U.S. Anthem in Spanish

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:12 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Is Debra a close personal friend of the president like I am? I think not.

He spoke to me of you the other night, Edgar. Almost with passion. His eyes damn nearly focused and all.

"Ah, Edgar" he said warmly, "a blithe spirit, even if bird he never wert."
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:12 am
Quote:
...we find that experts who are competent to judge--mathematicians, scientists, historians--each in their own departments of learning are usually more correct than the man in the street.."

I asked the President what he thought about this, here an actual transcript of what he said:

George Bush : Heh, heh, I think experts are okay ever onced in awhile but I like to go with my gut. Like you take that stem cell stuff, now all the so-called expert scientists don't like it when I tell them I don't get it. I don't get it why we've got to mess with God's creation. It's so beautiful. So I sure don't listen to the experts on that. And all the history folks got my dad to call me up and "warn me" about going full bore into Iraq, but see, there you are, they're experts and I go with my gut. Just like that global warming, hell, the summer's always seem hotter as you get older, just ask my mom. And don't get me started on New Math.

Joe: And have you ever read anything by Arthur Schlesinger?

George Bush: Who?

Joe: Would you like to say a few words about your clear vision for victory in Iraq?

George Bush: Nope, I've got a whole lot of folks pushing on that pump handle, ask my new press guy, Pretty Boy, he'll tell you.

Joe: Well, I just wanted you to know that we, the American people, are behind you in your heroic efforts to free Iraq from tyranny by a full 32 percent!!

George Bush: Oh, I don't listen to them either.

Joe(Holy Moley)Nation
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:55 am
It's great to see that we're all united by our glorious President's bold and innovative plan for victory in Iraq!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:32 am
blacksmithn wrote:
It's great to see that we're all united by our glorious President's bold and innovative plan for victory in Iraq!

Is there anyway to get this topic on track?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:34 am
We are on track, along with our President, and his visionary plan for victory in Iraq.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:36 am
Indeed, we are on track-- a train track to victory, made possible by the steely resolve and prudent planning of our mighty President. That light at the end of the tunnel is the sunshine of inevitable victory!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:49 am
Setanta wrote:
We are on track, along with our President, and his visionary plan for victory in Iraq.

So you can't partake in the discussion so you have to disrupt the discussion. Your being a typical liberal again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:50 am
You misspelled "you're" . . . fortunately, no such confusion troubles our President, who has a clear plan for victory in Iraq.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:55 am
Speaking of spelling, Iraq and Iran are only one letter apart. Thank goodness we have a President with a bold plan to achieve victory in Iraq! Undoubtedly, he has a similar forthright plan to achieve victory in Iran, should it become necessary.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:27 pm
snood wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
snood wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
More like a squishy turd under my feet.

Now that's lyrical.

This response is precisely why you will never rise to the status of poet.

These things that you say edgar is not - objective, a poet......

Are you these things?

Immaterial snood, but no doubt edgar is grateful for you riding to his rescue.

How is it "material" for you to question his objectivity and creativity, but "immaterial" when I question yours?

You are, of course, free to question my objectivity and literary talents, however such questioning is immaterial to the status of edgar.

Whether or not I am objective or a poet has no bearing on the question of whether or not edgar is.

Playing your silly game, my response would have been: "Are you these things?"

One need not be either objective or poetic to pass judgement on these qualities in others.

Again, I'm sure your chivalric tendencies are appreciated by some, if not edgar, but if you intend to join the battle, try doing do without a dull blade.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:07 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We have thousands upon thousands of Vietnamese here. I don't know the percentage of how many speak English well. I do know that entire areas of many cities have business signs and street signs in Vietnamese. That tells me we have many legal residents and citizens who speak that language and probably little to no English. They are as worthy as other citizens. They have a right to speak any language they choose- -land of the free, remember? As a representative democracy, we try to protect the few from the many, the many from the few. It's an intricate balance. Why f it up over something as inconsequential as this?

Overall, this particular segment of the population (the Vietnamese) have been hugely successful here in Texas. Almost none are on welfare, they have an incredible work ethic and have assimilated wonderfully. I admire them and their efforts and, like you, don't mind the street or store signs that cater to their own. Their places of business that cater to the general public are generally in English (restaurants, stores, nail salons, etc.) and they are gracious and friendly entrepreneurs. Like you, I see them as an asset to our community.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 10:46 pm
I am very much afraid that Joe Nation is not aware that the quote about experts who are competent to judge comes from Dr.Mortimer Adler. I am not certain whether Joe Nation knows who Dr. Adler is. However, after a search, I can find no utterance of the President's that is anything like Joe Nation's presentation.

You are only kidding, right.Joe?

You really should restrict yourself to true stunners, Joe Nation. You know, something that is true, not manufactured. Something like the comment made by William Jefferson Clinton on national TV to the effect--"I never had sexual intercourse with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky"

It might have more of an effect.

For people who deal in reality--not in fantasy as you obviously have.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 04:59 am
Joe Mation's assertions can be verified by going to the following link:
http://www.imputtingyouonandyoubit.com
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 05:42 am
My dear BernardR:

It makes no difference to George Bush if the quote regarding experts comes from Mortimer Adler, remember, George's greatest philosopher of all time is Jesus Christ. So even if Adler (he's the guy who thought that the Great Books, written by mostly European white guys, should be taught in all the US schools. We covered him briefly in Phil 101 in 1966), it wouldn't matter a whit to our esteemed President, his book is the Good Book.

So GWB reads his Scripture and he listens to the voices in his head, not to any experts unless they say something with which he already agrees. You should be like him, I think, and stop reading entirely. It clearly weights on you. Oh, and don't quote something as someone said something to the effect of, it's always imprecise and sometimes misleading. Either quote the person exactly or clearly show that you are writing fiction or satire or humor as I do my best to do.

But, to get back to the thread, even though George has a clear vision for victory in Iraq which you can hear about if you ask anybody connected to the Cabinet including the FDA, he does not know what to do about the recent demands by the Hispanic community.

Joe(he's waiting for the voices to tell him)Nation
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 09:52 am
Joe Nation wrote:
My dear BernardR:

It makes no difference to George Bush if the quote regarding experts comes from Mortimer Adler, remember, George's greatest philosopher of all time is Jesus Christ. So even if Adler (he's the guy who thought that the Great Books, written by mostly European white guys, should be taught in all the US schools. We covered him briefly in Phil 101 in 1966), it wouldn't matter a whit to our esteemed President, his book is the Good Book.

So GWB reads his Scripture and he listens to the voices in his head, not to any experts unless they say something with which he already agrees. You should be like him, I think, and stop reading entirely. It clearly weights on you. Oh, and don't quote something as someone said something to the effect of, it's always imprecise and sometimes misleading. Either quote the person exactly or clearly show that you are writing fiction or satire or humor as I do my best to do.

But, to get back to the thread, even though George has a clear vision for victory in Iraq which you can hear about if you ask anybody connected to the Cabinet including the FDA, he does not know what to do about the recent demands by the Hispanic community.

Joe(he's waiting for the voices to tell him)Nation

He should do nothing if those members are illegal aliens. They are not citizens of the US and there for have no say what happens in this country. If they don't like what immigration does with them they should think twice about breaking the law on many fronts. To be non-citizens and demand rights is such the wrong path it isn't even funny to think about. If they want some change they should stay in their own countries and force change there instead of a country they have broken the law in.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 01:25 am
Joe Nation:

President Bush listens to voices in his head, you say? I find that a ridiculous statement. Unless one has a microphone in one's head, the human ear cannot receive the sound of voices from one's head.

Surely, you are taking "poetic license". You may, of course, be right. Then, again, you may not be.

I always said that William Jefferson Clinton had his brains in his groin until I was challenged by a literalist who told me that was impossible except as an allusion.

Your suggestion that I stop reading entirely, will, I can tell you, not be follwed.I am at a loss to understand what you mean when you tell me that "It clearly weights on you".

I most respectfully suggest that you are the one, sir, who should BEGIN reading--A Dictionary.

I am sure that you should have written- It clearly weighs on you.

Apparently not so heavily that I am not able to spell the word!
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 01:34 am
Someone who shall remain nameless, since his name on abuzz was not the same one he posts under here, who regularly spelled it "cheif", should not complain about other people's spelling, or use it, in lack of anything substantive, to try to score points.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 01:44 am
I didn't know that Joe Nation was also named username.

I am asking Joe Nation to respond to the ridiculous charge that President Bush hears voices in his head.

Perhaps Joe Nation has a link to a approved medical authority who can give evidence of that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 05:26 am
Bernard
Put in a new cartridge. This one's getting old.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 05:49 am
What I need is to take a better look at what the Spellcheck has provided and thereby avoid the weighs-weights controversy, whereas what my multi-personalitied questioner needs is a basic grammar book to tell him that "has a link to a approved medical authority... ." is incorrect.

As to George Bush and the voices in his head: he has said on several occasions that he believes God has called him to the Presidency and that our nation has been called to be the beacon of freedom for the peoples of the world. Do you not believe him? Do you not believe that God calls to us all? Do you not hear His Voice? George does.

Joe(or maybe it was just that thing he was wearing during the debates)Nation
0 Replies