Rebel Texas Democrats to Hold Conference

Scrat

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:36 pm
Lola wrote:
Scrat, so good to see that we haven't scared you away.

So good to feel welcome, Lola. Thanks. Cool
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:40 pm
Scroll.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 01:48 pm
Likewise. Scroll.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 02:49 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Rick Perry had a greater role than he previously revealed in the hunt for more than 50 Democratic lawmakers who left the state to block passage of a bill, according to testimony from a state trooper.
Texas trooper: Perry helped hunt for Democrats
0 Replies

max

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 03:34 pm
Of course Perry looked for the Democrats. Duh.
Anyway this is some of the good news:
There was alot of legislation on public education, basically an onslaught. Voucher and voucher-equivalent bills dead (Yeah! My kid went to a private school through middle school and it is called Private for a reason)
Bills to strip educators of their already modest contract and due process rights
Class size limits
teacher certification standards
There was even an attempt to make it illegal for teachers to pay dues voluntarily to the professional organization of their choice through payroll deduction.
Balancing the budget with taxess on school employees and school districts---Final outcome was all but predetermined in January, when the states top leaders decided to impose deep cuts rather than respond to a budget shorfall by raising needed revenue. The only questions were a) how deep the cuts would need to be to hit the predetermined budget-cut targets and b) exactly where the ax would fall.
For the first time, school districts will also have to pay a tax to support retiree health care. Each school district will have to pay an amount equaling four-tenths of a percent of gross payroll to maintain the TRS-Care program.
Some Good News!
For the first time since 1995, teachers will have the protection of a state paperwork reduction law, if Perry lets it become law. Also passed is a measure to reimburse teachers for the purchase of classroom supplies.
Limits of teachers exposure to lawsuits!
And the one I was so concerned about--Of paramount importance to is the fact that teachers authority to remove disruptive or violent students remains intact. (their were actually some folks that wanted another and another chance for these kids)
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 08:49 pm
I'm enjoying this!

The noose is tightening around Tom DeLay -- looks like he's in for a spot of bother: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-2756556,00.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 08:56 pm
Now why ain't I surprised?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:08 pm
I wonder if the Dems can hide out for a month?

Quote:
Gov. Rick Perry is preparing to call a special legislative session for July on congressional redistricting and government reorganization, two well-placed Republican legislators told the Houston Chronicle.

Both sources asked not to be identified, the newspaper reported Thursday.

One lawmaker said he was informed that a 30-day session could begin about June 30. He said he expected Perry to announce the special session next week and the House Redistricting Committee to hold public hearings before lawmakers convene.

"They told me July. My information was very specific," the lawmaker said.

Perry spokeswoman Kathy Walt wouldn't confirm or deny the reports, but said the governor's vacation schedule was "up in the air."

Two other Republican legislators said they had been advised by the governor's office not to make vacation plans for July.

statesman.com
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 09:32 pm
Pd

Please contact them and let them know they are welcome at either my home or scrat's.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 11:38 am
Quote:
Details Sought on Bush Role in Texas Dispute
By Mike Allen
Washington Post

Sunday 08 June 8 2003

A Democratic leader asked yesterday for details of communication by President Bush and his senior adviser, Karl Rove, with House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) about a partisan Texas dispute that absorbed federal resources.

Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (Conn.), ranking Democrat on the Governmental Affairs Committee and a presidential candidate, said White House Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. told him by telephone Tuesday that DeLay spoke with Bush and Rove about the matter.

The issue is politically sensitive because the Department of Homeland Security has acknowledged assisting law enforcement officers who were asked by Republicans to round up Democrats who had fled the state to avoid voting on a redistricting plan championed by DeLay. The plan died when a deadline passed without a quorum.

An FBI agent also helped in the search, but the bureau said it did not act at the behest of politicians. The Federal Aviation Administration gave aircraft-tracking information to DeLay's staff, and his staff sought advice from the Justice Department.

A White House official said Bush and Rove spoke to DeLay before the departure of the Democratic legislators. The official said Bush spoke to DeLay "briefly and in passing" and that Rove and DeLay discussed "redistricting in Texas generally."

Another White House official confirmed Lieberman's conversation with Card. "The summary speaks for itself," spokeswoman Jeanie Mamo said. "The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Transportation are looking into this matter."

A Lieberman source said Card was "vague" in his description.

A senior administration official said DeLay's conversation with Bush "likely" occurred in conjunction with a 45-minute meeting he held April 30 with Republican leaders of the House and the Senate to discuss the tax cut and other legislation. The exodus by Democrats began on May 12.

DeLay told reporters at a briefing on May 13 that, as he walked out of a Republican leadership meeting with Bush the previous week, he had told the president he thought the Texas redistricting plan would pass. The administration official did not know when the conversation with Rove occurred.

DeLay has said he and his staff made no overture to the Department of Homeland Security, and noted that the FAA information was publicly available.

A Lieberman aide said the senator sent a letter to Card yesterday asking for more details. Lieberman said in his letter that Card told him that neither Bush nor Rove "contacted any federal agencies about the missing legislators" as a result of a conversation with DeLay. Lieberman said he was told that Card "had asked others at the White House about this matter and found no inappropriate action had been taken."

The letter quoted Card as saying that he did not intend to respond in writing to a request Lieberman made on May 27 for information about White House involvement.

"In a matter of this significance, where questions have been raised about whether scarce homeland security resources were misused for political purposes, the public should not be forced to rely on private reassurances," Lieberman said.

Lieberman's letter asked for a written description of White House involvement, including "any contacts and actions, even those you do not believe to be inappropriate."
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
And front page NY Times today about run away grand jury investigations in Houston, on how trials have been conducted in Harris County, which includes Houston. The DA is not sounding credible, and it is rare that a DA has been asked to keep out of it, since a grand jury is traditionally a DA's jury. Seems there was a lot of hank panky in the judicial system there.

Tartarin, you live in an interesting state.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
But we're nice and have good senses of humor...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:01 pm
In the wonderful dustup between Franken and O'Reilly, Molly Ivens told a wonderful little joke. I believe she was quoting someone else who had said that..."Gas was getting so expensive that women were now having to car pool to run over their husbands"
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:59 pm
Who is nice? Not me. Speak for yourself, Tartarin................laugh....
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:05 pm
Oh come on, Lola, you're probably one of the nicest people here. Despite that twitchy hand doing things with that skirt.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:11 pm
well, that hand is just nasty.........but I don't want to get a bad rep and be known as "nice." That could be a killer. :-)
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:20 am
Mama:

You leave Lola and her twicthy hand alone!

Twitch Lola, Twitch!! Pant, Pant !!! Twisted Evil

Anon the Nasty Mr. Green
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I say use the Amber Alert system the next time these turds try to pull off a childish stunt like that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Got any more fiction to post over here Anon?
0 Replies

Anon

PDiddie:

Maybe Cjhsa can check the police blotter to see if it really happened Smile Whenever Cj has to make sure something really happened, he checks the police blotter.

With smarts like that, there ain't much you can do with him!

Anon
0 Replies