i'm just gonna go ahead and say it...

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
Rough time of year here in The Northwoods ... deer season's over, not enough snow for skis or snowmobiles, ice ain't thick enough for fishin', and its too early for Christmas parties - not much to do at all.

Nice day today, though; bright & sunny, and the thermometer may even get above 20 - haven't seen that for a while.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
That's what we call freezing cold weather, Set.

We get some of that here, but not very often.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
Do you ever have weather so cold, Lord, that you can take a glass of hot water, open the door and throw the contents outside and watch it instantly turn to powder and drift gently toward the ground?

That's the kind of **** I deal with. It ain't pretty.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
It does get that cold here - but it rarely lasts more than a couple weeks. One thing I've noticed, havin' a buncha dogs; the colder it gets, the closer to the house the yellow snow gets.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
In North America, LE, we speak of what we consider to be truly cold weather as "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 09:28 am
Setanta wrote:
No offense, LE, but folks in the British Isles who live south of the Scots Highlands have no idea what cold weather is...

I will say that having grown up in truly-cold Minnesota (yes, I've seen the glass of water thing), the coldest I've EVER been was the winter I spent in London. Part of that was my cheap hosts -- thermostat was turned down way further than I was used to (and I was used to mid-60's), and I was constantly cold even in the house. The other part was the damp. I think that's what LE means about dry cold. This was wet cold and it was horrible. Pervaded everything. For a few hours overnight with blankets heaped on me I was somewhat warm -- the rest of the time, even if I layered every item of clothing I brought with me and topped it with an enormous wool scarf I was just perpetually miserable. I gained a deep understanding of the British love of tea that winter.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 09:59 am
timber wrote:
the colder it gets, the closer to the house the yellow snow gets.

that reminds me of something my grammar school gym teacher once taught us:

[i]"don't eat the yellow snow, ya morons!!"[/i]

of all the things i've been told to do or not do in my life, this is the one piece of advice i've heeded all these years...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:45 am
I'll miss Set when he moves to Ireland.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:38 pm
Cold ? You wanna talk cold?

(Isn't it about time for some "How cold was it?" one-liners?)

When I lived up there in Cow Hampshire it got so cold sometimes you couldn't hear each other speaking. That's right: the words froze the moment they left your mouth. You had to light a fire or, at least, a torch to thaw them out so they'd be audible again.

Go ahead. Top THAT.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:53 pm
I don't like the cold--and I'm not happy with hot weather, either. My inflexible temperment appreciates temperatures between 50 and 77-78.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:57 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Cold ? You wanna talk cold?

It was so cold the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:49 pm
it was so cold... hitchhikers were holding up pictures of thumbs.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 07:54 pm
it was so cold...I walked back into the cabin and saw that one twin bed was getting in with the other.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:49 pm
so i've worn my heavy coat every damn day this month.

this global warming thing can not happen fast enough...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:53 pm
RP--

Wash your mouth out with soap--or prepare to face an extended August on the Eastern Seaboard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:55 pm
Move toward the equator, RP, and leave the rest of us out of this global warming joy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Move toward the equator, RP, and leave the rest of us out of this global warming joy.

What she said.

It SUCKS!!!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:20 am
Noddy24 wrote:
RP--

Wash your mouth out with soap--or prepare to face an extended August on the Eastern Seaboard.

i just want an increase in average temps, nothing more...

ehBeth wrote:

ecuador, here i come...

dlowan wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

What she said.

It SUCKS!!!!

you might change your mind if you had to walk across the Fort Point Channel bridge, as i just did.
the windchill is 32, and the wind is gusting to ~40mph...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:35 am
The problem is that this:

Region Philbis wrote:

i just want an increase in average temps, nothing more...

and this:

Region Philbis wrote:
you might change your mind if you had to walk across the Fort Point Channel bridge, as i just did.
the windchill is 32, and the wind is gusting to ~40mph...

Have a lot to do with each other.

Global Warming -- the average worldwide temp being higher than it used to be -- also causes various types of weather goofiness.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:37 am
I'm not nearly as fond of RP as I once might have been.
0 Replies