Acid reflux

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:23 pm
Ickiepoo is all I have to say. I had to sleep proped up last night. Geez. I finally quall the hot flashes that kept me awake at night and now I have reflux. Sigh. At least I know it'll go away.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:01 pm
I'm now wondering if what I had was just a passing virus, because my mom mention talking with a few people who had the same symptoms and now you guys.
How long did it last for you?

Haven't heard anything from my doc about my tests, so I'm thinking they didn't find anything.

For me it wasn't just a few days, though. I felt like crap for over a month.
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
I had the same problem Glitterbag has and it took two of the longest weeks of my life before my doctors were able to diagnosis and fix the problem. I can only imagine how terrible it was to suffer for two years.
My surgery results were great and I haven't had any problems. Good luck with yours.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
Hello Dramaqueen, Thanks for your story. I was going to ask the people here if they have had such surgery, and voila, there you are. Can you give me a little information on recovery time? The Doc said I won't be able to drive for three weeks and I will be sore. Iamb trying to imagine exactly what to expect. I have had surgery in the past, and I know how if feels to recover from gall bladder surgery (done the old way with 4 inch incision). I remember waking up feeling a lot of pain, but each day I got better and better and the pain subsided considerably.

I have also had back surgery, L5, and I felt better in the recovery room than I did before going in. Also numerous lumpectomies, but compared to an incision that cuts thru muscle, they were a walk in the park. The procedure they are going to use is less invasive, but once they get all the instrument inside, they will be moving organs all over the place and they plan to wrap the stomach in a fashion to prevent it from disturbing the stitched up hernia to give it time to heal properly. She said she will also stitch the bottom of the stomach to the abdominal wall to help keep it in place.

My hope is that I will just be uncomfortable until my body adjusts to having all the internal organs placed back where they are supposed to be. I am not concerned about the pureed food, probably won't like it, but I can tolerate that easily for a while.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or information you can share regarding your experience.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:57 am
glitterbag
Sorry I can't help with any information, but just wanted give you a big ((((((((Hug))))))))

Good luck with everything.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 10:11 am
Montana, you are so sweet to say such a nice thing. Can you imagine what they would say on the other forum where I have made so many friends. Now of course, someone over there will cut and paste my comments as proof of some sort of "victimhood". I had planned on asking reflux questions here when I found out about the surgery I will need. But somebody already started this and it came at an ideal time for me.

Able2know is a great place to ask questions and get information. You don't see the same sort of ugliness that was present on Abuzz. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see people take opposing sides even if the question is "what time is it".
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
glitterbag, I remember a time when Abuzz was truly a great forum (not nearly as great as A2K), but when the staff left us all alone to fend for ourselves, we didn't stand a chance against the trolls. It was truly sad for me and so many others to watch it desolve like it did, but I am forever greatful that Craven, jes and the rest, blessed us with A2K.
This place just rocks when you need advice or if you just wanna hang out and connect with people.
I moved to Canada from the States almost 6 years ago and since I'm an english speaking gal in a french, mainly elderly community, I haven't made many friends here that I can relate to that are close enough for me to visit regularly, so A2K is my main social life at the moment and thank god for that :-)
I have learned so very much in here about everything under the sun and I can honestly say that A2K has made me a much wiser middle aged broad ;-)
I think the best part of A2K is the support you get from the countless of caring people who roam the A2K halls and I don't think there's another community out there anything like this one.

It's all good :-D
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
Glitterbag I hate to say it but my recovery was painful. If it weren't for the pain killers I would have never made it through. The soft foods aren't bad because your hunger level will tell you that Jello taste like steak.

Off topic, what is Abuzz?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:27 pm
Hi Drama, when you say painful, is it painful as in kidney stone, childbirth, or gallbladder surgery (the old way) or more like swollen, achy and loving the meds? I can take it, I'm just trying to get prepared.

When I gave birth to my son, the other women in the OB were screaming and begging for relief. I was scared silly, because I didn't know how bad it was going to get. Just by anticipating pain that would make me howl I kept waiting for it to get worse. Suddenly, the baby crowned and I hadn't made a single sound. Nuts, right? My anxiety over the other womens pitiful groaning made me think that I hadn't even gotten started. I'm not going to say it wasn't painful, but when the baby crowned I got the epidural and voila, I actually became painfree and was ready to dish. Of course by this time the maternity crew were busy taking care of the delivery and I had the blissful experience of having the pain suddenly disappear.
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:25 am
Childbirth pain doesn't compare. When I had my daughter in the pre epidural natural children birth days I had the same experience as you. The women in the other labor rooms were screaming in agony with each pain. I was too scared to scream and was certain it would not help the situation. When my son was born using the same birthing method no epidural and no pain killers I understood why those women screamed out because with him the pain was much greater.
Since I never had kidneys stone but have had my gallbladder removed the old fashion way I have to say this pain was up there with the gallbladder. It hurt really bad the first few days and I lived for my pain meds. By the third day it had eased off and I was content in my drug induced fog. The soreness was a problem because I am sure they moved every internal organ they could get to. After a week I was doing well enough to cut back on my pain meds and hungry enough that pudding and mashed potatoes were like manna from heaven.
The trick to getting through this is to take the pain meds according to orders so that you keep the pain down to a bearable level. There will be days you might question your decision but as the days pass your pain will decrease, your comfort will increase and one day you'll realize you feel much better than you did before the surgery. Good luck and may God bless you.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
Drama, thank you so much for providing this information. I can assure you that I will be loaded with pills as often as possible. I need to shop this week and stock up on the foods I'll be permitted to eat. You must have lost weight during this recovery. And if you can indulge me with one more thing, were stairs a problem???? I have a two story house, and if I can't use the steps I guess I will have to recover downstairs. Oh and were you too swollen to wear pants for a while? I would hate having to leave the hospital in a nightgown.
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:03 am
I don't know about stairs because I live in a one story house that only has three steps to the door. I do remember the day I came home I had help because of the meds. Pants weren't a problem because I wear flowing dresses and sandals during the summer. I did lose a little weight but not as much as I wanted to because the soft food I ate were loaded with calories and I was not doing anything to burn those despicable things off of my hips.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:04 am
((((((((((Glitterbag))))))))))

I'll be thinking about ya and wishing you a speedy recovery.

When do you go in?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:13 am
I head to the hospital on the 27th. The caring folks at the insurrance company consider this an out-patient procedure. The doc said she will keep me for 23 hours so I can suck up as much of the hospital magic I can handle. However, if there are any complications, I believe the Insurance people may consider allowing to stay longer. I'm opting for the no complication situation, you never want to hear the doctor say "I think we will keep you a few more days until your fever comes down"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:13 am
I head to the hospital on the 27th. The caring folks at the insurrance company consider this an out-patient procedure. The doc said she will keep me for 23 hours so I can suck up as much of the hospital magic I can handle. However, if there are any complications, I believe the Insurance people may consider allowing to stay longer. I'm opting for the no complication situation, you never want to hear the doctor say "I think we will keep you a few more days until your fever comes down"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
By the way, is anybody else having trouble getting updates. I'm not getting any notices in my mailbox. I can go to the topic and read the updates there, but nothing is prompting me to visit the site. What's going on?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:41 am
I'm glad to hear that you won't be in the hospital for very long. I hate being in the hospital as there's nothing like the comforts of home :-)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:51 am
Yep, home is more comfortable. And there is the added pleasure of not having to deal with the people who give you medication that you are allergic to because they didn't read your chart. And my all time favorite situation, being given an enema to prepare for some test and the two nurses out in hall arguing over wether or not I could use the handy bed side toilet. Finally, a decision was made because I could not hold it anylonger and had to engage a different way to take care of the problem. Needless to say, the nurses did not like the result of their indecision.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:55 am
I hear ya Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 11:18 am
I wish you luck with your procedure next week, glitterbag. Please come back and let us know how you're doing.

By the way, everyone's having the same problem with email updates. There are some major glitches here the last few days.
0 Replies