Dixie Chicks withdraw apology to Bush

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 06:51 am
The Dixie Chicks have amazing crossover potential. I don't pay much attention to country music but I knew and appreciated them for years before they made their political statements. They have never, ever been a group who appealed mostly just to country fans.

If it takes them an album or two to cultivate a new fan base, so be it. They have the talent and the songs in them to do it.

Remember, people hollered about how Bob Dylan was all over when he first started appearing onstage with electric guitars instead of the traditional folk acoustic instruments. How did that eventually work out for him?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 04:41 pm
Country music fans are probably experiencing a horrible paradox in their lives, as many who are conservative and voted for Bush as well as being unyielding supporters of this war are probably having second thoughts. I know many conservatives who are downright embarrassed for voting for Bush in 2004, and the public sentiment has definitely soured since then.

With that said, there becomes a glimmer of vindication for the Dixie Chicks, as some who probably lined up to burn their discs are now coming to the same conclusions Natalie and others reached years ago regarding the Bush regime.

And their new album sounds great.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:15 pm
Dookiestix, you're right. America is undergoing an awakening to how this war was built on lies. The horror stories like Haditha will further erode America's and Bushie's reputations. Those who stood tall like the Chicks will have been proven to be doing and saying the right things all along to the benefit of their nation and the human race. These brave women spoke out while the country still had blinders on. Dangerous. The blinders are now off and most Americans now go so far as to say Bushie deliberately lied us into war. A very serious charge. There just aint words enough to describe the bravery, love and righteousness of the Dixie Chicks. America has a conscience and they proved that.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 12:34 am
But they are not as courageous as the most courageous woman in America and perhaps the world- the Courageous Cindy Sheehan.

She is America's mother and the voice of the suppressed American conscience.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:26 am
Dixie Chicks' latest album debuts at number one

RAW STORY
Published: Wednesday May 31, 2006

From a press release:

#
As Taking The Long Way debuts at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 best-selling albums chart this week, with first week's sales of 525,829, the Dixie Chicks have become the first female group in chart history to have three albums debut at #1, breaking the record the Chicks established in 2002 when the group's last studio album, Home, debuted at #1 and made them the first female group ever to have two albums debut at #1.

With the #1 debut of Taking The Long Way, the Dixie Chicks have also become the first female group in chart history to have three studio albums occupy the #1 slot on the Top 200.
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Dixie_Chicks_latest_album_debuts__0531.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:52 am
They are a pretty damned talented group of women. I'm not a bit surprised at that news.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:15 am
Press Release wrote:
As Taking The Long Way debuts at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 best-selling albums chart this week, with first week's sales of 525,829.....

Ahem. Reports of the Dixie Chicks' music industry demise appear to have been greatly exaggerated.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 11:15 am
BernardR wrote:
But they are not as courageous as the most courageous woman in America and perhaps the world- the Courageous Cindy Sheehan.

She is America's mother and the voice of the suppressed American conscience.

Very good post...thank you
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:31 pm
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060531/nyw075.html?.v=52
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:07 am
http://www.prisonplanet.com/Pictures/Jun06/010606Dixie.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:14 am
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:26 am
The Chicks will be here in Atlanta in October. I'm thinking of getting tickets. I've never seen them live.
0 Replies

maineus

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:43 am
Go Natalie
Go Natalie, Emily and Marty. She who laughs last laughs best.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:55 am
I boutght all their CDs after the "blowup" over Maine's statement in London. I ordered the new CD from Amazon before it was released and have downloaded "Not Ready to Make Nice" as the ring tone on my new cell phone! I think they are terrific. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
And just think, if every wacko liberal bought their album, they'd be at the top of the Billboard 200 for days, if not weeks.

(Which is not to characterize any A2K'er as a "wacko liberal" .... I'm just saying ...)

Yes, #1 on the Billboard chart is amazing ... particularly considering #2 is the soundtrack to the Disney Channel original movie "High School Musical," and #3 is the soundtrack to "American Idol Season 5: Encores." I mean -- don't get me wrong, they're no "Rascal Flatts," but they are in rare company indeed.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
VNN, "Not Ready to Make Nice" is powerful. Saw the Chicks on Larry King last night. A caller congratulated them and said they must feel good now that 70% of Americans agree with them. Larry said it's 60% and Natalie said no it's 70%. She also said much of their mail is from vets and families of military who support them completely. Said they would be happy to go to Iraq to entertain the troops if asked. They were putting out feelers on that I think.

"Travelin' Soldier"

Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
He's a little shy so she gives him a smile
And he said would you mind sittin' down for a while
And talking to me,
I'm feeling a little low
She said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go

So they went down and they sat on the pier
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you

Chorus: I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldier's coming home

So the letters came from an army camp
In California then Vietnam
And he told her of his heart
It might be love and all of the things he was so scared of
He said when it's getting kinda rough over here
I think of that day sittin' down at the pier
And I close my eyes and see your pretty smile
Don't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile

[Chorus]

One Friday night at a football game
The Lord's Prayer said and the Anthem sang
A man said folks would you bow your heads
For a list of local Vietnam dead
Crying all alone under the stands
Was a piccolo player in the marching band
And one name read and nobody really cared
But a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:17 am
"Vietnam Soldier" is my favorite, Blueflame. Liberal whacko that I am! Also proud that George Bush is not from my state of Minnesota or the state of Maryland where I now live Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:18 am
I had only heard snips of their music, until last week, when they were on a network nightly (Letterman? I forget). I listened to two complete songs. Dang! Them girls can sing! I think Natalie is also very attractive, besides being talented and spirited.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
I know the title is "Travelin' Soldier", but to me it is Vietnam Soldier. Breaks my heart every time I hear it.

I just thougt of another person who recorded an anti war song...Creedence Clearwater's John Fogarty and it was a dilly. Anyone remember it. I bought the CD just for that song. It was an old song and he changed the lyrics. It made me cry because I thought of all the dying soldiers again.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:25 am
Wasn't that "Fortunate Son"?

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief",
oh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no senator's son,
I ain't no fortunate one, no,

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, why don't they help themselves? oh.
But when the taxman come to the door,
Lord, the house look a like a rummage sale, yes,

I ain't no millionaire's son, no, no.
I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Yeh, some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, how much should we give,
oh, they only answer, more, more, more, yoh,

I ain't no military son, SON, NO