Posting photos of A2K members: let's talk about guidelines.

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:34 pm
Oh, Walter! No! Please don't overreact because of one photo! We've all enjoyed seeing your photos SO MUCH!!! I would be very sad if you stopped sharing them with us. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
that seems a little extreme... Crying or Very sad

It really is, indeed. But I neither want pagelong public discussions about my photos nor incidentically harming someone without intent.

This seems to be the possible reaction for me ... besides stopping photographing at all Laughing

Oh, well, understandable.

I hope there will remain those who are happy to check with folk at these gatherings and will post SOME photos.

It has been great to see people.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:37 pm
I'm not everybody :wink:

Ad I ally don't neither suggest that everybody should react like I do nor think that everybody (if someone at all) would react so.

(I've nothing against it that photos of me of what kind whatever are posted as well, without formal permission.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:37 pm
This is not all about Walter's photos but all of ours over time.

I am sorry that everything I say engenders anger.

That's it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:39 pm
hmmmm... lots of sensitivity in the air tonight, everybody seems to take everything so personally. sigh.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:45 pm
and if nobody posts photos ever again, it will be all my fault Shocked.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:46 pm
I know. (Sigh.)

It's been a long day, and I'm going to bed. I hope when I check in tomorrow, everyone will be back to their fun-lovin' selves.

G'night, folks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:47 pm
Oy. Indeed. And understandable.

Time to let things lie fallow a bit, I think.

But, if Osso thought I was angry, I wasn't. I don't get that.

And I know Walter isn't everybody, but Beth seemed to be saying much the same as he.

Nighty night A2kers. I am sure everyone will settle down overnight.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:49 pm
nobody was angry at anyone. worried at most. this concerns all of us.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:04 am
dlowan wrote:
And I know Walter isn't everybody, but Beth seemed to be saying much the same as he.

Well, I already had that night Laughing

Seriously, I'm only preventing myslef for getting angry about myself ... and invest a lot of time and work for nothing.
(And I do remember that eBeth worked hard with her numerous photos about the various gatherings as well :wink: )

I didn't have a digital camera at last year's London meeting, but it wasn't easy to find photos without one person in it.

It was even more difficult now (with with more than 1,000 photos [altogether], to select which could be posted where why .... just by toipc/theme - not by person. (Twice the computer went down, and I had to restore data on the compact flash once.)

So I'm just trying to make life for me easier with this decission. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:07 am
huh?

I never thought you were angry, Dlowan. Walter is angry. Which I semi-understand. But I'm a little tired of being understanding, having gone there for pages.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:14 am
There seem to be topics I never see which never appear when I hit "New Posts" (like Evolution 101, which seemed to be flourishing and flaming and I'd never seen until Timber posted a crosslink), and photos of what I gather was the Chi a2k gathering is one of those. Tried the first couple pages and the last couple here and didn't see any obvious link to it. Can somebody give me one, if all the pictures haven't been wiped away and house totally cleaned, please?

And is anyone thinking of another one in Boston yet?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:20 am
Username, you popped in here in the midst of a photo conflict, so if you look around there will be a bunch of disgruntled posters. But, mostly we are happy at meetings, including in Chicago. A Bostonian will probably be by in the morning to welcome you -- they have meetings fairly often.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:32 am
I'll tell a tangential story.

Back in summer '99, a bunch of us got together - can't remember the occasion, someone's birthday. The friend who organized the occasion and took the photos kindly sent copies to all of us there. She had blacked out my upper abdomen so it didn't look poofy, with a Sharpie pen. I didn't love my poofy abdomen, but - yes, viscerally reacted to having it blacked out. She was of course trying to be kind.

She is a licensed psychologist.

Chew on that one...

I'll say that in that instance, it was more an occasion of note for her needs and not mine. This time it was a little closer, maybe I wanted to go for the virtual Sharpie.

Past all this talk, these matters will come up again on a2k and are worth talking about.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:41 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Well, I already had that night Laughing

Seriously, I'm only preventing myslef for getting angry about myself ... and invest a lot of time and work for nothing.
(And I do remember that eBeth worked hard with her numerous photos about the various gatherings as well :wink: )

I didn't have a digital camera at last year's London meeting, but it wasn't easy to find photos without one person in it.

It was even more difficult now (with with more than 1,000 photos [altogether], to select which could be posted where why .... just by toipc/theme - not by person. (Twice the computer went down, and I had to restore data on the compact flash once.)

So I'm just trying to make life for me easier with this decission. :wink:

Oh I understand.

I like portait pictures of folk better, anyway, than group shots....or very small groups.

Some of the pix of people have been wonderful indeed.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 01:29 am
ah HA. Found some of the Walter and Chicago pix threads, y'all lookin' good..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:17 am
So, Walter and ehBeth, people I like, but I guess so what, are not going to post photos any more since I didn't like one of me and asked it deleted? Amended by Walter to non personal photos.

Is this like the reporters' thing about testifying? All photos sacrosanct forevermore? Some kind of rights for people who work hard at doing photos? I have thousands of slides of my own, wanna slide fight?
Anyone who goes to a meeting agrees without recourse to any photo?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:34 am
I haven't been angry. Irritated the first moment I saw a picture of me that threw me for an almost physical loop, and then not even irritated, but still with a point of view. It's been some time now, and I've weathered hearing how feeble my self image is, etc. and have been gaining a sense of humor about my role in this. At this point I am getting miffed. Am I suddenly the banner bearer of a flag against freedom of photography? Me, who has had at least one thread on that with few responses? Grrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 03:11 am
Just catching up with the topic...

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've done so with pics from a couple of previous meetings, where just one person ask me not to post photos with him/her appearing on it.
Which I did.

Thank you very much for that, Walter.

I loved watching you pictures and I will, even though they will be landscapes...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 03:20 am
ossobuco wrote:
So, Walter and ehBeth, people I like, but I guess so what, are not going to post photos any more since I didn't like one of me and asked it deleted? Amended by Walter to non personal photos.

Is this like the reporters' thing about testifying? All photos sacrosanct forevermore? Some kind of rights for people who work hard at doing photos?

I don't think you're being unreasonable, Osso. If you post a photo of someone on the Internet, you ask beforehand. Doesnt seem like a big deal - basic netiquette, infact.

The "oh well, if you want me to actually ask people whether they want their photo to be posted online, then, well, I'm just not going to post any pictures of anyone anymore, period!" - it seems like such an overreaction, the passive aggression really kind of surprises me.

I mean, most people dont mind any picture being posted, and most of those who do have reservations wouldnt want any pictures to be posted so you'd only have to ask them once. The few that are left, then, to pop a PM with the URLs of the pics before pasting 'em into a post - we're not talking a huge effort here. It would definitely take only a fragment of the time most all of us are spending posting here about random other things.

I mean, if taking and processing all those photos already involves "investing a lot of time and work" as Walter says, then does it really make that much difference to add another half a minute on a PM for a 'conytroversial' one? Wouldnt it be basic courtesy?
0 Replies