Rebel Texas Democrats to Hold Conference

Ethel2

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:30 pm
Quote:
In New Mexico, Attorney General Patricia Madrid said her state has no authority to arrest lawmakers who show up there.

"Nevertheless, I have put out an all-points bulletin for law enforcement to be on the lookout for politicians in favor of health care for the needy and against tax cuts for the wealthy," said Madrid, a Democrat.

[URL=abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030512_2125.html]Webpage Title[/URL]

This is hilarious. I didn't know Texas Democrats had it in em...........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,041 • Replies: 309
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 04:45 am
As a Texan, I have been chortling over this all morning. It's the sort of thing I would have done.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 06:24 am
not knowing the specifics of the workings of the Texas government its hard to comment on the potential result however ITS A REAL HOOT.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 06:56 am
If they hide out long enough, the bills they are protesting will have to be shelved. Then a special session to deal with them would be called later on.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:12 am
Texas democrats have always been colorful figures, with a lot of get up and go, which is something the republicans evidently forgot. This is a terrific move, legal, and designed to throw the repubs into a hissy fit. It's almost like going to the mattresses.

Viewed in a broader light - it's one of the many little signs cropping up all over that the dems are beginning to rise. And here the repubs thought they'd just roll over and play dead.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 07:38 am
I think it's a brillant tactic. And hilarious as well. Carl Rove must be envious. Eat your heart out Carl. giggle
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:34 am
Thanks for the info, Lola!! I heard this news all too briefly this morning and think it's a riot -- and troubling if what I heard is true that Texas State Police were sent over the border to get 'em. Or Rangers on horseback. God (the god reserved for red states) only knows.

Evidently if they hang tough, the bills will be shelved on Thursday. Since the redistricting bill is nothing short of scurrilous, I think they're doing the right thing. Will go googling now for the whole story...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:37 am
BTW, when the time comes that I'm thrown out of Texas (any day now), I'm moving to NM just so's I can vote for Ms. Madrid. But I heard the Dems were holed up in a motel in beautiful downtown Ardmore OK, right?
0 Replies

max

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:58 am
Yee-haw! TX politics gets so wild! So yesterday 58 Democrats picked up their marbles and went home.So Tom Craddick orders an arrest.........I just wonder why in the hell did they go to OK? Gee, why not New Orleans? Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 09:45 am
New Orleans might have been a better choice. It'll be too easy to find them in a little town like Ardmore. However, perhaps their fellow Dems in Little Dixie (SE Okla) might hide them...?

This is one Okie that's glad to have 'em here! Maybe they'll inspire the locals...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:06 am
On the other hand, when the OK governor was asked to RETURN THEM, he said, No thanks -- I'd rather tussle with Texas on the football field...

The news reports here emphasize the Republican legislators "not letting constituents down" and "serving the Legislature like good Marines" and the fact that The Other Bills include School Funding and Stuff Like That which are Important and so the Liberals are Letting Us Down Once again, etc. etc.

I like to see both turkey Toms with their feathers ruffled. Will federal Tom appeal to the President to send in Troops to root out the Blues at the Holiday Inn in Ardmore?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:18 am
It seems here quite strange, what is happening in Texas.

Here, state lawmakers are immun. They can only be hold by police, if they a) commited a crime and/or b) their immunity was cancelled by the speaker/immunity commitee.

What makes me wonder as well is that the Texas House only meets any two years (as far as I could find out).
Seems to be a kind of "Chinese parliamentarism".
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:21 am
Hello All:

I laughed about this until I darn near choked to death! Too funny! Too bad they can't do this on a Federal Level!

Anon Laughing
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:39 am
Welcome Anon. So glad to see you. It is funny, isn't it, and much needed.

We're all laughing, it seems. Chuckle chuckle......

My suspicion is that they went to Armore because they didn't want anyone (up tight Repubs) to accuse them of partying, being "irresponsible". You know those liberals. They're all sex fends with massive amounts of moral decay. (never mind that some of us are.) But it's sort of like Bill Bennett. Laughing.......still laughing.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:44 am
Isn't there something aout the Mounties not being allowed toarrest in another state? Like who has jurisdiction, or something?

Wow! Daschle holding with the filibusters, Texas dems pulling a ploy - what's next?

You can always come and stay with us, Tartarin. New Jersey is a fascinating state for poltics.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:08 am
Following...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 11:26 am
Editorial: Texas 'House Flies' have reason to bolt
San Antonio Express-News

PS: Governor Rick Perry is a pretty-boy leftover from the Bush administration. His Lt. Gov. is my neighbor, and I can attest that he ain't worth the cowpies on his land.

PPS: Greetings to the Anonymous Thinker from McTartarin!
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:41 pm
Hi:

That's a fact, talk about boring. New Orleans would be cool, Las Vegas would be fun, but Ardmore, OK. Rolling Eyes

Oklahoma is about as exciting as watching grass grow. I used to be in swim meets in Bartlesville, talk about a snore ... Shocked

Lola ...

Thanks for the welcome back. I've always liked dem legs!! Mr. Green

Anon
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 05:49 pm
The missing Democratic State House members turned up at a Holiday Inn in Ardmore, Oklahoma, where they partied down on Denny's pot roast and continued to thumb their noses at Speaker Craddick and Governor Perry. Here's a roundup of what the major Texas newspapers had to say about this:

The Houston Chronicle understands where the missing Dems are coming from; they compare redistricting rush to school finance reform reluctance and throw Speaker Tom Craddick's words right back at him:

Quote:
Craddick himself spoke a rationale recently in explaining why he counseled delay in dealing with another controversial issue -- school finance -- rather than set to work immediately on a Senate plan for reform.

"We're not going to do anything with a gun to our heads," said Craddick, "especially on something so crucial to the future of Texas."

The issue differs, but the same logic applies. Surrendering the Texas House to an external political agenda set the stage for this showdown.

The Austin-American Statesman blames lack of leadership and finds a lot of it to spread around:

Quote:
It's sad that it came to this, but the speaker has been tested and found wanting on a number of issues. The one that sent the quorum-busters toward the exits was the grossly partisan congressional redistricting bill and how Craddick let it advance in the hasty, backroom way that it did.

(snip)

Craddick's disappointing performance might not matter so much if there were strong leadership out of the governor's office. But Gov. Rick Perry does not lead, he waits -- on events, on bills, on hope that, somehow, the problems will go away or the money will show up. That's why Dewhurst's emergence as a real state leader in the Senate has won so much notice.

The Dallas Morning News also blames Craddick:

Quote:
House Speaker Tom Craddick can halt the work stoppage in Austin. All he has to do is play by the rules on redistricting.

(snip)

Mr. Craddick should resist pressure from Congress to contaminate a generations-old census-based exercise by converting it into an ill-considered purely partisan power grab. He should commit to leave Texas' political boundaries alone, and protesting Democrats should promptly return to the hive.

The San Antonio Express News blames Tom Craddick. Call me crazy, but I think I see a theme developing here.

Quote:
Under the leadership of soft-spoken but rigidly partisan Speaker Tom Craddick, R-Midland, the House has pushed through a variety of measures that have more to do with the enthusiasms of ideologues than with the good of the state.

A totally inadequate state budget is the most egregious sin. Coming in a close second is a blatantly partisan congressional redistricting scheme.

The Waco Tribune not only blames Tom Craddick, they note that Craddick himself once participated in a quorum-busting walkout:

Quote:
Craddick has no one to blame but himself. He helped write history when he was one of 30 members of the Texas House who disappeared during the 1971 legislative session.

Craddick and his "Dirty Thirty" colleagues were protesting the heavy-handed actions of then House Speaker Gus Mutscher and his cronies who were involved in the Sharpstown bribery-conspiracy scandal.

Don't ask me for any links, I'm just too lazy to include them.

My hat's off to the Texas House Flies.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:22 pm
Yup, I read both the San Antone and Austin papers and they're out for blood. Hope you voted and commented in the Waco Tribune poll, PDiddie! I did and left a comment: what Texan wants some Washington legislator dictating policy? etc. etc.
0 Replies