Immigration and Racism in Britain and USA

spendius

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 04:51 pm
@Diest TKO,
Phew! To reassure oneself that one is not powerful and ignorant and thus does not practice discrimination with a mealy-mouthed remark like that must be very comforting.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Remember your island nation changed after the Vikings attacked, and others invaded.

I'm sure, Steve knows this, but the first change reaaly come about thousand years earlier, namely when the Celts invaded the British Isles. And then the Romans. And the Jutes, Angles and Saxons came there as well before the Vikings attacked.

Thank you for the correction. The more the merrier in England.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 07:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Racism is still alive and well in the US; it was brought home in spades during the campaign for president; many felt our country was not ready for a black president, and voted their bigotry.

Discrimination is about "power and ignorance." It denies equal rights to all based on the belief they are "superior" in one way or another. Most justify it on meaningless definition of words and ideas.

Some of the worst perpetrators are people of "religion."

It appears to me that you are concluding that anyone who feels superior to another, will act out that superior feeling in a negative way towards the other.

That is not always the case, as the old French saying of noblisse oblige stated. I think that translates to "benevolent aristocracy."

Have you never accepted that someone was superior to you? How they treated you is not my question; just did you consider anyone superior? I have. In effect, superiority and discrimination can be mutually exclusive. It need not always correlate. Are teachers not superior to their students, within the parameters of school? Yet, they do not usually treat students poorly. They are constantly showing students that they are superior, by virtue of their knowledge.

I believe part of society's problem is that some people will not recognize superiority, and through lack of humility resent superiority when they meet it.

vikorr

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:23 pm
"I believe part of society's problem is that some people will not recognize superiority, and through lack of humility resent superiority when they meet it."

Just a correction here. You can have a lack of humility and still respect others, so resentment to Authority isn't caused by a lack of humility. I would think it's caused by fear (though fear is the base emotion - it's easier to trace anger / hatred / rebellion to resentment...the fear is the root of the anger/hatred etc)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2008 08:39 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Quote:
It appears to me that you are concluding that anyone who feels superior to another, will act out that superior feeling in a negative way towards the other.

You are arriving at conclusions not suggested by my statement.
Foofie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Quote:

You are arriving at conclusions not suggested by my statement.

I must have made a wrong turn then? Possibly I mistook your statement for another statement, and turned left to my conclusion; I should have turned right to my conclusion?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:13 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, Superior feeling doesn't necessarily result in a negative way towards others. Your's is not a left or right turn, it missed the road.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 10:12 am
Racism in football is unfortunately widespread (and not only in Britain!)

Quote:
CAPTURED on camera - these are images of the Tottenham Hotspur supporters who are believed to have chanted racist and homophobic abuse at Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell during a match between the two clubs in September.

Police released the CCTV pictures, taken at Portsmouth's Fratton Park ground, to help catch those responsible.

Online report

And in the print edition (Evening Standard, 10.12.08, page 25)

http://i38.tinypic.com/334125d.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/29d8qcx.jpg
Hampshire Constabulary - Press Release

Foofie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie, Superior feeling doesn't necessarily result in a negative way towards others. Your's is not a left or right turn, it missed the road.

Anyone's concern about superiority could be minimized, I believe, if the West adopted the Asian custom of bowing. A nice dose of humility, I believe.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 03:10 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie, You don't understand even the practice of bowing based on title and other niceties like class and rank.
Foofie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Foofie, You don't understand even the practice of bowing based on title and other niceties like class and rank.

Your point above is a non-sequitor. The point is the practice of bowing, regardless of the criteria in its use, has practical applications beyond Asia, I believe.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 09:23 pm
@Foofie,
Yea; to me it means "subservient."
vikorr

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 07:21 am
"Yea; to me it means "subservient."

That would depend on whether both bow to each other (in which case it's a term of respect), or only one bows to the other.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:52 am
@vikorr,
I'm rather sure that c.i. knows his own customs quite well.
Foofie

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 12:05 pm
<Foofie bows deeply to all readers>
0 Replies

the third eye

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 06:38 pm
People who respect to the other are respectable people. No rank, 'kasta', or class, or whatever... and every culture has their own way to respect that sometimes the other cultures cannot understand or interpret it in different way.... :-)
vikorr

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 04:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, I'm sure CI does, though I fail to see what that has to do with my comment, which is a generic remark regarding subservience and bowing.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yea; to me it means "subservient."

Well, as you said, "to me it means..." you have every right to have your subjective opinion; however, subservient to one can mean humble to another, I thought. If one is concerned about being subservient, the toll on one's health can be affected negatively each time one is concerned about whether one was subservient, I thought. Humbleness does not have that downside, I believe.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 06:58 pm
@Foofie,
Techniques of humble bowing can get very superior.

I once saw two drivers flashing their headlights at each other at a junction and they got so uptight about it that the cops had to come to get the traffic flowing freely again.
0 Replies

Fountofwisdom

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
11 are being prosecuted. They have been turned in by their fellow supporters. Not all football supporters are racists. You notice the pictures are part of a police appeal. Britain has done a lot to stamp out racism in football: including the Lets kick out racism campaign. Its not perfect, but it is moving in the right direction. So much so that the British are now upset by racial jeering in places like Croatia and Spain.
Of course everyone knows that in football England has only two enemies the Scots, who are laughable, and the losing side in 1966.
"They think it's all over. IT IS NOW"
0 Replies