Immigration and Racism in Britain and USA

McTag

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 02:03 am
Well what a horrible story. It's mainly about urban and social dereliction, isn't it. Certainly there are areas of Salford which are worse than the Wild West.
People at the bottom of the heap don't like to see incomers who might be doing better than them.
The solution?
Desperate situations require desperate measures, I fear, but we seem neither to have the funds nor the will to do it.

Story about Salford, which was in the paper last year:
Two hit men went to a pub to murder a targeted victim. But they were chased out and shot dead by the people in the pub, many of whom were armed.
Nice locality.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 03:48 am
Up to a million migrants have gathered in Libya, from where they will attempt to sail across the Mediterranean for Europe and, ultimately, the UK.
New estimates reveal that there are two million migrants massed in the North African country and that half of them plan to sail to the European mainland and travel on to Britain in the hope of building a new life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/immigration/story/0,,2239906,00.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:16 am
I over heard probably 6 or 7 different languages among people in the supermarket yesterday. Then I saw a programme about traffic police who stopped a Romanian guy for violation of seat belt law. He spoke no English so they had to phone a translator to tell him his children must wear belts. A heated argument ensued with the translator. He objected, not about the seat belt law but about being spoken to by a woman.

I dont object to immigrants but the arrival of so many so quickly is obviously causing problems. Meanwhile middle class whites are leaving the country in unprecedented numbers. I make no comment, just observe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:32 am
We don't have such problems here: all foreigners coming to Germany speak our language. :wink:

Steve 41oo wrote:
A heated argument ensued with the translator. He objected, not about the seat belt law but about being spoken to by a woman.

If your Romanian is so good that you could follow this discussion, you'd probably better done it yourself.

On the other hand, some "immigrants" have a 13hrs/1,220 miles ride to get to work in the UK.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:46 am
... Embarrassed thats not strictly true walter...I will admit to speaking English in Germany. But then so do most Germans...thats my problem.

I heard a woman tell how when she lived in Germany she had to pay for translation services, and pay for German classes. As such she

a. learned the language
b. valued being able to speak it.

The government here is proposing free English lessons for immigrants. In the dentists last week, there was a sign in maybe 30 different languages offering advice and help for non-English speakers.

It seems to be a change that has happened very quickly. I can understand why some people, particularly the elderly find it quite bewildering.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:54 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
I heard a woman tell how when she lived in Germany she had to pay for translation services, and pay for German classes. As such she

a. learned the language
b. valued being able to speak it.

The government here is proposing free English lessons for immigrants.

Well, immigrants get it either for free here or for a small fee at the community colleges.

What really makes me wonder is the constant use of the term "immigrant": how do you, the media etc really know that those want to stay in the UK for ever (and become British citizens)?

Of course you can pay more and go to private 'language schools'.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 05:58 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
A heated argument ensued with the translator. He objected, not about the seat belt law but about being spoken to by a woman.
...the woman police officer said this. But she didnt speak Romanian either
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:09 am
I dont know if they want to stay. I used the word "immigrant" because the thread's about immigration. But its a difficult word because some people use it in a racist sense. But how do you best describe such people? They are not on holiday.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 06:10 am
Btw: there are about 300,000 registered Britons living constantly in Spain, and experts estimate that up to three times as many Britons spend a significant part of the year living in Spain.

Germany, which comes second among the EU countries, provides only half as many.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 08:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Btw: there are about 300,000 registered Britons living constantly in Spain, and experts estimate that up to three times as many Britons spend a significant part of the year living in Spain.

Germany, which comes second among the EU countries, provides only half as many.
The Brits living in Spain do so because Spain is a nicer country in which to live. They all own houses over there. I dont know whether Spain regards them as immigrants.

It just illustrates my point that the mix of people remaining in Britain is changing rapidly.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:39 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

That's not a problem, because everybody likes us.

We are welcomed wherever we go.

Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:21 pm
Obviously no Muslims. And perhaps not even Polish:

UK imports top athletes to win 2012 gold
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 01:52 pm
mctag wrote :

Quote:
That's not a problem, because everybody likes us.

We are welcomed wherever we go.

certainly a lot more welcome than the irish were in good , old toronto .
even when we came to kingston in the mid-fifties they still held the ORANGEMEN parade annually on PRINCESS STREET - and the irish stayed away from that street during the parade !

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/f/f4/Nina3.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:04 pm
hbg, That is shocking! Even the Japanese were more or less accepted in most parts of the US by then, and I don't ever remember seeing "No Jap Need Apply" in the mid-fifties in the US.

Fast forward to today: we have so many cultures in our family today, I'm not sure any form of discrimination won't touch their "own kind" one way or another. BTW, our older son was once married to an Irish gal, Jennifer O'Neill, but we still have a Brit and German. (Italian too!) LOL
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:18 pm
c.i. :

i don't want to mislead you .
the ORANGEMEN parade referred to the 1950's ; the ad was probably from around 1850 or so .
there is actually a VERY strong irish influence right here in kingston going back probably about 200 years .
many irish worked and died building the rideau canal - the main cause of death was MALARIA ! it is feared that with global warming , malaria might re-appear in ontario .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:49 pm
If malaria appears in Ontario, you can bet your bottom dollar, it'll appear in the US.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:43 pm
Varia...

Quote:

Summary:

Quote:
More than 30 state schools in England are made up solely of ethnic minority pupils with no white children on the roll, according to government figures. The finding follows a warning from Britain's race watchdog that schools are becoming increasingly segregated along racial lines. Trevor Phillips of the Equality and Human Rights Commission said Britain is "sleepwalking into segregation".

Earlier research found that schools were more segregated than the communities around them. In one London borough 17 schools had more than 90% Bangladeshi pupils, while nine others had fewer than 10%. The Association of Teachers and Lecturers has called for extra funds to "meet the extra educational demands on schools brought about by the recent influx of children of refugee and EU migrant families".

Quote:

Summary:

Quote:
Black British children are still being failed by the education system 15 years after the murder of Stephen Lawrence, says Prof Carl Parsons. He led the Department for Education and Skill's project looking at the effects of the Race Relations (Amendment) Act 2000, which outlawed any kind of racial discrimination in any public authority, including schools.

Parsons says the plight of black Caribbean children in education has barely improved. They are still three times more likely to be expelled from school, and many authorities have "no preventative strategy" to help black children in secondary schools. The only ethnic group found to have a higher drop out rate was Gypsy/Roma children, but their number was much smaller.

Summary:

Quote:
London Mayor Ken Livingstone called for more black teachers, police and taxi drivers as he unveiled his race relations manifesto. Just 8% of police officers and 5% of Black Cab drivers are black or Asian, he said, even though a third of Londoners is. He pledged tough new targets and an annual report on the number of ethnic staff in public services. If the city abandoned its multiculturalism, he warned, it could return to the riots of the 1980s.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:30 pm
Here's a thing I saw today

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/12/france.islam

France rejects woman's nationalisation application because she chooses to wear a burqa
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:36 am
Its a difficult one. It seems daft that she should be turned down for French citizenship because of her dress code. On the other hand if she is importing her little island of Islam, impervious to French society, I would say she has rejected France rather than the other way round. And she didnt wear a burqua in Morocco apparently...so what game's being played here?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:41 pm
The Swiss won't have minarets, and the French are rejecting religious dress.

I used to think I was quite tolerant (though that can be patronising) but I confess I don't like seeing women in burquas.

And yet- jews have been wearing traditional and cultural/religious dress for years, and they don't seem to attract the same opprobrium.

Even though they are a menace in their Volvos, and don't seem to give a **** for the rest of us.