U.S. Anthem in Spanish

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 05:52 am
Ever-body knows that Joe and Edgar is commies . . . i cain't fer the life a me unnerstand why anybody as profoundly insightful and deeply in-tee-lick-chewall as Ital/Massa/Mortkat/Bernard would take 'em seriously.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 03:15 pm
If by Commie, you mean a man who likes his fast food and gas guzzling Ranger, you are correct.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 12:02 am
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 01:17 am
BernardR wrote:

A fine post.

Is it not amazing that pundits and reporters alike had no problem with Clinton evoking the preference of God?

Did we ever hear any objection to the quotes provided?

Of course not, because Clinton was perceived as a Liberal who could use religion to overwhelm the rubes of the Heartland, whereas Bush is perceived as someone who actually believes what the rubes believe.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:15 am
Oh, I think George and Bill are pretty much cut from the same Southern Baptist cloth though I suspect George and George's friends would say he is more dyed in the wool. Bill was and is what used to be known as a speechifier, able to talk without notes before any audience on any subject thrown at him. Which is why he crushed George Sr. in the debates and one of the reasons the two get along so famously now. Listen to Clinton's remarks by the coffin of Coretta Scott King to get some idea of his mastery. Speechifying, and knowing when and how to speak of God's work as our own, are things a politician like Bill must do to hold the great middle of this nation of believers.

That seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George. The rigidity of his faith and ideas do not allow him to reach out to the middle, he expects them to come along. Which is why his numbers have reached the equivalent of the percentage of Evangelicals in this country. They, and he, are holding fast.

But that is not the best way of thinking when you are trying to run a Democratic Republic full of multitudes of people who aren't at all like you.
People like those of the subject of this thread who want to be a part while staying apart.

"John Kenneth Galbraith died on April 29 at age 97, ending one of the most consequential liberal lives of the past century." writes Eric Alterman
in a recent column.

He ends with this:
"And in a moving tribute to his friend and co-conspirator, Arthur Schlesinger Jr. recalled Galbraith observing, "The emancipation of belief is the most formidable of the tasks of reform, the one on which all else depends."

Amen. "

Joe(amen indeed)Nation
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:36 am
Your opinion is interesting, Joe Nation, but you give no evidence to show that "seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George"

Do you have a link or a quote?

Again--the quotes I gave showing Clinton's references to God either reveal Clinton as a egregious hypocrite or a believer in God like George W. Bush. Your comment "seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George" is ridiculous since you have no way to judge the difference of the "depth" of belief betweem Clinton and Bush unless you have an extraordinary ability to read their minds.

I respectfully suggest that you do some research on this subject. Your unsourced comments just do not hold up.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:38 am
Your opinion is interesting, Joe Nation, but you give no evidence to show that "seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George"

Do you have a link or a quote?

Again--the quotes I gave showing Clinton's references to God either reveal Clinton as a egregious hypocrite or a believer in God like George W. Bush. Your comment "seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George" is ridiculous since you have no way to judge the difference of the "depth" of belief betweem Clinton and Bush unless you have an extraordinary ability to read their minds.

I respectfully suggest that you do some research on this subject. Your unsourced comments just do not hold up.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 03:17 am
Quote:

Have you talked with any Southern Baptists lately?

Here try this:
All the President's Books . It a review of some of the best books about the current President many of which I already read and digested. You're free to do the same thing, read, digest and opine.

You're also free to disregard whatever I write for whatever reason, but I've been around the block a few times, I'm not in the habit of bullshitting my way through a sentence. You want me to source everything?
Who died and made you schoolmarm?

Joe(read that review, it will answer some questions for you)Nation
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 03:34 am
No one appointed me 'School marm, Joe Nation, but I have a tendency to disbelieve anything political put forward by a political partisan unless it is sourced. You must forgive my skepticism.

I appreciate your link on the books on the President. Unfortunately, I could not enter the site since I am not registered with that site.

Additionally, I could not possibly look at those books until I review the following again:

The Presidential Difference by Greenstein

An Affair of State by Posner

Bush at War by Bob Woodward

100 People Who Are Screwing Up America by Bernard Goldberg

Shadow by Bob Woodward

Breaking the Deadlock by Posner

Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward

The Truth about Hillary by Edward Klein

and

Spin Cycle by Howard Kurtz

These are books in my personal library.

I would respectfully suggest that you reference your sources and I will reference mine. I could never read Franken anyway. His writing is execrable!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:32 am
Bill ClintonC.I.A.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 03:39 am
I congratulate you on your library- You do have those books, don't you, Joe Nation.
It is clear that you will be able to debate using those books.

Are you ready? I am!!!

Can you get evidence--proof--from any of those books with regard to your statement --"That seems somehow wrong to deep believers like George".

I am curious as to how anyone reached that conclusion.

I don't think anyone did. I think it is just an unsourced opinion of yours based on partisan politics.

Do you have a source for that comment? If not, I do understand!!!!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:54 am
The senate is debating a bill that would make English the national language. This raises the question of whether Bush is too old to learn English.
0 Replies