Oil, will it be the last straw for America?

cavolina

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:04 am
Cycloptichorn

Okie is mimicing Limbaugh or some other talk show wag about the free market.

The last time we had an inkling of a free market in this country was when AT&T was broken up into the baby Bells. It might also be noted that since I began driving in the early 60's, there have been rumors of the 50 mpg carburator and other gas saving devices that have never gotten beyond the patent office.

It is easy for someone who doesn't think about long term effects of policy to stand tall with the fools who think the politicians are watching out for anyone but themselves. We are in a dire situation. Our economy is sailing along leaving flotsam and jetsam behind that used to be called the middleclass.

Our environment, okie may choose to breathe air that he can see-I don't, is worse than I have seen it in my 60 years, the Gulf Stream is in danger of shutting down, and the amount of effective sunlight reaching the planet has diminished to a point that rains that brought water in the form of annual monsoons are no longer moving far enough north of the equator to stave of severe drought.

But, it's ok cause okie lives in a free market.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:07 am
cavolina wrote:
Okie

It a joke of the same magnitude as your joke about a free market. If you think that the oil companies can't influence public and private policy. Money talks and they have it.

There are several countries doing some research on fusion. It is neither a conservative nor a liberal policy it is a scientific fact that if developed could cause a shift in the lives of the entire planet.

I'm in favor of fusion, and when there is a scientific breakthrough showing it feasible, I am not opposed. You need to quit citing some solution that is far off in the future. Pragmatism is doing something today. If your pantry is out of food, and you planted a garden that might produce something in 2 months, do you sit there and starve while waiting for your garden to produce or do you go to the store and buy some food? Are you a realist?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:11 am
cavolina wrote:
I began driving in the early 60's, there have been rumors of the 50 mpg carburator and other gas saving devices that have never gotten beyond the patent office.

The truth finally is admitted to. Its a big oil conspiracy. I get it. The oil companies have all purchased or stolen the patents, and or had the inventors to disappear. I've known a few otherwise reasonable people that believe such bilge, but please use just a little reason concerning such nonsense.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:14 am
cavolina wrote:

Our environment, okie may choose to breathe air that he can see-I don't, is worse than I have seen it in my 60 years, the Gulf Stream is in danger of shutting down, and the amount of effective sunlight reaching the planet has diminished to a point that rains that brought water in the form of annual monsoons are no longer moving far enough north of the equator to stave of severe drought.

But, it's ok cause okie lives in a free market.

So cavolina, I guess ITS OVER. Fold your tents. The Gulf Stream is shutting down. The end of the world is near. You environmentalists really are a bunch of whackos, aren't you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:16 am
It's also a government conspiracy to make sure our auto factories operate at 100 percent productive capacity, and all the other support needed to make a car. The failure of government is to look at the long-term impact by not requiring better fuel efficiencies and to develop public transportation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:18 am
Okie, why don't you discuss the substantive part of my post, rather than attempt to send me on a scavenger hunt?

I suspect it's because you realize that the 'free market' doesn't exist in the fashion you suspect it does.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okie, why don't you discuss the substantive part of my post, rather than attempt to send me on a scavenger hunt?

I suspect it's because you realize that the 'free market' doesn't exist in the fashion you suspect it does.

Cycloptichorn

What is the substantive part of your post? I took it to be the oil companies basically stifled the market by buying technology, blocking it, lying to the public about oil reserves, etc. I simply asked for evidence of your claims, which I think are a bunch of baloney or demagoguery to say the least.
0 Replies