squinney

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 07:36 am
And THIS from O'Reilly??? Wow!

Quote:
You Are Being Gouged by U.S. Oil Companies
Wednesday, April 19, 2006
By Bill O'Reilly

You are being gouged by the American oil companies. Gas supplies, gas supplies are at an eight-year high. Gas prices have doubled since 2004. Even if you don't know anything about economics, this one's pretty obvious. "Talking Points" has been saying for more than a year, U.S. oil companies are exploiting uncertainty in the world by raising prices they don't have to raise. The companies are making record profits while American workers are getting hurt. Every time the commodities speculators bid up a barrel of oil, the price of a barrel of oil, every time they bid it up, you pay more at the pump. It has nothing to do with supply and demand. It's all about exploiting fears about Iran, terrorism, what might happen down the road. President Bush knows what's going on, but doesn't like to interfere with big business. He did, however, say this today.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BUSH: I'm concerned about higher gasoline prices. I'm concerned what it means to the working families and small businesses. And I'm also mindful that the government has the responsibility to make sure that we watch very carefully and to investigate possible price gouging and we'll do just that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

O'REILLY: As you know, there are Americans who believe that private companies have a right to do whatever they want, no matter what. But remember, the oil industry operates with the cooperation of the government. It's not a free market. Try to start your own oil company, see what happens. The announcement that ExxonMobil will pay its retired CEO Lee Raymond a $400 million package was really the kicker. That obscene payout will be passed along to us. ExxonMobil has insulted its customers once again. Does ExxonMobil remember the French revolution? There is a limit to what the public will accept even in a capitalistic society. When regular folks get hurt to pay some fat cat $400 million, the line has been crossed. So I am never, ever buying a drop of oil from ExxonMobil again. They have crossed that line. They are hurting the country. I know some of you disagree with me and I respect your opinion, but I stand by my analysis, we are being gouged. Oil company greed is hurting the nation. Our new billoreilly.com poll question asks you, do you believe you're being gouged by the oil companies, yes or no? The results on that should be very interesting.
SOURCE
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 07:49 am
Last I checked it was still 2.79 here, in some places 2.85. But I was playing with my new toy (iPod) on the way in so I wasn't paying attention.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:16 am
While you were driving?!?

did you get the video ipod?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:17 am
When she wasn't on the phone, ya know?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
roger wrote:
When she wasn't on the phone, ya know?

Was that before, or after she put her makeup on??

Anon
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:19 am
Re: 3.10
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
That's right... I just paid $3.10 a gallon for gas.

<yawn>

About $6 here in Germany. You Americans are such crybabies when it comes to gas prices.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
Yeah, but if our country was the size of a couple of Texas counties, we wouldn't crab about the size of a gallon of gas either. Smile
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
Thomas wrote:
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
That's right... I just paid $3.10 a gallon for gas.

<yawn>

About $6 here in Germany. You Americans are such crybabies when it comes to gas prices.

You just don't understand our pain Crying or Very sad

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:36 am
Thomas wrote:

About $6 here in Germany.

$6.15 for regular at the cheapest station here, $5.20 for Diesel.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:39 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
While you were driving?!?

did you get the video ipod?

Yes, and yes.

I had it hooked up to my car thingy so I was just switching through songs.

Very Happy
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:43 am
I understand that Europe pays more for gas then we do. Part of that is due to the large amounts of gasoline we use in comparison to Europe. Part is the taxes in Europe. Part is due to the fact that oil prices are tied to the dollar.

I am going to continue to bitch about prices here in the US because that is where I live. Feel free to complain about gas prices where you live too, but please don't expect me to stop bitching just because you pay more than I do. Thanks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:53 am
Here it is averaging $2.75 a gallon and they even come out to your car and pump it in for you. Next time anyone starts up with the "we'd pay less if we could pump our own gas" I'll point them to this thread!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
So what I gather is, that with rising oil consumption worldwide and rising oil prices, accumulating in incredible profit margins, the people in all the first world countries are grumbling... hard.
So the first major oil company to realize that by dropping the prices they will gather a) incredible goodwill and b)massive profit as well.. .quantity instead of quality) while at the same time c) cutting the profits of their competition.

Or is this too simplistic???
Naj
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Yeah, but if our country was the size of a couple of Texas counties, we wouldn't crab about the size of a gallon of gas either. Smile

What has size got to do with it? If New Mexico declared independence, how would that make you drive shorter distances?

AnonVoter wrote:
You just don't understand our pain Sad

I understand it alright. I'm just too meanhearted to feel sorry for you.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:33 pm
Thomas wrote:
AnonVoter wrote:
You just don't understand our pain Sad

I understand it alright. I'm just too meanhearted to feel sorry for you.

Unfortunately, our transportation concept has been based on cheap gas and the ability to drive a lot. Now we're pretty much stuck with that concept, cheap gas or not. I saw where some fool is driving in from the Sierra Foothills, at a range of 380 miles, round trip. His justification ... he has bought this huge house on six acres or so. He can live in the country while working in the city for higher wages. I don't know how that much time driving could ever be worth it, but he seems to think so!

Anon
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:46 pm
Naj - That would be true of most businesses, but the oil/gas industry is regulated by the government. They aren't allowed, by law, to be less than a few cents cheaper than the next gas station.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:50 pm
Yet some people still think that government regulation is a good thing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:05 pm
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

What has size got to do with it? If New Mexico declared independence, how would that make you drive shorter distances?

The point is we have no choice but to drive substantial distances unless we live in a very large metropolitan area that has frequent bus runs, subways, a taxi network etc.

For most Americans, things are too spread out for more than a very few to use their feet or bicycles to get to and from work. The busses run no more than every hour or so in most parts of town and on routes too erratic for somebody who does the kind of work I do to use. It costs $35 to take a cab from my house to the airport one way - a normal 20-25 minute drive. (And that doesn't include tip.) There is minimal bus transportation between towns and outside of the Albuquerque metropolitan area and even less train service. Commuter planes are too costly for anybody but the most desperate to use. Outside the metro area, it is not unusual for towns to be 40-50-60-90 miles or more apart with absolutely nothing in between. Most of us don't have enough of a death wish to depend on motor scooters or motorcycles in these parts.

So yes, our cars, trucks, SUVs, and minivans are our life blood here and the price of a gallon of gasoline can be a big deal for those of us who have to drive to do our jobs. I doubt there are many Europeans who have the same getting around problems that most New Mexicans and really most Americans have.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:26 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

The point is we have no choice but to drive substantial distances unless we live in a very large metropolitan area that has frequent bus runs, subways, a taxi network etc.

For most Americans, things are too spread out for more than a very few to use their feet or bicycles to get to and from work.

Well, it's not as though a gun is put to our heads forcing us to live 50 miles from work or shopping. The fact is that Americans have chosen to live farther and farther away from the cities. Some cities are recovering population, but there are more and more exurbs where people can live in huge houses and drive vast distances.

There's some choice involved--not always, but quite often--re how much we drive.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
Just paid $2.90/gal. to fill up here in Boston. Just spoke to Hawaii where the average seems to be $3.10/gal. regular.

D'artagnan, you're absolutely right. Fot many of us -- perhaps most of us -- where we live in relation to where we work is a matter of choice. I happen to live right in the center of a very large city. I would never consider taking a job anywhere out of town unless I planned to move to that neighborhood. But that's me. I can readily understand that other people have different life styles.
0 Replies