraib scanal, and that he considers Bush to be just as responsible for Nicholas Berg's death as he does Zarquawi.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:56 pm
Makes me wonder how many he trained to commit suicide.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:08 pm
Quote:
Cheer up you liberals, this is a happy day!

That it isn't, for them, is the whole problem in a small nutshell. Liberal hate, starting with their loathing of Reagan and continuing unabated since, makes discourse impossible. They don't know what they believe anymore, but they know what they hate. Sick.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:

That it isn't, for them, is the whole problem in a small nutshell. Liberal hate, starting with their loathing of Reagan and continuing unabated since, makes discourse impossible. They don't know what they believe anymore, but they know what they hate. Sick.

It's not hate, Paull. It's a profoundly deep amazement that seeks to understand why conservatives always seem to vote in presidents that are more than a few jelly beans short of a jarful.

Are the ranks really that shallow?
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:20 pm
One can certainly understand the overwhelming, paralyzing grief of a bereaved parent, and even forgive irrational statements made at the height of that grief.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
paull wrote:
Quote:

I thought it was great that the entire Iraqi press corps stood up and applauded when they heard the news. If only our press corps could be as patriotic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:22 pm
SierraSong wrote:
One can certainly understand the overwhelming, paralyzing grief of a bereaved parent, and even forgive irrational statements made at the height of that grief.

You obviously neither read the linked article, nor heard the CBC interview. I can think of few statements more rational than that the Shrub is responsible for all the grief in Iraq.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
SierraSong wrote:

You obviously neither read the linked article, nor heard the CBC interview. I can think of few statements more rational than that the Shrub is responsible for all the grief in Iraq.

I wasn't referring to any 'linked' article. I saw Mr. Berg interviewed this morning before I left for work, when he was saying that the FBI rigged the video to make it appear that Zarqaqi beheaded his son.

Among other things.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:24 pm
Quote:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/blumenthal/2006/06/08/haditha/?source=whitelist

George Bush Sr. asked retired general to replace Rumsfeld
The former president's secret campaign to oust the secretary of defense was rebuffed by President Bush, a source says.

By Sidney Blumenthal

The elder Bush's intervention was an extraordinary attempt to rescue simultaneously his son, the family legacy and the country. The current president had previously rejected entreaties from party establishment figures to revamp his administration with new appointments. There was no one left to approach him except his father. This effort to pluck George W. from his troubles is the latest episode in a recurrent drama -- from the drunken young man challenging his father to go "mano a mano," to the father pulling strings to get the son into the Texas Air National Guard and helping salvage his finances from George W.'s mismanagement of Harken Energy. For the father, parental responsibility never ends. But for the son, rebellion continues. When journalist Bob Woodward asked George W. Bush if he had consulted his father before invading Iraq, he replied, "He is the wrong father to appeal to in terms of strength. There is a higher father that I appeal to."

See what I mean, Paull.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:33 pm
The Zarqawi campaign is discussed in several of the internal military documents. "Villainize Zarqawi/leverage xenophobia response," one U.S. military briefing from 2004 stated. It listed three methods: "Media operations," "Special Ops (626)" (a reference to Task Force 626, an elite U.S. military unit assigned primarily to hunt in Iraq for senior officials in Hussein's government) and "PSYOP," the U.S. military term for propaganda work.

One internal briefing, produced by the U.S. military headquarters in Iraq, said that Kimmitt had concluded that, "The Zarqawi PSYOP program is the most successful information campaign to date."

Link

I wonder who the new boogie man will be?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:46 pm
Not Bin Laden. He's inconveniently out of reach -- good boogiemen should be killable.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 06:12 pm
Let's try a comment.

Zarqawi is dead. Good.

He was likely betrayed or ratted out.

Even better.
0 Replies