I'm now a temporary conservative.

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 05:40 am
On one's lap, in one's lap....it all sounds like crazy sex-talk to me, harrumph!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 07:00 am
I agree, Cav. Craven is an Ersatz Conservative. Real conservatives don't have laptops, think computers are the work of the devil, and if they want something on their laps they go to girlie clubs (where the devil also resides, but he's a conservative devil -- not the sort of dangerous left-wing devil residing in the internet.)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:04 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
There is nothing wrong with a religious figure asking God for his blessing.

Even if you meant a 'government' figure, the answer is still 'of course not.' Only when it is done with the imprimatur of the government does it become objectionable. Please read this Washington Post article.

Craven de Kere wrote:
As to the water you make it sound like a lot worse. The chaplain was not witholding water. He just had access to water and earmarked it for baptizms. And it was bathing water, it'snot like the troops lacked drinking water.

Our troops lacked water to bathe in for weeks. In the desert. And besides, what the water is used for does not make it OK to proseyltize under the threat of denial. You cannot be serious if you think Jesus would actually approve of this: "Army chaplain hosts baptisms, baths"

Craven de Kere wrote:
Natinal day of prayer is something I enjoy greatly, anyone can worship regardless of their religion. And if someone does not wish to worship they are not required to. Someime people act like the day of the inquisition is rturning.

The type of situation that our founding fathers sought to avoid is control of the church by the state just as much as religion having an undue influence on the government. And our society is far from the situations that they were worried about.

As I clearly expressed, go right ahead and enjoy yourself.

I disagree completely with your last sentence. It's not only much closer than you think, Mr. Temp, it's sitting in your bedroom.

Quote:
"...And if the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. Does that undermine the fabric of our society? I would argue yes, it does. It all comes from, I would argue, this right to privacy that doesn't exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution, this right that was created, it was created in Griswold -- Griswold was the contraceptive case -- and abortion. And now we're just extending it out. And the further you extend it out, the more you -- this freedom actually intervenes and affects the family. You say, well, it's my individual freedom Yes, but it destroys the basic unit of our society because it condones behavior that's antithetical to strong, healthy families. "

Many Americans are not old enough to immediately get the Griswold reference The 1965 Griswold vs. Connecticut decision gave married couples in this country the legal right to access birth control. Apparently, Rick Santorum thinks this decision was a mistake. When I read this, my heart stopped. "Geez Louise," I said to myself. "If this guy's got a problem with Griswold vs. Connecticut -- what does that mean for us? Exactly how far back would he like to see the country taken?" The seventeenth century, perhaps - with lynchings in the public square?

It has become a GOP mantra lately to remind us all that there is no "right to privacy" explicitly guaranteed by the Constitution. Well, explicitly, no - but the Supreme Court knew that in 1965 just as anyone who can read, knows it now. The esteemed Justices of that day, after deliberating, concluded in a 7-to-2 ruling that there was an inherent right to privacy which would subsequently grant Americans the right to make private decisions about their birth control and sexuality outside the purview of government surveillance and regulation. Stating over and over again that "there is no right to privacy in the Constitution," then, is merely fatuous and ignores the role of the Supreme Court in interpreting the law. Must we all now be Constitutional "Fundamentalists" as well as Biblical Fundamentalists, to please the Republican Party?

Rick Santorum's Sweeping Social Reaction

Rick Santorum is the 3rd ranking member of the Senate, and his extremely fundamentalist Christian views have been reinforced with support by the Majority Leader and the White House.

If you would like to re-acquaint yourself of this gathering danger then please go to www.au.org .

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ."
-- the First Amendment of the United States Constitution

The Framers of the Constitution designed the First Amendment's religion clauses to embrace two key concepts: the government will not endorse or oppose any particular religious viewpoint (or religion generally), and will not interfere with the right of citizens to practice their faith. As Thomas Jefferson put it, the American people created a "wall of separation between church and state."

Next?

(it will be the weekend before I am able to enter any response. But I'll look forward to reading everyone else's.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:57 am
Tartarin wrote:
I agree, Cav. Craven is an Ersatz Conservative. Real conservatives don't have laptops, think computers are the work of the devil, and if they want something on their laps they go to girlie clubs (where the devil also resides, but he's a conservative devil -- not the sort of dangerous left-wing devil residing in the internet.)

A fine example of simplistic steroetyping. You can't expect people to take you seriously if you are going to delve to such intellectual lows.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:06 am
!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:10 am
PDiddie wrote:

Even if you meant a 'government' figure, the answer is still 'of course not.' Only when it is done with the imprimatur of the government does it become objectionable. Please read this Washington Post article.

I normally don't like to read links when members are too lazy to make a point but I did anyway and only saw old news that I had digested days ago. The Pentagon can invite anyone they want. You fail to illutrate why that is a violation of separation of church and state and seem to think that repetition and old news links a point makes.

PDiddie wrote:

Our troops lacked water to bathe in for weeks. In the desert.

I know, the troops knew that going in. A point?

PDiddie wrote:

And besides, what the water is used for does not make it OK to proseyltize under the threat of denial.

I don't recommend the chaplain's tactics but your outright spin is intellectually dishonest. The Chaplain was not denying anything. The circumstances denied them water. The Chaplain has bathing water and applied a criteria to be afforded its luxury.

He had every right to do so regardless of whether you and I think it is distasteful. Again, that has absolutely nothing to do with separation of church and state. No laws were violated and I am still waiting for your elusive point.

PDiddie wrote:

You cannot be serious if you think Jesus would actually approve of this: "Army chaplain hosts baptisms, baths"

You can't be serious if you want me to opine on your opinion about what Jesus would think. It's a weak rhetorical ploy. It can easily be argued that Jesus would not only approve of it but that he would do far more.

PDiddie wrote:

As I clearly expressed, go right ahead and enjoy yourself.

I disagree completely with your last sentence. It's not only much closer than you think, Mr. Temp, it's sitting in your bedroom.

Dear "sky is falling" please support your wild claims. How is this nation anywhere near the religious intolerance of yersteryear that spawned inquisitions?

<stepping out of conservative craven>

Really, I do not think you have anything resempling a point here. I note your concern but you fail to substantiate it in any way, you point at some anecdotes and expect me to buy your apocalyptic rantings.

PDiddie wrote:

(it will be the weekend before I am able to enter any response. But I'll look forward to reading everyone else's.)

If all you are going to do is cut and paste don't bother. Come up with support for your unsubstantiated opinions, finding someone else's writing about the subject does not, I repeat, does not make you have a point.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:29 am
Tartarin wrote:
!!!

You can't be serious. Exclamation marks are your only defense for your sweeping generalizations?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:35 am
Erm, cav is still not sure what Tartarin agrees with, in terms of what I posted....I was having a larf, and don't recall having ever used the word 'erzatz' in my life...however, if Tartarin was also having a larf, it was pretty funny Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:48 am
Yes, often people think they are being funny by denigrating other groups of people. In this case it was a ridiculous insult against people of my political persuasion and I called her on it. Whether or not she was trying to be funny, it is still a baseless insult of the type that is very common in this liberal haven.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:32 pm
Well, the Ersatzicons (just because it's a generalization doesn't mean it isn't true...) have body hair problems. That's clear; that's there for all to see. Clean that stuff off, get a new and more supportive shrink, and things will go back to "normal." Craven's been conned.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:37 pm
K, changed my mind...Craven is clearly funnier than Tartarin...what exactly does "your was" mean anyway?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:37 pm
I have not been conned. Yes, generalizations are not always falacious but I held that your was. And you have done nothing to counter that except add another generalization.

Just because generalizations can be truthful and relevant does not make your generalized insult anything more than the simploric (word used by intent not error) insult I claimed that it is.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:38 pm
I had no intention of being funny. I did not find mirth in her insults at all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:41 pm
Craven, you're very smart, and very young.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:42 pm
Look at Bush's smirk. Most con's at least make a pathetic attempt at laughing. Are you from the unmirthiful Christian Right?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:43 pm
I admit my avatar shows I have a bit of a body hair problem too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:43 pm
I'll mirth you you hippie masquerading as a conservative!

Now that I think about it, maybe it's a sort of 'so bad it's funny' kinda thing....Very Happy
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:47 pm
Uh-oh. Snood has turned up. That guy leans so far to the right he looks as though he's in the middle of a permanent hurricane.

I'm not a hippie, Cav. I wear Lands End and shave my legs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:48 pm
snood wrote:
Craven, you're very smart, and very young.

I don't like backhanded insults. Your greater age is no license for your patronizing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 12:50 pm
Tartarin wrote:
Look at Bush's smirk. Most con's at least make a pathetic attempt at laughing. Are you from the unmirthiful Christian Right?

Nevermind, it is plain that you do not care to justify your snipes. Should you wish them to be treated as significant you might want to substantiate them in the future.
0 Replies