Global Warming vs. Terrorism

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
BernardR wrote:

A real hysteric, Ehrlich did not know that not only would population slow much more dramatically than he dreamed but that the GREEN REVOLUTION in which more crops, sturdier crops. more nourishing crops and crops that were able to be harvested more than once a year would cut famine down to nothing.

Sure, and all the chemical fertilizers are seeping into our rivers, causing overgrowth of plants and killing fish. We are producing strange, genetically engineered plants, of which the bush administation approves, while objecting to work on stem cells.

As long as Bernie/Massa has someone he can call names, he is happy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

BernardR wrote:

A real hysteric, Ehrlich did not know that not only would population slow much more dramatically than he dreamed but that the GREEN REVOLUTION in which more crops, sturdier crops. more nourishing crops and crops that were able to be harvested more than once a year would cut famine down to nothing.

Sure, and all the chemical fertilizers are seeping into our rivers, causing overgrowth of plants and killing fish. We are producing strange, genetically engineered plants, of which the bush administation approves, while objecting to work on stem cells.

0 Replies

plainoldme

BernardR wrote:

0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:40 pm
okie wrote:
You miss the whole point, Parados. Cafe standards is not going to reduce CO2 from the overall trend. The fallacy of your argument is as follows.

1. You assert that a severe problem exists, that unless fixed, will be catastrophic.
Your fallacy here. I don't assert it. The scientific community asserts it based on all the evidence. Do you have up to the date evidence to refute theirs? If so why don't you present that current evidence? You haven't. You argue the periphery.
Quote:

2. You propose solutions that are demonstrably inadequate to solve your catastrophic problem.
Again, not my fallacy but yours. I have never said that a single solution I have proposed would solve the problem. It is a problem that requires many little solutions that make up a cumulative effect.
Quote:

3. Your debate opponents, Bernard and I, assert that the solutions necessary to fix the problem as you outline it, will be draconian and hurt the economy.
A claim you have not provided one scientific piece of data on.
Quote:

4. You accuse us of accusing you of something you do not propose.
No, I accused you two of saying we were claiming the US would soon be destroyed. You built a strawman. You can't even get that simple fact right. When asked to provide evidence of us claiming YOUR strawman you have tried to claim we MUST have meant it even though we didn't say it. Complete false logic on your part okie.

You MUST have meant you want to kill 6 billion people because I can add 2 and 2. You recognize the false logic when I do EXACTLY what you did but not when you do it. You don't get to decide WHAT we meant that has NOTHING to do with what we said. Either deal with our statements or go *** yourself. I am sick of this jr high attitude but can't let your simplistic unscientific completely moronic statements stand. You have no basis in reality. Bernard is completely insane. Why do you want to join him?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:44 pm
parados wrote:

My debate opponents have posited that since you can't solve the problem completely we should ignore the problem. It is a false argument.

Its about solving the problem at all Parados. Your solutions don't amount to a hill of beans. If you are pouring hot coffee onto somebody, slowing the rate of growth of pouring more hot coffee by say 5% is not going to make any difference, not when the hot coffee is causing severe problems. Its akin to shooting somebody 30 times or 31 times. Advocating one less bullet is pretty futile. The victim still dies.

Quote:

I will ask again..

IF the energy costs double in 5 years will it destroy the economy? Yes or no?

It won't do it any good. Look, energy costs are going to rise regardless of your measures, and you may even be ready to quote statistics that they've doubled or more in the last 5 years. The important thing to know however is that our costs are not going up artificially because of severe artificial government intervention any faster than the free market dictates. If the free market dictates a rise, then we are playing on an even playing field with other players in the world, and our ability to compete in international trade is optimized. And alternative fuels that are the most efficient and economical while rise to the top, just as cream rises to the top. If however, we institute draconian measures, over and above what the normal market dictates, it will in fact damage our ability to compete in many different ways, and the economy will suffer.

Simple Economics 101, Parados.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 12:49 pm
BernardR wrote:
I use the same lightbulbs that you do, Username,but my son's brother in law who regulary travels to China says that anything we might do, IF global warming is a problem, is as nothing when compared to the Chinese industrial climate!!!

WOW!!!! This convoluted syntax is from the great lover of literature, particularly the classics. Apparently, all those classics have failed to make an impression!
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:01 pm
okie, two points: Bernard regularly defames China (totally anecdotally, as above), and as Parados and I have pointed out, China is indeed trying to deal with modernization, environmental degradation, pollution, and global warming. So the blanket condemnation I hear repeatedly is undeserved.

And second, the tree huggers were, and are, right. Hydroelectric power and energy strategies have consequences, often highly destructive to other aspects of life than the atmosphere.
A paradigmatic case is the Aswan High Dam in Egypt, built to supply their future electrical needs. It doesn't emit CO2, BUT on the other hand, it's messing up the Nile. For close to 10,000 years the Nile has been the lifeblood of Egypt. It's provided almost all its food. That's because every year in flood it brings down new soil and nutrients from the mountains and flushes organic salts from the cropland, so it remains steadily fertile and productive. With the dam in place, flushing doesn't happen because the amount of water and its force isn't sufficient. So the soil becomes steadily more saline, and less productive. With the river flow reduced, seawater steadily creeps farther up the delta at the Nile's mouth, making the water there more and more brackish, and the delta steadily less productive. Further, the dam is silting up, with the blocked soil from the mountains, and without continuous dredging, and probably with, its lifespan is limited.

Those are a sampling, not untypical, of some of the environmental, social, economic, and agricultural costs of hydro. The enviros nailed it. How you balance those off against climate change is an ongoing debate. BUT nothing comes free. Economists don't consider those kinds of things when they do cost-benefit analyses--looking beyond five years or ten at most is just too outre to them. But our kids are going to have to live with those costs. And the balances we create today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:04 pm
okie,

Thanks for proving you don't understand Jr High physics. If the time frame to overflow the cup is 10 minutes, reducing the rate by a total 5% give you an extra 30 seconds. Reduce the rate by a mere 2% per minute and you add another 1 1/2 minutes before it overflows. Reduce it by 5% per minute and you get an extra 5 minutes. 50% more time by reducing 5% per time unit when your time frame is 10 units. Now go do the math for a 2% reduction per time unit with a 100 time unit window. Then a 200 time unit window. A 1% reduction per year adds up when you are talking a longer time frame.

You might want to try Economics 201 sometime. It might get you past the simple ideas you have. What is the REAL cost of gasoline in treasure and lives? The market is never without government interference.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 01:10 pm
Okie's analogies are the most infantile things I have read in a long time.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 02:18 pm
okie wrote:
Parados, obviously you have never advocated destroying the economy. Let us say "4" is equivalent to destroying the economy. I think Bernard's argument is that kuvasz has not advocated "4," but he has advocated 2 + 2, which Bernard adds up to get "4." Kuvasz argues that it does not add up to 4. Perhaps we could rephrase the equation to "x + y," whereas Bernard interprets the x and the y to be the draconian economic and technical policies that add up to 4, while kuvasz do not see x and y as affecting the economy at all.

Well, how interesting. Once again words have been attributed to me that I did not make for the sake of yet more strawman arguments from the Luddites on A2K to savage. Nowhere have I advocated any such equation or presented arguments that would distill down to such plain addition or numeration. All I have stated, and repeatedly was that global warming is real, that it is anthropogenic and that temperatures will rise with increasing concentrations in the atmosphere of CO2.

Others have taken my defense of the theory of GW, the data that predicts it, and the rejection, based upon sound scientific principles of all the far Right Wing attempts to debunk the data and theory as a call for draconian economic measures. Nowhere have I spoken of a detailed plan of action to slow and stop GW. Others have fashioned from straw their own interpretation of my unspoken opinions on how best to slow and reverse the destructive potential of GW for the planet and human civilization.

And they are wrong.

Try as I might I have invited repeatedly those deceitful slanderers to stand and deliver any remarks from me and Parados to support their accusations. They have avoided answering my request like witches avoid water.

Recently, it has been said that their emphatic remarks stating that Parados and I wish to destroy the US economy should not be taken literally. But what sane men would state that another calls for the destruction of the US economy and then argue that such words should not be taken literally?

For when in the fundamental Aristotlian logic equation, (A) does not equal (A), there is no value in discussing what 2+2 equals or the value of z with such corrupted mentalities

That no Luddite has the emotional capacity to admit that they can be in error of their adversary is prima fascia evidence and a true reflection upon their ideologically dogmatic mentality. If normal logic systems do not apply to them there is no reason to engage such idiots in meaningful dialog.

Being idiots, surely they will argue with a senior fellow at the right-leaning Hoover Institution who has served as chief economist at the World Bank and is a Nobel Prize winning economist as well.

http://josephstiglitz.com/

Joseph Stiglitz proposes practical solutions to global warming issues. Stiglitz sees the Kyoto Protocol as positive but recognizes

1. that the world's biggest polluter (the US) has not agreed to join it.

2. that developing countries, which will shortly be contributing 50% of all emissions, are left without firm commitments to do anything under it.

While Kyoto requires that countries bring emissions back to 1990 levels, developing countries complain, with some justice, that their energy consumption was low then relative to developed countries so the cutback requirement is unfair. Stiglitz's approach is to provide an enforcement mechanism.

Instead of revising the Kyoto Protocol, or calling for a new treaty, Stiglitz argues that other nations should use a well-established existing international agreement -- the World Trade Organization -- to pressure the U.S. to change its ways.

Quote:
In most of the developed countries of the world today, firms are paying the cost of pollution to the global environment, in the form of taxes imposed on coal, oil, and gas. but American firms are being subsidized--and massively so. There is a simple remedy: other countries should prohibit the important of American goods produce using energy intensive technologies, or, at the very least, impose a high tax on them, to offset the subsidy that those goods are currently receiving.

Stiglitz points out that the United States, a big backer of the WTO, has already recognized its right to regulate for environmental reasons, because the U.S. refused to allow importation of Thai shrimp caught in "turtle-unfriendly" nets.

He does admit that this policy might not be popular with everyone:

Quote:
Of course, the Bush Administration and the oil companies to which it is beholden will be upset. They may even suggest that this is the beginning of a global trade war. It is not. It is simply pointing out the obvious: American firms have long had an unfair trade advantage because of their cheap energy, but while they get the benefit, the world is paying the price through global warming. This situation is, or at least should be, totally unacceptable. Energy tariffs would simply restore balance--and at the same time provide strong incentives for the United States to do what it should have been doing all along.

Here is another snippet from Stiglitz's proposal:

Quote:

http://www.envirovaluation.org/index.php?title=the_economists_voice_via_berkeley_electr&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Quote:
If the United States could go its own merry way-keeping the carbon dioxide it emits over its own territory, warming up its own atmosphere, bearing itself whatever costs (including hurricanes) that result, would be one thing. But that is not so. The energy profligate lifestyle of the United States inflicts global damage immensely greater than any war it might wage. The Maldives will within 50 years be our own 21st century Atlantis, disappearing beneath the ocean; a third of Bangladesh will be submerged, and with that country's poor people crowded closer altogether, incomes already close to subsistence level will be further submerged.

Stiglitz points out that the United States refusal to reduce its carbon emissions is like a subsidy to itself at the expense of other countries of the world. He proposes that a world wide carbon tax be imposed on carbon emissions. Under his plan, everyone in the world would be required to pay the social cost of emissions. Furthermore, such a tax would be high enough so that emissions reduction would meet its required targets.

Quote:

Stiglitz also has ideas on how to bring developing nations into line, but he begins with the biggest problem: the United States. Some might not like the regulatory thrust of his plan, but a carbon tax, which it implies, is hardly a new or radical proposal. After all it was proposed eight years ago by that radical Left Wing magazine, called the Economist
http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/7/17/152930/785

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/glotax/carbon/econmist.htm

http://www.env-econ.net/2006/07/stiglitzs_presc.html

FYI to counter the marginally sane fetish about Lomborg and his implied infallibilities via-a-vis GW.

Quote:
The Cost of Doing Nothing

(Australian Financial Review)

11 April 2002

Experienced debaters rarely commit themselves to an unambiguously false statement. So I was surprised to read Bjorn Lomborg's claim that 'the results of all major cost-benefit analyses show that doing Kyoto or something even grander is simply a bad investment for the world'. There are plenty of examples to prove him wrong.

Among the many economists whose work supports Kyoto is Jeffrey Frankel, a member of the Council of Economic Advisors under President Clinton. Frankel is cited by Lomborg for his work on economic growth, but his work on climate change is ignored. According to the modelling reported by Frankel, the costs of Kyoto would be about 0.1 per cent of GDP for developed countries. This is far below the range of $150 billion to $350 billion (0.6 to 1.5 per cent of GDP) cited by Lomborg.

Frankel is not alone. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change cites a range of model estimates of the costs of implementing Kyoto using market mechanisms. They show that, with a global system of emission rights trading, the cost of implementing Kyoto would range from 0.1 per cent to 0.2 per cent of GDP.

Lomborg dismisses global emissions trading as politically infeasible because it would involve the redistribution of billions of dollars to developing countries (page 305). But then he turns around (page 318) and attacks alternative ways of implementing Kyoto by suggesting that the billions required could be better spent - by redistributing them to developing countries.

To put the cost estimates in context, 0.1 per cent of Australian GDP is about $600 million per year. The economic benefits generated by the Great Barrier Reef alone are more than this, but, like reefs around the world, it is already being affected by bleaching arising from rising water temperatures. Interestingly, Lomborg (page 4) promises to refute the claim that 'coral reefs are dying', but this issue is not mentioned in the chapter on global warming or, as far as I can see, anywhere else in the book.

Other economists argue that the benefits of doing 'something even grander' will exceed the costs. A recent paper entitled Climate Change:An Agenda for Global Collective Action, proposes a modified version of Kyoto which could achieve greater reductions in emissions while overcoming some political objections. One of the authors is Joseph Stiglitz, winner of the 2001 Nobel prize. Other notable supporters of action to mitigate global warming include Kenneth Arrow, William Cline and Paul Krugman. Lomborg gives 16 references to his preferred expert, William Nordhaus, but omits all these eminent economists.

Lomborg's estimates of the costs of mitigation are too high. However, the real problems in his book relate to the costs of doing little or nothing, as he proposes.

Because the costs of doing nothing arise in the future, the weight that is placed on those costs depends critically on the rate of discount that is adopted. The real after-tax rate of interest on government bonds over the last 100 years has generally been between 1 and 3 per cent, but Lomborg assumes the rate is 5 per cent. The effect is to reduce the value of costs incurred in 50 years time by a factor of around 10, effectively disregarding the interests of future generations.

The most important problem with Lomborg's work is easier to understand. Lomborg claims to be an environmentalist. But in 70 pages on global warming, he says nothing about its effects on natural ecosystems. The IPCC report lists a wide range of ecological impacts on species extinction, coral reefs, wetlands and so on, which, taken together, show that climate change is the biggest single ecological problem faced by the world. For developed countries, the ecological costs of climate change will far outweigh direct economic impacts.

Most economists who have looked at the ecological costs of climate change conclude that, while they are almost impossible to evaluate in monetary terms, they are sufficient to justify substantial action. Lomborg ignores them completely.

Nordhaus, on whom Lomborg relies for all his modelling results, makes an admittedly 'speculative' estimate of the costs of ecological damage. This estimate is absurdly low - $5 billion a year for the entire US, including the economic costs of rising sea levels.

Of course, if you define a problem out of existence, as Lomborg and Nordhaus do, the optimal response is to do nothing. Lomborg is free to believe the most optimistic estimates on every environmental issue, and the most pessimistic estimates of the cost of doing anything. But he shouldn't call himself 'skeptical' or an 'environmentalist.

http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/johnquiggin/news/Lomborg0204.html

Professor John Quiggin is a Senior Research Fellow of the Australian Research Council, based at the Australian National University and Queensland University of Technology.

The Economics of Climate Change: A Primer

bibliography

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=4171&sequence=7

THE COSTS OF INACTION WITH RESPECT TO CLIMATE CHANGE:

This paper has focused first on the overall benefits and costs of global warming abatement, and second, on quantifying the costs of delaying policy action. Read it all or skip to the conclusions.

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/37/2/34738373.pdf
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:01 pm
To reduce your mountain of obfuscation on this subject, the Kyoto protocol aims for reducing by 2008 or 2012 or some such date, a reduction of a whopping 5% from the emission levels of 1990. These targets will probably not be met, and the nations exempted will more than make up for the reduction even if it happened.

It is clear and it is obvious, kuvasz, if the problem is as severe as you and Parados believe, any political action that would affect the trend in any significant way simply is not realistic. Any action that would affect it significantly, if proposed, would be more than draconian, it would be catastrophic.

Kyoto and other proposals surrounding this issue are obviously nothing more than window dressing, feel good proposals, and political agendas directed at certain nations, as the U.S. Much like LBJ's Great Society. We threw money at the problem, we did something, even if the problem is made worse, but we all went home feeling good about our conscience.

Conclusion, your understanding of the problem is nothing more than scientific speculation based on computer modeling using plugged in factors of unproven validity, and your solutions are worthless.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:10 pm
parados wrote:
okie,

Thanks for proving you don't understand Jr High physics. If the time frame to overflow the cup is 10 minutes, reducing the rate by a total 5% give you an extra 30 seconds. Reduce the rate by a mere 2% per minute and you add another 1 1/2 minutes before it overflows. Reduce it by 5% per minute and you get an extra 5 minutes. 50% more time by reducing 5% per time unit when your time frame is 10 units. Now go do the math for a 2% reduction per time unit with a 100 time unit window. Then a 200 time unit window. A 1% reduction per year adds up when you are talking a longer time frame.

You might want to try Economics 201 sometime. It might get you past the simple ideas you have. What is the REAL cost of gasoline in treasure and lives? The market is never without government interference.

That was a classic post, Parados, thanks for the humor. Drinking 95% of a cup of poison instead of 100% of it so that we die in 3 hours 21 minutes and 3 seconds instead of 3 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds sounds like a waste of time to me, Parados. If you really believe the stuff is poison, you need to quit drinking it period. You need a whole lot more than Kyoto or some such thing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:11 pm
The only thing that is clear and obvious okie is you can't cite anything to back up your arguments. You make statements because you think they sound nice. Have you bothered to check the proposed CO2 emissions from the 3rd world countries? Have you checked to see what the estimate is in the computer models? I doubt you have because you wouldn't make your statements if you had.

Lets just declare the models are innaccurate without showing why they are. Then lets declare any measures would be draconian without ANY EVIDENCE at all.

What models show that the measures would be draconian okie? Provide us with your figures. What is the proposed CO2 emissions from the 3rd world countries? Lets look at the actual figures. Stop with the partisan ramblings and present some facts.

We have already seen that China is reducing their emissions from what was expected in spite of your and Bernard's argument that they are increasing them dramatically. So do you have any evidence to back up your claim? What numbers are you using? Cite them. Lets look at the science.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:18 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
okie,

That was a classic post, Parados, thanks for the humor. Drinking 95% of a cup of poison instead of 100% of it so that we die in 3 hours 21 minutes and 3 seconds instead of 3 hours, 20 minutes and 45 seconds sounds like a waste of time to me, Parados. If you really believe the stuff is poison, you need to quit drinking it period. You need a whole lot more than Kyoto or some such thing.

CO2 isn't poison okie. It won't kill us by itself. I suggest you go read up on the carbon cycle. I see you didn't bother to do the math. The time frame for global warming catastrophe is not 3 hours. It is a cumulative effect over that time frame. By reducing the accumulation you can ameliorate it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:26 pm
parados wrote:

What models show that the measures would be draconian okie? Provide us with your figures. What is the proposed CO2 emissions from the 3rd world countries? Lets look at the actual figures. Stop with the partisan ramblings and present some facts.

The measures proposed don't significantly affect the scenario, Parados. How many times does it take to repeat that fact? Any action that might be proposed that would significantly affect the scenario would most assuredly have to be more than draconian.

The pundits claim we are at the tipping point, with an eminent threat of billions dying, yet their solution does not amount to a hill of beans. What should be obvious from this is that A - They don't really believe their own prediction, and B - its all smoke and mirrors and they know it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:31 pm
parados wrote:

CO2 isn't poison okie. It won't kill us by itself. I suggest you go read up on the carbon cycle. I see you didn't bother to do the math. The time frame for global warming catastrophe is not 3 hours. It is a cumulative effect over that time frame. By reducing the accumulation you can ameliorate it.

Obviously, I don't believe the doomsdayers. I've read all the stuff, the reasoning. We've been through that already. I don't buy it. I think we are in at least in part a natural cycle of climate. The earth has experienced it before and climatic change is nothing surprising. I also think we may be underestimating the impact of solar cycles, plus the impact of cloud cover, water vapor, ocean currents, and a whole host of factors that are poorly understood.

I don't think we are drinking poison. You are the ones that think we are. I am simply pointing out that if you believe your own assertion, your solutions are inadequate, and if they were adequate, they would be draconian and catastrophic, economically.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 09:41 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

The measures proposed don't significantly affect the scenario, Parados. How many times does it take to repeat that fact? Any action that might be proposed that would significantly affect the scenario would most assuredly have to be more than draconian.

The pundits claim we are at the tipping point, with an eminent threat of billions dying, yet their solution does not amount to a hill of beans. What should be obvious from this is that A - They don't really believe their own prediction, and B - its all smoke and mirrors and they know it.

Really? Where are your numbers? You keep stating it doesn't affect the scenario? Which scenario doesn't it affect? The one you claim is not realistic?

Provide your numbers to be checked. What is the proposed output for China in 2015? (They expect to be down 19% in overall CO2 from now http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssues/GlobalWarming/Articles/ChinaCuts.asp) Where is the the increase coming from okie? Provide a citation. The only smoke and mirrors I am seeing are your claims okie with nothing to back them up.

Who is claiming billions are going to die eminently? Citation? Or is it another one of your strawmen? I am guessing it is another strawman. I bet you can't find science that says billions will die eminently.

I am only seeing more partisan rambling from you okie. Claims with no science to back them up. Strawmen to back up your previous strawmen.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:21 pm
I don't know why I've allowed myself to argue the same stuff over and over. As the saying goes, when you argue with stupidity, you start to sound stupid. I am not calling you stupid. I am labeling your argument stupid, and by repeating my arguments over and over, I am beginning to sound stupid.

Bottom line, the Senate voted down Kyoto 95-0, clearly showing the best analysis by all of our elected senators concluded that such measures as you advocate, Parados, are neither fair or effective. In other words, after even liberals pay lip service, they voted against it because it does not amount to a hill of beans in accomplishing anything, and what it does do is unfairly apply to different nations, and if it was not thought to be quite damaging economically, the senators would have likely voted for it. anyway. And they did not. If your arguments are so great, go convince your congressmen. If you live in Connecticut, you can probably convince lonesome Ned to vote for it if he makes it in, which he probably will not.

I hardly think your example of China doing great things is even worthy of debate. You want to cite numbers, when the numbers don't show anything great. I would be glad to argue numbers, but the conclusion is obvious if Kyoto hopes at its very best to reduce CO2 by a measly 5%.

Go peddle your papers somewhere else, Parados, this is a waste of time.

One last note, I am in favor of good alternate energy that would reduce CO2. I have been in favor of nuclear since day 1, and your tree hugger friends shut it down. I am in favor of hydroeclectric, and same story. I am in favor of wind. Your friend, Ted, will not allow them where he lives. I am in favor of anything economical, sound, and competitive. I am not in favor of wasting billions on costly alternatives that have never proven themselves in the market. Where is your beloved solution, in CAFE standards? HA HA HA.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:39 pm
Parados wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that is clear and obvious okie is you can't cite anything to back up your arguments. You make statements because you think they sound nice. Have you bothered to check the proposed CO2 emissions from the 3rd world countries? Have you checked to see what the estimate is in the computer models? I doubt you have because you wouldn't make your statements if you had.

I expect the so called Expert to provide the information about proposed Co2 emissions from 3rd world countries.

I know they will not be good. Does the expert Parados know that the reason the Senate voted 95-0 against the ratification of the Kyoto Protocol was PRECISELY BECAUSE THE DEVELOPING NATIONS--CHINA AND INDIA AMONG THEM WOULD NOT BE REDUCING THIER EMISSIONS?

Why don't you tell us what the estimates are in the computer models-Parados? I have asked you fourteen times to give us the estimates. Why don't you do so? You are the expert? Is it because you know that the IPCC has provided forty( 40) scenarios? At least Nostradamus only gave us two or three for each event.

Now, take this article and respond to it--point by point--or admit you know very little about Global Warming and get lost!!!

Greenhouse Hypocrisy

By Robert J. Samuelson

Wednesday, June 29, 2005; Page A21

Almost a decade ago I suggested that global warming would become a "gushing" source of political hypocrisy. So it has. Politicians and scientists constantly warn of the grim outlook, and the subject is on the agenda of the upcoming Group of Eight summit of world economic leaders. But all this sound and fury is mainly exhibitionism -- politicians pretending they're saving the planet. The truth is that, barring major technological advances, they can't (and won't) do much about global warming. It would be nice if they admitted that, though this seems unlikely.

Europe is the citadel of hypocrisy. Considering Europeans' contempt for the United States and George Bush for not embracing the Kyoto Protocol, you'd expect that they would have made major reductions in greenhouse gas emissions -- the purpose of Kyoto. Well, not exactly. From 1990 (Kyoto's base year for measuring changes) to 2002, global emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the main greenhouse gas, increased 16.4 percent, reports the International Energy Agency. The U.S. increase was 16.7 percent, and most of Europe hasn't done much better.

Here are some IEA estimates of the increases: France, 6.9 percent; Italy, 8.3 percent; Greece, 28.2 percent; Ireland, 40.3 percent; the Netherlands, 13.2 percent; Portugal, 59 percent; Spain, 46.9 percent. It's true that Germany (down 13.3 percent) and Britain (a 5.5 percent decline) have made big reductions. But their cuts had nothing to do with Kyoto. After reunification in 1990, Germany closed many inefficient coal-fired plants in eastern Germany; that was a huge one-time saving. In Britain, the government had earlier decided to shift electric utilities from coal (high CO2 emissions) to plentiful natural gas (lower CO2 emissions).

On their present courses, many European countries will miss their Kyoto targets for 2008-2012. To reduce emissions significantly, Europeans would have to suppress driving and electricity use; that would depress economic growth and fan popular discontent. It won't happen. Political leaders everywhere deplore global warming -- and then do little. Except for Eastern European nations, where dirty factories have been shuttered, few countries have cut emissions. Since 1990 Canada's emissions are up 23.6 percent; Japan's, 18.9 percent.

We are seeing similar exhibitionism in the United States. The U.S. Conference of Mayors recently endorsed Kyoto. California and New Mexico have adopted "targets" for emission cuts, reports the Pew Center on Global Climate Change. All this busywork won't much affect global warming, but who cares? The real purpose is for politicians to brandish their environmental credentials. Even if rich countries actually curbed their emissions, it wouldn't matter much. Poor countries would offset the reductions.

"We expect CO2 emissions growth in China between now and 2030 will equal the growth of the United States, Canada, all of Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Korea combined," says Fatih Birol, the IEA's chief economist. In India, he says, about 500 million people lack electricity; worldwide, the figure is 1.6 billion. Naturally, poor countries haven't signed Kyoto; they won't sacrifice economic gains -- poverty reduction, bigger middle classes -- to combat global warming. By 2030, the IEA predicts, world energy demand and greenhouse gases will increase by roughly 60 percent; poor countries will account for about two-thirds of the growth. China's coal use is projected almost to double; its vehicle fleet could go from 24 million to 130 million.

Like most forecasts, these won't come true. But unless they're wildly unreliable, they demonstrate that greenhouse emissions will still rise. Facing this prospect, we ought to align rhetoric and reality.

First, we should tackle some energy problems. We need to reduce our use of oil, which increasingly comes from unstable or hostile regions (the Middle East, Russia, Central Asia, Africa). This is mainly a security issue, though it would modestly limit greenhouse gases. What should we do? Even with today's high gasoline prices, we ought to adopt a stiff oil tax and tougher fuel economy standards, both to be introduced gradually. We can shift toward smaller vehicles, with more efficient hybrid engines. Unfortunately, Congress's energy bills lack these measures.

Second, we should acknowledge that global warming is an iffy proposition. Yes, it's happening; but, no, we don't know the consequences -- how much warming will occur, what the effects (good or bad) will be or where. If we can't predict the stock market and next year's weather, why does anyone think we can predict the global climate in 75 years? Global warming is not an automatic doomsday. In some regions, warmer weather may be a boon.

Third, we should recognize that improved technology is the only practical way of curbing greenhouse gases. About 80 percent of CO2 emissions originate outside the transportation sector -- from power generation and from fuels for industrial, commercial and residential use. Any technology solution would probably involve some acceptable form of nuclear power or an economic way of removing CO2 from burned fossil fuels. "Renewable" energy (wind, solar, biomass) won't suffice. Without technology gains, adapting to global warming makes more sense than trying to prevent it. Either way, the Bush administration rightly emphasizes research and development.

What we have now is a respectable charade. Politicians and advocates make speeches, convene conferences and formulate plans. They pose as warriors against global warming. The media participate in the resulting deception by treating their gestures seriously. One danger is that some of these measures will harm the economy without producing significant environmental benefits. Policies motivated by political gain will inflict public pain. Why should anyone applaud?

Maybe if we nuke China and India they will fall into line, but then we will have to deal with nuclear fall-out, wont we?

The Global Warming Alarmists live in cloud-coo-coo land!!!!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 10:48 pm
The brilliant Irving Kristol has given us the answer. An answer which perfectly categorizes both Mr. Kuvasz and Mr> Parados.

from "Neoconservatism" by Irving Kristol--P. 97

"But it turns out that your zealous environmentalists do not want to be shown anything of the sort( that economic analysis can show them different ways with different costs and benefits of getting varying degrees of clean air or clean water) They are NOT really interested in clean air or clean water at all. What does interest them is modern industrial society and modern technological civilization, toward which they have profound hostile sentiments. When they protest the" quality of life " in this society and this civilization, they are protesting against nothing so trivial as air or water pollution, Rather they are at bottom rejecting a liberal civilization which is given shape through the interaction of a countless sum of individual preferences. Since they do not LIKE the shpe of that civilization, they are moved to challenge--however indirectly or slyly--the process that produces this shape. What environmentalists want is very simple. They want to create an "environment" which pleases them, and this "environment" will be a societiy where the rulers will not want to "think economically" and the ruled will not be permitted to do so."

end of quote
0 Replies