Civilians Death Rate in Iraq Less Than in Washington, DC

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have never defended Brandon's scientific credentials in this matter. That was never the point, but you are apparently too thick-skulled for that to sink in. It is slander, because Brandon has a detailed and deep grasp of the principles of physics, which he has displayed on more than one occasion.

What a bunch of idjits--what a political lynch mob.

I am not a mob.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:31 pm
I'm definitely considering becoming a mob.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have never defended Brandon's scientific credentials in this matter. That was never the point, but you are apparently too thick-skulled for that to sink in. It is slander, because Brandon has a detailed and deep grasp of the principles of physics, which he has displayed on more than one occasion.

And so what do physics have to do with invalid statistics in this manner?

Are you getting it yet? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm definitely considering becoming a mob.

Speaking of mob, anyone watching the Sopranos this season? Absolutely superb.

Reminds of the clueless and corrupt goombas (sp?) running our government today.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
Setanta wrote:

I think you mean "defamation," like what you did just there.

I never spoke a bad word about Brandon. Although laughing at how quickly his argument was shredded probably wasn't very nice.

Are you aware of just how silly you are sounding, Set?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
Looks like even the puppet government's tolerance for arrogance and incompetence is wearing thin:

Quote:
Iraqi PM sick of US excuses over civilian deaths
Iraq's new Prime Minister says his patience was wearing thin with excuses from US troops that they kill civilians by mistake.

He vowed to investigate killings of Iraqi civilians in the western town of Haditha last November after local witnesses said they were shot by Marines.

"We are worried about the increase in 'mistakes'. I am not saying that they are intentional. But it is worrying for us," Nuri al-Maliki told Reuters in an interview.

US Defence officials have said charges including murder may be brought against Marines following a US investigation into the 24 civilian deaths in Haditha, a stronghold of the Sunni Arab insurgency.

"There is a limit to the acceptable excuses. Yes a mistake may happen but there is an acceptable limit to mistakes," Mr Maliki said.

"We will ask for answers not only about Haditha but about any operation ... in which killing happened by mistake and we will hold those who did it responsible."

Perhaps he should be reassured that DC "isn't much better", and that this is simply the recognized, and accepted, status quo in the US....and if Iraq ever wants to be like the US, they need to accept the status quo.
Perhaps an email is in order.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
My point was not that it's valid because comparison is possible. My point was that the mere fact that the death rates are in the same neighborhood belies the typical liberal image of civilians being killed left and right.

Do I read that right? In one breath you are admitting that the comparison is not valid. In the next you continue to assert that the article has some kind of meaning beyond being bad prose.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.

No, you are not reading it correctly, which is odd, since it isn't very complicated. I am saying that even the fact that the Iraqi civilian death rate is in the same ballpark as the murder rate in some American, cities belies the notion, often presented by some liberals, that Iraqi civilians are being slaughtered like cattle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:36 pm
What i get is that you are so eager to attack someone with whom you disagree politically that you are willing to agree to a slander of that person in matters which do not relate to the topic.

Thomas wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
How someone can claim to be a scientist, and yet regurgitate tripe such as the article that started this thread, is beyond me.

Let me assure you that scientists are as likely as everybody else to be wingnuts, and as likely as anybody else to support their politics with bogus arguments.

Thomas is absolutely correct--when it comes to the Shrub and this war, Brandon is a wingnut. That is no good reason to slander his credentials in science, which is what DD was doing. I objected, and i continue to object.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
Setanta has reached poopity head status, he may be my brother. Recently my friend Osso told me about her friend who was following a car when a passenger tossed a dog out the window while driving down a highway and her friend stopped to pick up the dobbie and take it to the vet. I remarked that "one should carry a gun in the car" and Osso remarked "oh no, the dobbie turned out ok after surgery and lived for several years, I responded "carrying a gun would be for the purpose of shooting anyone that would toss an animal out of a car window. Osso poured herself a neat scotch. Osso is my friend, I often think Setanta is my friend. I don't have many friends.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
Small wonder, if that's the way you treat dobbies . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
I'll repeat: I never slandered Brandon. Insulted, maybe.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
My point was not that it's valid because comparison is possible. My point was that the mere fact that the death rates are in the same neighborhood belies the typical liberal image of civilians being killed left and right.

Do I read that right? In one breath you are admitting that the comparison is not valid. In the next you continue to assert that the article has some kind of meaning beyond being bad prose.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date.

No, you are not reading it correctly, which is odd, since it isn't very complicated. I am saying that even the fact that the Iraqi civilian death rate is in the same ballpark as the murder rate in some American, cities belies the notion, often presented by some liberals, that Iraqi civilians are being slaughtered like cattle.

You're not doing Setanta any favors by continuing to defend your ridiculous contention.

"Geese weigh more than ducks. Bears weigh more than ducks. Therefore, bears weigh the same as geese."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:48 pm
I've attempted to slander Brandon but I only graduated 8th grade and can't match his credentials.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:50 pm
DrewDad wrote:

"Geese weigh more than ducks. Bears weigh more than ducks. Therefore, bears weigh the same as geese."

So, bears can fly right?
I knew it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:51 pm
You've gotten (or is it received, Lord Elpus?) the gist of High School by frequenting this site.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:53 pm
I'm picking up some Muslix to take home.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:54 pm
As i've never defended Brandon's contention, whether or not he does is meaningless to me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
Someone check me on this... Does Set seem to be channeling Momma Angel?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:01 pm
That's a pretty idiotic thing to say. And i don't need any damn cereal, either. I deplored a personal attack on Brandon, i did not defend his thesis. I have not the slightest inclination to change my position that his political blindness does not warrant slandering him personally.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:03 pm
Set, your misuse of the word "slander" is becoming almost as funny as McGentrix's use of "wellfare."
0 Replies