Global Warming vs. Terrorism

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
Weird. Dunno why that didnt go through in one..
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 04:15 pm
It's a difference in quality that counts. Where one is caused by something unthinking, primeordeal and utterly destructive natural phenomenon, the other is nothing less then murder. LArge scale murder.
In quantity there is no comparison, of course, and for the respective victims the fate is the same. Dead is dead, whether you die because of terrorism or because of a natural disaster. But for the world at large, the one is more mentally stunning then the other. NAtural disasters are tragic of course, but large scale murder due to terrorism is outrigh horrible. Since it confronts us with the utter evil that can be human, and therefor, can be inside of us.
Which is worse, ten victims killed in traffic accidents (pure accidents?) or one knifed in the park? Are these even comparable, except on a quantifyable scale?

Well, as for the question, I only condone measures that can be reasonably explained as being effective against the situation they were taken for. So better gun control to combat global warming is nonsense, whereas the same ofr terrorism receives my support.
And yes, there is a HUGE difference for me between those two.

Naj.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:02 pm
najmelliw wrote:
It's a difference in quality that counts. Where one is caused by something unthinking, primeordeal and utterly destructive natural phenomenon, the other is nothing less then murder. LArge scale murder. [..] NAtural disasters are tragic of course, but large scale murder due to terrorism is outrigh horrible.

I dunno, Naj.

I mean, I understand what you're saying, of course. Politically speaking, too, a large-scale terrorist attack of course has far more impact than a natural disaster, it is more likely to "change everything" beyond the area of impact, as well. And I, too, know this feeling of resignation bordering on indifference about natural disasters "just happening"; "nothing much you can do about it".

But I'd put two thoughts against or next to that.

One: compare the number of victims if a hurricane hits the US and if one hits Bangladesh. Or compare even the impact of a tsunami where a tsunami warning system is in place, and where there isn't. The number of victims, the scope of suffering, is not something that is as determined by the irrational ferocity of nature as we instinctively feel it is, looking at the destruction.

We humans and the actions we can undertake can have a drastic impact on how much life and suffering is taken by a disaster. Investing in defences against potential disasters pays off hugely in terms of preventing thousands of deaths - and ultimately, of course, human development is the best defence. People who live in solidly constructed houses rather than ramshackle shantytown huts are more likely to survive.

Which brings me to #2: this feeling of the tsunami, or an earthquake, or whatever, being "tragic" but only something like 9/11 being truly "horrible" might very much be one that comes with the relatively privileged perspective of someone in the prosperous West. Of course, metaphysically speaking you're right: there's an essential difference between human evil and the indifference of nature's cruelty. But that, too, might be a difference one only gets round to giving much thought if you're mostly sheltered from the latter anyway.

In fact, in response to 9/11 we've also seen the other side. While Americans and many in the West wailed about the unprecedented horror that would leave the world changed for ever, people in Third World countries who face the terror of civil war or hunger on a day-to-day basis were relatively more agnostic about it. Terrible, of course; something to sincerely commiserate with as it occurs, as was done. But not something that "changes the world forever"; rather, the kind of wanton death that they've seen around them one way or another in any case.

The difference in perspective emerges when the issue moves to politics, and the US and some West-European governments push the War on Terror as the one, single, all-overriding priority in the world today. For governments who face longstanding civil conflicts that have taken a multiple of 3,000 victims over the years, for countries where hunger or AIDS take out a multiple of 3,000 every year, the priority just doesnt seem so singular. In fact, the War on Terror may look as rather an abstract concept in comparison with, say, the tsunami aftermath.

Thus, for those living in South-Asia, I'm sure, it is an event like 9/11 that may be "tragic of course", but the far larger natural devastation and subsequent day-to-day struggle for survival of hundreds of thousands that "is outright horrible".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 10:31 pm
Fair enough, nimh. The hurricanes and cyclones in your list make your point.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 11:04 pm
Mr. Nimh has, I am certain, no evidence that

l. Global Warming will proceed at the rate given by the "alarmists"

2. Global Warming will proceed at the timeline given by the "alarmists"

3. we can not develop the technology and use the technology we have
at present to mitigate any levels of "global warming: that occurs in the next fifty years .

He also has:

4. Apparently NO idea of the rate at which the Co2 is being pumped into the atmosphere by the non-signatories to Kyoto--primarily China.

5. Apparently no idea that some of the pompous complainers who point to the USA as a violator, are hypocrites. The Netherlands( last year in June 2005,) was listed by the INTERNATIONAL ENERGY AGENCY as not having a decrease as aimed for by the Kyoto Protocol( based on the 1990 figures) but rather a RISE OF CO2 SINCE 1990 OF 13.2 PERCENT.

I suggest that there really can't be much fear in Europe about the alleged "global warming" since most of the European Countries which are signatories to the Kyoto Protocol have not decreased their emissions of CO2( based on the 1990 goals) but have actually increased their co2 emissions, some at a higher percentage than the USA.

I respectfully suggest that Mr. Nimh do more reading on the subject of CO2 emissions. He does not seem to have the basic facts down pat!!!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:01 am
nimh wrote:
najmelliw wrote:
It's a difference in quality that counts. Where one is caused by something unthinking, primeordeal and utterly destructive natural phenomenon, the other is nothing less then murder. LArge scale murder. [..] NAtural disasters are tragic of course, but large scale murder due to terrorism is outrigh horrible.

nimh wrote:

I dunno, Naj.

I mean, I understand what you're saying, of course. Politically speaking, too, a large-scale terrorist attack of course has far more impact than a natural disaster, it is more likely to "change everything" beyond the area of impact, as well. And I, too, know this feeling of resignation bordering on indifference about natural disasters "just happening"; "nothing much you can do about it".

I reread my post, just to make sure, but I didn't find an expression of such indifference in it. I know of the feeling of indifference described in your post, since these things just sound a bit surreal. Natural disasters happen disturbingly often, and I greatly fear we are gradually growing numb to their horrors. As long as they do not happen close to home that is.

nimh wrote:

But I'd put two thoughts against or next to that.

One: compare the number of victims if a hurricane hits the US and if one hits Bangladesh. Or compare even the impact of a tsunami where a tsunami warning system is in place, and where there isn't. The number of victims, the scope of suffering, is not something that is as determined by the irrational ferocity of nature as we instinctively feel it is, looking at the destruction.

That's entirely correct. I am not stating there is nothing we can do to minimize impact. I'm stating that there is little we can do to combat the disaster itself. We cannot stop floods or divert hurricanes. We can try to evacuate the people in potential disaster areas and try to help them take measures to prevent further suffering from such disasters. Shantytowns are of course more fragile then the style of building most people in the West are used to. One question we can ask ourselves is how those shantytowns, housing thousands of utterly poor people, came into being in such areas anyways. We in the west have a penchant for sending help when the disaster has struck, but such large scale areas of poverty are perhaps a disaster all by themselves, and one we in the West can certainly feel partially responsible for.

nimh wrote:

We humans and the actions we can undertake can have a drastic impact on how much life and suffering is taken by a disaster. Investing in defences against potential disasters pays off hugely in terms of preventing thousands of deaths - and ultimately, of course, human development is the best defence. People who live in solidly constructed houses rather than ramshackle shantytown huts are more likely to survive.

See above.

nimh wrote:

Which brings me to #2: this feeling of the tsunami, or an earthquake, or whatever, being "tragic" but only something like 9/11 being truly "horrible" might very much be one that comes with the relatively privileged perspective of someone in the prosperous West. Of course, metaphysically speaking you're right: there's an essential difference between human evil and the indifference of nature's cruelty. But that, too, might be a difference one only gets round to giving much thought if you're mostly sheltered from the latter anyway.

I understand in retrospect how my words must sound to those living in disaster prone areas, but I nevertheless stand by them. Yes, living in such an area makes the threat that much more real and terrible. I am not (although I exclude any uncontrollable Freudian subconscience I may posess) afraid of death by terrorism, although our media and government make these seem incredibly dangerous. I am not incredibly brave or anything, perhaps more likely to be insanely stupid, but I'll refrain from making more comments about this. Fact of the matter is, this is me. And I can only speak about me. Like I said above, the death by the one is as real as the death by the other.
In that respect, they are one and the same. But it's the way the survivors have to deal with the scars, where I make my stand and point out the difference.

nimh wrote:

In fact, in response to 9/11 we've also seen the other side. While Americans and many in the West wailed about the unprecedented horror that would leave the world changed for ever, people in Third World countries who face the terror of civil war or hunger on a day-to-day basis were relatively more agnostic about it. Terrible, of course; something to sincerely commiserate with as it occurs, as was done. But not something that "changes the world forever"; rather, the kind of wanton death that they've seen around them one way or another in any case.

I named it terrorism because the thread is about it, but in all honesty I must say I think we in the West are way out of whack in our response to the threat of terrorism. We let ourselves be ruled by this fear, which is inanely stupid IMHO, since by doing that we actually react the way terrorists, such as they are, hope we do. As such, motivating them for even more. However, (civil) war is a much more horrible circumstance of people killing people. Thousands upon thousands die in brutal fights or wanton slaughter. We still remember World War II (justly I think). It was a terrible war, with countless deaths, that changed our world forever. All wars since then were fought on a smaller scale, but this matters not one bit to those dying in them. And that may well be the true tragedy. We help people struck by natural disasters, but where is our help for those living in war zones?

nimh wrote:

The difference in perspective emerges when the issue moves to politics, and the US and some West-European governments push the War on Terror as the one, single, all-overriding priority in the world today. For governments who face longstanding civil conflicts that have taken a multiple of 3,000 victims over the years, for countries where hunger or AIDS take out a multiple of 3,000 every year, the priority just doesnt seem so singular. In fact, the War on Terror may look as rather an abstract concept in comparison with, say, the tsunami aftermath.

Thus, for those living in South-Asia, I'm sure, it is an event like 9/11 that may be "tragic of course", but the far larger natural devastation and subsequent day-to-day struggle for survival of hundreds of thousands that "is outright horrible".

All in all, you are correct in pointing out that may cultural background and geographic position on the globe are acute factors in determining how I, as an individual, may feel about that comparison. Others may feel differently, and all the more power to them. We are all humans gifted with the power to think and reason, but the conclusions we come to differ from one individual to the next, as they should, since it expresses the uniqueness of the human entity.
I think we both realize the other makes a very valid point, here Smile. I am not contesting yours, but I stand by mine. Wars in Africa are imho more horrible, since they are waged between humans and are started by humans, then tsunamis in Asia. Not when I compare the dead body count, since the tsunami made way more victims, especially considering the short amount of time it raged. It's the cause of it that I find less horrible then the one behind the war. And you are no doubt right when you claim an inhabitant of South East Asia may feel quite different about those priorities.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 01:18 am
We can do far far more to stop Terrorism than we can to stop Tsunamis.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 06:36 am
najmelliw wrote:
That's entirely correct. I am not stating there is nothing we can do to minimize impact. I'm stating that there is little we can do to combat the disaster itself. We cannot stop floods or divert hurricanes.

Well, that's what is in question in this thread, I think.. Of course, there will always be floods and hurricanes, that's the way the earth is built. But from what I've understood, climate change will increase - is already increasing - the number and ferocity of them. So yes, there would be ways to stop (some of) those extra ones from happening, if we act decisively against the human contribution to global warming now. The thread's question, then, is how much we are prepared to give up to do so..

najmelliw wrote:
Shantytowns are of course more fragile then the style of building most people in the West are used to. One question we can ask ourselves is how those shantytowns, housing thousands of utterly poor people, came into being in such areas anyways. We in the west have a penchant for sending help when the disaster has struck, but such large scale areas of poverty are perhaps a disaster all by themselves, and one we in the West can certainly feel partially responsible for.

<nods>
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
BernardR wrote:
Bravo, Mr. Finn. I know a good deal about the alleged global warming but you have put the matter to rest. I would like, however, to add one item--According to studies done on the future effects of global warming( assuming that the warming is as severe as the IPCC has said--a prediction which is in great peril of being drastically modified if not overturned--) it will be very costly to do nothing about global warming BUT IT WILL BE ALMOST AS COSTLY TO COPE WITH IT.

Have you learned the name of your personal hero yet? You know, the one who is a wholly owned subsidiary of the oil interests? On Abuzz, you never spelled his name correctly!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 04:17 pm
For the next five generations -- that's the modern, 33 year generation -- every woman on the planet should have her tubes tied after giving birth to her single child. That might slow the speed of global warming. The planet is beyond its carrying capacity as far as humans are concerned.

It would also thin the ranks of the terrorists and provoke them less.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 12:10 am
I read the interesting posts made by Plain Ol Me on the subject of Global Warming and find that he has a way with words. However, he appears to know nothing about the facts.

My comment about the cost of the possible reduction is based on a quite reputable professors of Economics and model builder, William Nordhaus of Yale University, who, of course, Mr. Plain Ol Me is invited to check out.

But, I must first reference a book by William James Burroughs "Does the Weather Really matter-The Social Implications of Climate Change--Cambridge- Cambridge University Press--P. 148

quote:

"Computer Models are the only way to meassure how human activities affect the climate. It is important to point out that all the IPCC's predictions are based on such climatic computer model simulations and that the result of such simulations depend entirely on the parameters and algorithms with which the computer is fed"
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:46 am
BernardR wrote:
Mr. O'Donnell- That's a fascinating thesis.

No, it's not a thesis. I was just pointing something out, that's all.

Quote:
Would that have also fostered Terrorism. Surely, you are aware that temperature changes are not always deleterious. In the Medieval Warm Period, the Vikings were able to farm Greenland and Iceland and the English grew grapes that rivaled French production.

All changes are deleterious, BernardR. The problem, of course, is whether we can adapt to them.

The concentration of carbon dioxide has already reached 380 part per million, which is 100 ppm above the agricultural revolution you referred to. We are far in excess of the example you stated.

In fact, we have never reached current atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide before in mankind's history.

Quote:
I respectfully suggest that you read up on the alleged global warming!

I suggest that you read up on the evidence, because I don't believe you have. One of the problems with science is that its original articles are difficult to search for unless you have financial access to scholarly search engines and the sites on which they are located.

You know, I absolutely hope, that the sceptics are right about global warming. I really do. But the scientific evidence does not support their convictions.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:52 pm
Mr. O'Donnell says: "All changes are deleterious"

Really? When a child grows into adulthood, that is a "change"
. I do not know how it would be considered to be deleterious.

When a polio vaccine is developed that saves the lives of Millions of children, that is a "change". I do not know how it would be considered to be deleterious.

Mr. O'Donnell says:
The concentration of Carbon Dioxide has reached 380 parts per million, which is 100 ppm above the agricultural revolution you referred to. We have never reached 350.

Mr. O'Donnell does not give a source for his information but I am very familiar with his figures and can say that, indeed, CO2 has reached 350 BUT THE IMPORTANT ASSUMPTION THAT MR. O'DONNELL MAKES IS THAT IT IS THE CO2 WHICH IS CAUSING THE GLOBAL WARMING.

Mr.O'Donnell does not know that the IPCC( which is the main organization that has done a great deal of the research on "global warming" does indeed have sources which can be referenced.

But I will end with a quote which I ask Mr. O'Donnell to respond to.
Mr. O"Donnell, I think, is a scientist, so he should be able to give a coherent answer to the following:

quote:

There is no doubt that the temperature of the late twentieth century is greater than many previous century, but THIS CANNOT BE TAKEN AS A SIMPLE INDICATION OF OVERWHELMING GLOBAL WARMING as we are also coming out of a "Little Ice Age"( Mr. O'Donnell will not, I hope be taken aback when he learns that in 1975--only thirty one years ago, learned scientists were predicting a new "Ice Age"). The claim that the temperature is higher now than at any time throughout the past 1000 years seems less well substantiated, as the data ESSENTIALLY EXCLUDE OCEAN TEMPERATURES,NIGHT TEMPERATURES AND WINTER TEMPERATURES AND MOREOVER ARE BASED ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ON NORTH AMERICAN DATA."

end of quote

Source--The Skeptical Environmentalist--Bjorn Lomborg--P. 263

I am not certain about this since I don't know how much Mr. O"Donnell has read on this subject, but I have read a great deal. I would respectfully ask Mr.O'Donnell to learn just how much I have read by raising an issue in the "global warming" controversy. Then, perhaps, he may come to understand that I have indeed read a great deal in that area and I can say without fear of contradiction, that the fear that the world will end in the next twenty years because of CO2 in the atmosphere is ABSURD!!!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 04:53 am
BernardR wrote:
Mr. O'Donnell says: "All changes are deleterious"

Really? When a child grows into adulthood, that is a "change"
. I do not know how it would be considered to be deleterious.

Okay, I was exaggerating. If you want, though, I can state that when a child grows into adulthood, he/she's that much closer to death. Is that not deleterious?

Quote:
Wolf O'Donnell wrote:
The concentration of Carbon Dioxide has reached 380 parts per million, which is 100 ppm above the agricultural revolution you referred to. We have never reached 350.

Mr. O'Donnell does not give a source for his information but I am very familiar with his figures and can say that, indeed, CO2 has reached 350 BUT THE IMPORTANT ASSUMPTION THAT MR. O'DONNELL MAKES IS THAT IT IS THE CO2 WHICH IS CAUSING THE GLOBAL WARMING.

Oh yes, how silly of me.

Source: Scientific American, June 2006.

And of course, I left out a key word at the end of my sentence. That phrase is, before. Of course, if you had actually read my post, you would have realised that what I had said didn't actually make sense without the word, before, in it.

Quote:
There is no doubt that the temperature of the late twentieth century is greater than many previous century, but THIS CANNOT BE TAKEN AS A SIMPLE INDICATION OF OVERWHELMING GLOBAL WARMING as we are also coming out of a "Little Ice Age". The claim that the temperature is higher now than at any time throughout the past 1000 years seems less well substantiated, as the data ESSENTIALLY EXCLUDE OCEAN TEMPERATURES,NIGHT TEMPERATURES AND WINTER TEMPERATURES AND MOREOVER ARE BASED ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ON NORTH AMERICAN DATA."

Dr. Lomborg is a political scientist, but let's forget that for now shall we?

What he says about excluding ocean temperatures is actually wrong.

Detection of Anthropogenic Climate Change in the World's Oceans Science 13 April 2001: Vol. 292. no. 5515, pp. 270 - 274.

What I've just stated is a reference to a research article detailing the exploits of Dr. Barnett. In it, he examines ocean temperatures and finds that no natural climate change could ever be responsible for the pattern of temperature increase he observed.

In fact, read the abstract yourself. He says the chance of it being due to natural causes is 5%. That's very low, low enough for scientists to confidentally state that the increase in ocean temperatures is due to anthropogenic causes and be correct at the same time.

In the very same issue, you'll find:

Anthropogenic Warming of Earth's Climate System. Science 13 April 2001:
Vol. 292. no. 5515, pp. 267 - 270.

Yet another study that pins the blame on anthropogenic gases, the majority of which is carbon dioxide.

Now, as for night temperatures, I can only find one so far. But that's because I'd rather not do an insane in-depth study to prove you wrong, because I and no doubt you have much better things to do.

So I'll just state the rice yields evidence.

Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming PNAS, July 6 2004, vol. 101, no. 27, 9971-9975.

And no, the IPCC does not have a direct link to the research papers on global warming. You have to trail through their reports and examine their reference sections, which takes a very long time.

Quote:
I would respectfully ask Mr.O'Donnell to learn just how much I have read by raising an issue in the "global warming" controversy.

Oh really? Well, there is one I can think up of off the top of my head and that's the supposed increase in solar temperatures. That could be a cause of global warming, but if the carbon dioxide levels are rising as well as increasing solar temperatures, surely that means our actions are merely making a natural process even worse?

Quote:
Tthat the fear that the world will end in the next twenty years because of CO2 in the atmosphere is ABSURD!!!

No one ever said that.

The fear is that the changes to the environment will be irreversible and that many lives will be lost due to the climate change.

Now, I realise that natural selection and evolution actually calls for species to adapt in order to overcome climate change and that trying to make things stay the same is stifling natural selection and evolution.

However, just because evolution is how we came to be, does not mean it is how we should live.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:34 am
Two tables from the latest Pew Global Attitude Project (13.06.2006):

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6609/zwischenablage019ca.jpg http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/5628/zwischenablage013ui.jpg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Re: Global Warming vs. Terrorism
FreeDuck wrote:
I have the following questions.

1) Which would you support in response to the threat of terrorism if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

a) Gun control laws.
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
d) Expanded presidential powers.
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

2) Which would you support in response to the threat of global climate change if they were deemed by the government to be effective?

a) Gun control laws.
b) Enhanced law enforcement powers at the expense of civil liberties.
c) Tougher regulation on businesses.
d) Expanded presidential powers.
e) Expanded federal government control of state and local resources.

3) Lastly, which is the greater threat to the world and our nation: global climate change, or terrorism?

1)
A:No- Don't know how this would cut down on terrorism. Once again it leaves the guns in the hands of those who want to hurt us.

B: Yes only to a point. The right to protest shouldn't ever be touched. Which civil liberties are we talking about. Some are less important then others.

C: No. Unless they are selling weapons to terrorists and or providing them with money I don't know how this would solve the problem of terrorism.

D: Yes/No. Depends on what types of powers will be expanded upon.

E: Yes/No. I don't know how this will effect terrorism besides keeping my water that I drink safe.

2)
A: No. I don't see how this would effect GCC (Global Climate Change)

B: No. I don't see how this would effect GCC

C: Yes. As long as it doesn't have a very large effect on the ability of a business to make money.

D: Yes/No depends on what powers we are talking about.

E: Yes/No depends on what types of resouces we are talking about. I don't know how my city would effect the GCC but if they really think it would help then why not.

3) Terrorism. Terrorism isn't regualted to just certain areas. It has a world wide effect in that there are many countries that are dealing with World Wide Terrorism. Most of the major conflicts in the world currently deal with Islamo-Facism. They want to enact extreme muslim law on everyone and if you don't agree "off with your head". This is a much larger problem then GCC.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:11 pm
BernardR wrote:
I

My comment about the cost of the possible reduction is based on a quite reputable professors of Economics and model builder, William Nordhaus of Yale University, who, of course, Mr. Plain Ol Me is invited to check out.

"

Hmmm. I always turn to the business page of the newspaper when I want to know about the weather, don't you?

And, I listen to the Nightly Business Report on PBS to learn about climate change!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:14 pm
I lost the name of whoever wrote that here in the west we over react to terrorism.

I was in France about a decade ago and thought the French handled the more immediate threat of terrorism better than Americans are doing at the present.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:49 am
Mr. O"Donnell. I am very much afraid that you don't know what you are talking about. You appear to know very little about the alleged global warming.

Now, I can give you a great deal of evidence that disputes the predictions of the IPCC( You do know who that is, don't you?) but I will begin with one of the most pressing problems ADMITTED TO BY THE IPCC( see IPCC 2001a:12:executive summary) relates to the measurement of the troposphere from all regions of the globe. The observed tropospheric temperature, derived from satellites, essentially shows no trend. Whereas the model expects a warming of about O.224 DEGREES C per decade, the tropospheric data a warming of only 0.034 DEGREES per decade- a warming of less than a sixth of he expected amount, This is truly important for our long term warming prediction, Little or no temperature increase in the troposphere means much less water feedback and a much smaller warming estimate.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:55 am
Your comment about Professor Nordhaus, Plain Ol Me, shows your complete ignorance of the issues involved with global warming.

Professor Nordhaus( you can find a great deal of data about him and his work on the internet) is an economist who has produced the first computer model, the Dynamic Integrated Climate-economy model(DICE) in order to evaluate the pros and cons of different political choices with regard to the reduction of Co2 and its costs to society.
0 Replies