Rebel Texas Democrats to Hold Conference

Ethel2

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Oh pleeeeeeeeeease cjhsa..........don't start that now.....we were just havin fun.

:-)
0 Replies

Ethel2

McGentrix,

You haven't spent much time with the poor, I take it. If only these problems were so simple.................but what a boring world it would be to have no problems to solve. Concrete, legalistic thinking takes me nowhere except into furyville..........when really, I suppose I should have more compassion for those who feel the need to order their world with simplicities at the expense of everyone, especially the disadvantaged among us.

Which brings us back to Tom DeLay and the Homeland Security crowd. For them, almost anything can be rationalized based on a legalistic excuse. Scary scary. It's time to act, folks. Let's become part of the movement toward change. Show these nazi jerks in the government what the American people are made of.
0 Replies

Anon

cjhsa wrote:
Got any more fiction to post over here Anon?

The only fiction around here is that you have a brain, and that you have something intelligent to say!!
Laughing Shocked Laughing

Get stuffed! Twisted Evil

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

I'm not off topic, my topic is Anon. I've watched him post obvious lies on Abuzz for a long, long time, and he'll just continue that here, unfortunately.

Verify, verify, verify.
0 Replies

Anon

Scrat:

You DO have a stickler there ... I think the more appropriate reduction would have been in the Social Security deductions if you wanted to help the people that really needed it! This money would also have been instantly spent on luxuries like rent, food, transportation, etc. The recession has only been softened by consumer spending. Much of this has come from home refinancing due to the exceptionally low interest rates! This party is mostly over because most of the loans that needed to be refinance have been done.

The low interest rates have been a godsend to many, but they have an insidious nature! Home prices have become inflated to a dangerous degree in that low interest rates make them affordable despite the fact that prices are completely out of line. When the economy trys to heal, interest rates have to come up, and then the prices can no longer be sustained. New construction will cease to exist, therefore costing jobs, etc.

The second insidious part of the low interest rates are the retired who exist on interest income. Money market funds are a joke, as well as CD's. The less the elderly spend, the economy takes another hit, not to mention the implications it has on the elderly being able to survive without government assistance. It doesn't matter if they have been hard workers all their lives and planned ahead for retirement!! They have to go into principal to survive, therefore earn less interest, therefore spend more principal ... ... ...

One of the last reasons to give the tax break, even if "they have not paid it", is that it targeted the very people out there spending their lives for us. A HUGE number of Military were affected by the exclusion of these "non-payers", which is one of the reasons Bush now backs the payment to them!

Fairness is tough no matter how you slice it ... No one has a perfect answer!

Regards, Anon
0 Replies

Ethel2

it is far easier, and I always go for easier, if it involves legalistic tedium..........I have to go for a while.......I'll be back later.
0 Replies

dyslexia

how can they ask for more when they didn't get any in the first place?
0 Replies

Scrat

Lola wrote:
And since they're not eligible, Scrat, let's just let their children starve and their elderly suffer........let's do that. Makes a lot of sense........if you want a class war on your hands. The progressives of the country must work together to stop Rove (via Bush) from destroying democracy.

I'll be back in a minute with the link to the Bill Moyers speech Tartarin posted yesterday.

Really, what a completely ridiculous argument you make! They're not eligible............have you ever heard of compassion? Or just try "long term self interest." They aren't incompatible, you know.

Lola - A couple of points...

1) You completely ignore the fact that these people just got help from the Bush tax cut you like to pretend only went to the "rich". Again for the closed-minded: many of these people are not eligible for a tax refund because Bush cut their taxes to the point where they now pay NONE. (Why didn't compassionate Clinton do that?) This isn't a question of whether these people need help, but a function of the fact that they have already received 100% relief from federal income tax.

2) If these people are impoverished, they should be eligible for help through other programs. If that help is not sufficient, is making a gift through the income tax system the right way to help them? Nobody is arguing that these families couldn't use a few extra bucks, what I and others are arguing is the logic of your complaint that they are being denied something they deserve.

3) My question to D'art was: "...do you think that someone who has paid NO income taxes should be entitled to a refund from income tax receipts?" That's a simple and genuine question. I asked it because it sets the dividing line on this issue.

This is not about "whether" low income families could use some help, it's about "how" to help them, and what help is appropriate.

We have welfare programs to help those who need it. If you think these people genuinely need more help, work to get those programs expanded. Pretending that they are being denied a refund when the facts don't support that claim may be a convenient political tool, but it is either disingenuously or ignorantly made.

Now, if I may, I will assume that your answer to my question is: "YES"; you do think the government should give these families a "refund" despite their having paid nothing to refund to them. Fine. New question...

There are certainly many individuals and couples without children who live at or below the poverty line in this country. Why not argue for giving them the child tax credit as well? If your only real consideration is need, why not advocate giving this money to all who are in need, whether they have children or not? Or would you hard-heartedly argue that these poor starving citizens be denied this boon from the federal coffers?
0 Replies

Ethel2

And since they're not eligible, Scrat, let's just let their children starve and their elderly suffer........let's do that. Makes a lot of sense........if you want a class war on your hands. The progressives of the country must work together to stop Rove (via Bush) from destroying democracy.

I'll be back in a minute with the link to the Bill Moyers speech Tartarin posted yesterday.

Really, what a completely ridiculous argument you make! They're not eligible............have you ever heard of compassion? Or just try "long term self interest." They aren't incompatible, you know.

http://www.thenation.com/thebeat/index.mhtml?bid=1&pid=739

Everyone should rush to this site and read this. It's fantastic!

Anon, Never fear, the nasty hand is here to stay. :-)
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:24 pm
CJSHA:

Ok you ignorant old bastard and your Anon lies stupidity ...

Put a thousand dollars where your lying mouth is ... We will assign Mama as keeper of the cash ... when she has received $1,000 from each of us, I'll let you take your pick of any lie you think I have told. If I prove my "Lie" is indeed the truth , I get the money. If I can't, you get the money!

Put up, or you're a coward, and a liar yourself!! Balls in your court ... Big Mouth!! Back up your ****!

Anon
0 Replies