Corruption as an issue in the 2006 US elections

plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:03 am
Republicans need no help: they smear themselves.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Tue 27 Jun, 2006 05:03 pm
And Dems keep losing.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 05:19 pm
SierraSong wrote:
And Dems keep losing.

As long as there are folks like Harris in Florida, they do.

John Kerry said something to the effect, "If Al Gore had been inaugurated and not just elected . . . "

Well, then there would have been no war in Iraq and we would be taking action -- as we should -- to alleviate global warming.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 12:20 am
I don't think Plain Ol Me read my post. Could those "cute"glasses she has on be bothering her vision?

I read the link given by Mr. Parados in an attempt to smear Republican OFFICE HOLDERS. The link mentions only ONE Republican Office holder- Rep. Tom De Lay who has resigned his leadership post after being indicted. Indictment, as anyone who followed the indictment of President WIlliam Jefferson Clinton knows, is not a sentence of guilty.

The rest of the people mentioned in the article referenced by Mr. Parados are not, I repeat are not, Republican OFFICE HOLDERS. The people mentioned , Daniel Lopin, John Kartch, Ralph Reed, Amy Ridenour and Grover Nordquist ARE NOT people elected to office as a Republican by the people of the United States----yet, Mr.Parados slyly says--"The GOP loves to funnel money through tax exempt organizations"

Another exaggeration and distortion from Mr. Parados!!!!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 29 Jun, 2006 07:04 am
Bernie,
Repeating your post 4 times doesn't make it true.
What would make it true is if only members of Congress could be GOP members.

However that isn't true. Staff members of Congress people belong to the GOP. (The story mentions they got trips to the Marianis Islands.) Ralph Reed is running as a GOP candidate. Grover Norquist was a member of the college Republicans with Reed and Karl Rove.

I never mentioned "office holders". I said "It seems the GOP loves to funnel money through tax exempt organizations."

If you wish to persist in your lying. Go ahead.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:35 am
Another Democrat bites the dust for corruption
Democratic ex-Governor Don Siegelman convicted for bribery...looks like democrats strategy of nailing repubs with a "culture of corruption" is increasingly ineffective...

Source
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 01:10 pm
Only if you believe that the ratio of crooked republicans should be 7 for every crooked democrat.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 02:25 pm
rabel 22- When the Republicans have a President IMPEACHED as the Democrats did and when the Republicans have a National Security Director go into the secret files and remove them without permission and then be convicted for it like Sandy Berger did and when the Republican first lady extorts money from Tyson so that her bets are covered on both sides in her one year of cattle future trading so that her $1,000 becomes $100,000, then we will have crooked Republicans.

I must inform you, rabel22, that the US voter must really be stupid to vote for all those Crooked Republicans in the Senate in 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2004.

That is how long the Republicans have held the House and Senate!

Are the voters just dumb voting for "crooks" or do the voters consider the Clintons to be "bigger" crooks?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
plainoldme wrote:
SierraSong wrote:
And Dems keep losing.

As long as there are folks like Harris in Florida, they do.

John Kerry said something to the effect, "If Al Gore had been inaugurated and not just elected . . . "

Well, then there would have been no war in Iraq and we would be taking action -- as we should -- to alleviate global warming.

So,you are saying that Gore would have done nothing after the attacks of 9?11?

I know Iraq wasnt involved in that,but you apparently think that we wouldnt have gone into Afghanistan either.

As for global warming,What are the countries of Europe doing about it now?
What is China doing about it?

Why do you think its up to the US alone to solve the problem?

Of course,we can also say that if Gore had been elected,taxes would have doubled,inflation would have skyrocketed,unemployment would be in double digits,the dollar would be worthless,and we would all be told what kind of vehicle we could drive.

Also,if Roosevelt hadnt been elected,WW2 would never have happened.

See,I can make the same kind of stupid claims as you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 08:06 pm
How many times do some people have to be told?

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11
Did you miss this Mm?

Quote:

Well, then there would have been no war in Iraq
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 09:50 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Put the Democrats in power and the numbers flip.

What that assumption ignores is that the poll numbers listed above are not y'r usual party-in-power numbers. You can quickly check that by looking at the plus/minus numbers compared to even just a few months ago. Even just last January, the perception that the Republicans were the more corrupt wasnt as marked as it is now.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Notice the poll didn't ask whether or not those polled believed the Democrats to be a party of integrity.

Hm.

Well, there's this poll below. And conveniently enough, it was held both last January, with Bush and the Republicans in power (but before the latest slide in the image of the Republicans in this respect) - and in July 1994, when Clinton and the Democrats were in power.

It doesnt make it look like your assertion that, "Put the Democrats in power and the numbers flip", holds any water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey
conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International.
Jan. 4-8, 2006. N=1,503 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Please tell me if you think the phrase I read better describes the Republican Party and its leaders or the Democratic Party and its leaders.
Which party do you think is better described by the phrase [see below]?"

"Governs in an honest and ethical way"

January 2006

30% Republican Party
37% Democratic Party
33% Both Equally (vol.) / Neither (vol.) / Unsure

July 1994

32% Republican Party
35% Democratic Party
33% Both Equally (vol.) / Neither (vol.) / Unsure

These polls are meaningless. The results are all within margins of error.

At both times, one third of those polled believe both parties are equally honest or equally corrupt.

The other two thirds are pretty well split down the middle.

Actually these polls prove my point that the public doesn't see all that much difference between the parties when it comes to honesty and corruption.

No doubt if we looked we could find other polls that said essentially the same thing put gave Republicans a 2 or 3 percentage point advantage.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 10:34 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It's a foregone conclusion that the elite media in America is not prepared to focus on what, journalistically, is a great story: A congressman is video-taped accepting a bribe, and the money is found in his freezer! Why wasn't that a front page headline before the FBI searched his office?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that it came to light because the video-taped evidence was used in the affidavit to get the search warrant. So nobody knew about it until they used it to get the warrant to search his office. I agree that it's a great story.

It's a great story and yet it didn't get a quarter of the coverage in the mainstream media as the Delay issues. Now to be fair, Delay is five times the national figure that Jefferson is, but finding 90 grand in a guy's freezer? Come on.

The only way the story got coverage was when Pelosi tried to make a political point by shafting Jefferson. Thus mainstream media got to report: Yeah Dem Jefferson is a dirt bag, but Dem Leader Pelosi would have none of it (even if he is black!)

Good fun.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 12:43 am
Massa
You need to read up on that impeachment. As usual you have misinterpated what you read.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 01:32 am
rabel22 wrote:
Massa
You need to read up on that impeachment. As usual you have misinterpated what you read.

Massa?

That impeachment?

Misinterpated?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 03:30 pm
The fact of the matter is that, starting in 1994, the Republican congress made a decision to ring every possible dollar from lobbyists. This, of course, meant that the government was sold out to the clients of those lobbyists. There is tremendous evidence supporting this.

Unfortunately, the voting public doesn't read or watch anything political, and is unaware of the tremendous corruption that is pervasive in the Republican party.

With Abramoff and others talking, we are going to get a great deal more evidence of the above. I hope someone is listening.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 05:00 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If you want to talk about Fletcher,thats fine.
I live here,and my personal opinion of him is that he isnt as sharp as a bowling ball,and doesnt have the brains God gave a rock.
He is worthless,not able to get anything done,and generally a useless waste of skin.

Other then that,he's ok.

Rolling Eyes Neither does BUSH! Dumb, as a POST!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:47 am
Mystery -- The only reason there was a 9-11 was because bush was in the WH. Besides, I'm one of those many people who think the CIA was responsible for 9-11.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:10 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Mystery -- The only reason there was a 9-11 was because bush was in the WH. Besides, I'm one of those many people who think the CIA was responsible for 9-11.

So all the planning that went on during the Clinton admin,all the money that was spent on plans and logistics,all the flight training that went on,all of that would have been for naught if Gore had won?

The terrorists would have said that since Gore won,"we dont want to attack now"!!!

GRow up!!!

If it wouldnt have happened if Gore had won,then why and how were they able to plan the whole thing and not get caught,during the CLINTON ADMIN.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 04:22 pm
A President Gore would have heeded the very strong warnings about the possible attacks by airplane. Bush was oblivious to all warnings of terrorism, as well as the terrorism action plan left for Bush by Clinton. I think that 9/11 would have been prevented.

Bush was too busy planning an invasion of Iraq. Moreover, the planning began before he even won the first election.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 05:09 pm
Advocate wrote:
A President Gore would have heeded the very strong warnings about the possible attacks by airplane. Bush was oblivious to all warnings of terrorism, as well as the terrorism action plan left for Bush by Clinton. I think that 9/11 would have been prevented.

Bush was too busy planning an invasion of Iraq. Moreover, the planning began before he even won the first election.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies