Let's Help GWB and Rove Out With Their Propoganda

old europe

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:06 am
BernardR wrote:
Donald Rumsfeld has ruled that the prisoners in Guantanamo do not fall under the terms of the Geneva Convention.

Quite interesting. I always thought the USA were a democracy. A place where a Secretary of Defense can "rule" on the terms of the Geneva Convention sounds more like a banana republic.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:47 am
BernardR wrote:
DO NOT FALL UNDER THE PROTECTION OF THE GENEVA CONVENTION.quote]

how about the protection of common decency? Oh wait...other countries have treated people, including Americans, horribly so that means it's acceptable for us to do so.

I guess that means that if Hitler jumped off a bridge then george bush, and certainly you Bernard, would too.

I wish my grandmother were still alive to know that question had finally been answered.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:17 am
This administration believes in morels, and treats us accordingly. Personally, I do not like being treated like a morel: kept in the dark and fed on horsesh... er... manure.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:06 pm
BernardR wrote:
Well, I might agree with you about my humanity but since I knew Eugene Armstrong, who was beheaded by the murderous and savage Islamo-Fascists in Iraq, I have become a bit less tolerant of the savages.

So the men in Guantanamo committed that atrocity? Charge them.
BernardR wrote:

I am sure that you know that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has declared that since the prisoners in Guantanamo do not meet some of the qualifications laid down in the Geneva Convention( eg, Uniforms, Falling under the legal command of a superior officer, etc) the Prisoners in Guantanamo are not covered by that act.

OK - then they are criminals or spies. Charge them.

BernardR wrote:

I guess that the savage treatment given to those poor souls in Guantanamo, who receive better Muslim diets than they did at home, will just have to bear with it.

So if I lock you up, deprive of your freedom but feed you wel I can stuff human rights? You do realise that one of the inmates is Australian, and, as the second fattest nation on earth, we eat quite well.

BernardR wrote:

Check out the great diets the American prisoners taken by the Japanese in the Phillipines received.

OK, now I've got it, the Guantanamo Bay inmates arranged the food in Japanese POW camps in the Phillipines in WW2. Charge them.

BernardR wrote:
Again, the courts will decide. Until then, it will stay as it is.

That's all I'm asking for - the courts to decide on what ever crimes they have committed. 5 years without a case, and most haven't even been charged. I'm unalloyedly envious of your justice system.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:48 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
BernardR wrote:

how about the protection of common decency? Oh wait...other countries have treated people, including Americans, horribly so that means it's acceptable for us to do so.

I guess that means that if Hitler jumped off a bridge then george bush, and certainly you Bernard, would too.

I wish my grandmother were still alive to know that question had finally been answered.

While riding on the subway this morning, at about the time you posted this, Bear, these very words came into my head

: How about common decency?

Hasn't America, at it's very core, stood for decency? "...That all men", not just Americans, but all, "are created equal"? The greatest internal struggle of these United States was the battle for the equality imbodied first in the above phrase and then, for Americans only, in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. And haven't we stood as some kind of imperfect, but struggling to succeed, example of how the various people of the world can be brought together in one union? Have we lost that? Have we given that up out of fear?

How can we walk out into the wider world knowing that the rest of the nations see us and say not "Here come the Americans! Thank goodness" but "Here come the Americans! Stay quiet! They torture, they kidnap, they imprison without sentence or charge until you die without hope."

Joe(My Country, tis of thee, I weep for)Nation
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:50 pm
Joe, you are absolutely right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:58 pm
hingehead wrote:
BernardR wrote:
Well, I might agree with you about my humanity but since I knew Eugene Armstrong, who was beheaded by the murderous and savage Islamo-Fascists in Iraq, I have become a bit less tolerant of the savages.

So the men in Guantanamo committed that atrocity? Charge them.
BernardR wrote:

I am sure that you know that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has declared that since the prisoners in Guantanamo do not meet some of the qualifications laid down in the Geneva Convention( eg, Uniforms, Falling under the legal command of a superior officer, etc) the Prisoners in Guantanamo are not covered by that act.

OK - then they are criminals or spies. Charge them.

BernardR wrote:

I guess that the savage treatment given to those poor souls in Guantanamo, who receive better Muslim diets than they did at home, will just have to bear with it.

So if I lock you up, deprive of your freedom but feed you wel I can stuff human rights? You do realise that one of the inmates is Australian, and, as the second fattest nation on earth, we eat quite well.

BernardR wrote:

Check out the great diets the American prisoners taken by the Japanese in the Phillipines received.

OK, now I've got it, the Guantanamo Bay inmates arranged the food in Japanese POW camps in the Phillipines in WW2. Charge them.

BernardR wrote:
Again, the courts will decide. Until then, it will stay as it is.

That's all I'm asking for - the courts to decide on what ever crimes they have committed. 5 years without a case, and most haven't even been charged. I'm unalloyedly envious of your justice system.

I believe said Australian has now, fortunately for him, been declared to be British, and thus likely to be released soon, since the Brits are not so spineless in ensuring their citizens are not maltreated by the USA as Australia is.

Of course, the downside is that, although free, he will not eat so well.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:03 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
BernardR wrote:

While riding on the subway this morning, at about the time you posted this, Bear, these very words came into my head

: How about common decency?

Hasn't America, at it's very core, stood for decency? "...That all men", not just Americans, but all, "are created equal"? The greatest internal struggle of these United States was the battle for the equality imbodied first in the above phrase and then, for Americans only, in the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. And haven't we stood as some kind of imperfect, but struggling to succeed, example of how the various people of the world can be brought together in one union? Have we lost that? Have we given that up out of fear?

How can we walk out into the wider world knowing that the rest of the nations see us and say not "Here come the Americans! Thank goodness" but "Here come the Americans! Stay quiet! They torture, they kidnap, they imprison without sentence or charge until you die without hope."

Joe(My Country, tis of thee, I weep for)Nation

well it's nice to know I'm not the only geen-yus on these boards....
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:05 pm
Decency does not mean you must committ suicide. If you turn the other cheek and the savage Islamo-Fascist decapitates you, you will never be able to more your cheek again. Those who refer to legal mores for an answer are reminded that the Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If Donald Rumsfeld is violating the law, he should be removed. He will probably stay on until the end of 2008. I am stunned that people will not understand that although President Clinton was impeached, he was not removed from office.

The prisoners in Guantanamo are not covered by the Geneva Convention. Those who think they are should go to the courts to have them rule on the issue. If and when the courts rule that the prisoners in Guantanamo are covered by the Geneva Convention, then they will have those rights.

Pious phraseology does not take the place of the "rule of law"!!!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:10 pm
The "left wing" has the incredible "Chutzpah" to refer to "Decency" after its leader violated all standards of decency in the Oval Office of the President of the United States.

As Richard A. Posner commented in his book, an Affair of State--

"For those who think that authority depends on mystery, the shattering of the presidential mystique has been a disaster for which Clinton ought to have paid with his job"

Decency--The leader of the liberals in the United States, Bill Clinton, showed absolutely no "decency".

He was the President who lowered the "decency" bar into the muck.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:11 pm
who did you blame for everything prior to Bill Clinton? Your mommy?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:12 pm
BernardR wrote:

That's all I'm asking for - rule of law - I'm not asking for the Geneva Convention to be applied - do you read/comprehend anything that wanders outside your box of preconceptions?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:29 pm
hingehead wrote:
BernardR wrote:

That's all I'm asking for - rule of law - I'm not asking for the Geneva Convention to be applied - do you read/comprehend anything that wanders outside your box of preconceptions?

You are not asking for the GC to be applied?
Thats good,because under the GC the prisoners in Gitmo are subject to military tribunals,and NOT civil trials.

Of course,by not asking for the GC to be applied,you are admitting that they are not entitled to POW status.
So,if they are not protected by the GC,then what laws do protect them?

They are on Cuban soil,so does Cuban law apply?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Come on, everybody knows--President Bush has a clear strategy for victory in Iraq--that the man can't find his ass with both hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/d698b9be.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:

You are not asking for the GC to be applied?
Thats good,because under the GC the prisoners in Gitmo are subject to military tribunals,and NOT civil trials.

Of course,by not asking for the GC to be applied,you are admitting that they are not entitled to POW status.
So,if they are not protected by the GC,then what laws do protect them?

They are on Cuban soil,so does Cuban law apply?

OK you tell me which laws apply.

I just want some sort of fair judicial process to be initiated. Holding people without charge clearly contravenes what the US promotes it stands for and certainly what your founding fathers intended when they wrote the constitution.

So what should happen to them?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:47 pm
BernardR wrote:
The "left wing" has the incredible "Chutzpah" to refer to "Decency" after its leader violated all standards of decency in the Oval Office of the President of the United States.

As Richard A. Posner commented in his book, an Affair of State--

"For those who think that authority depends on mystery, the shattering of the presidential mystique has been a disaster for which Clinton ought to have paid with his job"

Decency--The leader of the liberals in the United States, Bill Clinton, showed absolutely no "decency".

He was the President who lowered the "decency" bar into the muck.

No the asskissing Republican controlled & owned media are the ones who lowered the decency bar into muck. Then along comes Chicken George who has the morals of a monkey in heat, brings his male prostitute, Jeff Gannon, into the White House and it's all ok with you silly things because he didn't get his ' blow job' in the oval office............. at least we don't think he did.

Who knows with all the secrets in this shyster administration?!?!

No matter what Clinton did...... a personal affair that was none of your damn business.... it could not touch on the obscenities coming from this gang of male prostituting, Hookergating crooks who couldn't tell the truth if their miserable lives depended on it & from the looks of recent news will ffffffk anything that slows down for more than a minute.

Family values, my arse. These heathens make Revelations look like heaven on earth in comparison.

0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:12 am
I stand in awe at the previous post. The logic and style is impeccable. We need more posts such as the last one. They truly advance the purpose of these threads--rational discourse!
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:24 am
Hingehead asks for "some sort of fair judicial process to be initiated"

Why so vague? You admit you are not asking that the Geneva Convention be applied. As I pointed out, it would not be applicable to the prisoners in Guantanamo.

As Mysteryman indicated, then(If no GC application) they are not entitled to POW status.

And as for the founding fathers who wrote the constitution---They made it clear that the constitution applied to--

ARTICLE XIV _Section 1-

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States,and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside."

I am not aware whether any of the prisoners held in Gitmo are citizens of the United States but if they are they may surely fall under Article III, Section III--"Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them"

Therefore, the prisoners in Gitmo( if not covered by the GC and there is strong evidence that they are not, are not covered by the Constitution since they are not citizens.

If they are citizens and have warred against the US, they may be subject to the charge of treason.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:42 am
BernardR wrote:

If they are citizens and have warred against the US, they may be subject to the charge of treason.

Then f**king charge them.

Are you saying the US can imprison any foreign national for as long as they want without charge?

What happened to 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...'

Your blindness to the fact that imprisonment without charge is a 'bad thing' stuns, amazes and apalls me.

PS the Japanese responsible for the Philipine atrocities had their day in court too.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:06 am
I am very much afraid that you did not read my previous post- The US Constitution was written to protect the citizens of the United States. When the US is at war, the Geneva Convention applies,but only to those who are uniformed and under a hierarchy of known leaders who are ultimately responsible for the soldiers under their command. The Terrorists at Gitmo do not fall under those rubrics.

You may be aware that in World War II, three German Saboteurs landed on US shores by Submarine. They were discovered, tried and executed.

Why?

They were not covered by the GC since they were not uniformed!
0 Replies