Global Warming vs. Terrorism

okie

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:47 pm
parados wrote:
That's nice okie. And I don't buy yours, or Bernards or Mr Krauthammers lack of science. Feel free to keep touting unscientific items and claiming they trump science. They don't.

Parados, do you ever watch weather channels replaying of storms, hurricanes, floods, tornados, cyclones, droughts, animals dying, people dying in all sorts of disasters? Add the creepy music, then narrate it with some long haired hippie scientist explaining to all of us nitwits out here how global warming could very well be responsible, and in fact probably is responsible for all of those things. Now that is REAL SCIENCE Parados. I become so educated when I watch those things. They are always so documented with indisputable facts and figures.

Parados, then do you watch cartoons, as they are also so deeply informative and scientific as well?

On second thought, I think I prefer Krauthammers science. His has at least a bit of common sense injected.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 06:56 am
plainoldme wrote:
Krauthammer is an unpleasant, biased sort of person. Resemble anyone we know?

Your posts fill me with the urge to defecate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 07:05 am
Perhaps Bernie or okie could point me to the peer reviewed artilce that has printed the study done that backs up Mr Krauthammer.

I see no research mentioned to support anything he has said.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:04 am
parados wrote:
Perhaps Bernie or okie could point me to the peer reviewed artilce that has printed the study done that backs up Mr Krauthammer.

I peer reviewed his article, Parados, and have hereby certified it to meet the minimum standards of something called "common sense."

Do you need a research paper to prove the sun came up this morning, Parados?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 01:19 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have, unfortunately missed the scientific references made by Mr.Parados.

I am very much afraid that Mr.Parados knows very very little about science. I will refer to Mr. Krauthammer's article again and invite Mr. Parados to display his scientific knowledge by rebutting Mr. Krauthammer's references. I am fairly certain that Mr. Parados will not do so because, if his past posts are any criterion, he cannot rebut.

Here are the SCIENTIFIC sources used by Mr. Krauthammer in his article cited previously:

quote: Baliunas--

Sea Levels And Storms

The computer climate models do not make any reliable predictions whatever concerning global flooding, storm variability, and other catastrophes that have come to be a part of the popular definition of ''global warming.'' (See Chapter 6, section 6-5 of reference 14.) Yet several scenarios of impending global catastrophe have arisen separately. One of these hypothesizes that rising sea levels will flood large areas of coastal land. Figure 15 shows satellite measurements of global sea level between 1993 and 1997 (43). The reported current global rate of rise amounts to only about plus 2 mm per year, or plus 8 inches per century, and even this estimate is probably high (43). The trends in rise and fall of sea level in various regions have a wide range of about 100 mm per year with most of the globe showing downward trends (43).

Figure 15: Global sea level measurements from the Topex/Poseidon satellite altimeter for 1993 to 1997 (43). The instrument record gives a rate of change of minus 0.2 mm per year (43). However, it has been reported that 50-year tide gauge measurements give plus 1.8 mm per year. A correction of plus 2.3 mm per year was added to the satellite data based on comparison to selected tide gauges to get a value of plus 2.1 mm per year or 8 inches per century (43).
Historical records show no acceleration in sea level rise in the 20th century (44). Moreover, claims that global warming will cause the Antarctic ice cap to melt and sharply increase this rate are not consistent with experiment or with theory (45).

Similarly, claims that hurricane frequencies and intensities have been increasing are also inconsistent with the data. Figure 16 shows the number of severe Atlantic hurricanes per year and also the maximum wind intensities of those hurricanes. Both of these values have been decreasing with time.

Figure 16: Annual numbers of violent hurricanes and maximum attained wind speeds during those hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean (46). Slopes of the trend lines are minus 0.25 hurricanes per decade and minus 0.33 meters per second maximum attained wind speed per decade.
As temperatures recover from the Little Ice Age, the more extreme weather patterns that characterized that period may be trending slowly toward the milder conditions that prevailed during the Middle Ages, which enjoyed average temperatures about 1 ºC higher than those of today. Concomitant changes are also taking place, such as the receding of glaciers in Montana's Glacier National Park."

-Here is what Mr. Krauthammer referenced in his article.

"Harvard astrophysicist Sallie Baliunas points out that in Northern Europe over the last thousand years, the increased devastation and occurence of storms is closely linked to cooler rather than warmer temperatures. Sublime conditions occured during the 10th -12th centuries( roughly 1 degree C warmer than now) In the 13th century, when a cooling began that lasted centuries, storms and sea flooding in the area around the North Sea increased dramatically in severity and frequency"

I will wait for Mr. Parados to rebut the scientific opinion expressed above, but I am fairly certain that all I will get is an unreferenced and ignorant response, if any at all.

I am sure you have observed the phenomenon, Okie. When they can't rebut an argument, they either make personal attacks or behave as if they had not been thoroughly shown up by an argument against their claims.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:19 am
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

I peer reviewed his article, Parados, and have hereby certified it to meet the minimum standards of something called "common sense."

It says a lot about the science used in that you claim to be a peer of Mr Krauthammer.

Peer reviewed would be a scientific study published in a science magazine and reviewed by other scientists.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:02 am
Hi, Advocate --

Were you on Abuzz? Bernie used several names there, most notably massagatto. He truly loves disruption and ending communication and he spammed constantly. I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking his double and triple posts here were the result of the recent difficulty we had here on a2k. However, that is long gone and you are right: he is spamming.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:03 am
Written by okie, who seems to be in a time warp:

then narrate it with some long haired hippie scientist explaining to all of us
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:17 am
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
parados wrote:

It says a lot about the science used in that you claim to be a peer of Mr Krauthammer.

Peer reviewed would be a scientific study published in a science magazine and reviewed by other scientists.

Parados, can't you appreciate a little humor? By the way, do you claim to be smarter than Krauthammer?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:21 am
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
Plainoldme:

Yeah, Bernie has an inglorious record of spamming, misquoting, ad hominem attacks, and latrine-oriented language. Compared to his past, he is now, so far, relatively well behaved.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 12:53 pm
Mr. Parados does not know that Dr. Baliunas is one of the most respected scientists in the United States and that her article are indeed peer-reviewed.

Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide

• Abstract
• Summary
• Rise In Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide
• Atmospheric And Surface Temperatures
• The Global Warming Hypothesis
• Global Warming Evidence
• Sea Levels And Storms
• Fertilization Of Plants
• Discussion
• References

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Previous Next

Abstract

ARTHUR B. ROBINSON, SALLIE L. BALIUNAS, WILLIE SOON, AND ZACHARY W. ROBINSON

Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, 2251 Dick George Rd., Cave Junction, Oregon 97523 [email protected]

George C. Marshall Institute, 1730 K St., NW, Ste 905, Washington, DC 20006 [email protected] January 1998

But Mr. Parados would not know that. I can, if necessary, bring up several articles in Scientific Magazines which are peer reviewed, written by Dr. Baliunas and staff and are on the subject of storms.

I notice that the Global Warming thread has been locked. I am glad that Okie, Asherman, George Ob1 and myself showed the left wing that global warming is not as it has been reported by the sky is falling crowd!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 03:23 pm
Why don't you bring up articles by the church from the 1300's claiming the world is flat while you are at it Bernard. It makes as much sense as an editorial from 1997.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:24 pm
Amigo, Parados -- Bernie/Massa continually falls back upon people whose success is owed to the Peter Principle and thinks they are truly admired by the world at large when they laughed at and regarded as something of an embarrassment.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:30 pm
plainoldme wrote:

plainoldme, you can't be serious? Your list of books are mostly political books, plainoldme, they are not serious scientific works.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2006 08:39 am
Global warming v. terrorism.

Apples v. oranges?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
Quote:
Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth
The companion volume to the movie, An Inconvenient Truth tells the story of former Vice President Al Gore's life-long passion for studying global warming, and details his quest to educate the world about the growing threat we face from the climate crisis. Loaded with charts, maps, photos and supporting data, the book allows those who saw the film to delve into the details at their own pace. Even if you haven't seen the movie yet, it's a great overview of the scientific consensus on global warming and a call to action we can't afford to ignore.

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday looking for a new book to read. I noticed that Al's book was in the New Release section. After quickly glancing at it, I picked up the whole stack and moved it to the New Fiction section.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Quote:
Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth
The companion volume to the movie, An Inconvenient Truth tells the story of former Vice President Al Gore's life-long passion for studying global warming, and details his quest to educate the world about the growing threat we face from the climate crisis. Loaded with charts, maps, photos and supporting data, the book allows those who saw the film to delve into the details at their own pace. Even if you haven't seen the movie yet, it's a great overview of the scientific consensus on global warming and a call to action we can't afford to ignore.

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday looking for a new book to read. I noticed that Al's book was in the New Release section. After quickly glancing at it, I picked up the whole stack and moved it to the New Fiction section.

Frankly, I hope you've had a vasectomy.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:10 am
plainoldme wrote:

Frankly, I wish your dad got a vasectomy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 11:28 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

Frankly, I wish your dad got a vasectomy.

You can't take the idea of personal responsibility, can you? Of course not! That might mean being informed, caring about others and giving things up.

Your beliefs, or, rather, your ignorance is a danger to us all.
0 Replies