Countdown to Rove Indictments...

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:30 pm
Lawrence O'Donnell

Quote:

www.huffingtonpost.com

If Rove asked to return to the grand jury, that means Rove's lawyer, Bob Luskin, believes an indictment is imminent and is sending his client back to make a final desperate attempt to avoid indictment. Luskin did this once before when he told Fitzgerald about the Viveca Novak connection, which is certainly going to be covered in Rove's testimony today. Luskin has experienced extreme mood swings in his willingness to talk to the press about this case. If a reporter can ask him one question today, it should be who asked Rove to return to the grand jury?

P.S. For what it's worth, the buzz among the Washington press corps right now is that Rove asked to return to the grand jury.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:54 pm
Well no surprise there are conflicting stories. We'll have to wait to find out the truth.
LAWYER DENIES ROVE A TARGET http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/26/AR2006042600849_pf.html
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:27 am
Lawrence O'Donnell says we will know today whether or not Rove was called or volunteered. If he volunteered, that means an indictment was about to be issued and Rove asked fore a last chance to get his story straight. If he was called, that means that Fitzgerald didn't have quite enough yet to get him indicted. What is now very clear is that Rove is a target.

What is unprecedented is that Rove has not been forced out of his job. No high ranking WH official has ever been allowed to keep his or her job under a such a dark cloud.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:16 am
They've set a lot of precedents already.....
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:55 pm
MSNBC reports Rove believes he is in legal jeopardy

RAW STORY
Published: Thursday April 27, 2006

Karl Rove has described his three and a half hour meeting with a grand jury as grueling, and is more worried about being prosecuted than ever, MSNBC is reporting.

RAW STORY has also learned that an MSNBC report tonight revealed that one of Rove's lawyers said the presidential adviser described his fifth grand jury appearance as "hell." MSNBC's David Shuster appeared live on Keith Olbermann's 8pm show this evening and stated that Rove was surprised by the tone of the questions as well as the length of time he was required to testify.

Shuster agreed with Olbermann that it was "easy to imagine" that Rove's legal situation was the cause of his recent reduction of responsibilities. However, he added, "I don't see there's any chance that Karl Rove's going to resign, barring an indictment."

The three and a half hour duration is considered highly unusual for a fifth appearance before a grand jury, Shuster reported. Also not boding well for Rove is the fact that the grand jury plans to meet tomorrow. Some are speculating that an indictment for Rove may be handed up tomorrow, though others have claimed such a fast turnaround time is unlikely.

One MSNBC commentator claimed that the fifth appearance also ties the record held by Betty Currie, former President Bill Clinton's personal secretary.

#
FULL TRANSCRIPT FROM DAVID SHUSTER'S REPORT:

[TO SHUSTER PKG]

WHILE HIS SUPPORTERS CONTINUE TO PUT ON A GOOD FACE, SOURCES CLOSE TO KARL ROVE SAY THE PRESIDENTIAL ADVISOR IS NOW MORE WORRIED, NOT LESS, THAT HE IS GOING TO GET INDICTED. THE SOURCES SAY ROVE WAS SURPRISED BY SOME OF THE QUESTIONS HE WAS ASKED AND BY THE FACT THE SESSION STRETCHED ON FOR THREE AND A HALF HOURS.

MINUTES AFTER ROVE LEFT THE GRAND JURY, HIS LEGAL TEAM ISSUED A WRITTEN STATEMENT SAYING PROSECUTORS HAD, QUOTE, "WANTED TO EXPLORE A MATTER RAISED SINCE MR. ROVE'S LAST APPEARANCE IN OCTOBER 2005."

BUT THE GRAND JURY, ACCORDING TO SOURCES, ALSO PRESSED ROVE ABOUT HIS TESTIMONY IN 2004 WHEN HE FAILED TO REVEAL HE SPOKE TO TIME MAGAZINE'S MATT COOPER ABOUT VALERIE PLAME -- THE FORMER CIA OPERATIVE AT THE HEART OF THE INVESTIGATION.

[Scott Fredericksen, former independent counsel] "Grand jurors asking about why he didn't recall his conversation in the original grand jury means they are focusing on the charge itself: Did he perjure himself? And they are not yet convinced of his explanations, that's why they are asking those questions."

LAST OCTOBER, JUST BEFORE VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY'S CHIEF OF STAFF SCOOTER LIBBY WAS INDICTED... ROVE STAVED OFF CHARGES WHEN HIS LAWYER TOLD INVESTIGATORS HE COULD PROVE ROVE'S EARLY MIS-STATEMENTS WERE NOT INTENTIONAL.

ROBERT LUSKIN SPOKE OF A CONVERSATION WITH TIME REPORTER VIVECA NOVAK AND A TIP ABOUT WHAT HER COLLEAGUE MATT COOPER MIGHT TESTIFY TO. LUSKIN AND ROVE THEN SEARCHED FOR WHITE HOUSE INFORMATION TO REFRESH ROVE'S MEMORY AND FOUND A WHITE HOUSE E-MAIL ABOUT THE ROVE-COOPER CONVERSATION. THEN, ACCORDING TO LUSKIN, ROVE CHANGED HIS TESTIMONY.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE TIME LAPSE FROM THE NOVAK TIP TO THE NEW ROVE TESTIMONY... WAS 7 MONTHS.

AND FROM THE DATE WHEN PROSECUTOR PATRICK FITZGERALD FIRST ORDERED MATT COOPER TO TESTIFY TO WHEN ROVE CHANGED HIS TESTIMONY WAS JUST DAYS.

Fredericksen: "Mr. Fitzgerald is a straight shooter, I have no doubt in my mind he has told them very clearly why he has Rove in there. It's because he wants to determine whether Mr. Rove was telling the truth when he first appeared before the grand jury."

BY ALL ACCOUNTS, VOLUNTEERING TO TESTIFY TO A GRAND JURY IS A RISKY PROPOSITION... LAWYERS SAY IT IS USUALLY DONE WHEN THERE IS NOTHING ELSE THAT MAY STOP AN INDICTMENT. AND THE SIGNS FOR ROVE HAVE BEEN OMINOUS FOR MONTHS. IN THE LIBBY INDICTMENT, ROVE WAS REFERRED TO AS "OFFICIAL A." THAT'S A DESIGNATION PROSECUTORS ARE REQUIRED TO GIVE WHEN THEY ARE REVEALING PERJORATIVE INFORMATION ABOUT A PERSON NOT YET CHARGED.

Fredericksen: "When your client is identified in that manner, it's a cause of great concern."

THAT'S BECAUSE PROSECUTORS ALMOST ALWAYS END UP INDICTING SOMEBODY IDENTIFIED AS OFFICIAL A. AND IN LOOKING THROUGH THE RECORD OF PATRICK FITZGERALD, HIS OFFICE HAS EVENTUALLY INDICTED OFFICIAL A IN EVERY CASE.

[Shuster standup]

STILL, GRAND JURY TESTIMONY CAN BE DIFFICULT TO JUDGE. THE SESSIONS, BY THEIR NATURE, ARE ADVERSARIAL. AND EVEN IF KARL ROVE FELT HIS APPEARANCE WAS "HELL," A ROVE LAWYER DISPUTES THE PRESIDENTIAL ADVISOR HAS NEW REASONS TO BE FEARFUL. THE ULTIMATE AUTHORITY, OF COURSE, BELONGS TO PROSECUTOR FITZGERALD... WHOSE GRAND JURY IS SCHEDULED TO MEET AGAIN TOMORROW. I'M DAVID SHUSTER, FOR HARDBALL, IN WASHINGTON.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:17 pm
Latest I have been hearing is that Rove will likely be indicted within a week to 10 days.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:37 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Latest I have been hearing is that Rove will likely be indicted within a week to 10 days.

And if he isnt?
Will you admit you were wrong?

I dont know if he did anything illegal,but it seems the left has being predicting his indictment since before Christmas.
It hasnt happened yet,has it?

If he does get indicted,then and only then will we know exactly what he is accused of.
We all know what the left wants him to be accused of,or guilty of,even without a trial.

Here is a novel idea...lets wait for the facts to come out before you execute him.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 06:54 pm
Here is a novel idea, Cheney gets indicted after Rove. Seems like he's a target in Fitzgerald's sights. And legally the most Fitzgerald can do with Bushie is an unindicted co-conspiritor.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:27 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

And if he isn't?
Will you admit you were wrong?

I don't know if he did anything illegal,but it seems the left has being predicting his indictment since before Christmas.
It hasn't happened yet,has it?

If he does get indicted,then and only then will we know exactly what he is accused of.
We all know what the left wants him to be accused of,or guilty of,even without a trial.

Here is a novel idea...lets wait for the facts to come out before you execute him.

Here is a novel idea. Try telling the truth for a change and admitting YOU ARE WRONG whn you are. (like about Cynthia McKinney) "The left" has not been predicting Rove's indictment since Christmas. In fact, "the left" can't predict anything because "the left" as you conceive it is a figment of your very limited imagination.

Would you kindly post a link to anyone who predicted flat out that Rove would be indicted from the time of the Libby indictment took place up until just recently?

BTW, genius,I can never been proven wrong because saying that he likely will be indicted isn't changed by the fact that the unlikely might happen. It is unlikely that the Indiana Pacers will win the NBA title this year. If thye pull a mracle and win it all, my statement will still be true.
So try learning how to comprehend simple English.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 07:21 pm
Bump
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:35 am
...tick...tick...tick...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:11 am
Karl Rove's Lessons for the Press
Karl Rove's Lessons for the Press
By Bill Israel
May 08, 2006

My friend and former colleague Karl Rove may soon be indicted, and the question for journalists, citizens and those who care about him and/or the country is why we're in this mess in the first place.

Six months ago my friend and former colleague at the University of Texas, Karl Rove, wrote he was confident the legal cloud above him in the Valerie Plame case would lift in a couple of weeks. As the cloud instead darkened, I've asked: what can we learn from Karl's plight?

The question for journalists, citizens and those of us who care about him and/or the country is not if Karl will be indicted, or when -- but why we're in this mess.

Anyone who's worked with him knows that his ready sense of humor aside, Karl takes what he does seriously. Despite a record of usually fingerprint-less political hits against opponents and competitors, Karl in my experience generally assumes responsibility for what he does and insists, even with a certain gentility, on a high standard of discipline to achieve it.

The Bush administration didn't leak for years, partly for Karl's discipline and organizational control; Karl remains the president's most important adviser. Bush's highest political priorities always go to Karl, from disposing of Gov. Ann Richards to defeating Sen. John Kerry. Ambassador Joseph Wilson and his wife, CIA operative Valerie Plame, were simply the most important bodies in the way.

Karl's immense political success led to greater policy responsibility. That may have been less damaging in Texas: Bush could be "a uniter, not a divider" in a state where differences between Republicans and conservative Democrats are narrow. But an administration damages national policy when it governs the country narrowly from podiums at the American Enterprise Institute, the Heritage Foundation or Federalist Society, or from military bases where constituents are scripted and commanded to salute.

For a glimpse of the politicization of Bush policy, consider the administration of Richard Nixon. Nixon hatchet man Charles Colson, domestic policy adviser John Ehrlichman and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger had more or less distinct roles. Yet in the Bush White House, Karl's role combined Colson and Ehrlichman with (in the Plame case) a dose of Kissinger, too.

There lies the rub. Politics is the art of war in a civilized society; the news is its first and essential battlefront. But if politics is often the realm of perception, policy determines the reality of who lives and dies. In "Breach of Faith," the late Theodore White argued that Richard Nixon lost his presidency by directing the CIA to thwart the FBI's Watergate investigation to protect Nixon's foreign policy. In contrast, George W. Bush leaked classified secrets for a political hit on Wilson and his wife, to protect the political flank of an Iraq war policy Bush otherwise could not defend.

Perhaps the latest staff adjustments will re-orient this White House more toward policy, but two signs are not promising. The president's newest domestic policy adviser, Josh Kaplan, was tasked in campaign 2000 to the "Brooks Brothers riot" to thwart a re-count of the votes in Florida. Meanwhile, the president has again deployed Karl, with no change in title, to his top political priority: maintaining GOP majorities to prevent Bush's impeachment and trial.

A glimmer of the battle ahead flashed recently in the Senate Judiciary Committee, when former Nixon presidential counsel John Dean was seated to explain why he wrote the Bush record is Worse than Watergate. Before Dean could testify, Rove surrogate and former campaign advisee Sen. John Cornyn delivered the political hit. Cornyn objected to Dean, "a felon," testifying before the committee, then left the room once the hit framed the hearing.

Because Karl will have maximum impact in his assignment, it's useful to recall two things he told our students at The University of Texas:

1. "How you look is as important as what you say," he said, playing a clip from a John F. Kennedy-Richard Nixon debate in 1960. On television it appeared that JFK had won; on radio, it sounded as if Nixon won. Nixon gave a workmanlike performance, Karl said, but he didn't look presidential. The dominant medium determined the debate's outcome.

2. "Lower your expectations of how you'll perform, no matter how good you are," he added. In 1994, when Jeb Bush debated Lawton Chiles in Florida, Chiles was considered the better debater. When Chiles underperformed, Jeb Bush was perceived to have won. On the other hand, in the next debate, Chiles was in better form, and seemed to win.

It's ironic Karl made these observations about Richard Nixon, nailed by evidence he was a crook; and about Florida, where Karl and James Baker seized a Bush victory from the reality of his electoral defeat. This year, could there be any better way for an administration to lower expectations and look down for the count than to be down in the polls, and under a legal and political cloud?

Some lessons from this experience seem clear:

1. Journalists would do well to remember they're dealing with the most gifted political operative of the age, who beat all comers in 2000 even though losing the election; rolled up new majorities in 2002 after a terrorist attack for for which the president did not prepare, from a Middle East he'd ignored; and beat the Democrat in 2004 by demeaning his superior service record. Karl did much of his best work in Austin from his private office, before Bush bid him come to work full time. Whether under a legal cloud at the White House, or under indictment and better insulated from scrutiny in a new private office, Karl will likely run the works again.

2. Journalists and news institutions should remember the advice rekindled in the Plame case by journalists Ed Fouhy and Roberto Suro (St. Petersburg Times, Dec. 27, 2005): "the relationship between the news media and government is inherently adversarial because they have inherently different interests."

3. Though Karl argues that good politics make good policy, that's almost never the case in national security. The great journalist Walter Lippmann in "Liberty and the News" quoted colleague Frank Cobb just after World War I: "For five years there has been no free play of public opinion in the world. Confronted by the inexorable necessities of war, governments conscripted public opinion&hellipthey goose-stepped it. It sometimes seems that after the armistice was signed, millions of Americans must have taken a vow that they would never again do any thinking for themselves. They were willing to die for their country, but not willing to think for it."

Another great journalist, I.F. Stone, once warned that all governments lie. Whether George Bush in Iraq, or Lyndon Johnson in Vietnam, the only protection against such lies is journalists and citizens requiring a full range of debate unconfined to Democrats and Republicans - and the complete exercise of press and every other freedom under the First Amendment, without compromise.

I wish no harm to Karl; this is among the most trying moments of his life. But I wish for our country, and we must ensure, as journalists, a full and complete accounting for the exercise and abuse of political power.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Israel ([email protected]) is a journalism professor at The University of Massachusetts Amherst who taught with Rove at The University of Texas, is completing a book titled "Stealing Reality: the Rise of the Right, the Fracture of News, the Lessons of Karl Rove." He wrote previously about Rove for E&P last July.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:04 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

That was posted on Sat. April 29.

We are still waiting.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:09 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

We are still waiting.

Rove should have been cleared by now. Not good news for him that THAT has not happened, Sparky.

I hope you are not losing sleep over this, guess you just have to wait.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:11 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

We are still waiting.

Rove should have been cleared by now. Not good news for him that THAT has not happened, Sparky.

Not only am I not losing sleep over it,I am having fun showing how wrong you can be.
It seems your "sources" had no idea what they were talking about,did they.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:19 pm
Are you saying Rove is not going to be indicted, Jeb?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:30 pm
I look forward to reading Israel's book once it comes out (see bottom of BBB's post above). It sounds like a humdinger. Just check out the title:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:56 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Are you saying Rove is not going to be indicted?

MM???
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

We are still waiting.

Not only am I not losing sleep over it,I am having fun showing how wrong you can be.
It seems your "sources" had no idea what they were talking about,did they.

This guy probably was marking the days off his calendar to see if Rove would be indicted within the 10 days. He is getting all hot and bothered with the prospect of "proving me wrong."

What the genius fails to realize is that the odds that Rove will be indicted are higher now than they were two weeks ago...and increase each day that goes by on which Rove is not cleared.

And this is this guy's idea of fun? That kinda weirds me out actually.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:25 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Are you saying Rove is not going to be indicted?

MM???

I dont know if Rove will be indicted or not.
I havent seen the evidence that the prosecutor has,so I dont know.
And if you were honest,you dont know either.

Sorry I didnt answer you yesterday,but we had some tornado warnings in the area and I was busy.
0 Replies