Mammogram Reminder To My Female Friends Aboard A2K

material girl

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:10 am
J_B wrote:

MG - get your ass to a doctor!

I cant work out if Id find that less intrusive.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:46 am
MG surely pap smear couldnt possibly be more intimatly intrusive than intercourse.
I've had a prostrate exam. But cant comment on wheather or not this would be more or less preferable I just know that having a papsmear saved my wife from (at minimum) a hysterectomy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 03:54 am
Im not saying i have a casual approach to sex, far from it, but its usually dark and ive known the person Id be with and the atmosphere is a bit more relaxing than the cold light of day with a complete stranger looking at my bits with a metal thing holding my undercarriage open!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 04:26 am
mg.

haven't the posts made by J_B made any impression on you at all?

guess what? no one talks about your pap after you get it, unles YOU bring it up, so there's no reason to "slit your wrists"

bottom line...if you're having such a problem mentally with this, get help from a pychological counselor about whatever the issue is, then get your pap smear.

or....suck it up and get a pap smear.

or....freak out and get a pap smear.

'nuff said.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 04:41 am
Suck it up, thats the most unhelpful phrase ever.

I hate talking about myself so counselling isnt for me.The issue is getting my c*nt out for complete strangers and having to be ok with it, when Ive been given the impression most of my life that if you do that your a slapper.
I dont like feeling that way.

Its my problem, no one elses.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 05:41 am
J_B- I will be thinking about you this weekend.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:44 am
dadpad wrote:
Pap smear was positive for my darling wife several years ago. She had day surgery to correct the problem. No positves since then.......... thank god.
she is around 40 years of age.

Annual pap smears saved her life!!!!!!!!!

Nuns dont get cervical cancer, so our doctor tells us.

http://www.antennaornaments.com/bin/img/product/0210005_pink_ribbon_breast_cancer_awarness_ribbon.jpg

Do you girls do the breast cancer awareness thing each year? buy a pink ribbon to support breast cancer awareness/research? I buy my wife one every year and the she make me wear it for a week.

And I'm proud to do it too. (I love my boobies).

Yes, there was a big awareness thing recently. Many major league baseballers even used pink bats for a day. The bats were inscribed with the hitter's name and his mother's name. http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/05/09/PH2006050902061.jpg

I'm glad your wife is all right.

J_B - Monday May 22 - I'll be thinking of you. And on Tuesday, too.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:19 am
Good to see you, Babs, and thanks for the reminder. I've been good, having mammo and paps yearly...so far so good.

J_B
Here's to you.

Will catch up on this thread in its entirety later, but I know how I feel about the issues involved.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:50 am
Wow! Thank you all so much for the words of support. Dadpad, I'm so glad your wife's cancer was found at an early treatable stage. Reproductive cancers are tough to catch early; good on her for getting checked and kudos to you for your unflinching support.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:22 am
Lady J wrote:
J_B....(((hugs))) I'll be thinking of you all weekend and well into next week, sending the very best wishes I can your way. As I was reading this thread all the way through, I got pangs of heartache and cursed myself for not being more diligent about my own yearly exams.

Always using the excuse that "when I get less busy, I'll make my appointment" really doesn't cut it now does it? Given the family history on my mom's side, her and all four of her sisters have or had cancer(s). Between them and one of my first cousins, there has been 4 cases of breast cancer, two ovarian cancer, one cervical cancer, one lung cancer, one lymph node cancer, one bladder cancer, one colon cancer and two liver cancers. Thirteen cancers between six women should be enough to be screaming loud and clear into my own head to get into the doctor post haste.

I am "only" 9 months overdue for both my PAP and Mammogram. I have to call tomorrow for an appointment.....

Yikes, that's quite a family history to contend with! I'm glad this thread prompted you to make the call for your checkups (and it's always wonderful to see you!).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 09:09 am
I'm in my docs care right now for this acid reflux thing and as soon as we wrap this up, I'm asking doc to send me for a mammo.
Thanks for the awareness lesson, guys. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the business of life and I occationally lose track of things that are very important..
It's really not my docs fault that I haven't had one, as I am one of those people who tends to try to avoid seeing doc as much as possible and his secretary has to hunt me down like a dog every year, just to get me in there for my pap.
I'm usually able to dodge them for 2 years before they can get me in for that, but this thread has shed a new new light on things for me and I have taken a vow to stop running away from doc.
Doc is my friend and hey, he gave me the week off this week because I have the flu, so the boy is looking out for me :-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
No, hearing the word positive is worse than waiting, to me.

But, that is the whole point. Given there are lurking clusters, early is actually great, in an odd way.

Finding early is good.

Benign is way better.

Hearing the word positive is difficult.

Eva, didn't mean that first line to sound been-there snotty. Just flatout how I feel.

It didn't sound that way, osso. Just truthful. But like a great many people, I deal with reality (even when it's bad news) MUCH better than imagined fears. That's why waiting is so awful for me.

Hubby's been through two scares in the last 6 months that required MRIs, fortunately both turned out to be simple cysts. Both times, I laid awake at night in bed for days, counting our assets. So afraid I couldn't even write about it here. (Whew.)

Sounds like J_B has a better handle on her imagination than I do.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:34 pm
Wow, I was SO happy to get my mammogram results back because all is well. Two weeks later I'm in the hospital for a possible deep vein clot, and I don't have one of those, but then they discover that I have multiple myeloma - a kind of cancer of the bone marrow... I had lost a third of my red blood cells over a period of only 2 months. One never knows. And you certainly can never evade the inevitable. None of us is going to get out of here alive. When death whispers in your ear you can run but you can not hide. Some cancers are easily screened for, yet no one takes advantage of them. This is quite rare. I have not received the
"staging" nor the bone marrow biopsy, for which I want to be out cold, but I have a niece who is an accupuncturist & chinese medicine practitioner, so I've already decided what route I wish to take. When they sent me to Xray that day with the chart on my lap & a paper that said Xray,metastatic bone disease, and it didn't say rule out metastatic bone disease, and they Xrayed every single bone in my body. it was as if I was expecting it. I honestly can't explain it. I have been steadily, slowly losing potassium over at least 5 years now, with no medical reason for it at all. My rheumatologist was concerned and ordered very complicated tests to show if there is any indication of any kind of cancer about 5 years ago because of this, but it was negative. But then I had no insurance at the time and I had the test done in Mexico City for about $100. One of the causes of that is this myeloma. I had already looked up all of the possible causes of hypokalemia years ago, & naturally multiple myeloma was one of them. When I saw that word, it was as if it rang a bell. Just like when I saw the xray orders. It didn't surprise me and I don't know how that can be. It is inexplicable. It feels almost as if your body knows all along exactly what is to come.And suddenly people come into my life who are so supportive and so helpful and I know where THAT comes from. It's all gonna be okay, no matter what.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 03:51 pm
Wow, babs. You're right in the thick of it, aren't you! Feel free to vent here...several of us are cancer survivors. We're interested in knowing how your treatment goes. Just sorry you have to go through it, y'know. Confused
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 03:53 pm
Geez, I really hope we haven't scared J_B away!

<fret>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:02 pm
material girl wrote:
Suck it up, thats the most unhelpful phrase ever.

I hate talking about myself so counselling isnt for me.The issue is getting my c*nt out for complete strangers and having to be ok with it, when Ive been given the impression most of my life that if you do that your a slapper.
I dont like feeling that way.

Its my problem, no one elses.

Nobody here said you have to like the experience, MG. We just said you have to do it anyway.

We all have to do things we don't like, sometimes, for our own good. I absolutely hate going to the dentist, for example, but I get my teeth cleaned every 4-6 months anyway. I've figured out a few little tricks that help me get through it. You can do the same.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:15 pm
babs, I'm so sorry to hear about your MM diagnosis. I hope you are in the very early stages.

Eva, I'm ok, busy weekend and just waiting to see what comes next. I'm hoping for a six-month mammogram recheck recommendation and no malignancy. I'll know more Tuesday afternoon.

(((((babsatamelia))))
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 07:17 pm
(((((Babs))))) (((((((JB)))))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 12:51 am
Hugs to Babsatamellia, gnawing strings for J_B, smiles to Eva, and a 'getwithit' to Material Girl. And, by the way, what is a slapper? Time for you, MG, to gain a more positive sense of self, not to lecture, but speak from concern.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:31 pm
<deep breath>

Benign. One word - benign.
Quote:
benign
(beh-NINE)
Has no signs of cancer. The growth of the cells in the tumor, cyst, lump, tissue, or cells is under control. There is no spread to nearby tissue or to other parts of the body.

My appt was for 2:00 pm; I was right on time. At 2:10 I was told the results weren't available yet, Shocked a few minutes later the next patient arrived - her results were available yet either which surprisingly made me feel a bit better. Then the third patient arrived; we all waited together, shared stories, and tried to make each other feel better. I was finally called in at 2:45, just as the fourth patient arrived. Less than one minute later I was on my way to schedule a six-month recheck mammogram. Patient number 2 and 3 were both in the parking lot by the time I got there. Patient number 2 was being checked for a recurrence of her cancer; she was visibly relieved. We all did a happy dance in the parking lot and wished each other well.

Mr B and I shared a bottle of champagne. The girls did their own version of happy dancing.

Thank you all so very much for your good wishes and support, they were very much appreciated.

<very deep breath>
0 Replies