Rebel Texas Democrats to Hold Conference

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Speaking of Texas Republicans, how about that Tom DeLay? His latest gambit is to stop Congress from providing the child tax credit to low-income parents. This despite the fact that Bush now wants it!

Tom DeLay, too conservative for the Bush Administration. I love it!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Never said anything like that. Just pointing out that you are spinning, and I'm not in agreement.
0 Replies

Scrat

Lola - Your reluctance to address the facts I offered or answer the questions I posed speaks volumes about the thought you are willing to give to this topic. I realize that crying out at what you perceive as injustice is far simpler than considering whether it is in fact unjust, but I can only lead you to the water. What you do with it is up to you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

You're only agreeing with yourself.
0 Replies

PDiddie

I agree, cjhsa.

In fact, let's just put all the Texas Republicans on a timeout, take away their allowance, and ground them for thirty days or the end of the next special session, whichever comes last. Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Until now we've assumed that the Department of Homeland Security got hoodwinked into getting involved in the manhunt for the Texas Democrats.

Apparently that's not so.

One of the things Homeland Security did to help the Texas Republicans was to put out what amounted to an APB, calling various Texas airports to see if they could track down the Democrats in question. When an official at one of the local airports contacted by Homeland Security asked what was up, the Homeland Security official told him it didn't have anything to do with a downed plane or any problem like that. "This is just somebody looking for politicians they can't find," an unidentified official told Marvin Miller, an airport official in Plainview, Texas, according to a Saturday article in the Washington Post.

So much for an innocent misunderstanding. So much for 'homeland security'.

Here's the last three paragraphs from the citation above:

Quote:
Privacy experts have questioned the federal agency's involvement in the search. "I think it's extraordinary," said Mark Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center. "This tracking ability was established to protect the country from terrorists, not to put political opponents under a microscope. We've kind of anticipated that this kind of abuse would arise, but it's remarkable in the sense that it's so blatant."

Like the search itself, the state and federal inquiries into its legality hinge on surveillance methods. Information about who was present in Craddick's crisis center has come mostly from tapes made by a surveillance camera outside his office, which Bailey obtained a week ago. Audiotapes were also made of relevant calls to and from the interdiction center totaling at least 20 minutes, according to Boyd, of Homeland Security. Those tapes were given to the department's Office of Inspector General.

"This is now potentially a criminal investigation," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge told a U.S. House hearing May 22. "The tapes are part of the evidentiary chain. . . . Who knows what the outcome will be? But it's just not appropriate to be passing that information out right now."
0 Replies

PDiddie

And that's a bad thing in your world?
0 Replies

Scrat

D'artagnan wrote:
Speaking of Texas Republicans, how about that Tom DeLay? His latest gambit is to stop Congress from providing the child tax credit to low-income parents. This despite the fact that Bush now wants it!

D'art - First, I want to point out that I disagree with Bush on this one. (Some here like to claim that I never disagree with der-Bush-meister, so I thought it worth noting.)

Second, do you think that someone who has paid NO income taxes should be entitled to a refund from income tax receipts?

The issue so many seem to wish to ignore here is that these people pay no taxes, and they pay no taxes precisely because Bush cut their marginal rate from 15% to 10% in the last round of tax cuts. They are not eligible for the child tax credit because they already received relief--FROM BUSH--from any federal income tax burden whatsoever.

So, should they receive a refund of monies that they did not and will not pay?

Thanks in advance for your courteous reply.
0 Replies

Ethel2

kiss, going now
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mama, you need to go back to English class.
0 Replies

Ethel2

You mean you think I'm playing ignorance, Anon? Well, you caught me, I must confess................
0 Replies

Ethel2

dyslexia,

I love your one liners. You can say more in one sentence than I can in fifteen paragraphs!
0 Replies

Ethel2

What a mixed up web you weave, Scrat..........really.

Someone, I think it was McGentrix, asked if there was someone out here benefitting from the tax cut. Well, I've benefitted greatly in a financial sort of way. I'm gettin richer by the minute. But what I'll need to do soon is build a giant wall with a moat around it. I'll need armed guards and a homeland security to protect me. I'll need to forget about civil rights and just go for brutish protection at any cost. Seems like too high a price to pay. I think I'd rather give the poor, who bless their little hearts don't pay any income tax, seeing they don't have enough income to do so, a tax credit. Seems reasonable to me. How many tax credits are we going to have anyway? It's not like it will become an institution..........I hope.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Anon,

I'm typical, or the concrete thinkers among us? I take it, it's the later.
0 Replies

Anon

Lola:

You know what I mean my dear! Laughing

Anon
0 Replies

Anon

Lola:

Typical!

Anon
0 Replies

McGentrix

cjhsa wrote:
I'm not off topic, my topic is Anon. I've watched him post obvious lies on Abuzz for a long, long time, and he'll just continue that here, unfortunately.

Verify, verify, verify.

I have never been to Abuzz, but I have seen the manifestation...
0 Replies

Ethel2

But are we off topic? Let's get back to the Texas Democrats, those heros I love.......those silly childish leaders who were brave enough to do what was necessary in a world gone very wrong and getting worse. Let's hear it for the thinking politician........well, maybe that's a little far.....but I do think they are valiant.

Down with "Homeland Security" if it's really the SS. Which I think we all better be watching our backs...............
0 Replies

mamajuana

Scrat wrote - to Lola -

I realize that crying out at what you perceive as injustice is far simpler than considering whether it is in fact unjust, but I can only lead you to the water. What you do with it is up to you.

Well, if you needed a laugh today, Lola, just consider that sentence.
See if you can translate it.

MAMAJUANA
0 Replies

McGentrix

Shouldn't they be more concerned about getting out of those low end income ranges and providing for thier children instead of worrying about a $400 dollar government handout? If the tax cut works the way it's advertised. those low income families should find new employment to make more money and become eligible for the child tax credit.

is there anyone here who is actually affected by this tax delimma that can give a first hand account of what the tax credit means to them?
0 Replies