Acid reflux

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:19 am
Never had it before, I have a stomach like a horse. Actually, better than a horse, since I can eat and drink just about anything without consequences. Last two days however I have constant burning in my chest, sort of. I've been in one circle, eat at different times, not the most sensible food either (whatever's at hand at the moment) - so it is entirely my fault. That's not likely to change within next two weeks. I have rehearsals every night and often have nothing but junk food and coffee to resort to. I will try to bring a wrap or whatnot, and eat somewhat regularly.
In the meantime, is there any natural, non- medicinal, way how to ease the symptoms? It's driving me up the wall. Ironically enough coffee seems to help a bit, but then my heart is racing and my side hurts Rolling Eyes Yep, am in a bad shape. Need to take a nap. But but but is there anything miraculous I can eat or drink that would help? I don't want to resort to those syrups or pills, if I don't have to.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,553 • Replies: 64
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
when you sleep/nap make sure your head is elevated.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
and if i don't nap? anything i can do RIGHT NOW?

aaaarrrrggggggh!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
Rolaids.

Milk products (cheese, plain ol' glass of milk, etc...)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
milk has gone bad....no milk....sob.
i have some mozarella cheese that is partially skim, i'll try that. and i have a ton of yoghurts, would those be good, or should i stay away from anything acidic?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
(i suppose having a big mug of coffee right now was not the brightest idea...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:29 am
No it wasn't!!!

Yoghurt would be OK, I think. Cheese sounds good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
Bread is good too, I think. A nice cheese sandwich, for example.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:32 am
will have a few slices of mozarella and some yoghurt. thanks, soz. i promise to take a better care of myself.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:34 am
No acid, no coffee, no ibruprufin or other non steroidal whatevers, no Mexican blue plate specials. If it's really bad, give up the all natural and use double the dose of OTC Pepcide. It works in about 45 minutes. More if you're really stubborn.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:34 am
no acid....so no yoghurt?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:35 am
(certainly no coffee.... i know that now. it seemed to help temporarily, but wowee, that didn't last long, and now it's worse.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:36 am
I think being well-hydrated is supposed to help, too, so like if you don't have milk to drink, just have a lot of water. Less sure of that one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:38 am
Hmm, looks like I was more right about the bread than the milk:

http://www.healthcastle.com/heartburn-diet.shtml
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:43 am
the one beer i had last night after rehearsal certainly did a number on me then. i know i ain't touching beer (and coffee) anytime soon. well, coffee's more difficult, i have a nightmare of a weekend ahead.

so, small amount, and carbs. got it. i'll try a cup of soup then, with a piece of bread. oy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:18 pm
From here on in, eat everything--including junk food--slowly and chew with great deliberation.

Of course you know to avoid stress?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
heh, avoid stress.... that one is outright impossible right now. but slower eating will help. i was attempting to devour everything in under 5 seconds in the past few days.

had a cup of soup and a piece of toast, and although i felt worse when eating and shortly afterwards, i'm starting to feel better now. drinking water....slowly, will have small amounts of food more often...also slowly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:40 pm
That was a good link, Soz...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:48 pm
Everyone's going to kill me <giggle>--- but I'll say it anyway--I've heard many people recommend a tablespoonful or two of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water

<waits for shouts of rage to quiet down>

I know, I know, but it works for some people, because acid reflux is because of your body overproducing acid, and if you have a little ACV it's thought to let your body know that it can knock it off with the acid production...here's a site that talks about it: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acid_reflux.html

Ginger is another home remedy for upset stomach, some people say it helps with acid reflux.

I'm just sayin' ....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:09 pm
Daikon Radish, or Radishes do wonders for heartburn. sounds like you may not have access to those, but Asian cultures serve radish after oily meals.

Other natural remedies: Red Bush Tea. You can also buy homeopathic heartburn medicine at the health food store.
0 Replies