The Vagina Monologues.

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 11:59 pm
I had Penis thread envy...

Seriously, I was flipping through the channels and caught "The Vagina Monologue." Th first time I watched the HBO special, I was surprised at my nonchalant, unloving relationship with such a vital part of meeself! It was like one of the women said, "I know it is there, but that's about it."

We have body parts we lavish with lotions, make up, attention and affection.... I had consigned my vagina to some foreign, forlorn land, and only called when it was needed for service.

The woman on the Monologues made me feel guilty, and sorry for my indifference of my vagina. She CELEBRATED hers!

It talked. And it had alot to say. It does not like garden scented douches or cotton tampons.

There was a time I wouldn't even say 'vagina'.

The men (and women) here are comfortable with penises (penii?)

What kind of relationship do the women have with their vaginas? Is it taboo?

Have you seen the HBO special or the play? Did it change the way you think/act regarding your Woman Flower?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,249 • Replies: 123
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 12:12 am
"Down the vagina trail"

"The Vagina Monologues" writer Eve Ensler on laughter, desire and reentering her own nether regions.

By Pamela Grossman
- - - - - - - - - -

April 19, 2000 | "' V agina.' Doesn't matter how many times you say it, it never sounds like a word you want to say." That's Eve Ensler in the prologue to her immensely popular play "The Vagina Monologues," which began as a one-woman show performed by Ensler off-off-Broadway four years ago. The play is currently in production off-Broadway, with rotating three-woman casts. Alanis Morissette, Julie Kavner and Marlo Thomas were recent performers; Claire Danes is among those onstage now.

The play condenses 200 interviews Ensler conducted with women about their vaginas into a series of character-driven monologues. The research process transformed Ensler from a woman who hesitated to say the word "vagina" to a performer who said it 128 times per show. Ensler has taken advantage of the play's success, using it as a political vehicle and in fund-raisers for international women's charities. "V-Day" benefits, staged by celebrity actors on Feb. 14 for the last three years, have routinely sold out; one show in Los Angeles alone raised approximately $250,000. Meanwhile, college students across the country are eagerly staging the show, and HBO will tape Ensler performing it in August.

I recently met Ensler for breakfast at City Bakery in New York, days before she left on a four-month worldwide trip to research her next project. I found her confident and hugely enthusiastic, amazed and overjoyed about recent self-discoveries -- physical and emotional. "Through the course of doing the show," Ensler said at one point in our interview, "I feel like I've reentered my vagina. And that has completely changed my life."

The New York Times said that many people think of you as "the Messiah heralding the second wave of feminism."

Deeper into the ....story.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 06:04 am
Speaking as a man, the more women talk about their vaginas the better off we all are.

Vaginas RULE!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 07:20 am
LOL! I am very happy with mine - and quite happy to talk about it at appropriate times - but it does not occupy a huge amount of my attention, except when I am using it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 07:25 am
I love my vagina, and talk about it constantly.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:39 am
I haven't seen "Vagina Monologues", but want to -- especially now that you've brought it up! I tend to forget about my vagina until I want something from it, or if it gets upset because I haven't eaten enough yogurt. I don't think I've thought of it as taboo, but not as a "woman flower" either.

Great, now I'm going to be pondering my vagina all day.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:15 am
What next, The Blue Man Group and Duck Tours on television?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:35 am
Does anybody have directions to the Hatch Shell?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:56 am
What happens to your vagina when you don't eat enough yogurt?

Anyway,

I LOVE VAGINAS!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:01 am
Don't know, but I am running to find some yogurt pronto.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:51 am
Yogourt is good.
Vaginas are better for our knowledge of yogourt.

I think reading Our Bodies, Ourselves 20+ years ago changed my perspective of, feelings about, my vagina. My vagina is my friend.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:52 am
heehee Vaginas LOVE yogurt -- it has lots of helpful little things in there to keep the woman flower healthy and happy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:52 am
Hmm, I have heard that yogurt is very good for yeast infections, but I didn't think eating it was the solution...women be proud! Your vaginas rock my world! If the word is uncomfortable, what would be your choice to rename said organ? Woman flower is nice, but there has to be other choices...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:54 am
I dunno, but I really dislike "woman flower". Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:56 am
Had to edit, soz, woman flower is indeed a little creepy in a hippie sorta way...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 10:57 am
after the agonies i went through to name my new car, i don't think i'm up for this project.

Too bad there's no version of the Car Talk Car Naming software for this.
(or is there?)
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 11:00 am
Oh maaaann...I kind of liked that one! Wasn't there a Madonna song once about the vagina reminding us that it's where all life begins? We could call it a garden of eden, or a big bang. No, both of those are pretty creepy...hmmmm
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 12:20 pm
So wait...are you supposed to EAT the yogurt, or...
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 12:56 pm
yes, you eat yogurt.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 01:49 pm
Eat the yogurt? Where's the fun in that?

By the way, I love all of your vaginas. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies