Dixie Chicks withdraw apology to Bush

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:19 pm
'Radical chicks'

RAW STORY
Published: Sunday May 21, 2006

From a TIME press release:

New York - "I apologized for disrespecting the office of the President. But I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever," Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines tells TIME's music critic Josh Tyrangiel, of her remark to a London audience in 2003: "Just so you know, we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas." TIME's cover story, "Radical Chicks," hits newsstands Monday, May 22nd.

"I got hot from my head to my toes-just kind of this rush of 'Ohhh, s_,' says Dixie Chick Emily Robison of Maines' 2003 statement. "It wasn't that I didn't agree with her 100%; it was just, 'Oh, this is going to stir something up.'"

The first single from the Dixie Chicks' new album, Taking the Long Way (out May 23), is called Not Ready to Make Nice. It's quite possible that in singing about their anger at people who were already livid with them and were once their target audience, the Chicks have written their own ticket to the pop-culture glue factory, writes Tyrangiel.

"I guess if we really cared, we wouldn't have released that single first," says Dixie Chick Martie Maguire. "That was just making people mad. But I don't think it was a mistake." Robison tells TIME: "We wrote it for ourselves, for therapy."

"I'd rather have a smaller following of really cool people who get it," Maguire tells TIME, "who will grow with us as we grow and are fans for life, than people that have us in their five-disc changer with Reba McEntire and Toby Keith. We don't want those kinds of fans. They limit what you can do."

"Everything was so nice and fine and happy for us for the longest time," Maines says of their pre-incident days. "It was awesome to feel those feelings again that I felt in high school: to be angry, to be sure that you're right and that the things you do matter. You don't realize that you're not feeling those feelings until you do. And then you realize how much more interesting life is."

"Their old audience feels a little betrayed, a little left behind maybe," says Country Music Television's executive vice president Brian Philips. That may explain why, as the Chicks and country began their breakup, country fans ran into the arms of brilliant redneck instigator Toby Keith, who displayed a doctored photo of Maines and Saddam Hussein at his concerts.

"You could tell this thing had strengthened them personally but shaken them artistically," says producer Rick Rubin. "What turned me on, though, was that even though people were divided over what they said, people cared what they said, and that's a very strong position for an artist to be in. For the first time the girls, these cute little girls, had a platform."

Tim McGraw, one of the few vocal Democrats in country, and the only major artist who would speak on the record about the Dixie Chicks, says, "You've got to remember this is a family skirmish, and it's possible there's more than one thing going on."

See full story on TIME.com
http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Radical_chicks_0521.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 15,397 • Replies: 352
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:07 pm
And however you vote, it's tough to deny that by gambling their careers, three Texas women have the biggest balls in American music.

Joe(amen)Nation
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:54 pm
Well, if a group that is as well known as the Dixie Chicks, who, unknown to most of Americans, have stunning foreign policy credentials, think that President Bush is not a good man, who am I to contradict such an august group?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:01 pm
Natalie Maines didn't say that, she said they were ashamed that he was from Texas.

That's all

Joe(Let him be from your neck of the woods)Nation
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:02 pm
BernardR wrote:
Well, if a group that is as well known as the Dixie Chicks, who, unknown to most of Americans, have stunning foreign policy credentials, think that President Bush is not a good man, who am I to contradict such an august group?

No one Bernard, no one. Thanks for noticing.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:16 pm
Is Bush from Texas? I thought he was born in New Haven. Connecticut?

I visited the area in which he was born.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:19 pm
Did you remember to genuflect?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:27 pm
The chicks will always rock my world.

You go girls :-D
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:27 pm
No, unlike the secularists in the left wing who are either agnostics or atheists, I only genuflect in my church. I did not go to Church in New Haven but only to visit Yale and New Haven's important sites.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:35 pm
Well, I was born in Manchester, Connecticut and I'd like ya'll to know that I am ashamed this President of the United States was born in the same State as me and Bob Crane.

Joe( he was a real Hero)Nation
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:37 pm
You may be right, Joe Nation, and then again, on the other hand, you may not be right!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:37 pm
chickless/massagatto/BernardR, sorry your Presidunce has fallen and caint get up. Well not really sorry. Nice to see the Chix looking so good on the cover of Time Magazine though. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/ap/DixieChicksT05290.jpg
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:45 pm
Joe Nation- If the Democrats take control of the House in November and they impeach President Bush, you can certainly feel justified in your chagrin about President Bush being born in the great state of Connecticut. But if he is not impeached and, if, horrors, the GOP maintains control of the House and the Senate, I am afraid that your chagrin will be fruitless.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:46 pm
BernardR wrote:
I am afraid that your chagrin will be fruitless.

one of the silliest misuses of chagrin I've ever seen Laughing Do you know what it means?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:08 pm
Impeachment is presently being used by the GOP as another in the long line of scare tactics. Oh my!! They will impeach the war president!!

Impeachment is a Republican game, not Democratic, radical righties tried their hand at coup d'état and failed, but now they fear for themselves, but they can relax, Democrats aren't like Republicans.

Or should I say present day Republicans. This crop bears no resemblance to the patriots of the GOP who stood with Democrats during those darkest years of the Nixon White House and who went forward with evidence of so many high crimes and mis-demeanors it made grown men on both sides of the aisle weep. Wire-taps, money-laundering, tax records stolen, medical records stolen, lists of enemies, spying on churchs, spying on campuses, spying on members of any organization deemed worthy or dangerous or both, obstruction of justice, abuse of power, and defiance of congressional subpoenas, all from the Law and Order Administration.

Joe(I know I wept. I thought we had lost our country)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:22 pm
Bob Crane a hero? Oh, I get it - of the "Hogan's" variety. Not because of his lurid other life.

I've always thought Natalie Maines was cute. That stand she took and has continued to take just makes her seem even hotter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:37 pm
agreed snood...if only she had stuck to her guns and not apologized. I suppose some record executive or their manager told her it would help sales
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:13 pm
panzade wrote:
agreed snood...if only she had stuck to her guns and not apologized. I suppose some record executive or their manager told her it would help sales

I don't know the exact wording of the apology and it would probably contradict me anyway but...

Having lived in Central Texas for 10 years I know that there's a real attachment to being "A Texan" a real "Don't forget your roots" kind of sentiment. That said, I think she was probably apologizing more for speaking as a Texan or couching her statement in a way that made it seem like she was speaking for Texans, than she was apologizing for the statements itself.

I remember when this was happened, I was living in Temple TX. just a hop skip and a jump from the President's ranch, and the local Crispy Creme offered a free dozen donuts to people if they gave them their Dixie Chicks CD's. Yes, most people were ashamed that they dissed the Pres. but more than that they were mad/afraid that the Chicks may be seen as representing their views.

I know there are a few other Texans who can probably back me up on this. Except for you chicken sacrificing, satanist, liberals from Austin. :wink: You probably agreed with the statement and were happy to have her talking for you.[size=7] (I know I was) Laughing [/size]
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:43 am
snood wrote:
Bob Crane a hero? Oh, I get it - of the "Hogan's" variety. Not because of his lurid other life.

I've always thought Natalie Maines was cute. That stand she took and has continued to take just makes her seem even hotter.

Remember the thread I had going about this a few years back? Did you ever buy one of their CD's?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 04:40 am
First, because this is going to be a stupid question perhaps, I have to say I am out of it when it comes to popular music. I don't listen to the radio, except NPR, MTV seems to play the same song over and over with different scowling singers and hot dancers; I run with a Muvo full of Gypsy Kings and old Paul Simon tunes (Mostly from Graceland. YES I run that slow!).

Anyway, here's the question:

Who, other than Bruce Springsteen, has had a top 100 hit with a politically slanted message in the past eight years?

Joe(Where have you gone Bob Allen Zimmerman?)Nation
0 Replies