U.S. Anthem in Spanish

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:28 pm
Now, to return to the main topic of the thread-
I partially agree with JL Nobody,but there may be a problem. When the words to National Anthems are changed, some people take offense. I do not think one would dare to sing the Iranian National Anthem with changed words in a mosque filled with the Iranian faithful, but then we are the most tolerant nation of all, are we not?

Indeed, the Cambridge Factfinder ( under languages) in the section of the United States of America shows the following:

Languages English, large Spanish-speaking minority

This shows an awareness of the large Spanish speaking minority in the USA, but JL Nobody is apparently unaware that, in some cases, a separate language( and culture) in a country does not always bode well for that country's future. Canadians can vouch for the difficulties involved when a minority decides to go its own way with their own language.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:29 pm
Where we will no longer be hated by the haters of our freedom, and freedom and democracy will shine as a beacon for all mankind?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:37 pm
In Iraq, Boss, in Iraq . . . were the resolution and clear vision of President Bush is leading the people to peace, freedom and democracy.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:40 pm
There is a side range of opinion with regard to Immigration. Reasonable men can differ. But there are certain truths which stand out.

I partially agree with JL Nobody,but there may be a problem. When the words to National Anthems are changed, some people take offense. I do not think one would dare to sing the Iranian National Anthem with changed words in a mosque filled with the Iranian faithful, but then we are the most tolerant nation of all, are we not?

Indeed, the Cambridge Factfinder ( under languages) in the section of the United States of America shows the following:

Languages English, large Spanish-speaking minority

This shows an awareness of the large Spanish speaking minority in the USA, but JL Nobody is apparently unaware that, in some cases, a separate language( and culture) in a country does not always bode well for that country's future. Canadians can vouch for the difficulties involved when a minority decides to go its own way with their own language.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:45 pm
If they had the clear vision and resolution of President Bush to lead them, they'd soon find the sunny uplands of peace, freedom and democracy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:48 pm
The history of Canada is different than in the US, bernard. Different emotions involved. No cause to suspect ours will copy theirs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:50 pm
Especially as we can rely upon the leadership and clear vision of President Bush, who is leading us to victory in Iraq.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:55 pm
Mr. Blythe- I am very much afraid that the renown scholar- Arthur Schlesinger Jr. in his highly praised book- "The Disuniting of America" disagrees with you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:00 pm
Schlesinger is a has-been . . . he can't provide the kind of leadership which President Bush is using to lead us to victory in Iraq.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:02 pm
Schlesinger has his own ax to grind. Doesn't make him objective, just wordy.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:41 pm
Schlesinger wrote "The Politics of Upheaval" a highly praised book. At this time, I am unfamiliar with any of your works. Do you have a Vita we can use to compare your works with Schlesinger's?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:39 pm
My works are not political in nature. Why? Does that mean I can't have an opinion that's contrary to yours. He's Schlesinger, not God.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:30 pm
OF course you may have an opinion different from Schlesinger. However, as Mortimer J. Adler has pointed out:

...we find that experts who are competent to judge--mathematicians, scientists, historians--each in their own departments of learning are usually more correct than the man in the street.."

I am so sorry that I find Schlesinger to be a more credible source than you are, Sir!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:50 pm
You can agree with anybody you choose. Don't make either of you correct.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:59 pm
Of course, none of us are correct. As Mortimer Adler( again) has pointed out--"At one extreme, clearly belonging to the sphere of truth, is mathematics and, associated with it, the exact sciences, especially the experimental sciences."

Adler goes on to say, however, that there are topics which can be decided "beyond a reasonable doubt" after all of the evidence is examined.

I offer the writings of Schlesinger as part of the proof which I feel will lead to a conclusion beyond a reasonable doubt in the matter of bilingualism and its effects.

Again, I present Schlesinger as an "expert" given his well known and peer approved expertise.

Is there no expert for the other side, Mr. Blythe?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:01 pm
There well might be. But, I don't intend to spend my time searching for him. You can get as pompous as you like about it, but I have yet to see anything to convince me I could be mistaken.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:17 pm
Speaking of searching, puts me in mind of the search our President has just completed. I'm speaking of the search for victory in Iraq, of course. And I'm pleased as punch, as we all should be, to realize that with his bold vision and powerful will, the President will certainly lead us through the mud and blood of the battlefield to the green fields beyond where victory in Iraq surely waits!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:33 pm
I love President Bush like a brother. I am sure that if he got to know me he would consider me for the next Supreme Court position that comes available.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 09:52 pm
If you are qualified, you may indeed be chosen, Sir. but I am very much afraid that Debra LAW is much more qualified than you are.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:58 am
Is Debra a close personal friend of the president like I am? I think not.
0 Replies