Global Warming vs. Terrorism

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:20 am
Re: Global Warming vs. Terrorism
1) Which would you support in response to the threat of terrorism if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

a) Gun control laws - no
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties - no
c) Tougher regulation on businesses - no
d) Expanded presidential powers - no
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources - no

2) Which would you support in response to the threat of global climate change if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

a) Gun control laws - no
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties - no
c) Tougher regulation on businesses - no
d) Expanded presidential powers - no
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources no

3) Lastly, which is the greater threat to the world and our nation: global climate change, or terrorism? terrorism

Many of those things fly in the face of what makes this country great. Our freedom gives us a voice. Government checks and balances gives us protection and a voice in our government. Our free market gives us a say in our economy and has kept us at the top of the game for innovation, production, and leaders in the world economy. I think that supporting any of those things takes away from what this country is meant to be.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:46 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I can always count on Finn. (I mean that as a compliment.)

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
For all you tree-huggers who would argue otherwise, think on this: The ultimate terrorist attack involves WMDs - nuclear, chemical, or biological. Is it simply a matter of time?

Is it? Is the threat from terrorism or is the threat from weapons of mass destruction? Let's say that terrorists did attack a US city with WMD. Then what? A global war with us retaliating against any country that could have provided them with the WMD. That seems to me to be the same threat as in the cold war, which is just the threat of the existence of weapons with the capability to destroy human life on the planet.

First of all, we should not sneeze at the ecological impact of a terrorist WMD attack (irrespective of the response it engenders). That tree-huggers should not goes without saying since they are wont to warn us that the extinction of a species of tiny fish (snail darter) is an ecological tragedy. Of course the average tree-hugger tends to fall prey to the same arrogance of those who they attack - namely the belief that mankind is somehow removed from earth's ecological system. In other words, there are, undoubtedly, any number of tree-huggers who would not find the release of the small pox virus an ecological disaster, and some who would not consider it a disaster at all.

Presumably the extinction of any species is, to a tree-hugger, a tragedy, even if that species is homo sapien. Now of course without the mad monkey-boys we like to call humans, Mother Gaia may find it possible to return to a state of ecological perfection, but is it really OK for humans to die out while it ain't OK for snail darters to meet such an end?

Quote:
Global climate change has happened before and the world (clearly) and mankind has survived.

And mankind would also survive terrorist attacks.

Probably, but perhaps not. Humanity is not immune to extinction. Gradual climatological changes pose no threat of human extinction. Terrorist attacks do not pose a significant threat of extinction, but it is far more likely that the deliberate release of a super-virus will result in the end of homo sapiens, than will the rise of the ocean by 20 to 50 feet. Bye bye seaport cities everywhere, but mankind will do just fine in the Heartland, the Steppes and within the rainforests.

Quote:
True to form, we will not react to a situation until it becomes a crisis, but it is highly unlikely that there will be sudden effects of global climate change that will not meet a tardy but, essentially, effective human response.

Well, here's the thing. I admit my ignorance as to what the full array of possibilities are, but it seems plausible that we could reach a point of no return. A point where the ice caps have melted to such an extent that suddenly cutting emissions is useless.

Geologically speaking there is really no such thing as a "point of no return." The Sahara Desert region was once a paradise. Tectonic plates shifted, mountain ranges rose and a desert was born. Tectonic plates continue to shift and no mountain range is eternal. Someday the Sahara may again be Eden.

Let's, for argument sake, assume that "global warming" will result in a significant rise in the level of our oceans.

First of all, it would be ridiculous to assume that such a change was permanent. It's unlikely that humans could within the next 50 years reverse such a geological shift, but it is not beyond the realm of reason to imagine that 100 years from now our scientific and technological advancements might find us in a position where we could manipulate our ecology. Have you read anything about the upcoming Singularity?

Even if mankind could never reverse the rise in oceanic levels, and the earth chose never to do so, mankind could very happily survive, and in close keeping with current cultural manifestations.

All that seaport cities hold for humanity (and this is quite a lot) can be moved to dry land within a mere handful of years. The effects of "global warming" are not going to come upon us in a matter of weeks or months.Should it be inevitable that New York will fall below the sea, we will have years to react.

On the other hand, should a Mad Mullah detonate a nuclear device within the heart of NYC, the cultural losses (not to mention the losses of life) will be irretrievable.

Quote:
Terrorism in its ultimate extreme has the potential for ridding us of our concerns about global climate change (If we believe such changes are human induced).

And vice versa, I'm afraid.

No, not at all. The most pessimistic (yet rational) assessment of the impact of global warming does not encompass immediate world-wide catastrophes. The Day After Tomorrow is a fantasy, and even in this fantasy America, not to mention mankind, endures.

This is not to argue that terrorism will result in The End of Days, but taken to its extreme it is far more likely to set off a chain reaction of destabilizing events than anything global warming can toss at us.

Quote:
Terrorism, rather than global climate change has the potential for retrogressing, or destroying human civilization. The New Caliphate will almost certainly impose reactionary forces upon our civilization and thus give, at least some breathing room to Gaia.

Within the next twenty years, which is more likely to cause your death or the deaths of your loved ones: Terrorism or global climate change.

I don't know that answer. Has anyone ever measured the probability of either? If I lived in New Orleans or on the island of Tuvalu, I might think the latter is more likely. If I lived in NY city or Israel, I might believe it's the former. Even though we call terrorism a global problem (which it is in as much as violence is a globally human problem), the threat is largely localized.

And so is the threat of global warming. Global warming is not going to result in the transformation of every square mile on earth to desert.

It is simply ignorant to uncategorical associate increased hurricane activity with human induced global warming. Hurricane activity is cyclical. With or without humans scurrying around the planet, hurricane activity will ebb and flow.

This is not, at all, to say that global warming doesn't present a threat to our way of life. Whether or not it is being caused by humans or is a natural circumstance, it will result in circumstance that will impact our civilization.

It is a simple fact, however, that the problem which one can see coming is easier to deal with than the one that surprises one in an instant.

If terrorism is a crime, it seems ludicrous to think that crime will destroy human civilization. If it is an act of war, it defies recent history to believe that war will destroy human civilization (on a global scale, anyway, it's pretty effective at the local level). However, major changes to our life support system, the very thing that makes life possible, could do the trick IMO.

What does it matter whether we label the release of a virulent strain of ebola or the detonation of a nuclear bomb in Piccadilly Square a crime or war?

The issue is the scale of destruction possible through an act of terrorism.

From a relative standpoint, 9/11 was not that much of a human catastrophe. Less than 3,000 people perished. A horrific event, yes, but moderate (if not minor) in comparison to other human catastrophes. Look what ensued from 9/11: Short term a tremendous blow to the American economy, the economy that is the core of the world's economy. Longer term the militarization of the world's lone Super Power.

Imagine a nuclear device being detonated in Times Square.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions of people will die.

Irreplaceable cultural treasures will be vaporized.

The American, and the world economy will tank.

America will certainly respond with warfare, and quite possibly nuclear warfare.

Compare this to a reality where the government tells New York City it has ten years to move to higher ground.

Neither possibility is something to hope for, but it is clear that one (terrorism) rather than the other (global warming) presents a greater threat to America and human civilization.

This is not to say that attention to one precludes attention to the other. This posting has created the sort of false either or choice that is amusing to discuss, but not likely to trouble anyone in power.

Global Warming, as a threat to mankind is being hyped far beyond it's actual capability. The reasons for this are many, but the main ones are political. It has become something of a litmus test for people.

The direct actions of humans as opposed to the indirect effect of their actions present the far greater threat to our civilization.

0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:56 pm
Bravo, Mr. Finn. I know a good deal about the alleged global warming but you have put the matter to rest. I would like, however, to add one item--According to studies done on the future effects of global warming( assuming that the warming is as severe as the IPCC has said--a prediction which is in great peril of being drastically modified if not overturned--) it will be very costly to do nothing about global warming BUT IT WILL BE ALMOST AS COSTLY TO COPE WITH IT.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:52 am
BernardR wrote:

Besides, FreeDuck, I am sure you know that those who control the terms of an argument always win. Your questions were a set-up!

It's true that my questions were a setup. The only one that really interests me is third one. The first two were born out of something I noticed in other threads, where some people seemed to be willing to toss civil liberties out the window in order to fight terrorism, but were not willing to take any measures at all to mitigate the effects of global climate change or in the case of their pet liberties (2nd ammendment) to limit them for any cause.

Some people were still able to give me what I was looking for though. Without pointing out whether or not I'm an expert on the environment.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:01 am
Finn, thank you for taking the time for that response. There are many things there that I would like to respond to or ask about when I have more time, but for now, is it safe to say that it's the surprise factor, the inability to see it coming, that makes terrorism the greater threat in your opinion?

JP, thanks for your response. I think you and I see things in a similar light.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:28 am
One more thing Finn. Is this the singularity you speak of? If so, that's very interesting and I'm reading about it now.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:35 am
Finn- I am also curious about your reference to the upcoming singularity. Perhaps I have not kept up but my only reference on singularity is to the "singularity"which allegedly began the "Big Bang". Can you give us more information. It sounds quite interesting.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:45 am
I'd just like to point out that Global Warming may end up fueling terrorism.

If the Global Warming continues, the climate in Africa and developing countries will get drier. Monsoons will fail in countries dependent on it. Agriculture will fail, poverty increases etc. etc.

Terrorism will be able to recruit more disaffected, disillusioned people to attack the West.

On the other hand, terrorism could indirectly increase global warming should we decide to launch another military-scale war against it.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
Mr. O'Donnell- That's a fascinating thesis. Do you have any evidence to show it is correct? In 1975, it was predicted that the world would cool and we would go into another Ice Age? Would that have also fostered Terrorism. Surely, you are aware that temperature changes are not always deleterious. In the Medieval Warm Period, the Vikings were able to farm Greenland and Iceland and the English grew grapes that rivaled French production.

I respectfully suggest that you read up on the alleged global warming!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:00 am
Why have you reduced these issues to the level of a WWF smack down?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
Quote:
I have the following questions.

1) Which would you support in response to the threat of terrorism if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

yes a) Gun control laws.
depends on the extent b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
yes c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
no d) Expanded presidential powers.
depends on the extent e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

2) Which would you support in response to the threat of global climate change if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

yes (tho how it'd help's a mystery to me) a) Gun control laws.
depends on the extent b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
yes c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
no d) Expanded presidential powers.
depends on the extent e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

I agree with Finn in how he said, I think, that the answers will depend more on one's feelings about each of the respective steps in general, than about the issue at hand.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
Quote:
3) Lastly, which is the greater threat to the world and our nation: global climate change, or terrorism?

Climate change.

Even the worst terrorist attack has killed far less than 10,000 people. Any single major natural disaster wipes out more people than that, so if climate change'll even cause a couple more of those a year, the balance is already out of whack.

Not to want to seem heartless, but:
9/11 2001: 3,000 dead
2004 tsunami: 230,000 dead.

Hell, state terror has historically proven a far greater threat to human life than terrorist groups, causing an incomparable larger scope of death. Judging on history, its dictators we should keep an eye on as much (at least as much) as rogue terrorist groups. I wouldnt be surprised if it turns out that in North Korea, 3,000 people a year die at the hands of the regime every year - if not a multiple of that.

Even if a terrorist group gets its hands on the tools to make a WMD, it's unlikely that they'll be able to recreate anything like the sophisticated stuff governments have at hand. Look at the kind of bombs they've used so far (in London and Madrid, for example) for an indication of the level of sophistication to expect. And again, judging on history, from Hiroshima to Saddam's gassing of the Kurds (those are meant as contrasting, not comparable examples), chances of one or the other state government using WMD are larger, and more likely to exert far worse effects.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:23 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I'd just like to point out that Global Warming may end up fueling terrorism.

If the Global Warming continues, the climate in Africa and developing countries will get drier. Monsoons will fail in countries dependent on it. Agriculture will fail, poverty increases etc. etc.

Good point, though theres another side to it as well. I'm no expert on this, but I'd understood that the Sahel is actually getting greener, that larger areas there are becoming cultivable every few years. Climate change will upset the balance of power in many ways, but not necessarily purely to the advantage of the West or the disadvantage of the South. Take the Netherlands for example...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:11 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I have the following questions.

a) Gun control laws.
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
d) Expanded presidential powers.
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

a) Gun control laws.
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
d) Expanded presidential powers.
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

None of the above in either case. What the government deems effective does not make a difference to what I would support. I support what I deem effective.

FreeDuck wrote:
3) Lastly, which is the greater threat to the world and our nation: global climate change, or terrorism?

Probably global climate change. But the important point for me is that they are both overhyped threats, and none of them merits invasions into our liberties to fight them off.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm
nimh wrote:

Not to want to seem a smartass, but: What did the 2004 tsunami have to do with global warming? It was caused by an earthquake.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 02:04 pm
Thomas wrote:
nimh wrote:

Not to want to seem a smartass, but: What did the 2004 tsunami have to do with global warming? It was caused by an earthquake.

Nothing.

Why, did I say it did?

Perhaps read the paragraph above that again. Note the two points I made:

1. Even the worst terrorist attack killed only a fraction of the deaths that any major natural disaster wrecks.

2. Ergo, even if climate change would cause a couple of natural disasters extra - ever; forget the "a year" bit I added there - it would instantly whack out the balance.

The tsunami killed over 75 times as many people than 9/11. It's a perfect example of natural disasters posing a far greater threat to human life than terrorism.

Even if climate change will lead to just one extra disaster of that scope happening in the future, it'll already have made the Al-Qaeda threat (and the like) fade into insignificance, in terms of the cost in human life.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 02:38 pm
nimh wrote:
1. Even the worst terrorist attack killed only a fraction of the deaths that any major natural disaster wrecks.

Point taken, though I disagree with the any in the above quote. Katrina, and the Dutch 1953 North Sea flood (the type of catastrophy you would expect global warming to make more frequent) were major disasters, yet they were sub-9/11 in their death toll. (Same ballpark though.) Still, you compared the worst terrorist attack in recent history with the worst natural catastrophy in recent history, which seems reasonably fair on the face of it. But I believe that on a second look, it is not. See my argument below.

nimh wrote:
2. Ergo, even if climate change would cause a couple of natural disasters extra - ever; forget the "a year" bit I added there - it would instantly whack out the balance.

What irks me about this comparison is that not all natural disasters are created equal. Here's an exaggerated analogy to make my problem clear. Suppose that five years ago, a comet had hit Africa and wiped out its entire population. That's a natural disaster, and not an entirely implausible one. Something like it happened to Jupiter six years ago, and there's no reason it couldn't happen to Earth. Now suppose that collision actually had happened to Earth, and today somebody, in a discussion of global warming, offered this argument: "If global warming causes just one natural disaster like the comet impact, that already would bring the balance out of whack. 9/11: 3000 people dead. Comet hitting Africa: 700 million people dead."

In this hypothetical example, I am sure that you, too, would find the comparison absurd. You would find it absurd because a comet impact is one type of natural disaster, while hurricanes and rising sealevels are an entirely different category of natural disaster. The root cause is completely different. So the death toll of one is no meaningful proxy for the death toll of the other. I have the same problem, albeit in much milder form, when you use not comets but the Earth's seismic activity for comparison. It's not quite as extreme, but you are still comparing numbers that are meaningless to compare.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
test .. i cant seem to get my answer through..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
odd. that works. why not the real thing? lemme try it by part...

part 1

So you're saying that the tsunami was too great an exception, kinda like a comet on Africa would be, to be eligible for use in a comparison?

Ohkay.. perhaps these comparisons will do better, then:

Tropical Cyclone 05B (1999), killed around 10,000 people in the Orissa state of India
Vargas State Mudslides, Venezuela (December 1999) 10,000 to 50,000 dead or missing
Hurricane Mitch, Central America (October to November, 1998) 18,000 people killed
1991 Bangladesh cyclone, Bangladesh (April 29, 1991) 138,000 died
Nevado del Ruiz volcanic eruption, Armero, Colombia (November, 1985) 23,000-25,000 died.
Bhola cyclone in East Pakistan/Bangladesh, (November 13, 1970) 500,000 dead 100,000 missing
Ancash earthquake and landslide in north central Peru May 31, 1970 47,194-66,000 dead
1931 Huang He floods, China (August 1931) estimates between 850,000 and 4,000,000
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
part 2

Natural disasters - of all kinds of sorts, from cyclones to mudslides (which are both examples of disasters that variations of climate change might well cause two or three extra of) - have each killed a multiple of people than 9/11 did, at a myriad of times in the last century.

(Katrina didn't simply because it hit a relatively prosperous part of the world, which is - however ritchety the FEMA approach was - far more resistant to such onslaughts than Bangladesh or Colombia are. So if anything it proves that investing in robustness vs natural disaster - including the kind of disaster that climate change might wreck - is well worth it; at least as worth as counterterrorism investments are.)

The tsunami, as example of a natural disaster that poses a far greater threat to human life than any terrorist attack so far, aint at all as big an exception as you make it out to be, here. And again - climate change just needs to cause an extra two or three of any of the above to create far more hardship than any terrorist attack.
0 Replies