Mammogram Reminder To My Female Friends Aboard A2K

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:36 am
In that case, the pap will be a breeze for ya! ;-)

Have you ever had one? As in, is this based on a bad experience or is it entirely in your head?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:43 am
material girl wrote:
The test may only take a minute but Its what goes on in my head thats more traumatic,itl last a lifetime.
I know im being silly but I clearly have issues.

I can understand you have issues...think of the issues you'd have if something went wrong done there that wasn't caught in time....you'd be looking at the days of getting a pap smear like a day at the beach.

Don't you realize if you have cancer they have to do a whole lot more poking and prodding and lots of other things that really are painful?

For the sake of being afraid of one little minute, you might be in for a world of sh!t later.

Also, this isn't some complete stranger. You've got a doctor right? you know him or her.

Even if you're referred to someone else, this is a professional who has no more interest in gawping at your bits than a baker notices the appearance of one loaf of bread over the other. They aren't thinking any more personally about what they're looking at than if they were examining your elbow.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:47 am
material girl wrote:
Ironically I like going to the dentist and go twice a year!

I don't mind the dentist either and there's a hell of a lot more going on here ;-)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:09 am
I hardly go to the doctors, I have no reasons to go.

They may be professionals who couldnt care less about looking at my bits but Im not in the habit of getting my undercarriage out and letting people look.

No Ive never had a test,and its based on hearing bad things and being made to feel slutty/dirty/odd about that area of me by guys when I was a teen.Just one nasty negative or slutty comment, no matter how innocent after I have it doen would make me want to slit my wrists.

In my state of mind now Id hate to have it done.

I dont like knowing that theres a big chance Il have no future because of the way I think.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 11:21 am
J_B wrote:
I was called back for a magnification series and possible ultrasound. This isn't the first time, but it's the first time after five years of 'no change'. Hopefully, we're just establishing a new baseline.

I've had the breast ultrasound twice. It's very easy. The gel (at least where I get such things done) smelled a little flowery.

PS Material girl - dear - I know people are trying with you, to talk to you about getting a pap. It's because we care about your health. There are things in the world that we fear, perhaps it's speaking in front of a bunch of people, or driving at night in the snow in an unfamiliar place, or flying or whatever it is. But we all have certain competencies. Everyone does something well. Everyone has something that makes them confident. Perhaps the way to handle the pap is to envision that wonderful thing that you can do, maybe make the greatest blueberry muffins, or ride a horse or cut hair or whatever. And maybe even do that wonderful thing once everything is all done at the doctor's. The doctor doesn't want to hurt you. He or she wants to help you. And, there's another idea, maybe you'd feel more comfortable with a lady doctor doing the pap.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:19 pm
jespah wrote:
J_B wrote:
I was called back for a magnification series and possible ultrasound. This isn't the first time, but it's the first time after five years of 'no change'. Hopefully, we're just establishing a new baseline.

I've had the breast ultrasound twice. It's very easy. The gel (at least where I get such things done) smelled a little flowery.

Thanks, Jes, we're skipping the ultrasound this time. Current diagnosis is 'suspicious' and the biopsy is scheduled for Monday morning. The good news is that if it turns out to be something then it's very early stage and highly treatable, which is exactly why we have annual mammograms.

MG - get your ass to a doctor!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:23 pm
Yes, got distracted from J_B's news -- glad it was spotted early, and good luck!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:45 pm
J_B wrote:
jespah wrote:
J_B wrote:

Thanks, Jes, we're skipping the ultrasound this time. Current diagnosis is 'suspicious' and the biopsy is scheduled for Monday morning. The good news is that if it turns out to be something then it's very early stage and highly treatable, which is exactly why we have annual mammograms.

MG - get your ass to a doctor!

Good Luck to you J_B
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 01:47 pm
I haven't read this thread but the title has caused me sufficient alarm to race out this very afternoon for one of those mammogram things.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:18 pm
MG - Why don't you take a tranquillizer, and bring a Walkman to the doctor? Play a piece of your favorite music, and way before the song is finished, the whole thing will be over.

BTW, if you are so phobic about pelvic exams for reasons that have nothing to do with the exam itself, you might want to talk to a professional about it. I get the feeling that your reticence has less to do with the medical procedure, than with some experience that you had earlier in life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:25 pm
Sorry re your needing the biopsy, J_B, but really glad that if it's positive it's such an early find. (Been there, done that.) Trust me, I never let my mammo date pass without getting it done; well, I didn't before either, that's why mine was caught so early... Will be thinking of you that day...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 04:07 pm
Best to you, J_B, will be thinking of you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:18 pm
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Right now it's just the waiting that's hard. I'm doing pretty well at staying busy and we have a very busy weekend coming up that should keep my mind from running away with things. I supposedly get the results back Tuesday afternoon; Monday into Tuesday will be the longest haul. I've told Mr B, but haven't said anything to the girls yet. If it all turns out ok then I won't say much of anything. I'll deal with the alternative if it happens.

Thanks again!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:44 pm
Pap smear was positive for my darling wife several years ago. She had day surgery to correct the problem. No positves since then.......... thank god.
she is around 40 years of age.

Annual pap smears saved her life!!!!!!!!!

Nuns dont get cervical cancer, so our doctor tells us.

http://www.antennaornaments.com/bin/img/product/0210005_pink_ribbon_breast_cancer_awarness_ribbon.jpg

Do you girls do the breast cancer awareness thing each year? buy a pink ribbon to support breast cancer awareness/research? I buy my wife one every year and the she make me wear it for a week.

And I'm proud to do it too. (I love my boobies).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:44 pm
JB
Wishing you well and my thoughts are with you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:22 pm
Thanks, Montana, I appreciate the thought.

MG - Hopefully this turns out to be just a scare for me and it goes into my file as new calcifications to be watched. The point is, without regular exams there is no way of knowing what's going on. The guidelines were created for a reason. Whatever issues you have are in the past; the idea of them affecting your future and preventing you from getting proper medical care is important. I agree with Phoenix, anyone who 'enjoys' going to the dentist should be able to endure an annual pap smear.

I wasn't kidding when I suggested searching for a gyno that would prescribe a single-dose tranquilizer for you to get through the procedure. It really is NO BIG DEAL and can save your life.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:51 pm
J_B, I just found this thread. Will say a special prayer for Monday, that it turns out to be nothing. In fact, I will say a second prayer, too...that you get the results back as quickly as possible. (I agree...the waiting is absolutely the worst part. Hang in there, sweetie.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 09:55 pm
J_B,

That was brave of you to post that. I hope your follow-ups are okay. Good idea to encourage others to be diligent about this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 10:00 pm
No, hearing the word positive is worse than waiting, to me.

But, that is the whole point. Given there are lurking clusters, early is actually great, in an odd way.

Finding early is good.

Benign is way better.

Hearing the word positive is difficult.

Eva, didn't mean that first line to sound been-there snotty. Just flatout how I feel.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 12:46 am
J_B....(((hugs))) I'll be thinking of you all weekend and well into next week, sending the very best wishes I can your way. As I was reading this thread all the way through, I got pangs of heartache and cursed myself for not being more diligent about my own yearly exams.

Always using the excuse that "when I get less busy, I'll make my appointment" really doesn't cut it now does it? Given the family history on my mom's side, her and all four of her sisters have or had cancer(s). Between them and one of my first cousins, there has been 4 cases of breast cancer, two ovarian cancer, one cervical cancer, one lung cancer, one lymph node cancer, one bladder cancer, one colon cancer and two liver cancers. Thirteen cancers between six women should be enough to be screaming loud and clear into my own head to get into the doctor post haste.

I am "only" 9 months overdue for both my PAP and Mammogram. I have to call tomorrow for an appointment.....
0 Replies