Is flag-waving stupid and immature?

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:57 am
In England here, with a World Cup (soccer) competition coming up soon, there are flags everywhere. These flags are the Cross of St George, the English flag. The Union Flag ("Union Jack") represents Great Britain (UK), not England alone. Both of these flags however are used by far-right nationalist parties.

This is a new phenomenon in the UK, that national flags be flown everywhere. We used to be more restrained. My own view is that it shown immaturity and sometimes xenophobia. I know Americans are keen to wave their national flag on all occasions. My view is, it is silly and is often worse than that.

What do others think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,865 • Replies: 172
No top replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 01:00 am
Similarity of views, here...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 01:41 am
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You got a probem with that? Confused
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:00 am
Hi, Bill! Pledging allegiance to your flag is a different thing than waving it on sports competitions with marked nationalistic views...

And, yes, I have a problem with the One Nation Under God...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:12 am
Francis wrote:
Similarity of views, here...

Very similar views here .... usually THE symbol for right-wings (and Nazis).

One nation under God ... well, we had such here before we became democratic, under the various monarchs in the dozens of different German countries ...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:18 am
Francis wrote:
Hi, Bill! Pledging allegiance to your flag is a different thing than waving it on sports competitions with marked nationalistic views...
Hello Francis. I couldn't agree less. There's little point in waving a flag without an audience, so it follows that in front of a bigger audience is a better place to wave it.

Francis wrote:
And, yes, I have a problem with the One Nation Under God...
Not my favorite part either, to be honest... because I care neither for the presumption nor the arrogance… but the balance of it more than makes up for it IMO.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:28 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Not a problem, so much as a question. Allegiance to the country of your birth is fine, as long as it does not engender xenophobia.

But taking American behaviour as a particular example; when they are all surrounded by other Americans, with the nearest foreigner about 2000 miles away, why do they want to wave flags at each other? To remind themselves where they are? I'm really and genuinely curious about this.
The British, as noted above, seem to be going the same way and I think it is a retrograde step.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 02:49 am
Re: Is flag-waving stupid and immature?
McTag wrote:
In England here, with a World Cup (soccer) competition coming up soon, there are flags everywhere. These flags are the Cross of St George, the English flag. The Union Flag ("Union Jack") represents Great Britain (UK), not England alone. Both of these flags however are used by far-right nationalist parties.

This is a new phenomenon in the UK, that national flags be flown everywhere. We used to be more restrained. My own view is that it shown immaturity and sometimes xenophobia. I know Americans are keen to wave their national flag on all occasions. My view is, it is silly and is often worse than that.

What do others think?

I think the same thing as you.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:14 am
McTag wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Not a problem, so much as a question. Allegiance to the country of your birth is fine, as long as it does not engender xenophobia.

But taking American behaviour as a particular example; when they are all surrounded by other Americans, with the nearest foreigner about 2000 miles away, why do they want to wave flags at each other? To remind themselves where they are? I'm really and genuinely curious about this.
The British, as noted above, seem to be going the same way and I think it is a retrograde step.
Perhaps it is for Brits. We, on the other hand; like to remind ourselves that we we're founded on principles and still stand collectively for things like freedom, liberty and justice for all.

As a capitalist; I like the reminders that the strength of greed isn't the only thing that makes this nation great... and I'm comforted by the sheer volume of such reminders.

I live in a town where strangers do each other favors and look out for one another. The sight of a flag could be viewed as an indication of a place I could ask "could you help me?" should the need ever arise. One need not be a fanatic to wave a flag, McTag... and maturity has nothing to do with it.

Suggestions to the contrary illustrate just one more way conservatives are savvier than liberals in politics. Should the ACLU not be the proudest flag waver of them all? Sure the far right is the most adamant in defense of the flag; but why is that? Those most interested in preserving the principles that flag represents do themselves a grave disservice by not waving their own. Americans who speak as you do are simply asking to be deemed anti-American… which is not a good attribute for any political contender, here.

Same goes for the fools who protest Veteran's memorials like battleships and burials and whatnot. The United States of America's principles have only weathered the centuries through the efforts of both men of principle and those with the bravery to defend it. Neither have exclusive rights to claim the credit and both should embrace the symbol of what they defend.

Jose can you see?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:25 am
"J´engage ma fidelité au drapeau des États-Unis d´Amérique et à la République qu'il répresente, une nation sous Dieu, indivisible, avec liberté et justice pour tous."

"Yo prometo lealtad a la bandera de los estados Unidos de America, y a la Republica que representa, una Nacion bajo Dios, entera, con libertad y justicia para todos."

" Ich gelobe Treue auf die Fahne der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, auf die Republik, die eine Nation unter Gott ist, vereinigt durch Freiheit und Gerechtigkeit fur alle."

"Ik Zweer Trouw aan de vlag van de Verenigde Staten van Amerika en aan de Republiek waarvoor zij staat, één Natie onder God, ondeelbaar, met vrijheid en gerechtigheid voor allen"

" Eu prometo lealdade à bandeira dos Estados Unidos da América, e à República a qual representa, uma Nação abaixo de Deus, indivisível, com liberdade e justiça para todos."

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7938/aaahindipledge27is.jpg
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:43 am
Quote:
Suggestions to the contrary illustrate just one more way conservatives are savvier than liberals in politics. Should the ACLU not be the proudest flag waver of them all? Sure the far right is the most adamant in defense of the flag; but why is that? Those most interested in preserving the principles that flag represents do themselves a grave disservice by not waving their own. Americans who speak as you do are simply asking to be deemed anti-American… which is not a good attribute for any political contender, here.
Emphasis mine.

Sorry, Bill, but the right isn't interested in preserving the principles of anything, they are interested in creating another symbol, one that can be waved mindlessly in the face of anyone asking whether we as a nation ought to actually promote the General Welfare.

"What? You want healthcare coverage? Here wave this instead, kid, you'll feel better."
"Workmen's compensation? Social Security? Medicare? Those are all scams, kid, let's all sing 'My Country, Tis of thee.' "

And whether we. as a nation, are actually serving the principles of our Constitution.

"And so what if we went to war unilaterally? You use some pretty big words there, kid, we got the Flag right that says we're okay. Hold it higher, kid, try not to think about what that symbol has become for millions of non-Americans in the world."

Joe(That's right. Just wave and don't think)Nation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:43 am
Well that's very fine; (replying to Bill) it all depends on your viewpoint. I think, growing up as a liberal-minded fellow and subject of Her Majesty here, loyalty towards the country, its institutions and ideals was more or less taken for granted, and we did not seem to need the overt and omnipresent symbol of the national flag.

It helped of course, that we had a notion of our own superiority :wink:

In that joke lies an unpleasant truth. An example of what I mean can be found in an incident which happened here last week: some white youths set on an arab lad and stabbed him to death. Before they ran off, however, they covered his body in a St George's flag.

It is my suspicion that recent concerns here over immigration have been partly responsible for the unprecedented rash of flags, and this is a matter of some concern.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:59 am
This is America.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7691/flags8te.jpg

Taken at Union Square, New York.

Joe(Red, White, Blue, some gold and some green too)Nation
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 04:42 am
The Dutch arent too big on waving flags at official moments; very few houses indeed have a flagpole or a thingemie on the outside wall to stick a flag in.

But oh, when there is a football match, when there are European or World Championships - literally whole streets are decked out in orange. (A little working-class street in the otherwise gentlefolk neighbourhood I once lived in was literally painted orange - walls, traffic poles, everything.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 04:47 am
nimh wrote:
The Dutch arent too big on waving flags at official moments; very few houses indeed have a flagpole or a thingemie on the outside wall to stick a flag in.

But oh, when there is a football match, when there are European or World Championships - literally whole streets are decked out in orange. (A little working-class street in the otherwise gentlefolk neighbourhood I once lived in was literally painted orange - walls, traffic poles, everything.)

Well that's very reassuring. Perhaps I'm being too juMPy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 04:53 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
"J´engage ma fidelité au drapeau des États-Unis d´Amérique et à la République qu'il répresente, une nation sous Dieu, indivisible, avec liberté et justice pour tous."

"Yo prometo lealtad a la bandera de los estados Unidos de America, y a la Republica que representa, una Nacion bajo Dios, entera, con libertad y justicia para todos."

" Ich gelobe Treue auf die Fahne der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika, auf die Republik, die eine Nation unter Gott ist, vereinigt durch Freiheit und Gerechtigkeit fur alle."

"Ik Zweer Trouw aan de vlag van de Verenigde Staten van Amerika en aan de Republiek waarvoor zij staat, één Natie onder God, ondeelbaar, met vrijheid en gerechtigheid voor allen"

" Eu prometo lealdade à bandeira dos Estados Unidos da América, e à República a qual representa, uma Nação abaixo de Deus, indivisível, com liberdade e justiça para todos."

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/7938/aaahindipledge27is.jpg

Instinctively, I feel that one who is truly confident about that what makes him (his family, his country, etc) great does not need to shout it out from the roofs (or the flagpoles).

That I suppose, is mostly a question of style; a sensitivity to the way people express themselves, different behaviours being appreciated differently in different places. I tend to appreciate modesty rather than loud pride -- and tend to assume true self-confidence more in those who are outwardly modest than in those who are loudly proud.

I guess that means that there is a question of substance beyond the sensitivity of style, then. Those who are already "shouting", even when you dont know them yet - the person who waves his flag in your face before you've even talked - appears to be little ready to listen, and certainly doesn't seem to be inviting an outsider to bring in his own, alternative, point of view. "We know we are the best in the world of all things possible"; that is the message an outsider is likely to get from persistent flag-waving; what use, then, is trying to enter a dialogue still? They think they know everything already anyway.

Its like with Christians, I suppose. There are those who are deeply and most principledly Christian in their beliefs, but believe personally, as a relationship between them and God; and there are those who feel the need to wave their cross, put up billboards and posters of how great God is and put up bumper stickers on how Jesus saves you. I appreciate that they are happy and so filled with enthusiasm that they just cant help sharing, but the message they send out is that, in any case, you can forget about them being eager or ready to listen to alternatives, to other people's perspectives.

Isnt Pride one of the deadly sins?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:01 am
Yes, certainly. Excessive flag-waving is a mark of totalitarian regimes, banana republics, and.....well like I said before, it can be construed as a mark of immaturity and uncertainty, as well as many other things. Some of them doubtless more worthwhile, I don't wish to be rude.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:08 am
The flag of one's nation can be a potent symbol. But anything that is potent should be used sparingly (cf. whisky, etc.). With the flag, I believe, there is a point of diminishing returns. Seen on special occasions, waving proudly, the banner can have a positive effect on a patriotically-minded person. Seen in huge clusters, daily, it becomes meaningless. It loses its specialness. It's just a rag that you see on every street corner. Meaningless. Keep 'er flying appropriately.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:18 am
I do not like group spectacles of any kind. I even am a bit annoyed about people rooting for "THEIR" home team, as if some of the greatness of the players are a reflection on them. The last time that I got caught up in that stuff was when the Brooklyn Dodgers played the New York Yankees in the "subway series" in 1955. (The Dodgers won!)
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:28 am
Interesting - I'll be back!

KP
0 Replies