Countdown to Rove Indictments...

parados

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
So okie..
you are arguing that this isn't a defense against Wilson?
Quote:
The bottom line is that Wilson learned nothing of real impact in Niger. He did no undercover work. He did nothing but have tea with a few officials. Is anyone naive to believe they are going to tell him anything substantive? Wilson of all people should know this. Then to come back here and start claiming he has proof of anything and start writing op ed pieces is suspicious in my opinion.

Why didn't the administration hold a news conference and announce these facts?

They could have declassified his trip and told all the details. Why didn't they since it was so easy to defend against him?

If Wilson in reality learned nothing and only had tea then why do you even have to bring up who sent him? The argument you make if true is strong enough with nothing else. Why didn't the WH just lay it out there? The underhanded revealing of classified status of CIA agents raises some serious suspicions, don't you think? Either the case was not as simple as you think or the WH is completely incompetent.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
Well,

OJ murdered his wife,

Oswald wasn't the shooter at all,

The Rosenbergs were innocent,

It was a miscarriage of justice that wasn't convicted for killing Key, and

Jefferson had Burr prosecuted out of anger over Burr's permitting the election of 1800 to go to the House to break the tie in electoral votes

... so there.

Now this discussion can move to the History Forum and we can move on ... right?

See I AM trying to lighten up and be less dour and serious all the time.

Quack, quak.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:04 am
Asherman wrote:
See I AM trying to lighten up and be less dour and serious all the time.

Quack, quak.

And doing a fine job of it, Asherman. Smile
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:07 am
parados wrote:

Why didn't the administration hold a news conference and announce these facts?

Because the administration wished to be prudent and discreet. The reporter was simply cautioned that there might be other motives to what Wilson was saying, which is in fact accurate. Holding news conferences about such matters would be overkill.

Quote:
They could have declassified his trip and told all the details. Why didn't they since it was so easy to defend against him?

If Wilson in reality learned nothing and only had tea then why do you even have to bring up who sent him? The argument you make if true is strong enough with nothing else. Why didn't the WH just lay it out there? The underhanded revealing of classified status of CIA agents raises some serious suspicions, don't you think? Either the case was not as simple as you think or the WH is completely incompetent.

The revelation of Plame was not blatant, but merely a tipoff to reporters to look into the story in more depth so that they could get it right. The motivation of the White House was to see accuracy or a balance in what happened in Niger, not to declassify and publish more about the CIA. If they had it to do over again, they may have done it differently.

You trust Wilson and Plame. I don't. I think the trip was a sham. You keep asking and I keep repeating that who sent him on the trip or recommended him for the trip makes a difference in our opinions about whether it was likely a sham or not. That is why it was important to the White House because they were trying to figure out why Wilson was picked to go there and why he engaged in the crusade that he did, and how he came to the conclusions that he did from the information he gathered.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:14 am
Tico, I would be interested in what you have to say about Parados argument that Fitzgerald asserted that Plame being a CIA agent was classified. I have pointed out that at the same time he also said in the press conference (that Parados provided a link for) that he was not prepared to assert that she was a covert agent. There seems to be a difference, and it is my impression that the latter would be the most pertinent to this case, not the former?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
okie wrote:
Tico, I would be interested in what you have to say about Parados argument that Fitzgerald asserted that Plame being a CIA agent was classified. I have pointed out that at the same time he also said in the press conference (that Parados provided a link for) that he was not prepared to assert that she was a covert agent. There seems to be a difference, and it is my impression that the latter would be the most pertinent to this case, not the former?

Yes, Fitzgerald did make that assertion in his press conference, and as you point out, he was clear to state he was not claiming she was "covert." He's never made a finding -- that I'm aware of -- that she was covert at any time material to this matter. It may very well be that the CIA considered the fact that Valerie Plame worked for the CIA to be classified information. That being said, I find it very interesting (and telling) that the CIA took no steps to halt Novak from publishing his story. And there is most definitely a difference between the terms "classified" and "covert." I consider my real-life name to be classified information, yet unfortunately I'm not a covert agent.

The WH revealed that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA, and that it was SHE who recommended Wilson for the Niger trip, NOT the Veep. It is not an accurate characterization to claim that the WH went "after Plame by releasing her name to reporters." In fact, I believe Novak was not told Plame's name, but rather that "Wilson's wife" suggested Wilson for the job. It was quite easy for him to figure out her name from Wilson's online bio.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:56 am
parados wrote:
It is a crime to reveal classified information. Plame's status was classified.
Title 18 section 798 makes the revealing of classified information a crime.

No .... § 798 of Title 18, U.S.C.A., makes the revealing of certain classified information a crime, and is limited to classified information concerning signals intelligence:

Quote:

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

LINK
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:09 pm
Thank you Ticomaya for the very helpful information!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:40 pm
Cheney's office knew Plame's work was sensitive

Quote:
On Chris Matthews' Hardball Tuesday evening, MSNBC correspondent David Shuster provided updates on what RAW STORY first reported in February: that outed CIA officer Valerie Plame Wilson was working on Iran at the time she was outed (The video of Shuster's report is now available here).

Shuster's Tuesday report suggested that the Office of Vice President Dick Cheney was aware of the sensitivity of Plame's work, though there are no indications he knew she was working on Iran. His report Monday, which can be read here was the first television report to identify Plame's Iran work.

RAW STORY's Larisa Alexandrovna broke the story earlier this year, which went unnoticed by the mainstream media (Read our full story).

According to current and former intelligence officials, Plame Wilson, who worked on the clandestine side of the CIA in the Directorate of Operations as a non-official cover (NOC) officer, was part of an operation tracking distribution and acquisition of weapons of mass destruction technology to and from Iran.

#
David Shuster: While the heart of the CIA leak investigation is the Bush administration's agressive defense of the WMD case for war in Iraq, there is new evidence now the defense may have undermined intelligence efforts on Iran.

The key player in the CIA leak story is Valerie Wilson, a CIA operative whose identity was outed by white house officials.

As MSNBC first reported yesterday, Wilson was not just undercover... but was, according to intelligence sources, part of an effort three years ago to monitor the proliferation of nuclear weapons material into Iran. And the sources allege that when Mrs. Wilson's cover was blown, part of the administration's ability to track Iran's nuclear ambitions was damaged as well.

There is no evidence Vice President Cheney, who gave information to his now indicted chief of staff Scooter Libby, knew what Wilson was involved in. But intelligence experts say the Vice President appears to have had indications that Wilson's responsibilities were sensitive. The Libby indictment says, quote, "on or about June 12, 2003, Libby was advised by the Vice President of the United States that Wilson's wife worked at the Central Intelligence Agency in the Counterproliferation Division."

In the Intelligence community, that division means something special.

Rand Beers: You know for a fact that firstly, the people who work there could be undercover agents working in that office or people on the agent's side of the CIA. And secondly, the issues were among the two most important issues the CIA was working on."

Vice President Cheney was no stranger to the CIA. In the run-up to the Iraq war, he visited CIA headquarters on half a dozen occasions. And Scooter Libby, his chief of staff, was also well versed on the intelligence community.

But prosecution documents in the Libby case paint a picture of a white house so intent on undercutting Cheney critic Joe Wilson that officials failed to consider the possible harm to Wilson's wife or the possible damage to the CIA. In other words, say intelligence experts, the white house war on the Wilsons may have actually weakened the administration's war on terror.

Rand Beers: Even at the time of the undermining in the summer of 2003, we were still deeply worried about what was happening in the Iranian nuclear program. So, why would you want to undermine that."

Presidential advisor Karl Rove has told colleagues he had no idea Valerie Wilson's status was sensitive.

As for the Vice President, the Libby indictment states that Cheney spoke to his chief of staff Libby about Valerie Wilson on at least two occasions. One occasion was just hours before Libby allegedly disclosed information about Wilson to reporters Matt Cooper and Judith Miller.

What did the Vice President tell Scooter Libby? And did either official discuss checking with the CIA to determine if Valerie Wilson's identity and work were sensitive? Today, the intelligence community is split on whether Iran is close or not to developing a nuclear weapon. And the CIA refuses to say anything about possible sources in Iran.

Shuster: But the White House has declared Iran to be one of the nation's biggest threats. And it's because of jobs like agent Wilson's that President Bush's father, President George H.W. Bush once declared that those who expose CIA sources are the most insidious of traitors. I'm David Shuster, for hardball, in Washington.

I do believe intelligence about Iran and WMD qualifies as "signals intelligence."
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:02 pm
paull wrote:
The article on which this thread was based is still linked to on the Truthout site. Maybe those guys get up late.

Truthout promises a full accounting .......... on Monday.

Countdown to the demonization of Fitzgerald by the lefties begins in 5, 4, 3 ...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 02:49 pm
revel wrote:
I do believe intelligence about Iran and WMD qualifies as "signals intelligence."

Which subsections of §798(a) do you think apply to the disclosure made by Rove, and why?

Quote:

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

On the other hand, I think one can make a case that the New York Times violated this law on December 16, 2005, in its article headed: "Bush Lets U.S. Spy on Callers Without Courts". In the Plame case, the CIA made no effort to stop publication of Novak's story; in the NY Times case, the Bush Administration specifically warned the NYT that disclosing the NSA program would compromise ongoing operations against al Qaeda, and the NYT held off for a year without publishing, until Risen was ready to publish his book.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:16 am
Valerie Wilson status was classified marked (S) in the CIA, as someone who is part of the WH, Rove or anyone else there, had to sign the "Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement." Under SF 312 disclosing or confirming classified information is prohibited.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/isoo/sf312.html

Quote:
The paragraph identifying her as the wife of former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV was clearly marked to show that it contained classified material at the "secret" level, two sources said. The CIA classifies as "secret" the names of officers whose identities are covert, according to former senior agency officials.

Anyone reading that paragraph should have been aware that it contained secret information, though that designation was not specifically attached to Plame's name and did not describe her status as covert, the sources said. It is a federal crime, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for a federal official to knowingly disclose the identity of a covert CIA official if the person knows the government is trying to keep it secret.

source

Quote:
SEC. 606. [50 U.S.C. 426] For the purposes of this title:

(1) The term "classified information" means information or material designated and clearly marked or clearly represented, pursuant to the provisions of a statute or Executive order (or a regulation or order issued pursuant to a statute or Executive order), as requiring a specific degree of protection against unauthorized disclosure for reasons of national security.

http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/laws/iipa.html
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:56 am
You realize, don't you, that in addition to completely ignoring my question pertaining to Title 18, § 798, both of your quoted paragraphs immediately preceeding this post relate to the IIPA, which requires that Plame be a "covert agent" as that term is defined in Sec. 426 thereof -- not a classified agent -- for there to be a violation of that act

If you'd like to reframe your argument, I'd be happy to respond.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:07 am
Thanks Tico for the info. Even Parados rightly said that for somebody to commit a crime of leaking the identity of a covert agent, there were two qualifications, 1 - that the agent was covert, and 2- that the leaker knowingly knew of that status. Parados of course claimed #1 was established, but admitted that #2 was a sticking point, but it appears from what we know that both #1 and #2 are major sticking points. I still marvel that Fitzgerald has spent this much time, what is it 2 or 3 years now, on an event wherein he has not even come close to saying that a crime was definitely committed, let alone identify who did it for sure. And why spend 2 or 3 years trying to find out who did it if the deed was not a crime? To this day, we don't even know if Fitzgerald thinks a crime happened. He has actually suggested that one did not happen I think. Which leaves me really puzzled by the guy. This has to be one of the most bizarre investigations ever conducted.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:43 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
You realize, don't you, that in addition to completely ignoring my question pertaining to Title 18, § 798, both of your quoted paragraphs immediately preceeding this post relate to the IIPA, which requires that Plame be a "covert agent" as that term is defined in Sec. 426 thereof -- not a classified agent -- for there to be a violation of that act

If you'd like to reframe your argument, I'd be happy to respond.

I didn't quite understand SP 798 which is why I ignored it to be flat honest. Is there a legal difference between a classified agent and a covert agent? Or do you and a majority of your ilk just enjoy playing sematics? If Plame's name was marked (S)for classified then that means that the CIA didn't want her name known. She was working on Iran WMD intelligence issues at the time of her outing. If someone knowingly leaked her name when it was clearly marked (S) merely for political payback, then at the very least that someone sucks and maybe even violated the Classified discloser Act thing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
I have to say in the Bush apologists' defense that they seem to only resort to splitting-hairs and semantics when they suspect that what one of theirs did was wrong.
Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:00 pm
snood wrote:
I have to say in the Bush apologists' defense that they seem to only resort to splitting-hairs and semantics when they suspect that what one of theirs did was wrong.
Laughing

I suppose that's right ... one shouldn't concern themselves with what the law says, when what Rove did just feels wrong ... in your gut.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
revel wrote:
I didn't quite understand SP 798 which is why I ignored it to be flat honest. Is there a legal difference between a classified agent and a covert agent?

Yes, there is a tremendous difference between the two ... unless, like snood, you just feel that what Rove did was wrong, regardless of what the law says.

Quote:
Or do you and a majority of your ilk just enjoy playing sematics?

I can't say I enjoy it, but correcting some of you from making errors could be a full-time job. If something is not a crime, it's not a crime, no matter how much you wish that it was.

Quote:
If Plame's name was marked (S)for classified then that means that the CIA didn't want her name known.

Good for the CIA. I don't want my name known either.

Quote:
She was working on Iran WMD intelligence issues at the time of her outing. If someone knowingly leaked her name when it was clearly marked (S) merely for political payback, then at the very least that someone sucks and maybe even violated the Classified discloser Act thing.

Okay. If you want to assert your opinion that someone "sucks and maybe even violated the Classified discloser Act thing," far be it for me to argue with you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:03 pm
Gee Tico,
I didn't see you jumping all over okie for claiming Starr convicted people of crimes associated with whitewater. Does the law matter only when it helps you split hairs?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:02 pm
parados wrote:
Gee Tico,
I didn't see you jumping all over okie for claiming Starr convicted people of crimes associated with whitewater. Does the law matter only when it helps you split hairs?

I haven't the foggiest idea what you're talking about.
0 Replies