Corruption as an issue in the 2006 US elections

parados

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:07 pm
http://www.bls.gov/cps/minwage2002tbls.htm

The majority are NOT teenagers. Only 28% are teenagers.

47% of those earning min wage are over the age of 25.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:18 pm
0 Replies

Dghs48

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 10:36 am
Why not just raise the minimum waqge4 to $50 an hour and wipe out poverty? Lyndon Johnson would be proud.

An alternative might be for the government to get out of the way and let the market decide wages.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 11:46 am
Bernard, and your point is ...[?]
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 02:46 am
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 08:17 am
Bernard, your piece refers to "our analysis" of census data. Who is "our?"
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:36 am
Testimony before the US House of Representatives----\

The Economic Effects of the Minimum Wage
by Paul Kersey
Testimony

May 3, 2004 | |

Testimony of

Paul Kersey

Bradley Visiting Fellow

Before the House of Representatives; Small Business Committee; Subcommittee on Workforce, Empowerment, and Government Programs

Regarding

0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 11:49 am
Since Bernard seems incapable of citing his sources, here it is.
I mistakenly thought that someone of his capacity would not try to pass off the research of others as his own, as he so frequently does.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 01:53 pm
Quote:
For AK Scandal Company, Money Can't Buy Happiness -- But Influence? Perhaps.
By Justin Rood - September 1, 2006, 12:16 PM
When FBI agents raided the offices of Alaska Senate President Ben Stevens and five other legislators, they were looking for evidence of improper ties between those state lawmakers and a company called VECO Corp.

That left some scratching their heads. What's VECO?

Based in Alaska, the privately-owned, non-union company deals primarily in petroleum and petroleum-related services; its estimated revenue in 2004 was $500 million, and it employs around 5,000 people worldwide. That's small by oil megacorporation standards, but it's big in Alaska, where the company has been called "a titan in the Alaskan oil industry."

VECO has over two dozen subsidiaries, but it likes to spend money on influence. It's the top campaign contributor to both Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R) and its congressman, Don Young (R).

And although it's only the second-biggest contributor to Sen. Ted Stevens (R), with over $70,000 in donations to the senior senator from VECO employees (according to FECInfo.com), it keeps close ties to Stevens in other ways.

For one, it's dumped $25,000 into his "Northern Lights" political action committee. The company also paid his state Senator son, Ben (he of the raided office) over $200,000 for various reported purposes, including lobbying his father. What's more, the son of VECO president Pete Lethard was reported to work for Stevens in Washington, D.C.

Also, the company briefly owned the Anchorage Times; in 1992 it shut the paper down, and switched to funding a half-page of editorials in the Anchorage Daily News. The section, called "Voice of the Times," is reportedly devoted to "conservative," "pro-industry" views.
http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/001455.php
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 03:37 pm
B, that smacks of bigtime corruption. I hope the pols in Alaska pay a big price in that matter. Thanks!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 03:50 am
Candidone1 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since Bernard seems incapable of citing his sources, here it is.
I mistakenly thought that someone of his capacity would not try to pass off the research of others as his own, as he so frequently does.

I AM VERY MUCH AFRAID THAT CANDIDONE IS UNABLE TO READ SINCE IN THE PARAGRAPH JUST ABOVE HIS POST I LISTED MY SOURCE>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testimony before the US House of Representatives----\

by Paul Kersey
Testimony

May 3, 2004 | |

Testimony of

Paul Kersey

Bradley Visiting Fellow

Before the House of Representatives; Small Business Committee; Subcommittee on Workforce, Empowerment, and Government Programs

Regarding

Is Candidone also suffering from the hypoxic effects of having stents placed in his chest after he had a heart attack?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:27 am
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 02:57 pm
blueflame -- It looks like Cheney and Kuhl have a lot in common.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
I guess Kuhl believes in the right to bear arms. OSD is probably an admirer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:40 am
What a disgusting crowd these people are.

Quote:
link
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
Blatham, that is an important piece, which should be proclaimed in newspaper headlines. Note that the agency is headed by a former industry lobbyist.

The number of lobbyists in Washington doubled between 2000 and 2005, to 35,000. The government is bought and paid for.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:26 pm
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 10:48 am
blatham wrote:
What a disgusting crowd these people are.

link

Quote:

Which disgusting crowd do you refer to? Those incompetent fools of the Clinton administration who created the mess? Or the fools of the Bush administration who failed to correct the mistakes of the previous administration? While both should be faulted, the Clinton administration clearly deserves the greatest recriminations.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 09:38 pm
Silk, so your view is that if Clinton did it then it is OK for Bush and the other Republicans.

Wow!
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 05:45 am
Advocate wrote:
Silk, so your view is that if Clinton did it then it is OK for Bush and the other Republicans.

Wow!

Advocate,

I said no such thing. In fact, I specifically stated that "both should be faulted..." Are you arguing that the sleeping watchdog should be more harshly punished than the burglar? Double Wow!
0 Replies