Immigration and Racism in Britain and USA

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:49 pm
McT, It's because it's as simple as religious bigotry; total ignorance against one form of religion played from another. That's where the danger starts and ends; there's no logic to it. Clothing is "never" dangerous; it's how people react to it that makes it dangerous. How about shoes or belts?

Most Muslim women in Central Asia do no wear burkas.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 03:56 pm
The burqua thing is not purely religious, because the Koran doesn't require it, only that women should be modestly dressed.
All the rest is conditioning and gender repression. It is a "cultural" thing, and to us it doesn't seem right. Like enforced female circumcision.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 04:37 pm
McTag wrote:
The burqua thing is not purely religious, because the Koran doesn't require it, only that women should be modestly dressed.
All the rest is conditioning and gender repression. It is a "cultural" thing, and to us it doesn't seem right. Like enforced female circumcision.

I also understand that, and the fact that many Middle East countries require the women to cover themselves from head to foot mandated by men, and not by their religion. When women fail to follow those rules, the woman can be beaten to death. However, we also see in many Muslim countries where women voluntarily wear the burka which is more cultural than religious.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:39 am
McTag wrote:
The Swiss won't have minarets, and the French are rejecting religious dress.

I used to think I was quite tolerant (though that can be patronising) but I confess I don't like seeing women in burquas.

And yet- jews have been wearing traditional and cultural/religious dress for years, and they don't seem to attract the same opprobrium.

Even though they are a menace in their Volvos, and don't seem to give a **** for the rest of us.
Laughing I've heard two theories about Jews and volvos. 1. Head room for hats. 2. No German components in Volvos.

I dont like seeing women in burquas either. Thats because I cant see a woman. I see an unapproachable alien biped, which I assume is a woman.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:55 am
They seem most closely to resemble Daleks.

I think of it as Dalek-dress.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 01:53 pm
yeah you're right

and no doubt we are about to be condemned as islamophobic sexist racist bigots

but you know and I know that aint true

what a complex world we live in Sad
Francis

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:02 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

That is a highly philosophical thought, Steve! Twisted Evil

Especially for after the Tour de France...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:14 pm
Francis wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

That is a highly philosophical thought, Steve! Twisted Evil

Especially for after the Tour de France...
Its not finished yet Francis...in fact highlights are on British Eurosport right now

ok bye HAPPY BASTILLE DAY or whats left of it!! Smile
0 Replies

the third eye

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 09:06 am
@herberts,
until now I do not understand why UK and USA as well as Europe, have very crucial Racial issue for a long,long,long time. Am I so stupid to understand the reason or they are so stupid to be understood? Every single one, either he/she is black-white, immigrant-pure, yellow-brown, or islam-jew-christ, has the same thing (that is HEART) to the others human being-whatever they look like, doesnt he/she? So, why must they see the difference of the others. I think I become stupid-----er........ now.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:52 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

The Swiss won't have minarets, and the French are rejecting religious dress.

I used to think I was quite tolerant (though that can be patronising) but I confess I don't like seeing women in burquas.

And yet- jews have been wearing traditional and cultural/religious dress for years, and they don't seem to attract the same opprobrium.

Even though they are a menace in their Volvos, and don't seem to give a **** for the rest of us.

I would like to think you are only referring to Jews in your locale. In NYC, where many Jews are teachers, non-Jews, I believe, do not find that Jewish teachers are any less concerned about any students' progress than a gentile teacher. Also, NYC has had a number of Jewish mayors. This could not happen, unless the perception was that a Jewish mayoralty candidate cared about all New Yorkers, not just the 10% of NYC that is Jewish.

I would guess the variable is that the U.S. has been promulgating a culture of inclusion for many decades now. In other words, Jews feel very American and are concerned about their fellow Americans, immigrant or not. Perhaps, your culture has not promulgated an inclusionary culture?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 12:08 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

yeah you're right

and no doubt we are about to be condemned as islamophobic sexist racist bigots

but you know and I know that aint true

Please give us Americans more credit than that. I personally just see your comments as comments from someone that is possibly not an American. You might be an American, but many Americans today hesitate to be so blunt about their negative feelings towards others. So, I am guessing you are not an American. You see, in the U.S., you too are a foreigner, even though in a crowd in Ohio you might blend in (until you start to speak).

I feel your pain for your culture shock. I believe that is all it is, and it shows itself in the manner you express yourself, I believe. I would recommend enjoying the cultural diversity, by focussing on the fact that they are really the future of the world you will one day leave behind.

Remember your island nation changed after the Vikings attacked, and others invaded. And, with a monarchy, I am surprised a commoner really questions the cultural diversity that your leaders apparently find of value?

vikorr

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:13 pm
What a fascinating topic.

Did you know that the Australian Govt came out and admitted that the policy of 'multiculturalism' doesn't work?

The fact people toss 'immigration issues' and the word 'racism' around in the same sentence often amuses me.

Let's get one thing straight - (as a general) people are uncomfortable with difference / change - as a general rule, we are more comfortable with 'sameness' and a small to moderate amount of change/difference. Claiming anything else, is to ignore human nature.

At it's heart, racism is about that uncomfortableness with difference / change. Ie. It is the nature of humans to be racist.

The problem with those against racism isn't that they aren't striving for noble ideals, but that they are ignoring human nature. The problem with those who hurl the term 'racist' at another person, is that they 'bury' the problem...which then exists and festers under the surface. Ie. such people achieve nothing except to make the 'problem' harder to deal with.

This brings us to immigration issues. Because we are more comfortable with 'similarness', Immigrants tend to flock to others of their own kind...and thereby maintain the same culture in a foreign culture. You now have two cultures living side by side - and if their differences are big enough, you have conflict (nominally referred to as racism).

This 'uncomfortableness' explains why some cultures can co-exist side by side peacefully, and with respect towards each other, while other cultures cannot.

Immigration Policies of numerous countries have cause problems simply because they have failed to recognise this. They should use a common sense approach and say 'this persons culture is not compatible with ours'. From there a number of possible solutions arise (just one being not to let them in - there are other solutions too).

The problem being, such is seen as 'racist' (with all the accompanying problems the use of such a word as an accusation entails)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 02:16 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Remember your island nation changed after the Vikings attacked, and others invaded.

I'm sure, Steve knows this, but the first change reaaly come about thousand years earlier, namely when the Celts invaded the British Isles. And then the Romans. And the Jutes, Angles and Saxons came there as well before the Vikings attacked.
the third eye

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:21 am
@vikorr,
Is there any regulation or act adjusted by the English government that you know to overcome racial issues?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 05:45 am
The Third Eye, apart from an anti-discrimination law (based on common sense, rather than a blanket law)...it doesn't take an Act, Law, or Legislation to overcome 'racism'. In fact, many laws designed to aleviate racism can make such worse.

People aren't usually as different as they think they are, so education of the similarities can help a great deal. But education, as explained earlier, becomes a barbed prong when used to insult and bury racism, rather than understand it's nature and help peoples find common ground (which reduces racism).

Problems arise when a group of people (a culture/religion etc) see themselves as different (this is true within a country, and also between countries). You will find the greatest 'discrimination' against minorities that see themselves as different. Usually this minority will (per capita) discriminate even more heavily against the majority (though this isn't reported in our popular media).

In relation to laws to stop Racism...In Australia, our aboriginal people are treated different by the Govt - that is, they have their own welfare, their own councils, their own legal service, their own health service. They are taught their history - it is different to the rest of Australia, and that their culture is different. They are the only people to have 'reservations', and many other things that set them apart (by the way, some of this people may even see a benefit in...but the point we are talking about it racism, and it's underlying cause). Consequently, they see themselves as different, probably very different. In seeing themselves as different, they set themselves apart...and people are uncomfortable with such.

As a population in general, they (our aboriginal population) discriminate many times more against white Australia, compared to white australians against them.

In other words, peoples who see themselves as different, will be treated as different.

I am black, and yet I don't think I have ever experienced racism (except once), as I see myself as no different from anyone else - Surprisingly, I was once (way back in high school) called 'nigger'. It's a meaningless word (and out of context) in Australia, and the guy saying it was none to bright...I actually felt sorry for him.

the third eye

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 10:55 am
@vikorr,
I see... thanks for your reply.
I think I should saying thank to God because in my country there is no big issue like racial discrimination. It may be because there are a lot of issue bigger than that such as poverty. People here does not care about the others' skin color or where the others come from but we think about how we can struggle for our own life; eating, education, health and prosperity. Could it be because Britain, USA, or Australia are developed country (that don't need to think anymore about the welfare of its people), so, they 'pay attention' to something 'not important' such as 'they are not us, or we're different with them'???

But, anyway, I agree with your statement saying, "people will be treated differently if they think they're different". You must be a wise man and people around you must be kind men.

It is actually I am looking for data about Racism in England towards Indian immigrant for my school homework. Do you know a lil bit about it? or do you have any website I can visit to look for it? cheeers :-)
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 11:33 am
@the third eye,
Racism is still alive and well in the US; it was brought home in spades during the campaign for president; many felt our country was not ready for a black president, and voted their bigotry.

Discrimination is about "power and ignorance." It denies equal rights to all based on the belief they are "superior" in one way or another. Most justify it on meaningless definition of words and ideas.

Some of the worst perpetrators are people of "religion."
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And some of them are not.
vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 03:53 pm
@spendius,
Everyone practices some form of religion in some (if not most) aspect/s of their life - if you define religion as a dearly held belief in something for which there is little to no direct evidence. It could be patriotism, nationalism, a belief the the 'righteousness' of ones own beliefs / morals / values, a belief in ones superiority, a belief in the truth of ones view of the world, etc etc.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Discrimination is about "power and ignorance." It denies equal rights to all based on the belief they are "superior" in one way or another. Most justify it on meaningless definition of words and ideas.

Well articulated CI.

The notion of superiority is so true.
K
O