Posting photos of A2K members: let's talk about guidelines.

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:03 am
I do not know if someone mentioned this already but Walter was very open at the Chicago gathering about his picture taking. His camera is a large one. Everyone probably knew when their picture was being taken. Many of us talked to Walter on the general subject of posting photos on A2K. I may have made a mistake by telling Walter that A2Kers were asking to see photos from the gathering. Walter told me that when it comes to actually posting photos, he is very selective and sensitive about how A2Kers feel about personal photos.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Too bad Walter wasn't on Wrigley Field when the Cubs went down 10-5 Razz

I may have been slightly less than fantastic that day. But still pretty damned good.

Oh, it was a tragic expression worthy of a Rodin to portray it. But Rodin is dead and Walter is right next in line, so ...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:05 am
The only reason I don't like my photo to be posted is because I can't handle the volume of requests for sex which inevitably follow.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:30 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Post as many photos of me as you like, Walter. I can't understand people who say they don't photograph well. I do, and I always look fantastic!

wandeljw wrote:
[Walter] is very selective and sensitive about how A2Kers feel about personal photos.

Since Joe so kindly asked for it ...

http://i4.tinypic.com/10gi3k0.jpg

It's a good example how sensitive I am: Joe asked for such anattractive photo, the waitress had nothing against being photographed, I've cut of the person besides Joe so nobody can recognise that it is E., no-one sees T. eating like a horse, M. pick her nose, B. grin like a Cheshire cat ... And I will be as silent as a grave about all that Laughing

(And I even didn't show the pic but only gave a link, not using A2K's bandwidth too much! :wink: )
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:31 am
CJ, you misunderstood my post. I agree with you that European women are far less inhibited about nudity than American women. I wish American women could be more like European women in that respect, but we are not, for the most part, unless we are in our twenties or thirties. It's too bad, but that doesn't change the fact that American women are more sensitive to bad photos of themselves. Hopefully that will change over the years, but it won't on this thread.

My post was done in a typically American woman way, jokingly. It would never be taken seriously by an American woman. We aren't quite as literal as that. By joking about the changes our faces and bodies go through, it becomes a way of coping with the changes and accepting that that's just the way it goes. We really do accept and often value those changes.

Also, I tend to start making jokes when things get tense. I have gotten into trouble for that all my life. Sorry, I admit it was inappropriate. It is also why I seldom participate in threads where the posters start becoming combative. You'd think I'd learn after all these years.

Thomas, you are quite right. That statement was far too abrupt and inaccurate. Walter and ehBeth are two of my favorite people and as I reread what I had posted I was struck by how it would sound to someone else and that I would have found the same reply about me quite offensive.

I really shouldn't post on a thread such as this. I know I have a right to express my opinion, but I really don't have the skill to do it well.

As for my last post, you'd think that I would have learned while I was still a young girl that jokes are often not taken in the same vein as which they were written.

There have been some excellent ideas posted here. I do hope that a2kers don't feel comfortable about coming to meetings because of privacy issues. Ego is one thing, but privacy must always be respected. I Think there have been suggestions posted here that would resolve that issue without being too much to ask of the photographers or of the other participants.

Most important, the meetings we have had have been something that most of us will value for the rest of our lives. This is such an incredible bunch of people, that it would be devastating to think that meetings would be less well attended because of privacy or, especially, ego issues.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:32 am
the prince wrote:
The only reason I don't like my photo to be posted is because I can't handle the volume of requests for sex which inevitably follow.

And why do want me to send you royalities for my The Prince On Postcard Service?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:35 am
Oh my gosh, Joe From Chicago, you are right up there in studmuffinsville with Sublime. What a group.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:35 am
Hoboy, still a deep anticyclone in that cup of mine. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:41 am
Thanks for detailing that, Thomas, Walter too. So that was how it fit together. Like I wrote, I hadnt "understood so far if that were the case here", I was going on Diane's post and having seen Osso post a link to a place where the picture still was, and it seemed a reasonable enough point that was being ignored in the coupla posts I responded to. Caching, yes, of course, that would explain it.

Anyway, thanks, and yeah like in the Politics thread I guess it does pay off when someone digs in and specifies, I mean it was an extra on your part Thomas but appreciated I'm sure.

CalamityJane wrote:
Looks like you're looking for a scape goat here, nimh.

Question Now I'm looking for a scapegoat? Whatf*ckingever. I wasnt even part of it, and asked the Q purely on the basis of what Diane had said and the link Osso had given, cos it had seemed a fair enough point to me, and hadnt, I dont think, been addressed yet.

Plus I actually also added that I hadnt really gotten what had happened here on that count, myself. But I thought it was a valid enough request, and the McT/JoeNation/Thomas posts I reacted to, which had been going like, "speak up beforehand or forever hold your mouth", werent addressing that. That was about that, wasnt blaming anyone.

<shakes head> What a ridiculous reaction.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:23 am
joefromchicago wrote:

Post as many photos of me as you like, Walter. I can't understand people who say they don't photograph well. I do, and I always look fantastic!

Yes, Walter, please do post as many photos of Joe as you like. :wink: As to not understanding people who say they don't photograph well, trust me, some people don't photograph well. There are those of us who simply do not transfer as well as we'd like from three dimensions down to two. I must admit that Walter's last picture of me on the Announcements thread is one of the best I've ever seen (thanks Walter). Whether a negative reaction is due to vanity, ego, pride, or reality doesn't much matter if it causes discomfort. No one needs to be entertained at the expense (perceived or otherwise) of another member.

Personally, I saw the photo of osso and didn't have the same reaction she did at all. My reaction is irrelevant; hers is really the only one that matters. I'm 1000% sure that Walter had no intention of posting a picture he felt was unflattering. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder and osso was justified in asking a picture she saw as unflattering be removed (as it was).

Walter, I'm sorry you have responded the way you have. You're obviously very talented and I hope you reconsider your position on photographing people at future gatherings. I think the discussion generated has been positive, the results on this particular photo acceptable to both parties (no?), and plenty of time before the next meet for feelings to settle.

Now, let's get back to more pictures of Joe!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:24 am
Diane wrote:
Oh my gosh, Joe From Chicago, you are right up there in studmuffinsville with Sublime. What a group.

Studmuffinsville, IL. Population: 2.

Thanks, Diane. And I've always had a thing for women in nun's habits. Must be due to my strict Catholic upbringing.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:24 am
I would like to see more pictures of J_B please.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:25 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would like to see more pictures of J_B please.

Well, you just get your fanny over here and take some!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:44 am
J_B wrote:

Personally, I like this one a lot.

http://i4.tinypic.com/zxmosj.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:49 am
Diane wrote:
Most important, the meetings we have had have been something that most of us will value for the rest of our lives. This is such an incredible bunch of people, that it would be devastating to think that meetings would be less well attended because of privacy or, especially, ego issues.

Yes
Well said, Reverend Mother
Who could disagree with that
Not me anyway nohow
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:59 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Diane wrote:

Studmuffinsville, IL. Population: 2.

Joe, don't you think it's arrogant to leave out me! Smile
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:11 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Diane wrote:
...Joe From Chicago, you are right up there in studmuffinsville...

Yes. Had I known that in advance, I would have tried harder to get to Chicago that weekend.

Damn it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:19 am
Synonymph wrote:
Diane wrote:
...Joe From Chicago, you are right up there in studmuffinsville...

Yes. Had I known that in advance, I would have tried harder to get to Chicago that weekend.

Damn it.

Careful Syn, I'm not getting in line this time Cool
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:29 am
J_B, that's fair. And you have the proximity.

Oh, he's not a slab of meat. This could be inappropriate.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:30 am
J_B wrote:
J_B wrote:

Personally, I like this one a lot.

See, that's what I'm talking about -- I look fantastic!

Of course, I'm not really that orange in real life. I think my skin normally has more of a yellow-greenish tinge.
0 Replies