Is it just me or...

sakhi

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:48 pm
kitkat_bar wrote:
You guys don't have to worry about being too harsh with me. I personally hate confrentations. I will go out of my way not to be in them. I hate fighting with him but he LOVES to push buttons with me. The problem with him is he thinks the name calling and telling me how I should be doing things is helping me. Him calling me a bitch doesn't bother me because I was calling people a bitch since I learned to talk.

kitkat, you mentioned somewhere that you wouldn't live with a person who hit you/hurt you physically. Name calling is abuse (verbal) too - whether it is you or him doing it. It's hurtful, unhealthy, and is just as bad (or maybe even worse, IMO) as physical abuse.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:58 pm
Kitkat, you have two choices:
1. get a divorce now.
2. get a divorce after wasting a few years making each other miserable.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:18 pm
Gotta climb on with the others. Been there, done that and ain't goin back, baby!

That is one very lonely life you're living and I just hope you don't throw away as many years of your life as I have mine by living with a man who treats you this way.

That's just not life!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:27 pm
I absolutely agree with GW.

This guy's main problem is not depression. Depression doesn't make you want to control others. Depressed people don't have the energy to continually fight. Depressed people don't intentionally push others' buttons. Depression doesn't make you call other people names. Depression doesn't cause someone to make scenes in public. Depression doesn't make you insist on your own way.

This guy's main problem is that he doesn't know how to love.

And unfortunately, you can't teach him that, kitkat. Nobody can. He just doesn't have it in him.

Here's the classic definition of love. I'm sure you know where it comes from. Ask yourself if this describes his behavior toward you.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right....and so on.

I understand you have to stay until you have tried everything you can. Only then can you leave with a clear conscience. I just hope, for your sake, that doesn't take too much longer.

Meanwhile, there's no point in coming here to complain about his behavior if you're just going to turn around and defend him. What do you expect us to say after the things you've written?

I think I've said everything I have to say about this, kitkat.

Good luck.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:44 pm
Eva wrote:
I absolutely agree with GW.

This guy's main problem is not depression. Depression doesn't make you want to control others. Depressed people don't have the energy to continually fight. Depressed people don't intentionally push others' buttons. Depression doesn't make you call other people names. Depression doesn't cause someone to make scenes in public. Depression doesn't make you insist on your own way.

This guy's main problem is that he doesn't know how to love.

And unfortunately, you can't teach him that, kitkat. Nobody can. He just doesn't have it in him.

Here's the classic definition of love. I'm sure you know where it comes from. Ask yourself if this describes his behavior toward you.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right....and so on.

I understand you have to stay until you have tried everything you can. Only then can you leave with a clear conscience. I just hope, for your sake, that doesn't take too much longer.

Meanwhile, there's no point in coming here to complain about his behavior if you're just going to turn around and defend him. What do you expect us to say after the things you've written?

I think I've said everything I have to say about this, kitkat.

Good luck.

This actually does help me alot. I too hope this doesn't take too much longer. I think the reason I stay is because when he is on his pills things are so much better, but it seems like a drug because when he's off of it he turns into a tazmanian devil.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:47 pm
I have heard before I married that marriage is a 75/25 proposition, and the little number represents me. Case closed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:53 pm
Okay, that's not totally true. However, after I was promoted into management and we had to move to Chicago, my wife and children dropped everything to move from our home in California to Naperville.

My job kept me busy, and didn't realize then that my wife was in depression until yhears later - and after our return back to California.

However, I have always let my wife pick our home, and that's still true today. I retired eight years ago, and was ready to move to a new home in the Sacramento Valley, but my wife loves it here in Silicon Valley, and she has not shown any interest in moving.

There are always tradeoffs, but we've been able to handle our differences pretty well in our 43 years of married life.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:37 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I have heard before I married that marriage is a 75/25 proposition, and the little number represents me. Case closed.

I think marriage needs to be 100/100 for it to really work.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
Green Witch wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

I think marriage needs to be 100/100 for it to really work.

Here here
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:31 am
Actually, it's better to have a 125/125 ratio of give and give. When one side tries to give more than one takes, it means each value the other more. Wink
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:36 am
Re: Is it just me or...
kitkat_bar wrote:
...do the fights between married people get stranger over time?

. . . Ok so this was last wednesday and I was having a really REALLY crappy day. . . . (school, nails)

On my way home my husband calls me and tells me to pick up dishwashing soap. I tell him I'm tired, exhausted, recovering from a bad day, and the only thing I want to do is get home and relax. He then demands that I go get it and tells me that he just did all this cleaning up at the house while I was gone, so I need to go get it now. I said firmly that I would swing by tommorrow and pick some up on the way home from school.

One thing lead to another and we broke out into this huge argument over him calling me a lazy bitch who does nothing but sit on my ass all day . . . .

Very petty.

No matter how "crappy" my day might be, just hearing my man's voice cheers me up.

If he asked me to stop and pick up dish soap (or whatever) on my way home, I wouldn't hesitate to say, "sure honey, do you need anything else?" And he would do the same for me no matter how tired or how crappy his day might have been.

We never fight. My man boasts to his friends: "My woman and I have been together for X years and she has never yelled at me." What amazes me is that his friends seem very amazed that we never yell at each other. Why should treating your relationship partner with love and respect be such a surprising phenomena?

I can't see where fighting about dish soap is worth ruining the peace and love in your relationship. You obviously don't respect your husband enough to go out of your way for him--you'll stop to have your nails done, but you won't stop for dish soap even though you know that would make him happy. You don't respect him, so he doesn't respect you and he calls you names.

You reap what you sow. The two of you are sowing all the seeds for an unhealthy, unhappy marriage. Why would you choose to live in hell when, by planting the appropriate seeds, you could be living in paradise?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:23 am
Excellent post Debra!!!!

I think these two are very young, or, very young for their age.
her husband may be a jerk, but she sure does like to touch sore spots.

re the 50/50, 75/25 125/125 stuff...

ehbeth said something that really made me think.

about keeping a certain percentage back for youself, regardless of your love. that's the the percentage that get's to be nasty to your partner, it's for taking care of yourself.

everyone desires that.

I'm saying it all wrong, but it made such sense.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:32 pm
Debra_Law wrote:

You obviously don't respect your husband enough to go out of your way for him--you'll stop to have your nails done, but you won't stop for dish soap even though you know that would make him happy. You don't respect him, so he doesn't respect you and he calls you names.

Wow....if you even knew an ounce about me you wouldn't be saying to me what you are saying. You can't even comprehend what I have sacrificed to be with him, and let me just say that what I have sacrificed is a little bit more substantial than dish soap. I don't mean to be rude but reading your comment makes me laugh absurdidly when I think of all the things I have sacrificed for him. Telling you all that I have done for him would take up three pages in itself, whereas telling you what he has sacrificed for me would barely fill a paragraph.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:56 pm
You know, you really take the cake, you know that?
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:10 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
You know, you really take the cake, you know that?

The point I was trying to make is that I respect him very much and do go out of my way all the time to make him happy. We have been through a lot together and most of it was me respecting and sacrificing to make him happy. It just gets a little tiring....you know?...when you feel like all the work you have put into a relationship isn't being returned nor appriciated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:15 pm
I've never kept a score card of how much I give my wife, and don't intend to start now.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:07 pm
kitkat_bar wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

You obviously don't respect your husband enough to go out of your way for him--you'll stop to have your nails done, but you won't stop for dish soap even though you know that would make him happy. You don't respect him, so he doesn't respect you and he calls you names.

Wow....if you even knew an ounce about me you wouldn't be saying to me what you are saying. You can't even comprehend what I have sacrificed to be with him, and let me just say that what I have sacrificed is a little bit more substantial than dish soap. I don't mean to be rude but reading your comment makes me laugh absurdidly when I think of all the things I have sacrificed for him. Telling you all that I have done for him would take up three pages in itself, whereas telling you what he has sacrificed for me would barely fill a paragraph.

I'm so glad you're keeping score. So long as your balance sheet shows that you're the one doing most of the sacrificing, and alas, the suffering in this marriage, all your petty complaints and the dramatic fights that ensue are excused.

Absurd indeed.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:13 pm
kit-kat, You need to remove "sacrifice" from your vocabulary when talking about your loved ones - including friends.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:28 pm
But how else does one become a martyr, except by sacrificing?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:34 pm
DrewDad, If you're a Muslim....you're rewarded with 72 virgins.
0 Replies