Acid reflux

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:15 pm
Stress can be partly the cause, dag, as Noddy suggested. Just keep your meals simple & smallish for a bit. More meals, but in smaller quantities at one time. And try not to eat too much rich food or acidy food . Give your tummy a bit of a rest! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:16 pm
hmmm, wonder if radishes and ginger are related...

I've not had that reflux bit very often, and it's been related to eating a lot late and drinking more than wise - and I used to try milk for it, didn't work. Tried bottled water (I know, wait for the guffaws) like Pellegrino and it worked. Now whenever I feel icky stomach for any reason I drink some bubble water and wait for burp-city, then I feel better. Usually.

Don't take this as advice though. Might be officially just the wrong thing to do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:19 pm
Yikes!

Carns sound good. Ant-acids sound like they could help (I have tums in my tea cabinet). I think Soz has had good advice here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:22 pm
That reminds me though...
back in college I used to work part time, well, damn, nearly full time, at a local hospital, and I had a day or two of wretched stomach stuff. I showed up at work at the hospital, probably a little green in the face, and went to the Rose Room counter and sat down, as it happened, next to Dr. Theriot, who said his usual pleasant hi, how are you. I told him. He said, order a coke, that'll fix you up. I did. It did.

That was in the early sixties. I've heard coca cola mentioned as helpful several times since then.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 03:45 am
funny, i did have a coke, and it did help. heartburn is gone, now i'm just tired. sitting in a dingy little starbucks/homeless shelter(it seems) waiting for the Port Authority stoopid Bus Terminal to open its gates to New Jersey. Took the night bus (3 hours of sleep, well better than nothing, I guess), knot in my upper back, and a full day of meetings to look forward to. Then drive back.... Ugggghhhghghg.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:00 am
Coca-Cola used to be (still is) a pretty standard remedy for morning sickness. I'm not suggesting you have that, of course, just that you have nausea and icky stomach stuff. The coke syrup really does help.

And do try to eat better, smaller, less spicy meals if you can.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:04 am
if i have the morning sickness, there must have been some divine intervention, and that behind my back.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:04 am
See a doctor. After a few tests, he'll almost certainly put you on Prilosec or something equivalent. It will make the reflux go away.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:31 am
For some, ceasing dairy products seems to help quite dramatically (I have a friend who was helped a lot by that).

Peppermint tea is very good for all tummy stuff.....even peppermint sweets can help in a pinch.

Ow, I gather 'tis very painful....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:34 pm
it went away. maybe i ate too much of something, or well, didn't eat well for a few days in a row. it's more of an intense pressure and presence, ugh. if it never comes back, it's too soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:26 pm
Excellent, dag!

I don't suppose this could have been part of the cause, though?

dagmaraka wrote:
let's see....for dinner i had some Pirouline hazelnut wafers, pretzels and chips, chocolate, a beer and cigarettes*. not extremely satisfying, but that's what was lying around.

* those i smoked. didn't eat them.

:wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:44 pm
Smoking is not good for acid reflux.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 12:49 pm
you might be onto something there, olga. you should start a detective agency, girl!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:02 am
Sorry, dag.
Just couldn't help myself.
It was too irresistible an opportunity to miss. :wink:

So, reflux all gone now? (Hope so!)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:06 am
If there's a reflux there's also a flux...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:14 am
Bookmarking as I have also had stomache problems recently.

Glad you're feeling better Dag :-D
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:16 am
Francis wrote:
If there's a reflux there's also a flux...

That is so true, Francis! Laughing
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:21 am
actually, we (littlek and i) now think it may well have been a virus - as she has the same symptoms now - bad heartburn, somewhat more frequent runs to the bathroom, general tiredness... could have been a bug of sorts...

but yeah, all gone for me. only tiredness stayed, but for other reasons.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:31 am
I know people don't like to run to the doctor everytime something happens that may be treated by drinking milk or mylanta. I've been seeing various doctors for the last few years trying to pin down the cause of a cough that comes and goes, but sometimes I can cough for hours before it stops and totally exhausts me.

The last two tests they did, measured the acid reflux by inserting a thin tube thu my nose into the esophagus. The tests revealed that my cough is triggered by acid leaking up into the base of the throat. I also had an upper endoscopic exam which revealed a gigantic hiatal hernia. I am scheduled for surgery next weak to have the hernia repaired and hopefully after that the coughing will cease. My surgeon said that my symptoms are atypical for reflux, most people seek help when their heartburn becomes harder and harder to control. The reason I have decided to have the surgery is because the hernia is forcing other organs and part of the colon into my chest cavity. The hernia will not repair itself and in all likely-hood, get larger. I've decided to do it while I'm still young enough to recover quickly.

Very few people actually need surgery to help with hiatal hernia, I don't want to alarm anyone, but there is a lot of medication that can help the heartburn and prevent damage to the esophagus That's an important thing to consider because your esophagus is not designed for the wear and tear of stomach acid.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:42 am
You're absolutely right, glitterbag, and you did a good thing. I've only had heartburn this once in my entire life and it went away after day and a half or so. Since there was also diarrhea and other symptoms, and littlek, being my housemate, is having the same symptoms now, it probably wasn't a real heartburn to begin with, but some sort of a mild stomach flu. i'm glad you're having your hernia fixed. that can't be good for anything.
0 Replies